Super Smash Bros Ultimate

Tourmaline

• Replies 580
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, given that Ganondorf gets a new broadsword in his kit (yet seems to retain the all-important Warlock Punch and Wizard Foot), I'm legitimately excited for what other possible changes can be a part of things.

Roy apparently brings Lyn in during certain attacks, Peach brings in Toad more often (and Daisy carries in fan-favorite Blue Toad), and transformation Final Smashes being cut out means that Lucario is getting a new one . . . again.

Weirdly, the entire Fire Emblem crew is apparently slightly faster, as are Sonic and Captain Falcon. Don't know if this is just them, or if Ultimate is WHAT IF SMASH BROS BUT F A S T, but regardless it's an interesting change.

If you look at the videos I linked before you can pick up on a bunch of tiny changes already.

I thought that too, but no, it is more likely that the Roy player taunted when the other person's attack missed and Lyn just attacked because she had been pulled from an AT.

I expect Lucario to keep his Mega, just how it functions will change.

hm, the official website says there's 66 characters but they've only shown 65, which makes me believe there's at least one new character left. I hope its Spring Man.

Nah, it's 66.

65 doesn't include Echo Fighters, but it does include Squirtle, Ivysaur, and Charizard as seperate bodies.

65 -2 Pokemon, +3 Echo Fighters = 66

aah, ok

well, I guess that means nothing then

still want spring man

do it nintendo

do it

Sakurai said to not expect a lot of new characters, but I'm still expecting a pretty decent group. The past numbers were +14, +18, +15(+4 DLC). Given that I feel 6 new characters (not counting echo) as the low guess with 10 as the high.

One of the things that’s weird to me that no one is talking about is Ridley’s side b command grab and his tippered down smash. The former does upwards of 30% by itself while the latter does 59% and freezes the opponent.

Sakurai does some explaining about Ridley but you’ll notice that his moves don’t seem to be balanced in terms of damage output.

Also it seems like nobody here watched the invitational or something

I really like what they did with Zelda and Sheik, too. TP Zelda is pretty and regal and all that, but she's admittedly a bit stiff. LBW Zelda is much cuter and more expressive. And with Sheik, her appearance being based off the stealth armor from BotW is cool.

Efxhikx.jpg?10tOE3G4.png?1

I really like what they did with Zelda and Sheik, too. TP Zelda is pretty and regal and all that, but she's admittedly a bit stiff. LBW Zelda is much cuter and more expressive.

Ah yeah, definitely not to mention LBW Zelda will be able to show more personality. And I like that the decision to have Zelda/Sheik's outfits from 2 different games was a good idea.

One of the things that’s weird to me that no one is talking about is Ridley’s side b command grab and his tippered down smash. The former does upwards of 30% by itself while the latter does 59% and freezes the opponent.

Sakurai does some explaining about Ridley but you’ll notice that his moves don’t seem to be balanced in terms of damage output.

Also it seems like nobody here watched the invitational or something

I didn't catch the damage output for the side B, but the down B seems really hard to use. Either way, the game is still in development so those numbers can easily change.

I watched a bit. The Sheik vs. Snake match was legit.

so they showed stuff on Pokemon Trainer and Ice Climbers.

more importantly they said there is no wobbling

And the melee players riot.

Of course not. Nintendo doesn't want to say as much, but the Switch is pretty much phasing out the 3DS, there's no need to develop separately for a handheld and console when you've got something that can do both. I imagine the games that were already in development for the 3DS when the Switch got started will be some of the last 3DS games. Note that there was nothing for the 3DS in their E3 direct.

why are people not talking about Ridley basically being a SSBB MK  bulky clone

What do you mean?

To add what Shradow said, you have to remember that hardware limitations on the 3DS was one of the reasons that the Ice Climbers weren't in Smash 4.

To add to that, it is also why Zelda and Sheik were split and why only Charizard stayed from the PT 3.

What do you mean?

To add to that, it is also why Zelda and Sheik were split and why only Charizard stayed from the PT 3.

In the gameplay they showed he executed multiple upsmashes, and has that tail strike that stuns. Couple that with a retarded recovery, and he can keep upsmashing you of the screen like MK's old up smash could

In the gameplay they showed he executed multiple upsmashes, and has that tail strike that stuns. Couple that with a retarded recovery, and he can keep upsmashing you of the screen like MK's old up smash could

I'd need to watch more Ridley gameplay, but I don't think two are that close. Either way, game still has another few months of work to be done on it so things will change.

That is true, though at least the Zelda/Sheik split was justified regarding their fighting styles.

I'd say that has me curious why they didn't do that with PT here, but the whole point of PT is that you can switch and breaking them up removes Pokemon Trainer.

Pardon?

Ridley has potential but he's by no means MK. Bayo, Cloud, and Sheik would eat him alive as combo food. Imagine trying to land against Cloud upairs when you're so huge.

Do you know why Meta Knight was good in Brawl? It was because all of his moves, especially Mach Tornado and Shuttle Loop made him extremely difficult to punish, while the rest of the cast had pretty bad frame data and options. 

Ridley's recovery is very exploitable considering magnet hands is nerfed and there's a lot of startup. That, and considering he's the biggest character, his neutral game will look a lot different from Meta Knight's. Honestly though he does so much damage that he could be top tier

I would say the best characters will probably be the Smash 4 top tiers plus Inkling and Snake. Ptrainer has some potential with his buffs, as does Zelda, but they won't be too amazing.

Also, Bayonetta was actually nerfed in Smash U at the time of Plup vs. Leo. Here's the changelog from what people have discovered.

Sheik is gonna be number 1 cause she got nothing but buffs lmfao

Also, if they made the 3 separate fighters (removing PT), then the "everyone is here" thing wouldn't apply.

It is weird how keeping the three characters you played as, but removing the "name", wouldn't make that the case.

Pardon?

Ridley has potential but he's by no means MK. Bayo, Cloud, and Sheik would eat him alive as combo food. Imagine trying to land against Cloud upairs when you're so huge.

Do you know why Meta Knight was good in Brawl? It was because all of his moves, especially Mach Tornado and Shuttle Loop made him extremely difficult to punish, while the rest of the cast had pretty bad frame data and options. 

Ridley's recovery is very exploitable considering magnet hands is nerfed and there's a lot of startup. That, and considering he's the biggest character, his neutral game will look a lot different from Meta Knight's. Honestly though he does so much damage that he could be top tier

I would say the best characters will probably be the Smash 4 top tiers plus Inkling and Snake. Ptrainer has some potential with his buffs, as does Zelda, but they won't be too amazing.

Also, Bayonetta was actually nerfed in Smash U at the time of Plup vs. Leo. Here's the changelog from what people have discovered.

Sheik is gonna be number 1 cause she got nothing but buffs lmfao

I feel like this is a really strong claim to make right now. While this will likely have a lot in common with Smash 4 they've already made tons of small changes that can easily end up adding up to a very different break down on character tier positions. Plus they are live to put out balance patches after the game comes out to knock the best characters down a peg or two.

Archived