Link Summon - Decoder Talker (FIRST EVER MONSTER)

GOTTA OVERHAUL THE RULES EVERY 3 YEARS TO CONFUSE THE PLAYERBASE, RIGHT BABE?

No idea why people are talking about how this slows the game when we'll obviously get broke-as-hell Links in the coming months after the show starts.

but as we know all of them right now, other than link spider, (https://ygorganization.com/itsover1000/) the slow down the game to a point where zoodiacs cant really do anything.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I feel this is fantastic for the competitive scene, but pretty bad for casual. Slowing the game down, nerfing Pendulums significantly, reducing the number of zones (is it just me or did anyone find the number of zones was really annoying with Pendulums) and improving the strategic side of the game as well as player interaction are all good things. People who play newer cards because they're better (ie competitive players) should generally welcome this change. If any are saying they don't understand or it's too complicated, they were saying the same about Pendulums when they came out but got used to them. Same with people saying the game is dead now (there were lots of those people when Pends first came out, and I'm pretty sure the game is as big as its ever been). 

The issue is that people who play old cards for fun just because they like them will be affected horribly, but Konami doesn't need to cater to them because they don't spend money on the game. I do feel for players like that because I love playing older formats and stuff, but ultimately the competitive scene is where Konami makes their money and where their priorities lie.

I think one thing this could do that nobody has mentioned yet is that it could mean Xyzs, Synchros and Fusions will be used as standalone boss monsters again in decks that don't want to use Links, rather than combo pieces, which I prefer. Remember when summoning Stardust Dragon on its own was really powerful?

Overall I really like this change and I might actually start playing again once these come out.

I feel this is fantastic for the competitive scene, but pretty bad for casual. Slowing the game down, nerfing Pendulums significantly, reducing the number of zones (is it just me or did anyone find the number of zones was really annoying with Pendulums) and improving the strategic side of the game as well as player interaction are all good things. People who play newer cards because they're better (ie competitive players) should generally welcome this change. If any are saying they don't understand or it's too complicated, they were saying the same about Pendulums when they came out but got used to them. Same with people saying the game is dead now (there were lots of those people when Pends first came out, and I'm pretty sure the game is as big as its ever been). 

The issue is that people who play old cards for fun just because they like them will be affected horribly, but Konami doesn't need to cater to them because they don't spend money on the game. I do feel for players like that because I love playing older formats and stuff, but ultimately the competitive scene is where Konami makes their money and where their priorities lie.

I think one thing this could do that nobody has mentioned yet is that it could mean Xyzs, Synchros and Fusions will be used as standalone boss monsters again in decks that don't want to use Links, rather than combo pieces, which I prefer. Remember when summoning Stardust Dragon on its own was really powerful?

Overall I really like this change and I might actually start playing again once these come out.

Yes

Remember when having one monster on the field and passing didn't mean you just forfeited? 

Because Igknights were mentioned, wouldn't they have better chances at becoming relevant now that the Extra Deck-based decks will be slowed down while they can still resort to their Rhongo summoning tactic?

Also, these new rules make Bahamut Shark much less practical. Can we expect Toadally to be taken out of the OCG banlist once these rules are implemented? It makes me wonder why OCG bothered with putting it into the banlist if they were planning to drop these changes relatively soon.

Boards? I honestly have no clue what you're talking about here.

I don't see why you would assume that honestly, they come with Materials just like Synchros would.

"When the Duel begins, neither Extra Monster Zone is considered to belong to a specific player. When a player Special Summons a monster to one of them, that Zone then becomes treated as part of that player’s field, and the other then becomes treated as the other player’s field. The tactics of a Duel will change drastically depending on who can grab an Extra Monster Zone first! An Extra Deck Monster can only be Summoned to the Extra Monster Zone! But if you Summon a Link Monster to one of the Extra Monster Zone first, you can utilize it to its max potential!

*Extra Deck Monsters, like Fusion, Synchro, Xyz, and Link, cannot be Summnoned to the Main Monster Zone, beware!

– What has been the [Monster Zone] up till now is now the [Main Monster Zone]"

unless you have a link monster, you can only have 1 synchro monster out at a time, and quasar takes 3.

Because Igknights were mentioned, wouldn't they have better chances at becoming relevant now that the Extra Deck-based decks will be slowed down while they can still resort to their Rhongo summoning tactic?

Also, these new rules make Bahamut Shark much less practical. Can we expect Toadally to be taken out of the OCG banlist once these rules are implemented? It makes me wonder why OCG bothered with putting it into the banlist if they were planning to drop these changes relatively soon.

I mean can we get Laval Chain off the list too? You can't make Beast the same turn anymore. You can't do star-seraph shits anymore easily. Djinn is bad. 

I assume because Dark Law + Toad is bullshit enough to merit attention right away. If Toad is at 1, you're forced to use the water-float effect on itself. At multiples you have more flexibility. But I can see it happening eventually...or maybe not, Konami is gonna funk up eventually and make over-powered links

"When the Duel begins, neither Extra Monster Zone is considered to belong to a specific player. When a player Special Summons a monster to one of them, that Zone then becomes treated as part of that player’s field, and the other then becomes treated as the other player’s field. The tactics of a Duel will change drastically depending on who can grab an Extra Monster Zone first! An Extra Deck Monster can only be Summoned to the Extra Monster Zone! But if you Summon a Link Monster to one of the Extra Monster Zone first, you can utilize it to its max potential!

*Extra Deck Monsters, like Fusion, Synchro, Xyz, and Link, cannot be Summnoned to the Main Monster Zone, beware!

– What has been the [Monster Zone] up till now is now the [Main Monster Zone]"

unless you have a link monster, you can only have 1 synchro monster out at a time!

What does that have to do with Macro Cosmos?

I think zoodiacs are fine, but if I'm doing this in my head correctly you miss out on a drancia if you intend to link summon 

EDIT: you can still end on Decode Talker + Drancia if you have a normal summonable zodiac available

Yeah, you can end with a Link Monster + Drancia after a single Ratpier:

1. Summon Ratpier.

2. Ladder into 2 Zoodiac Xyzs, each Summoning their Ratpier.

3. Use 1 Ratpier + Zoodiac Xyz for, let's say, Missus Radiant.

4. Continue the Zoodiac Xyz ladder with the remaining Ratpier, ending with Drancia.

EDIT: Oh, right, Lyca's summoned monster can also be used for a Link Summon so you can keep 1 of those Ratpiers for... something else.

C43X_9FUoAAZrWB.jpg

1. Summon Ratpier.

4. Continue the Zoodiac Xyz ladder with the remaining Ratpier, ending with Drancia.

Right, so it's still nerfed in that you cannot end on Gusto/Rafflesia in addition to that Drancia

1. Summon Ratpier.

EDIT: Oh, right, Lyca's summoned monster can also be used for a Link Summon you can save 1 of those Ratpiers for a Rank4 for the other Zone linked by Missus.

it wouldn't work like that, ratpier is OPT per xyz.

it would go like this:

1. summon ratpier

2. summon xyz in extra monster zone

3. summon another 1 over that

4. use its effect to summon 1 ratpier

since you can only have 1 extra monster zone, you couldnt summon the next xyz, therefore the next ratpier.

How's that possible again? I don't think you said, sorry if you did.

Apparently revived ED monsters go into the regular zones ... though right now I am wondering if that does not require links to be set up ... well I guess i could have been wrong, however in case I was not I meant summoning tiger, fusing into tooth in that spot, reviving tiger into a regular zone and looping that with tooth, considering it neither has an opt clause, nor a restriction of not summoning another copy.

it wouldn't work like that. ratpier is OPT per xyz.

it would go like this:

1. summon ratpier

2. summon xyz in extra monster zone

3. summon another 1 over that

4. use its effect to  summon 1 ratpier

since you can only have 1 extra monster zone, you couldnt summon the next xyz, therefore the next ratpier.

You know... you can repeat step 3, overlaying yet another Zoodiac Xyz over the one in the Extra Monster Zone, which will be able to bring the other Ratpier.

So will cards like Stardust and Blazar go to the MMZ or will they be errata'd to have to return to the EMZ?

I was thinking the same thing. With the current rules, it appears they would go to the MMZ. Stardust will become awesome if this is the case. It thrives in slower formats anyway, but on top of that, it's an ED monster that can be in the MMZ without Links. Tributing it frees up the EMZ for more ED summons if you don't want to use Link Monsters.

Naw u guys are missing Lyca, u can Emeral and end on Decode talker just fine, using Missus Radiant and Emeral as material for Decode Talker, leaving Drancia face-up

So, how the combo would go?

1. Summon Ratpier

2. Overlay, let's say, Boar

3. Overlay... Hammerkong

3. Detach for Ratpier

4. Summon Lyca

5. Detach for Ratpier and for reviving a Zoodiac

6. Revived Zoodiac + Lyca = Missus

Now you have Missus and 2 Ratpier on the field. You could continue the Zoodiac ladder with 1 Ratpier and Summon Broadbull and Drancia, but how would you produce the Rank4/Emeral? Is that where you need the Normal Summon of another Level4? Then, it will work when using Barrage, but not when Normal Summoning Ratpier.

So, how the combo would go?

1. Summon Ratpier

2. Overlay, let's say, Boar

3. Overlay... Hammerkong

3. Detach for Ratpier

4. Summon Lyca

5. Detach for Ratpier and for reviving a Zoodiac

6. Revived Zoodiac + Lyca = Missus

Now you have Missus and 2 Ratpier on the field. You could continue the Zoodiac ladder with 1 Ratpier and Summon Broadbull and Drancia, but how would you produce the Rank4/Emeral? Is that where you need the Normal Summon of another Level4? Then, it will work when using Barrage, but not when Normal Summoning Ratpier.

Yeah u got it, forgot to mention my edit in my initial post where you would need Barrage and another normal summonable Zoodiac

technically you can just not go for Decode Talker since Missus Radiant has a gucci floating effect so you're likely to see that more often. Banlist in April coming tho so who knows.

Yeah u got it, forgot to mention my edit in my initial post where you would need Barrage and another normal summonable Zoodiac

technically you can just not go for Decode Talker since Missus Radiant has a gucci floating effect so you're likely to see that more often. Banlist in April coming tho so who knows.

Yeah, I would rather keep Missus and the Rank4, too. Besides, the top Link Marker from Decoder could backfire, plus Tributing to negate a targeting effect doesn't look too impressive.

If this does indeed work like Synchro Summoning, then what about Scapegoat?

time for Neo-New Goat Format?

Yeah, you should be able to use Tokens as materials for Link Monsters, as long as they fulfill their conditions of course (Attribute, Normal Monsters, etc.)

Archived