Link Summon - Decoder Talker (FIRST EVER MONSTER)

To everyone crying that Quasar is dead: No. He's not. Dropping him thrice in turn 1 is.

The Extra Deck is now locked behind a door, and Link monsters are the key to open it. This slows the game down to the level it was at around DM.

Turn 1: Link Summon Decode Talker

Turn 2: Link Summon another monster to spread 1 more ED Summon Zone

Turn 3: Sync Librarian to that new Zone; tribute or otherwise kill the second Link

Turn 4: Sync a Level 5, advance a little with Librarian Draw

Turn 5: Formula Synchron into Quasar in one of Decode Talker's Linked Zones.

And the entire time Decode let's your opponent have 1 more ED slot to help defend themself

Oh sheet i didn't think of that last part you said! xD

To be fair, then you can screw your opponent using that monster of their linked to Decode for the effect since it indiscriminately state link monsters without caring whose monster belong to.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I...don't like this.

As for a new mechanic, it sounds interesting enough, but I don't like how you're now arbitrarily locked from using the Extra Deck. You know...the part of the game that they've been designing everything around for the past 10 years.

I assume it's a measure to try to slow the game down again, and I'm all for that, but they've built out a number of archetypes and Decks that want to be able to spam 2 or more Extra Deck monsters, and they're arbitrarily changing the VERY RULES of the game to restrict that, unless you use Link. Link Summon seems more strategic, but I don't like how it looks like it's making almost everything that came before it obsolete UNLESS you or your opponent are using the mechanic.

Synchro, Xyz, and even Pendulum did not make such a drastic shift. Pendulum had added 2 zones for the Pendulum Scales, but that was the only major shift. Synchro and Xyz only worried about your own Field and monster Levels.

Like...this change might legitimately get me to stop playing entirely. I already rarely played in any competitive sense, but I have a number of Decks I still enjoy using and playing around with, but those Decks lose WAY too much if you're only allowed 1 Extra Monster Zone (Okay, Raidraptors won't care THAT much), but Fluffal cares a LOT. So I expect that I'll either have to play those Decks in a vacuum, where I consider all the rules since Arc-V don't apply, or I'll have to stop playing entirely.

S/T rule barely affects pendulums.

Metalfoes are p high investment with S/T but you mostly end turn with a fullmetalfoes and counter/combination set and can free up a 4th slot anyway

Ariadne Pepe to go as far back didnt set more than 3 on average anyway.

I just want to mention, EVERY Deck is going to be affected by the limit, which means that you will still be beaten just as badly if you are facing a strong ED focused Deck VS a weak ED focused Deck, sure Decks that don't need it are getting a boost, but for the most part, ED Decks have been the ones that dominated, and Tribute Summon and Ritual Decks were the ones that needed more help, of course recently that has been slowed down a bit with Pendulums and what not, though it is something to consider.

As I already stated, they can still get out tripple sabre tooth + 1 tiger without using link summon.

How's that possible again? I don't think you said, sorry if you did.

S/T rule barely affects pendulums.

Metalfoes are p high investment with S/T but you mostly end turn with a fullmetalfoes and counter/combination set and can free up a 4th slot anyway

Ariadne Pepe to go as far back didnt set more than 3 on average anyway.

Right, some Pendulum decks won't be too affected by it, but others may be, at least in theory. For example, wouldn't Pendulum Magicians have it a bit more difficult with the Pendulumgraphs taking S&T Zone space? IDK

inb4 True Draco engine to the rescue.

I don't understand why Konami felt the need to make a new monster type to do this. Like... I would be pretty OK with them changing the rules somehow to restrict Extra Deck summons, but forcing you to use Link Monsters to do it seems weird as f***. I'm fine with the idea, but not the execution.

I don't understand why Konami felt the need to make a new monster type to do this. Like... I would be pretty OK with them changing the rules somehow to restrict Extra Deck summons, but forcing you to use Link Monsters to do it seems weird as f***. I'm fine with the idea, but not the execution.

Regardless, now that this is what we have, it's either gonna be really cool or really stupid. This is going to depend a LOT on how well they handle the monsters themselves. And given that it's Konami, I don't have the highest hopes. Just gotta hope, I guess.

Also, new type, no level, and no DEF seem kinda random and IDK why they had to make the mechanic even more janky.

You would use up the Xyz currently occupying the Extra Monster Zone as material, releasing the Zone for the Link Monster you Summon to be placed there. That's how it works... right?

As for Pendulums, I don't see what would stop them from being used, and much like when Synchro Summoning with them, they would be sent to the Extra Deck face-up after being used for a Link Summon.

It said you have to send mat to grave

Which begs the question, can you not link summon under macro?

I...don't like this.

As for a new mechanic, it sounds interesting enough, but I don't like how you're now arbitrarily locked from using the Extra Deck. You know...the part of the game that they've been designing everything around for the past 10 years.

I assume it's a measure to try to slow the game down again, and I'm all for that, but they've built out a number of archetypes and Decks that want to be able to spam 2 or more Extra Deck monsters, and they're arbitrarily changing the VERY RULES of the game to restrict that, unless you use Link. Link Summon seems more strategic, but I don't like how it looks like it's making almost everything that came before it obsolete UNLESS you or your opponent are using the mechanic.

Synchro, Xyz, and even Pendulum did not make such a drastic shift. Pendulum had added 2 zones for the Pendulum Scales, but that was the only major shift. Synchro and Xyz only worried about your own Field and monster Levels.

Like...this change might legitimately get me to stop playing entirely. I already rarely played in any competitive sense, but I have a number of Decks I still enjoy using and playing around with, but those Decks lose WAY too much if you're only allowed 1 Extra Monster Zone (Okay, Raidraptors won't care THAT much), but Fluffal cares a LOT. So I expect that I'll either have to play those Decks in a vacuum, where I consider all the rules since Arc-V don't apply, or I'll have to stop playing entirely.

Are you kidding me? Pendulums made it so you can invest a +0 once, and then keep getting +5s every turn. People need to start being willing to adapt their decks. You can still fusion summon multiple time per turn if you want, and there are lock version of floofs that focus on getting out things like harbinger.

Adapt

And related, can you use Pendulum monsters as materials for a Link summon? IDK if this was discussed already, but if you can't that REALLY nerfs pendulum decks hard

I don't believe so because it said you need to be send the material to the grave to link summon

Good. Now make it so that Peduluming from the extra is a "extra deck summon" so we can burn down the infernal mechanic

I'm assuming they're gonna make the first set chock-full of very generic and easy to get out Link Monsters so that decks that need them (Fluffals, Crystrons, pretty much any xyz deck, Any Accel Synchro deck, and overall funking everything they've made in the past 10 years) can actually use them. Including some that go off of like, Types, beign normal or not, etc. And with a variety of link arrows, and such.

Like, the idea of Linking is kinda cool, but in execution, the fact that it limits every other Extra Deck Summon (Besides Pendulum, which have their own limits now, which I am totally okay with honestly) is super dumb. More reason to play sheet like Yosenju and BES because who cares about the Extra Deck, though!

Right, some Pendulum decks won't be too affected by it, but others may be, at least in theory. For example, wouldn't Pendulum Magicians have it a bit more difficult with the Pendulumgraphs taking S&T Zone space? IDK

inb4 True Draco engine to the rescue.

Yeah 1 Ages, 1 Pendulumgraph usually but u can prob ignore searching Ages if you open additional backrow or stuff like Zoodiac Sign (Zoodiac Sign can just pop itself).

You right it matters post side with stuff like floodgates and Vanity/Dbarrier but not 2 much of a bother imo, you'd just play out the hand to accommodate it and prioritize what's important

Let's get one thing clear: using monsters a Link Materials is not going to be the same as 'sending to the graveyard' as a cost to Summon Ultimaya.

Just like to Synchro Summon, you send a Tuner and a non-Tuner you control to the graveyard. You can use Pendulums, you can do it under Macro.

From the revealed cards so far...

It looks like the link number corresponds with the number of links it makes, meaning... No link 9+ monsters, I assume?

It's also pretty cool how they established this. Ditch that many monsters to open up possibilities.

And related, can you use Pendulum monsters as materials for a Link summon? IDK if this was discussed already, but if you can't that REALLY nerfs pendulum decks hard.

Counter-question: how is a Synchro summon described? If described in the same way, it would make sense that pendulums could be used (I personally think they'll be able to).

On another note: anyone think that the OG and wind Mirror Forces will shoot up in usage (over Quaking, at least)?

On another another note: making a monster zone that's un-kaiju-able is... Intriguing. Powerful Extra Deck negaters like CyDra Infinity and WW Crystal Wing seem to have a new best friend.

L

huh, looks like a bottom-left Link Marker

On another another note: making a monster zone that's un-kaiju-able is... Intriguing. Powerful Extra Deck negaters like CyDra Infinity and WW Crystal Wing seem to have a new best friend.

You don't have to Summon the Kaiju to the same Monster Zone as the monster you tributed. You can still Kaiju monsters in the EMZone, they just have to have a MMZone to place the Kaiju in.

huh, looks like a bottom-left Link Marker

You don't have to Summon the Kaiju to the same Monster Zone as the monster you tributed. You can still Kaiju monsters in the EMZone, they just have to have a MMZone to place the Kaiju in.

It means I was wrong, and make a jackass of myself in the process 

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Take%20the%20L

It seems to me that Link Summoning really helps control card w/ regards to ED monsters. Winda/Cathuglu/Merka/Crystal

If the link monster is destroyed or removed from the field, and you have a ED monster in a non-ED zone, what happens to it?

but you cant make boards without a link monster

Also cyber type seems cool.

Boards? I honestly have no clue what you're talking about here.

I was under the impression it summoned like N'tss. Was that not the case? If so

*takes* L

I don't see why you would assume that honestly, they come with Materials just like Synchros would.

Archived