Link Summon - Decoder Talker (FIRST EVER MONSTER)

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just something that i don't think anyone has said, but decoder talker can tribute opponent's monsters to negate their own cards.

I thought about that too some minutes ago, but then I went to re-read the effect and:

When an opponent’s card effect that targets a card you control is activated: You can Tribute 1 of your monsters Linked to this card; negate that activation, and if you do, destroy it

EDIT: Ninja'd xD

But it would have been a funny way to punish or restraint the opponent, also to compensate the Link Monster linking an opponent's Zone.

So will cards like Stardust and Blazar go to the MMZ or will they be errata'd to have to return to the EMZ?

Stardust will go back to the MMZ, yes, but I don't know about Blazar or Omega. They would probably return to the EMZ. We need a ruling on Blazar/Omega vs zone position being relevant, but they probably have to return to the same zone they were banished from, as per dimensionhole.

Question about Linking; If a Link card has a left/right link, is in the EMZ and there's an opponent monster in their EMZ, is that opponent's monster linked to it? Or are they separated by a "Blank" zone to avoid this?

That seems a bit unlikely to me, I wouldn't really put questions like that up before we get more information anyway, there's a lot of questions to be asked right now, and you just added one to my list :P

Question about Linking; If a Link card has a left/right link, is in the EMZ and there's an opponent monster in their EMZ, is that opponent's monster linked to it? Or are they separated by a "Blank" zone to avoid this?

We don't know yet. Seems unlikely to me, but ofc an official ruling is needed.

In any case, They can summon extra deck monsters in their EMZ regardless, so it would only matter for that Honeypot thing

Stardust will go back to the MMZ, yes, but I don't know about Blazar or Omega. They would probably return to the EMZ. We need a ruling on Blazar/Omega vs zone position being relevant, but they probably have to return to the same zone they were banished from, as per dimensionhole.

Just rule it that the player can decide. A flexibility ruling for synchros won't kill anyone

Damn, I really wish Link Monsters had Levels so could make use of those stuck in the first part of the link chain as material for Synchro/Xyz summons and potentially build amusing ladders. But right now, only Fusion and Tribute Summons can make use of those monsters while releasing the Zones. I wonder if Eidolon engine could come in handy for that purpose.

Just rule it that the player can decide. A flexibility ruling for synchros won't kill anyone

Don't tell me. I'm not Konami.

However if I were ruling it, I would make it so that any monster in the EMZ that stops being face-up on the field would leave the EMZ and move to a MMZ. This would make it impossible to have a face-down card in the EMZ and thus thematically link back to Link Monsters being unable to be face-down.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3r1IDaOmeLM

Drew seems to think Pendulums are restricted too.

If I have a link in my MMZ and an arrow pointing at a S/T zone, can I summon monsters there ;)

if the link markers function as "adding EMZone property on top of the linked Zone" it would make sense but that sound making the entire board a one big link puzzle lol.

Also for Pendulum, so far, they only said Synchro, Xyz, Fusions and Link that cannot be placed considering Pendulum are treated as main monsters even though it can be summoned from ED. Then again we would nedd to wait for more clarifications on that.

if the link markers function as "adding EMZone property on top of the linked Zone" it would make sense but that sound making the entire board a one big link puzzle lol.

Also for Pendulum, so far, they only said Synchro, Xyz, Fusions and Link that cannot be placed considering Pendulum are treated as main monsters even though it can be summoned from ED. Then again we would nedd to wait for more clarifications on that.

It would add an extra level of complexity. You'd have to create complex links to maximize the potential of your deck. I hope they do stuff like the front row can protect the backrow and stuff.

For the first time in a long time, I'm sure excited for this sheet

As for pendulum. D/D/D showed you an alternate way to use P-Scales. And a hand-vomit is pretty good even without a recurring (potential) +5

Are you kidding me? Pendulums made it so you can invest a +0 once, and then keep getting +5s every turn. People need to start being willing to adapt their decks. You can still fusion summon multiple time per turn if you want, and there are lock version of floofs that focus on getting out things like harbinger.

You MIGHT have misunderstood my complaint.

I'm not talking about the changes to the meta that a new Summon mechanic might bring. See, previously, new Summon mechanics did not directly affect the cards and rules that existed before it. When Synchros came out, you weren't REQUIRED to play Synchro monsters to play your E-HERO Decks or whatever (Extra Deck limit notwithstanding, that's a different issue entirely). The previous era's Decks still functioned the same as they always did. But Synchros evolved the game.

When Xyz came out, you could still play a Synchro Deck with no problem. The basic rules of the game did not CHANGE and affect the cards before it, the mechanics just got expanded upon. You could easily ignore the existence of Synchros and Xyz and your older Deck could still be played normally.

And when Pendulums came out, Synchro and Xyz Decks could still function, and could actually use Pendulums themselves, but doing so was not necessarily OPTIMAL until they made archetypes and such that were deliberately designed to use both. Point is, previous era Decks and card types did not NEED to use the new mechanic to function the same way they did before the new Summoning method.

But with Link Summon, based on the information (which may not be entirely complete or in-depth), you can't ignore the existence of the new card type and mechanic and continue running your previous Deck the way it's always run. (Do not mistake 'ignore' with 'refuse to play against' or 'whine that new mechanic is broken'), because the existence of the mechanic has prompted a DRASTIC restructuring of the game mechanics in terms of how the previous era cards function.

Even if you can Fusion Summon multiple times a turn, you only have 1 zone available for Fusion Monsters without getting rid of the previous one, or using Link Monsters to expand the limit. My issue with it is that you're pretty much required to use Link Monsters arbitrarily merely to emulate your old Deck. This isn't just new rules associated with the new mechanic. This is the rules changing entirely because of the new mechanic.

I'm all for adapting my Decks, usually banlist or card pool related, but I don't see how to "adapt" a Deck to the game suddenly doing a 180 and telling me I can't Summon Extra Deck monsters to the Main Monster Zone anymore unless I'm using the new mechanic, when none of the previous new mechanics required me to do this.

That said, I don't mind the Pendulum Zones now counting as part of your S/T zone, although I did sort of like how they were placed before, on either side of the board.

You MIGHT have misunderstood my complaint.

I'm not talking about the changes to the meta that a new Summon mechanic might bring. See, previously, new Summon mechanics did not directly affect the cards and rules that existed before it. When Synchros came out, you weren't REQUIRED to play Synchro monsters to play your E-HERO Decks or whatever (Extra Deck limit notwithstanding, that's a different issue entirely). The previous era's Decks still functioned the same as they always did. But Synchros evolved the game.

When Xyz came out, you could still play a Synchro Deck with no problem. The basic rules of the game did not CHANGE and affect the cards before it, the mechanics just got expanded upon. You could easily ignore the existence of Synchros and Xyz and your older Deck could still be played normally.

And when Pendulums came out, Synchro and Xyz Decks could still function, and could actually use Pendulums themselves, but doing so was not necessarily OPTIMAL until they made archetypes and such that were deliberately designed to use both. Point is, previous era Decks and card types did not NEED to use the new mechanic to function the same way they did before the new Summoning method.

But with Link Summon, based on the information (which may not be entirely complete or in-depth), you can't ignore the existence of the new card type and mechanic and continue running your previous Deck the way it's always run. (Do not mistake 'ignore' with 'refuse to play against' or 'whine that new mechanic is broken'), because the existence of the mechanic has prompted a DRASTIC restructuring of the game mechanics in terms of how the previous era cards function.

Even if you can Fusion Summon multiple times a turn, you only have 1 zone available for Fusion Monsters without getting rid of the previous one, or using Link Monsters to expand the limit. My issue with it is that you're pretty much required to use Link Monsters arbitrarily merely to emulate your old Deck. This isn't just new rules associated with the new mechanic. This is the rules changing entirely because of the new mechanic.

I'm all for adapting my Decks, usually banlist or card pool related, but I don't see how to "adapt" a Deck to the game suddenly doing a 180 and telling me I can't Summon Extra Deck monsters to the Main Monster Zone anymore unless I'm using the new mechanic, when none of the previous new mechanics required me to do this.

That said, I don't mind the Pendulum Zones now counting as part of your S/T zone, although I did sort of like how they were placed before, on either side of the board.

This, exactly. The problem isn't that I don't like it, the problem is that it's pushing the new mechanic in the wrong way. As was said, you never had to play Xyz monsters when they came out. People did, because they were new and the new cards made it viable and powerful, on par with if not arguably better than Synchros, upon release. Pendulums, same thing. No one was required to play Pendulums, but they did anyway because new and shiny and powerful compared to the immediately preceding format. This will force players to use Link monsters, and I think that's wrong, and ignorant considering they would have anyway.

I like how they have just started promotions for Code of the Duelist with the intro of Link Summons and how you can't easily spam Extra Deck monsters on the first turn, and out of the few cards they started to preview are the remaining executive D/Ds, the ones that require some higher level laddering and spam to summon. Class act Konami, for pretty much middle-fingering them and basically a majority of the Yugioh community. It's pretty much the equivalent of the Permian mass extinction of Yugioh, practically killing off a vast majority of decks, including most anticipated decks like D/D, Zefra, Fluffal, and the unfortunate Zoodiacs.

Though I'm sure most of you already know that eventually this mechanic will be power-creeped and more unexpected support for older or nerfed archetypes might be revealed, so there's no true doubt that this will ruin everything.Deks like Monarchs, Kozmo, Mermail, Darklord, and, Infernoids will probably have more metagame leverage if there isn't anything much to build from in the new set, while killed-off older decks might adapt new playstyles that will make them appear more different than before. We only just need to wait for what the future of this method may be, but people are pretty anxious andprobably want to be able to spam their Lunalights and Synchrons without this expensive and tedious mechanic. 

So yeah, you could say that Yugioh pulled off a Vanguard move and did a ploy to get people to buy new support to desperately aid their casual and competitive decks, but at the benefit of speed bumping the game is a bit questionable. I probably couldn't think of other ways to slow down the format myself without coming up with something fresh and filled with ingenuity. Maybe the future of YGO is at the same time hopeful and bleak, but there's no doubt it's a whole new game people have to accept or decline.

Things:

• D/D isn't dead. Between their existing cards and the neo new Temujin + Alexander, the deck is completely functional. It is simply waiting for an accesible Link 2.
  • Zoodiac is probably the best deck by a mile, still. Missus Radiance gives it the ability to continue on, albeit slightly less potently, and Lyca is absolutely retarded now.
  • Mechanic seems like a solid addition, but the hamfisted and forced intro is the issue. If they made a Classic format and for this to be Standard, it'd be better.
  • Mechanic increases the value of a lot of old cards that fell off and/or never quite made it, which is nice, tbh.
  • Rescue Ferret is funny.

Archived