Game of Thrones

Aix

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oooh that Night King. Yeah completely different. Didn't Bran tell his story at the Night Fort in season 4?

Eh, there was still no night watch before there was a wall. And there was no wall in the war vs the children.

I'm just hyped for Cold Hands!

My money is on Benjen. Lol.

Oooh that Night King. Yeah completely different. Didn't Bran tell his story at the Night Fort in season 4?

My money is on Benjen. Lol.

That was the Rat's cook in season 3. Talking about the penalties of breaking guest right. 

The historical Night's King has never been mentioned on the show. He is one of the many pieces of mythos that hasn't been mentioned. 

[spoiler=Spoiler]

That scene with Tommen and Margaery was boring as funk, but I didn't think she actually meant all the things she said. I thought it was some kind of ruse to get out of the black cells. Then you see Tommen come out with the kingsguard and their new armor. I actually don't completely understand what's going on there, but it feels like Tommen just got played. Big time. 

Called that Benjen + Coldhands combo. Not how I thought it would turn out, but yeah. It's only for the TV show, obviously, but it was pretty cool to see Benjen come back like that. You got Bran drinking Rabbit's blood. I guess it's the stuff the Bloodraven makes him drink the book. I still believe in Jojen Paste, but I can see why they did it like this on the show. 

No Tormund x Brienne sex scene?  No clips from Jon and Sansa? Aww...

Dany sensing Drogon and returning on his back was predictable. I like how they're kinda foreshadowing Dany getting the ships from Euron or maybe Yara (Asha).

Mercy vs the Waif is long awaited. I cannot wait to see Mercy wipe the floor with that stuck up jabroni. I knew she wouldn't kill the performer. It seemed obvious actually. I kinda want her to kill Jaqen as well. That guy annoys me. Not sure why, but he does. 

Samwell being eaten up by his father and haing Gilly protect him... Was pretty dull in my opinion. I did, however, love the fact that Samwell is gonna run off with Heartsbane. I'm looking forward to seeing how that plays out. 

Overall, Great episode. I give it a 8/10

Didn't Martin say that cold hands WASN'T Benjen? Granted that the book is behind the show and Benjen could still come after the Door *sobs*

There's still a chance that Benjen will be something completely different in the books. Martin said he wasn't Coldhands. Remember, the books are more complex than the show. It's way easier for the show to combine Benjen and Coldhands since they have a lot of leeway. 

What if Bran wargs into Jaime to kill the mad King?

Why would he when Jamie actually wanted to do that? How would that help the story or Jamie's character in any fashion if Bran made Jamie killed Aerys instead of Jamie deciding to? Bran being able to warg  through time does not mean he is the root cause of every decision ever character has made. 

Also the Blackfish has finally finished his piss. Good times. Good times.

Why would he when Jamie actually wanted to do that? How would that help the story or Jamie's character in any fashion if Bran made Jamie killed Aerys instead of Jamie deciding to? Bran being able to warg through time does not mean he is the root cause of every decision ever character has made.

Also the Blackfish has finally finished his piss. Good times. Good times.

It does seem fringe and unlike Bran.

I do think the other argument (Bran and Mad King) might hold some water though

Burn them all? White Walkers? Burn Corpses?

I'm pretty sure he was talking about the rebels. He might have been talking about the citizens. Lol

I get that. But let's say Bran tries to warn him about the White Walker invasion, and those voices only the mad King can see are what drive him crazy.

He might be talking about the rebels now, but it just bothers me that burning the corpses, all of em is what we need to do now

And that becomes the mad king's catchphrase even as he dies

Do you not remember the books...?

The Mad King loved burning people alive, he loved to watch flames lick up men as he had them executed. It's why he had Rickon Stark burned alive in particular, why he had a hand burnt alive as well. 

At the very end, he sent his Pyromancer Hand to ignite the Wildfire caches under the city and let Robert reign over the ashes. He also was speculated to think he'd rise from the dead as a Dragon like Aerion Brightflame thought. To take quotes from Aerys's mouth;

'I want him dead, the traitor. I want his head, you’ll bring me his head, or you’ll burn with all the rest. All the traitors.' 

'The traitors want my city ... but I’ll give them naught but ashes. Let Robert be king over charred bones and cooked meat'

So comments about 'Burn them all' are almost without doubt in reference to the traitors besetting Aerys's realm at the very end. I don't think there is any textual evidence of any kind to suggest that Bran warged into the Mad King to drive him insane. Especially because Aerys's madness pre-dates the Wildfire plot. Because the wildfire plot was in response to the loss of the Battle of the Bells, which is several years after Aerys actually went properly loony. So Bran sending visions of the walkers is incredibly unlikely to be the cause of it in place of the Fire just giving him a hard on. 

I don't think there is a lick of textual evidence to support your theory. Across any of the written mediums. I imagine the show bringing it up is just to rehash the idea of 'Oh sheet there's a massive amount of incendiaries under King's Landing', not trying to hint that Bran caused it. 

Hmm, wasn't so much talking about the wildfire plot as maybe the love of burning men came from Bran Warging the Walker threat.

My "evidence" was mostly from the voices the MK started hearing?

I was thinking the bittersweet ending of ASOIF would be Bran being one of the last alive, and him trying to send images of WW & Dragons (three heads) fighting them. The Ice and the Fire. MK would then come to enjoy the burning and the 7kingdoms would be trapped in a sort of Groundhog Day situation

That being said, yes, it's been a few years since so read the books and I'm working through them right now again (only on Clash :' )

I've already explained hat though... Madness, is a Targaryean trait, and the Mad King had glimpses of it his entire life. It got worse after his kidnapping, but he was always mad. It's not a sudden event that happened, just a logical event made it much much worse. 

It's a nice theory it's just... not supported and feels poor thematically. Because it takes so much away from everyone else if Bran is the cause of every little event that happens. 

I've already explained hat though... Madness, is a Targaryean trait, and the Mad King had glimpses of it his entire life. It got worse after his kidnapping, but he was always mad. It's not a sudden event that happened, just a logical event made it much much worse. 

It's a nice theory it's just... not supported and feels poor thematically. Because it takes so much away from everyone else if Bran is the cause of every little event that happens. 

Fair, I need to read more into the books before I can make a proper argument for it (and the other one that Jamie and Cercei are the bastards and Tyrion is Tywin's only real son)

until then, there's some interesting discussion from people who know the books better than me here

https://www.reddit.com/r/gameofthrones/comments/4ii81u/everything_bran_stark_the_mad_king_and_everything/

Its actually really dope how the original actors for Edmure, Blackfish and Benjen are all returning after such a long absence (especially Benjen). Benjen looks really worse for wear, the guy has probably been through some sheet. It just reminds you how futile the rest of the conflict in the show is in the bigger picture. 

[spoiler= Random thought on R+L+J]

The show and book actually hints at this numerous times. Wouldn't it be funny if it turned out to be wrong? 

What if they were just misleading us and want us to believe this is a thing. Intentionally trolling us. It's most likely true, but what if it's not?

What if Lyanna stabbed herself or something and told Ned to keep the embarrassment a secret. 

That sounds dumb, I know, but you see what I'm getting at. What if Ned really did have a bastard? 

That would be some funny sheet right? All this hype for nothing. Lol

The show and book actually hints at this numerous times. Wouldn't it be funny if it turned out to be wrong? 

What if they were just misleading us and want us to believe this is a thing. Intentionally trolling us. It's most likely true, but what if it's not?

What if Lyanna stabbed herself or something and told Ned to keep the embarrassment a secret. 

That sounds dumb, I know, but you see what I'm getting at. What if Ned really did have a bastard? 

That would be some funny sheet right? All this hype for nothing. Lol

[spoiler=hmm]

Dayne's sister? It's possible. I'm starting to think Jamie and Cercie are the real Targ kids and Tyrion is Tywins only real so

[spoiler=Responses]

That would be some funny s*** right? All this hype for nothing. Lol

The issue with that is that a) It makes the show introducing Lyanna and Rheager in S5 pointless, which is generally not something the show does. b) We know that it has to be something fairly easy to guess because D&D managed to guess it in order to get GRRM to run with the show. c) It would just be a twist for the sake of a twist, which is a waste of time in both mediums. 

[spoiler=hmm]
Dayne's sister? It's possible. I'm starting to think Jamie and Cercie are the real Targ kids and Tyrion is Tywins only real so

Ashara Dayne has not been introduced in the show, or given any relevance or importance. She won't be Jon's mother as a result. The show is economical about plot lines at this stage; Rhaeger and Lyanna were specifically reintroduced in S5 for some reason. Ashara Dayne was not, ergo it's probably not her.

[spoiler=Responses]

The issue with that is that a) It makes the show introducing Lyanna and Rheager in S5 pointless, which is generally not something the show does. b) We know that it has to be something fairly easy to guess because D&D managed to guess it in order to get GRRM to run with the show. c) It would just be a twist for the sake of a twist, which is a waste of time in both mediums. 

Ashara Dayne has not been introduced in the show, or given any relevance or importance. She won't be Jon's mother as a result. The show is economical about plot lines at this stage; Rhaeger and Lyanna were specifically reintroduced in S5 for some reason. Ashara Dayne was not, ergo it's probably not her.

[spoiler=well]

As it stands now, we all basically know R+L=J and predictable reveals are bad aren't they? I'm sure Lyanna is important, just not sure It's as Jon's mother

[spoiler=Responses]

While those statements are true, I don't think showing Lyanna and Mentioning Rhaegar would be pointless. I mean... Fans (book readers and show watchers) still want to know what went down in the Tower of Joy. They want to know what happened to Lyanna. Of course they really just want to know if she's Jon's mother, but regardless they all want some kind of closure. To get that closure they would have to set everything up. Like Robert's Rebellion, the Arthur Dayne fight and talking about Rhaegar. It'd be weird if they showed the Tower without any of that stuff. 

The thing is, they wouldn't need to show the Tower of Joy unless it's revealing R+L = J. 

That's the only purpose of showing the scene outside of Ned's drug addled flashback in Book One, because that's the only presumed significance it has to the story as a whole. I don't think the Tower of Joy was even mentioned in the show before it randomly turned up, nor was Arthur Dayne, or Gerold Hightower. And Rheagar outside of S1 with Robert, and Jorah's 'Rheagar fought nobly, Rheager fought valiantly and Rheagar fought honourably. And Rheagar died' speech in S3. It's not like in the books where people continually think about him and draw comparisons to him, so we actually get a history and a feel for him. In the show, he is just someone mentioned a few times, whose long dead. 

Them bringing him up, bringing the Tournament at Harrenhall up, bringing the tower of Joy up, unless it actually matters for the characters in the story right now, it wouldn't have been in the show. Because the show has to, and has been at times, economical with characters and moments. It's why there's only one Tyrell brother say. 

And the only thing that fits with all of those events is R + L = J. 

And Winter a twist being predictable doesn't make it bad so long as it makes sense to the story and to the characters. It's better to have a predictable twist that comes about organically through the story and the characters than a twist that's shocking simply to be a shocking twist. It's why the Red Wedding works so well; When you read back through, you can see how why and when it originated, it doesn't feel like bullshit coming out of nowhere. 

Archived