[Finished]CC Monthly Series [November 2015]

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In normal cases, I'm not fond of this being able to SS stuff from the OPPONENT'S deck to be honest, even with the Level restriction, but since it requires Zombies, it's not as bad. (Zombie World exists)

I'm not quote sure I understand what you mean here. Zombie World does not work with Summoning from the Deck, and, in any case, my dragon doesn't summon from the Deck. I'm happy with the scores, I just would like to know what you meant.

Need to sleep @_@ Scores are in.

[spoiler Rubric Summary]Balance/Useability (60)
- Balance (30): Does this card outclass something that's already really good? What problematic interactions does it enable?
- Useability (30): What about this card would make people want to run it? Could it have potentially problematic interactions without needing incredibly specific mechanisms?

Creativity/Flavour (20)
- Is it more than just stapling a generic effect you can find in nearly every archetype? Does the effect and interactions try to convey the card's "personality"?

OCG/Syntax (20)
- OCG (5): You're only docked points if your templating is noticeably off.
- Syntax (15): Can I understand how your card is supposed to work? Can I figure out the more intricate interactions (targets, what happens if targets are lost, etc) without needing to raise a ruling query?

[spoiler Striker]Decent for a generic LV7 Synchro. A shame the banishment is only temporary so most of the time you bring this out to open a hole in the opponent's defenses to either dismantle the rest of their board state or push for damage. Tuner recycling effect is a bit iffy, since last I recall a number of Tuner interactions have a tendency to be Graveyard retrieval or straight-up revival. While sitting in the P-Zone, it becomes a useful Scale 9 (fair enough given the effort one needs to put it there) that acts as a Stardust Spark Dragon. Overall, fairly good and doesn't try to outshine its competition.

Balance - 28
Useability - 25 (I say it's good for its generic LV7 Synchro category, but maybe those Decks with better LV7 Synchro options might think otherwise.)
Creativity - 18
OCG - 5
Syntax - 5
Total - 91

[spoiler The Taken King]Curious. When I think of DARK, WIND, and Winged Beasts, the first thing that comes to mind is Dark Simorgh. Followed by RRs, BFs, and Harpies. Not sure why this would also treat itself as Reptile-Type outside of flavour reasons. Excellent on-Summon ability allows one to bypass floaters or indestructibility, and while the mill effect is optional I'm hard-pressed to find a situation where one would want to use it. Scale 3 is not exactly the best of the lower-end Scales, though it can still do the job under most circumstances, but while in the P-Zone that's one hell of an amazing support effect that can help a player, say, put out more copies of this card. I can potentially see the Black Whirlwind synergies that will arise from this card's presence.

Balance - 25 (Such a wide supportive P-Zone effect, coupled with its slightly lenient Summon restrictions, can lead to abuseability with anything that could splash a Winged Beast. I'd be a little more comfortable if the extra NS only applied to a Type.)
Useability - 26 (Several attributes of this card don't seem to synergize well. Stray Reptile dual type doesn't seem to contribute past flavour.)
Creativity - 19
OCG - 4 ("...shuffle it into the Deck, then if that target was a Monster with a Level, you can also send a number of cards...")
Syntax - 15
Total - 89

[spoiler Kanashi no Hanashi]Okay, Normal Pendulum. Easier to judge. Scale 9 offers some drastic versatility, so it's understandable that you attach that restriction. What does pique my interest is how you can use this card itself to give your opponent a bad time, denying them a potential Pendulum effect and also locking out their Pendulum Summon shenanigans, while gaining one for yourself. As a fan of Creature Swap, that's a pretty cool tech.

Balance - 26 (My one problem with this card is the feelbad that ensues when you swap it over. Like a floodgate.)
Useability - 26 (Splashable, Tuner, Pendulum locker, only thing holding it back is whether a Deck can find space for it.)
Creativity - 20
OCG - 5
Syntax - 15
Total - 92

[spoiler DovaCardMaker]Scale 9s seem to be pretty popular. Well, considering the range they can reach, it shouldn't be much of a surprise. Locking Summons in exchange is a fair enough tradeoff for an otherwise easily accessible Scale 9. Zombie Decks seem to be a thing of the past, yet somehow they just keep getting little bits of buffs and don't actually fade into antiquity. Being able to recycle Zombies or load the Graveyard with fresh ones offers great utility. Throw in Zombie World and the interactions expand a little.

As a monster, it has the very curious effect of going to the Graveyard like every other non-Pendulum monster. While this partially defies the usual Pendulum mechanic, it also opens itself up to standard Zombie Graveyard synergies, turning this into more of an upside. Normal Summon effect is a standard Zombie Reborn effect that can synergize with Zombie World, but also with the added bonus of SS'ing any Zombie Pendulum Monster... and the only card that fits that bill so far is PM Captor. On-revive effect does a small mill, which can either expand the Graveyard for more graverobbing fun or potentially set up the opponent's effective second hand. Still a good Zombie overall.

Balance - 27 (Careful with that revival wording. It doesn't look like it targets.)
Useability - 27
Creativity - 19
OCG - 5
Syntax - 13
Total - 91

[spoiler Xander Royce]A simple card with simple effects, but unfortunately I don't see a lot of roles this can fit into. Sadly overshadowed by a fair amount of other options.

Balance - 30
Useability - 20
Creativity - 16
OCG - 5
Syntax - 15
Total - 86

[spoiler Aman Indra]This card's a Pendulum Monster, and it gets immunity to monster effects if you control a Pendulum Monster. See a problem here? I believe it was meant to happen if you controlled another Pendulum Monster, but it's a bit too late to make amends here. That said, it's only blanket-immune to other monster effects, so it's still vulnerable to S/T removal and doesn't instantly become super unstoppable.

Pendulum Effect is a pretty decent swing in advantage which consumes a resource that is not the easiest thing to set up conveniently. The 1000 LP also checks how often it can be used to restrict its long-term gains.

Balance - 24
Useability - 27
Flavour - 15
OCG - 4 (Target selection goes before semicolons.)
Syntax - 15

[spoiler Reptilious]A rather... interesting Fusion. As it can utilize any 2 Pendulum Monsters and can "contact fuse", it becomes useable in any Pendulum-based Deck that has at least 1 free Extra Deck slot to use, resulting in a very bizarre splashable Pendulum Macro Cosmos that will screw over any Pendulum matchup that depends on sustained advantage generated from the Pendulum Monster mechanics. (Which is almost all of them.)

While it has rather lackluster base stats, it easily reaches the acceptable point of 2400 ATK for a 2-investment Extra Deck monster. What results is a little beatstick that can easily prove itself very difficult to get rid of since it can SS itself from the P-Zone or the Extra Deck (face-up or face-down), while also dodging removal by returning some of its Material. Yes, its power level can fluctuate easily. However, when the card can synergize with other copies of itself, it quickly becomes clear that it's a problem waiting to escalate.

Balance - 18
Useability - 27
Flavour - 17
OCG - 4
Syntax - 15
Total - 81

[spoiler cardgameking]Scale 9 again, but this time with very tight restrictions. You need to jump through several hoops to get this card in the P-Zone, but if your opponent can read and understand the consequences behind attacking the card, they won't do it. You get ridiculous negation abilities if you actually get it into your P-Zone, but that final step is largely under the opponent's control so you'd might as well never see this card there.

Balance - 15 (When your payoffs are so high that you have to make incredible restrictions, you might want to tone things down.)
Useability - 10 (Considering existing Blue-Eyes support and how much easier it is to use those cards, there really is no reason to run this card.)
Flavour - 17
OCG - 2
Syntax - 14 (Well, I still can understand this, but the templating really needs work.)
Total - 58

[spoiler asterr259]An intriguing card that won't look out of place as a main character's ace monster. The monster effect is nice for doing massive damage if you plan correctly, but the main attraction of this card is its easily accessible Pendulum effect. Never mind the usage restriction, just destroy the card itself and you get instant access to a Fusion or RUM. No need to worry about actually being able to Summon this card the normal way, I'm perfectly fine with it being a RUN tutor where necessary. I mean, remember those times when Qliphorts use Odd-Eyes for the sake of tutoring Scout?

Balance - 22 (RUM/Fusion tutoring is neat and all, but let's not forget Raidraptors have the widest variety of RUM available. I mean, they're not top-tier or anything yet, but when you can, at a moment's notice, access nearly every part of your Extra Deck...)
Useability - 27 (Still have to give its flexibility credit.)
Flavour - 18
OCG - 5
Syntax - 15
Total - 87

I took LS into consideration (now that they have Raiden/Felice, etc), then thought about other stuff like PSYFrames and the like.

But yes, I may have missed a few obvious ones; even in Decks that no one uses anymore.

Yet it can be used outside of Chaos, which is a key point since I wanted my good friend to have some flexibility in how it can be played. That has to be worth some points I imagine? And tbh, I do see Lighrsworn having this around as a good tech in the ED as it can be Summoned well in it.

Also Admiral of nAvigation been missing like about 10 days (since 27 Nov), should we wait for him? or anything?

At this point, no.

I'll just take Gadjiltron and my scores and make it out of 200.

@Striker: I haven't looked at it because home internet was out yesterday.

However, I'll award you back 2 points on its usability, so that pushes your overall grade to 90.

(Aman has an 85 from Gadjiltron, for ease of addition)

----

I'll be honest; I had to ask evilfusion for a ruling query on cardgameking's card, given how it was worded and all.

Archived