[Finished]CC Monthly Series [May 2015]

Here's my entry. I posted this elsewhere already, but I made a few adjustments to it.

KblVTTo.jpg

Lore: 1 Zombie-Type + 1 FIRE Attribute Warrior-Type Monster

Once per turn, at the beginning of your Battle Phase, target 1 monster your opponent controls; destroy all other monsters on the field except "Knight of Bloody Flames". If your opponent controls no monsters at the beginning of your Battle Phase, send this card to the Graveyard.

Design Notes: This card is based off of Asch the Bloody from Tales of the Abyss. The nuking effect that spares only itself and one card your opponent controls is a reference to his One-On-One battle with Luke in Yulia City. The basic idea for the effect was to single out a weak card and destroy it via battle.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to enter, and I have an entry card.

11209418_646225615521650_300284199739730

Lore: During your standby phase, you may tribute Ross, Brave Youth to special summon a level 5 or higher Warrior-Type monster from your hand.

Notes: This card is Ross from Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones. I decided to try and incorporate Ross's ability to change from his trainee class to a normal class without the need of a special item.

Alright, here's my entry:

igZqWu3.jpg

[spoiler=Card Lore]

Can be Special Summoned (from your hand) by banishing 1 DARK monster from your Graveyard. You can only control 1 face-up "Iron Spider". If this card is Normal Summoned: Place 3 counters on it. You can send this card with 3 counters to the Graveyard; draw 1 card. If a monster you control would be destroyed by card effect, you can remove 1 counter from this card instead.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler=Design Notes]

The Iron Spider Armor was made by Tony Stark for Spider Man during the Civil War event. Because it's known to provide a lot of utility similar to Iron Man's suits, I wanted this card to have the same multi-purpose ability. Since the Iron Spider's most notable features are his mechanical spider arms or "waldoes", I chose to portray them as counters which can provide different advantages depending on the situation.

[/spoiler]

I guess Hawai'i got their finals done earlier than you guys (although we likely start classes earlier too); graduation's all wrapped up on our end.

If that's the case for a lot of other people, I may consider extending the deadline a bit; but not too much since I'd like to have grades in before the month ends.

June's one will be hosted by myself once more (theme should be better by then), and July, we will see how things go.

Maybe I can have Zex host that one if he's free this summer.

I'll enter:

wy7efV7.jpg

Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 face-up Machine-Type monster you control; equip this card from your hand or your side of the field to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it in face-up Attack Position. While equipped by this effect, if the equipped monster battles a monster, the equipped monster gains 1000 ATK during the damage step only. If the equipped monster attacks or is attacked, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step. If the equipped monster leaves the field and this card is sent to the graveyard as result: you can special summon this card. You can only use this effect of "Tails the Genius Fox" once per turn. You can only control 1 "Tails the Genius Fox".

In the more recent Sonic the Hedgehog games/anime, as in about the time it went 3D and later, Tails is a great mechanic and excellent pilot. Thus

"Once per turn, you can either: Target 1 face-up Machine-Type monster you control; equip this card from your hand or your side of the field to that target, OR: Unequip this card and Special Summon it in face-up Attack Position. While equipped by this effect, if the equipped monster battles a monster, the equipped monster gains 1000 ATK during the damage step only. If the equipped monster attacks or is attacked, your opponent cannot activate cards or effects until the end of the Damage Step." I wanted something more outside the box then destruction negation so I ended up with this.

He's also known to survive crash landings, thus "If the equipped monster leaves the field and this card is sent to the graveyard as result: you can special summon this card. You can only use this effect of "Tails the Genius Fox" once per turn."

"You can only control 1 "Tails the Genius Fox"." because Tails is a one of a kind character in the series, and to prevent equipping multiple copies to the same monster

Beast-Warrior type because of all the support that type has. I was thinking beast, but I decided to go for playability over arguable accuracy.

P.S. Sakura, you have my permission to upload this card to DP and try it out in mecha phantom beasts or whatever you see fit.

Terra, the Fallen Warrior

EARTH

Warrior/Effect

2700/1500

You can Normal Summon/Set this card without Tributing, but its original ATK becomes 1800. Once per turn: You can change this card's Level to 4, until the end of the turn. Once per Chain, during either player's turn, when a Spell Card, Trap Card, or monster effect is activated that would destroy this card: You can have this card lose exactly 500 ATK and DEF, and if you do, that activation is negated.

A while ago, I made a card with the flavor of Terra's fall into darkness as the hands of Xehanort with this card. Now, Terra is an interesting character in that his abilities in KH are more than what could be represented on a card. Therefore, the first two effects are a way to utilize "Submit to the Dark!" and add to the flavor of the cards. Also, the first effect speaks to his rush into battle as Birth By Sleep demonstrates; however, the second effect can let him work as a combo piece as the game also demonstrates with him working along with Ventus and Aqua. The third effect deal with Terra's most powerful ability Second Chance, but formatted it like "Light and Darkness Dragon" to limits its abuse.

Finally got it in!

b9jfgJM.jpg

[spoiler='Lore']1 Level 8 or higher non-Machine-Type monster + 1 Machine-Type monster
Must first be Fusion Summoned (from your Extra Deck) by sending the above cards from either side of the field to the Graveyard. (You do not use "Polymerization".) This card cannot be targeted or destroyed by monster effects. When this card destroys a monster by battle: You can banish 1 monster you control or from your Graveyard; banish that monster instead of sending it to the Graveyard.
[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Flavor']

[spoiler='Xenoblade Chronicles Spoilers']

[spoiler='Character Synopsis']

Zanza is the main antagonist of the game Xenoblade Chronicles. He is a God who, through his powers to foresee the future, managed to obtain both his original Monado (representing the Bionis) and Lady Meyneth's Monado (representing the Mechonis) and united both of them to become the form shown above. This is seen in the final battle. For more information read here. [/spoiler]

• The summoning conditions of this card relates to Zanza's possession of both the Bionis and Mechonis' Monados.
  • The part on "either side of the field" in its summoning condition is a representation of the sacrifices (from both worlds) that were made to resurrect Zanza and re-awaken the Bionis.
  • The banishing on destruction and banishing from your own Graveyard is symbolic of Zanza's otherworldly and godly prowess, that influences nearly everything (in this case, both players).
  • His immunity of being targeted or destroyed by monster effects also represents his status as a God, untouchable by most creatures in the Xenoblade Chronicles universe.  [/spoiler][/spoiler]

[spoiler='Virtuous Vampire']

894498LV5VirtuousVampire.png

**Effect:
When a card(s) is sent from your opponent's Deck to the Graveyard; you can Special Summon this card from your Graveyard. You can only Special Summon "Virtuous Vampire" once per turn this way. Once per turn, you can activate 1 of these effects.
● Declare 1 card type (Monster, Spell, or Trap); your opponent sends 1 card of that type from their Deck to the Graveyard.
● Send 1 “Vampire” monster from your Deck to the Graveyard.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Notes']

Mikaela Hyakuya is the deuteragonist of the Owari no Seraph series. He is an incomplete vampire:

As a human, Mika was kind and upbeat in spite of the harsh events in his childhood. Mika was shown to be cunning. He allowed Ferid Bathory to drink his blood in exchange for good food, but Mika's true purpose was to steal a map in order to escape with the other children.

However, Ferid expected this and slaughtered Mika's family in front of him. By sacrificing himself, Mika was able to protect Yu, but he was fatally injured in the process. He pushed Yū, insisting he escape and leave Mika behind. In his final moments, he was happy that Yū finally accepted them as his family and stated that he could die in peace as long as at least Yū survived.
Unfortunately, Mika is turned into a vampire against his will and comes to hate vampires more than ever.
  • The Special Summon effects is related with the fact that Mika was revived as a Vampire.

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Virtuous Vampire']

894498LV5VirtuousVampire.png

[/spoiler]

[spoiler='Notes']

Mikaela Hyakuya is the deuteragonist of the Owari no Seraph series. He is an incomplete vampire:

As a human, Mika was kind and upbeat in spite of the harsh events in his childhood. Mika was shown to be cunning. He allowed Ferid Bathory to drink his blood in exchange for good food, but Mika's true purpose was to steal a map in order to escape with the other children.

However, Ferid expected this and slaughtered Mika's family in front of him. By sacrificing himself, Mika was able to protect Yu, but he was fatally injured in the process. He pushed Yū, insisting he escape and leave Mika behind. In his final moments, he was happy that Yū finally accepted them as his family and stated that he could die in peace as long as at least Yū survived.
Unfortunately, Mika is turned into a vampire against his will and comes to hate vampires more than ever.
  • The Special Summon effects is related with the fact that Mika was revived as a Vampire.

[/spoiler]

...You missed the deadline, y'know.

If you entered a week ago, then you would've been okay.

Although I did contemplate extending it, since final exams are occurring for some of you right now.

As for the grading, I'm still working on it; just that I have been a bit preoccupied with other business offline (such as setting up arrangements for driving lessons and others).

I duly apologize for the week and a half lag in the contest ending and the grades being posted right now.

Due to real life issues (driving tests, doing job applications, lack of sleep) and other matters, I didn't have the time to post it quicker.

In any case, your marks.

There are some general remarks about why your cards were graded the way they were; OCG was left blank, but if you did lose points; generally for wording errors.

Remember, OCG/spelling mistakes are only 0.5 point deductions; so if you make a mistake there, don't worry about it. Provided I can still understand what you meant, you should do well.

You should try to use proper wording, but also make sure I understand it. If there is conflicting wording between official cards, I won't mark off.

[spoiler=Scores]

I was writing this on a text editor [as in the kind used for doing coding], so please excuse the formatting.

Your scores should still be readable though.

STANDARD
B/U : 50
C   : 30
O   : 20
T   : 100

Alpakha
B/U : 41 (Basically a Creature Swap with a limited range of targets + requires another 'mon out, although 2300 ATK is still a sizable amount with things. Also chains with Foolish Burial; probably one of the only ways you're going to be triggering this.)
C   : 27 (I can say that the name/effect fit the card pretty much)
O   : 18 (If/when statements and usage of the colon/semicolon; otherwise, I could understand the effect.)
T   : 85.5

ReneTCG
B/U : 38 (Dragon Rulers are a way to make this, but bear in mind that they are currently banned. Red-Eyes can make this, yes, but it'll otherwise be a Vanilla. Or you use the Extra Deck Dragons to make it. I'm assuming the effects are mandatory, given the wording. Also keep in mind that the LIGHT effect is moot, since we don't know what these Dragons of Legend do; since they do not exist. Basically points are on usability and balance; some dropped on the former because Rulers are banned right now [unless you find a way to make it efficiently]. Balance is technically fine)
C   : 27 (Looking at the flavor notes and some extra things on Spyro, the effects fit him well. I personally feel that the EARTH effect could've been a bit more, since it's rather unlikely you'll be using those points often unless your opponent has a monster that you cannot run over in battle at the moment.)
O   : 18 (Provided below)
T   : 83

Gadjiltron
B/U : 49 (Indeed, while this card does grant it access to copy nearly everything in its path; save for Xyz, the OPT clause on it helps to prevent any weird interactions. There are some Xyz that you could hypothetically steal the effects of + activate without the need for detach; but yeah, better to do that than to figure out how things will work with the detaching and stuff. At the end of all this, either Satori makes a difference between victory/defeat, or she's a 1500 ATK target. Most likely, you'll be able to do something useful with her during that turn.)
C   : 29 (A bit iffy on it being partly based on Number 8, but if Satori is indeed capable of copying others, then suppose that part was inevitable.)
T   : 98

GarlandChaos
B/U : 40 (While I have some doubts regarding it being a walking field nuke, the materials themselves aren't particularly easy to come by, so suppose it compensates for its rather uncommon materials with a nuke effect. TBH, not really sure what Decks are capable of running this efficiently given that, although it is helpful for getting a smaller monster out to cause as much damage as possible. Then it blows itself up if your opponent lacks a 'mon by the next turn; just keep that in mind)
C   : 22 (Not really a fan of it being an walking Dark Hole / field-wipe, although Hot RDA is already known for it as well [albeit restrained to Attack Position stuff]. Then again, it blows itself up if your opponent doesn't have a monster by the time you attack.)
O   : 18 (Basically the trigger part of its first effect is worded improperly; (when action occurs): what comes next. Otherwise, nothing major and effect is still readable)
T   : 80

Woloa
B/U : 39 (This essentially allows you to SS a boss without Tributing; somewhat like how Red-Eyes Chick functions, but this one has more options [depending on the Deck you run this in]. Then again, it needs to remain on the field in order to work. Stat-wise, it's decent and certainly is searchable via RoTA. )
C   : 22 (Works similarly to Red-Eyes B. Chick, but with more options. As-is, effect likely represents this change.)
O   : 15 (Capitalization and some wording things [we use "can", not "may" in card effects; even if in standard English, it's the reverse]; the OCG was scaled a little harder in this case due to it being a shorter effect and mistakes being rather visible)
T   : 76

Instinct
B/U : 48 (As much as I'd worry about this card being able to make R4s rather quickly because of the banishing effect, there aren't too many Decks that can really abuse it. Chaos decks likely have better things to do, and even if you SS it, most you get out of it is a 1900 beater [which is by no means bad]. Either you can Tribute him for a draw OR get some protection from stray Raigeki/Exciton or whatever field wipes exist.)
C   : 28 (Fitting in with the multi-use thing, the dual effects are a nice touch.)
O   : 19 (Protection effect is an "if (effect): do action. But otherwise, everything is fine)
T   : 95

I Hate Snatch Steal
B/U : 45 (It gives the equipped monster a sort of Ancient Gear clause both ways, but definitely helpful in blocking stray backrow or something. I have some doubts about Tails's capacity to shut down effects while the equipped monster is battling, especially coupled with the ATK boost during monster battles. In terms of interactions with MPBs, this can give them a little more protection if their Tokens are gone or you'd rather not deal with backrow and/or other hand traps. I wouldn't say the ATK boost is unwelcome; it certainly is appreciated for getting over threats. Special Summoning ability is nice though, and allows you to re-equip this later on [or provide a wall if needed])
C   : 29 (Flavor fits in with what Tails is known for doing in the series. In terms of the typing, Beast-Warrior probably works here since Tails is technically an anthro.)
O   : 18 (Some capitalization errors)
T   : 92

Striker
B/U : 45 (It's an easily summonable Level 8 with an ATK drop should you summon it without Tributing; also can help with R4 things if needed or if you manage to get two out, make a free Rank 8. Protection is certainly nice, meaning that your opponent will pretty much have to resort to battle destruction if they want to get rid of it; you have 3 uses if you NS it without Tribute, and 5 if you do. To be honest, this card will not likely need to use all of its protection chances, or rather it likely won't. I just worry about this being easy setup for R8 things [given how the game is nowadays], although there aren't too many Warrior decks that can readily make L8s quickly from what I know. Definitely has its usages if you need him for a wall or something in pinch situations.)
C   : 29 (Second effect works with that card you linked, so flavor points there. Same goes with his protection effect; at least you made the effect close to the actual ability of Second Chance while making it work in the actual game.)
T   : 94

----------------
Chivalry
B/U : 31 (I'm not really keen on this being an even more liberal version of Chimeratech Fortress in terms of requirements; especially given its immunity and other things. Flavor-wise, it works but translated to Yugioh; it's on the overpowering side to an extent. I could see this being used in a Machine deck and then just use this to steal your opponent's bosses [assuming they are not Xyz and/or playing Machines]. Or you can do the reverse; run this in a Deck that revolves around high Level Fairies, and use this as an anti-tech against Machines. While yes, this card can still be killed via S/T removal or straight-up fighting; considering the fact that it is still revivable from the Graveyard if your opponent does manage to target its few weaknesses and gets rid of it, still a bit much. Then, we have the Dimensional Fissure/Dark Law-esque effect, but since you'll need to banish other monsters you have to do so, this part is okay [although you'll probably use the Graveyard for resources unless you absolutely need things in there)
C   : 23
O   : 19.5 (if/when thing in last effect)
T   : 77.5

[/spoiler]

As a whole, I am rather satisfied with the entries thus far.

I will leave this open for a day or two to answer any questions regarding the scoring and whatnot, then I'll award prizes.

If you feel you deserved a higher score, feel free to mention it to me and I'll have another look at the card once more + award points back if needed.

I took longer to grade each card in better detail, given the current cardpool, but again ask if you have questions.

So...you docked points in creativity...because you've never played The Legend of Spyro. Please tell me I'm not the only one that sees the problem here. I could understand the deduction if you had said something like "the effects were uninspired" or the like, but "I'm not a Spyro player" just seems lazy and arbitrary. Who cares if you don't play Spyro? You obviously don't play Touhou, and yet you gave Gajitron a 29.

I won't complain about the usability score in reference to the Dragon Rulers, because yeah, the Dragon Rulers are banned in Advanced (keep in mind that Traditional is a thing, though). But there are many options to go Rank 7. For instance: Summon Level 4 Dragon, summon, say, Lightray Diablos, Creation Magician pendulum effect, change Level 4 Dragon to Level 7, Xyz Summon. Also DNA Transplant and target Level 7 anything other dragons, Xyz Summon. It takes 1 more card than just the material, but it's just as easy as summoning the Dragon Rulers.

And you didn't touch on anything about the Balance of my card, past referring to the LIGHT effect as moot.

And, in true Sakura fashion, I don't know what part of my OCG was off and/or wrong.

I'll look over Rene's card again, and evaluate the scores accordingly (same with yours, Striker).

Rene, the balance was actually fine; just that usability sort of killed you in that regard.

If I don't mention anything regarding the balance, it generally means that you're fine there.

There is the DNA Surgery/Traditional thing, yes, but stuff is usually graded on the Advanced format and whether or not the combination is feasible to pull off without jumping through a ton of loops.

In terms of the creativity, it's not only how you referenced the character, but what sort of effect did you choose here to represent that, given the description.

Mostly, it's in terms of what you chose to do; but there is some personal opinion on it. I'm pretty lenient on the creativity, since certain things can happen.

OCG-wise, I'll do that now. Points weren't deducted because of the OCG numbering; tbh, we should probably get those.

2 Level 7 Dragon-Type monsters
This card's Attribute is also treated as the Attributes of the Xyz Material attached to this card. You can only activate 1 effect of "Elder Dragon of Legend, Spyro" once per turn. ① While this card is treated as FIRE: Detach 1 Xyz Material from this card and target 1 monster your opponent controls; destroy that card. ② While this card is treated as WATER: Detach 1 Xyz Material from this card and target 1 monster your opponent controls; that card cannot attack or change its battle position until your next Standby Phase. ③ While this card is treated as EARTH: This card gains 500 DEF. ④ While this card is treated as LIGHT: Detach 1 Xyz Material from this card; Special Summon 1 Level 4 "Dragon of Legend" from your hand or Graveyard.

Let's see here; there were only 4 mistakes in here; most of them are just capitalization things (so that would only amount to a 2-point deduction there, instead of the 3 that's shown).

----

Your OCG mark is 18, which means your current score is 80. 

I'll look over both of your cards and adjust the grades accordingly; I apologize for the inconvenience.

----

Newer marks have been updated, and changed in the regular post.

Again, the recent drama hasn't exactly been helpful in grading these cards appropriately.

For OCG, if I minus points; it's generally because of small capitalization and colon usage things. Majority of your grade there is based on whether or not I understand the intent.

Archived