[MTG] Pax Previews Day 1

Flame Dragon

Crew probably has to be my new favorite mechanic. The fact that you can get your Servos or Thopters to drive a drag racer seems a bit ridiculous though. The energy mechanic was predicted a few weeks ago on Reddit and its a perfect fit for an artifact block. Saheeli seems pretty decent. She would be a good fit in a URx tempo deck as a curve topper.

Rai's a card now?

Anyway, not all that excited for most of the cards, but that Ovalchase Dragster looks ridiculously powerful. I don't play MTG much anyways as of yet. :P

Ovalchase Dragster is terrible, lol. It's literally a worse Ball Lightning most of the time. Saheeli is a 3 mana Planeswalker so she's going to be hyped. Since Legacy is the only format I actively play, pretty sure I can say none of these cards are ever going to see any sort of serious Legacy play, Aetherworks is literally just a loledh toy. Really hate it when they print mythics like that, because let's be honest, it's a complete and utter dud that's only a mythic because muh lore. meh.

Ovalchase Dragster is terrible, lol. It's literally a worse Ball Lightning most of the time. Saheeli is a 3 mana Planeswalker so she's going to be hyped. Since Legacy is the only format I actively play, pretty sure I can say none of these cards are ever going to see any sort of serious Legacy play, Aetherworks is literally just a loledh toy. Really hate it when they print mythics like that, because let's be honest, it's a complete and utter dud that's only a mythic because muh lore. meh.

I think it has potential outside of EDH if energy is easy to make. Triggering cast stuff on Eldrazi is a big deal.

gontilordofluxury.jpg

I think it has potential outside of EDH if energy is easy to make. Triggering cast stuff on Eldrazi is a big deal.

well yeah, but atm it's just an EDH card, which is generally talk for "this card is bad but it's fun and i want to play it". nothing wrong with that mentality, it's just as a pretty competitive Legacy player I only skirt sets for meta changing cards and I'm not seeing any yet. eh. Guessing there will be at least one card that will make the break, Shadows block was fantastic for that. Tireless Tracker and new Thalia are already seeing pretty healthy amounts of play in Lands and D&T.

well yeah, but atm it's just an EDH card, which is generally talk for "this card is bad but it's fun and i want to play it". nothing wrong with that mentality, it's just as a pretty competitive Legacy player I only skirt sets for meta changing cards and I'm not seeing any yet. eh. Guessing there will be at least one card that will make the break, Shadows block was fantastic for that. Tireless Tracker and new Thalia are already seeing pretty healthy amounts of play in Lands and D&T.

I'm talking just standard which is where this might be playable. Legacy has a SUPER small number new viable cards.

skysovereignconsulflagship.jpgdepalapilotexemplar.jpg

architectoftheuntamed.jpgaetherstormroc.jpg

startyourengines.jpgspeedwayfanatic.jpgskyskiff.jpg

glintsleeveartisan.jpgwhirlermaker.jpg

rashmieternitiescrafter.jpg

Saheeli Rai seems decent, but I don't think she'll see play outside Standard. She doesn't have any way to protect herself, and her minus requires already having board presence in order to use. The plus isn't half bad, though, and God help your opponent if you get that ultimate off.

The vehicle mechanic is super elegant in how it implements an idea that's bounced around the fandom for a while now. Although I find it funny that a crewed vehicle can crew another vehicle in turn: literal Voltron, anyone? I also like all the support spells they have, as well as the jabroniin' frame design.

Energy counters are the fabled "mechanic E" that's been in development hell since original Mirrodin block. To me, they seem really avalanche-y, in that multiple counter-dependent permanents make each individual one more powerful. Aetherworks Marvel seems like it could get out of hand really quickly, though, and same thing with the Aetherborn Roc.

Depala is neat and all, but I don't think she'll be that good of a commander. As neither dwarves nor vehicles are heavily-represented tribes, the number of playables we'll get of each is likely to be really low. Although it's nice that we're starting to see Boros legendaries that address some of the shortcomings of the color combo, namely card advantage.

Gonti will do better in the 99 than as a commander. Since the "can play" trait of the card isn't tied to Gonti himself, you can repeatedly flicker him and accrue a bunch of tricks.

Rashmi, though... I think I found the second commander I want to work on. She's rather open-ended, but getting at minimum a cantrip on each of your initial spells shouldn't be underestimated. And in best-case circumstances, you get it for free! How do you not like that?

Cultivator of Blades is an interesting Wild Beastmaster variant, although in a vacuum I think I'd take the counters over the tokens every time. Makes him more durable and grants more power overall.

Finally, that's one fine-ass camel.

Anyone else notice that Gonti is the only Black card that has been shown so far?
Do you think Kaladesh might be deficient in a color, or that, after Black being a major color in Innistrad, they want to focus on a happier set, since this is supposed to be a breather of sorts between Innistrad and Amonkhet?

Anyone else notice that not a single Black card has been shown out of all of these previews?

Do you think Kaladesh might be like the Shards of Alara, and lack a color?

See: Gonti

Though he's the only one so far. Black may end up being underepresented, or it may make up most of the antagonists in the story so they're holding them out for a bit later. Aetherborn does sound like it'll be relevant to the plot.

See: Gonti

Though he's the only one so far. Black may end up being underepresented, or it may make up most of the antagonists in the story so they're holding them out for a bit later. Aetherborn does sound like it'll be relevant to the plot.

I just did, and edited my post accordingly.

Anyone else notice that Gonti is the only Black card that has been shown so far?

Do you think Kaladesh might be deficient in a color, or that, after Black being a major color in Innistrad, they want to focus on a happier set, since this is supposed to be a breather of sorts between Innistrad and Amonkhet?

They don't do color imbalance anywhere but rare and mythic, and even then it will likely only be a card or two. As said, they are likely just shifting focus from the dark world of Innistrad to the bright one of Kaladesh.

Time to give my thoughts on noteworthy cards.

I'm not impressed by Rai. Her plus is air and her -2 needs the right set up. Don't get me wrong, it can be insanely powerful with the right one, but I'm not seeing it.

Marvel can get out of hand VERY quickly. Plus it plays super well with clues and emerge.

On no, Gonti is anti Grenzo tech. Side from that, seems ok.

Flagship seems pretty nuts. Likely going to show up in constructed. Also, place your bets, does Chandra blow it up?

Depala seems cool. Though I find it funny that Mark was like "we don't like making legendary lords" for the werewolf and they have her in the next set.

I feel like I'm not being fair to Architect since I keep comparing it to Rampaging Baloths. Though I suppose thats mostly from my thinking "do I want this in commander". For standard she seems like a nice way to build energy.

The Roc is an insane way to build energy though.

Rashimi might make it into Animar. Certainly has promised there. For standard, more emerge fun.

Cultivator of Blades seems insane in Ezuri EDH. Yes, I'll take 3 counters and another Beastmaster thank you very much.

The dragon seems solid. Don't think its good enough for standard, but I don't think its that far off.

Tradewinds hits lands. That is huge.

Gearhulk is powerful, but bland. Has a similar feel to Ulrich imo and the various other green fatties that make other things bigger (Wolfier Silverheart and Gladehart Cavalry for example). This is leaps and bounds above them, but that comparison is there and it makes this feel less mythic.

Aether Tradewinds is a sweet reprint, one of my favorite cube cards. Stalker feels like a really bad red morphling but without a way to protect itself. Still a pretty powerful card in limited. Gearhulk is strong AF, It will probably see some amount of standard play.

Archived