Card/Archetype Ideas Thread

Tinkerer

Just now, Tinkerer said:

It's the clock stuff, right? I've had your thread open in another tab on my phone all day because I wanted to comment on it, but didn't have the time to sit and think.

Mind if I shoot ya a pm? I dunno if I'd be able to gather my thoughts together for a formal post; I think it'd be easier for me to run down some points over pm.

pm? Sorry, but I don't know what that is?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Blockchain (Thematic archetype idea)

Cyberse Xyz/Rank-up archetype.

Rank 2 and higher all have floating effects that re-summon the lower ranked one from GY. If the Rank 1 gets destroyed, the owner takes 3-4k damage (representing the Blockchain finally being hacked).

Trying to think of another gimmick to possibly work into this idea.

• Like 3

Monsters that Attack and defend from the hand (can still be destroyed by battle when your opponent Attacks you can reveal to block with DEF) high level ones have a cost. They also can still be played normally and have good when destroyed by battle and when inflict damage effects.

Gorilla

Sample names (IMP 0 V, el reb, am bush, rad, rev, irre, dev hide) Hope you like the puns :P 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Stuck between choosing between the following:

Field Spell
You can shuffle the face-down cards in your Extra Deck, then look at the top 3 face-down cards in your Extra Deck, then, you can reveal up to 2 Xyz monsters with different Ranks from among those cards, and if you do, send the same number of "..." monsters from your Deck to the GY whose Levels equal the revealed monsters' Ranks. You can only activate this effect of "..." once per turn.

Field Spell 
You can shuffle the face-down cards in your Extra Deck, then look at the top 3 face-down cards in your Extra Deck, then, you can reveal up to 2 Fusion monsters with different names from among those cards, and if you do, you can send monsters from your Deck to the GY whose names are listed as Fusion Materials on the revealed monsters. You can only activate this effect of "..." once per turn.

I have decently cool ideas for both directions, but I'd rather stick to one for now. Any archetype name suggestions would also be appreciated.

Edited by Lazarus IV
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Lazarus IV said:

Field Spell
You can shuffle the face-down cards in your Extra Deck, then look at the top 3 face-down cards in your Extra Deck, then, you can reveal up to 2 Xyz monsters with different Ranks from among those cards, and if you do, send the same number of "..." monsters from your Deck to the GY whose Levels equal the revealed monsters' Ranks. You can only activate this effect of "..." once per turn.

Field Spell 
You can shuffle the face-down cards in your Extra Deck, then look at the top 3 face-down cards in your Extra Deck, then, you can reveal up to 2 Fusion monsters with different names from among those cards, and if you do, you can send monsters from your Deck to the GY whose names are listed as Fusion Materials on the revealed monsters. You can only activate this effect of "..." once per turn.

I have decently cool ideas for both directions, but I'd rather stick to one for now. Any archetype name suggestions would also be appreciated.

If the xyz ones has good special from gy to summon the Xyz going on then go for it

Otherwise Fusion has better GY synergy in the pool and tbh kinda scary that it semi generic in a way

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Lazarus IV said:

Field Spell

Field Spell 

I think that Fusions both deserve it and can use it better. It particularly reminds me of cards like magicialized fusion, Dragon's mirror, Fossil Fusion, Frightfur Fusion, and most importantly (in my humble oppinion) invocation.

13 hours ago, Dokutah Gory, Woundslinger said:

If the xyz ones has good special from gy to summon the Xyz going on then go for it

Otherwise Fusion has better GY synergy in the pool and tbh kinda scary that it semi generic in a way

This is definitely something to note.

Being generic would be cool and it would probably lock you into that type of extra deck summon for the rest of the turn?

For the name

XYZ-Broken Network

Fusion- Compatibility GY

idk these suck sry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you both!

You both noted the Fusion one being better. I did make it a little more generically usable than the Xyz one because it limits itself by monster names. Thinking about it, I dunno how many specific monster Fusion materials want to be in the GY besides maybe Albaz? The Infernoids, maybe?? Either way, the archetype that I was gonna build around it would have been like the original E-HEROs: 4 monsters + 6 mixed-and-matched Fusions (maybe 1 or more Fusion Spells as well).

The Xyz one is less generic, but the archetype was going to have a lot of Special Summoning and Level/type/Attribute manipulation to let you go into any Rank Xyz. Think Symphonics except faster and for Xyzs rather than Synchros. 12 monsters (maybe 1 in-archetype Xyz).

Tl;dr: Fusion one is for more decks, but the use is limited to very specific strats. Xyz one is limited to a single archetype, but it opens itself to use any generic or type/Attribute-locked Xyz.

• Like 1

I've been bouncing this idea around for a while - Spirit Extra-Deck Toolbox.

You'll have a link 1 that summons an extra deck spirit monster every turn (as interruption or advantage gain), only for them to go back to the extra deck in the end phase... and maybe a link 4 or something that summons a bunch of them for aggressive plays.

Main issue is that the singles come out far too tame (both on the thematic front and mechanical one) or too wild.

• 4 weeks later...

Finally coming back to both the game and cardmaking after a couple years hiatus and I've decided I want to get creative with my cards again. I've had a bit of time to work on Lore (which I think is just as important as anything else) as well as mechanics, but I'm having trouble deciding what to put where, if that makes sense.

So the concepts I have for Mechanics:
1) Pendulum monsters with effects such as "If you can Pendulum summon 3, you can send this card to the GY" or other things like that for the purposes of functioning as quick effects or general archetype support.

2) Monsters that banish themselves from the GY to screw with the opponent via possession, such as changing targets for monster effects they activate or summoning copies of opposing monsters.

3) Monsters with the flavor of transforming into different forms a la Dragonmaid, where instead of becoming more powerful they transform to fit key situations.

Lorewise, I need to think of an archetype name for a set of cards before I can come up with any cards, but the ones I have thus far don't feel to me like they fit what I have for mechanics.

1) Nobliris: From the words Noble and Iris, the theme is one gold eye and one purple eye, but I've no clue what mechanics or lore to attach beyond that aside from a general 'royal' theme. I'd try to attach it to a Pendulum mechanic, but I don't want it to be so derivative of Odd-Eyes.

2) An unnamed theme based on playing card motifs, similar to the Knights of Face. I thought these might be good for a deck based on controlling the size and/or contents of each player's hand but I'm not sure what to call it or how to flavor it.

3) I'd really like to make a small Beast/Wyrm archetype based on Kitsune, but again I've no idea what to use for a naming scheme or what mechanics to attach to them, although the second option seems like a decent enough fit.

If I'm in the wrong thread let me know but I couldn't find a better place to put this.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A pendulum deck with monsters with effects in the Extra Deck "While this card is Face-up in your extra deck and either player summons a Link monster (Quick effect): You can Target an unoccupied zone it points to; Special Summon this card to that zone. (Hard Thrice per turn) effect to the archetype. Also only works if you only control monsters of the archetype and/or Link monsters

• 1 month later...

So I was thinking of creating my own archetype, but im at a loss for whattheir gimmick/shared effect should be. I have this figured out. It will be themed about REAL egyptian cards. the naming will be "Name, Egyptian God of Something" They will all be light except for a select few (evil gods) And all level 6. Not sure if I want to make extra deck for the more powerful/main ones. The main boss(es) will require multiple of the basic ones to be summoned. With like maybe 3 or 4 specific cards that will kinda like combine into a boss. Any help would be appreciated. I'll start working on it and take any suggestions on the way

Here is my first example of the card:

18c32d3ec1d4.jpg

Horus, The Egyptian God of War

Level 6                                   Light

God / Effect                               

Effect:                                          

This card cannot be Normal Summoned or Set. You can Special Summon this card (from you hand) by discarding 1 "Egyptian God" monster. You can also Special Summon this card (from your hand) if you control no monsters. If this card is sent to the GY by card effect; Shuffle this card into the deck, then Special Summon an "Egyptian God" monster from your deck. The Summoned card's effects are negated until the end of your opponents next end phase. If this car battles a Defence position monster, Inflict Piercing Battle Damage

I thought that I would take a page of the dragon ruler's book for the only discarding to summon, and having GY effects. I thought it would make sense in context that the god of war would summon "reinforcements" from the deck, and inflicts piercing battle damage, since hes a God fighter. Horus is also the king of the gods, after Ra. So he being the way he is makes the most sense to me. Any help would be apreciated. I will actually start working on the next card and maybe add it here

EDIT:

Created second card.

98c084658610.jpg

Isis, Egyptian Goddess of Healing

Level 6                             Light

God / Effect

Effect:

This Card cannot be Normal Summoned / Set. If an "Egyptian God" monster is destroyed by battle or card effect; Special Summon this card from your hand. If this card is Special Summoned; Special Summon one "Egyptian God" monster from your GY, negate it's effects; and if you do; place Isis Counters on this card equal to the number of "Egyptian God" monsters in your GY. If an "Egyptian God" monster you control would be destroyed; You can remove One Isis Counter from this card instead.

I decided to focus this card on healing since Isis is the goddess of healing. Since Goddess includes God in it. It will still interact normally with searches. Kind of like D/D and D/D/D Anything that says summon a "D/D" can summon a "D/D/D". Back onto the card, I decided that it would summon itslef when another god/dess dies, and that it can keep protecting others, based on the amount that have dies / fallen. So in the late game, when you're opponent destroys your last monster and you're about to lose, you can summon this, and have a pretty good defense wall until you can get a good draw or set up one of you're bosses. I know any non destruction removal can get rid of it, but if I add unaffected by card effects, I think it would be too good

Edited by Ankh_Dev

On the H.I.V.E. Archetype...

Yes, I think some traps would definitely improve the deck. The Archetype does seem to revolve around traps, after all.

Also, why does H.I.V.E. Central stop the shifting of H.I.V.E. monster's control when so many of those monsters rely on parasitic summoning to the opponent's side of the field? Maybe make it, "Your opponent cannot change control of H.I.V.E. monsters"?

I have an idea for a new Archetype: a mutant-lizard-based deck, with a deck gimmick / goal of disabling your opponent's hand traps, while setting up your own chain traps to get the more powerful monsters on the field much more quickly. I'd want to make the art higher-quality, but since my drawing isn't really..."up there" yet, I'd probably try to get art for the cards by winning contests to get Art Commissions.

Just thought I'd post this.

• 2 months later...

Manacoile (Manacle + Coil)

EARTH Reptile archetype that revolves around chain links. Monsters all have basic quick effects that become more powerful if they are activated later in the chain link.

Their backrow consists of Quick-Play Spells & Counter Traps.

• 3 weeks later...

Abhorable - The most adorable Eldritch Abominations you've ever seen. Ritual Archetype that lets you sacrifice your opponent's monsters to summon them.

Seaborg - Azur Lane like WATER Machine monsters who turn into their ships. I think they'll have effects that activate in defense mode so you attempt to create a line of battle.

Pestie - Insects that infest your opponent's side of the field bringing back the old "Turn opponent's monsters into Insects then use effects that depend on it" strategy of Weevil's.

Edited by MickeyDee

14 hours ago, MickeyDee said:

Pestie - Insects that infest your opponent's side of the field bringing back the old "Turn opponent's monsters into Insects then use effects that depend on it" strategy of Weevil's.

Funnily enough, that gimmick was actually brought back in Rush Duels! Their latest batch of Insect support turns opponent's monsters to Insects and then debuffs 'em.

I wonder if they'll expand on that gimmick eventually...

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Redro said:

Funnily enough, that gimmick was actually brought back in Rush Duels! Their latest batch of Insect support turns opponent's monsters to Insects and then debuffs 'em.

I wonder if they'll expand on that gimmick eventually...

That is interesting. I saw they also brought back WATER cards depending on Umi so Rush seems to be going very retro.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2021 at 5:50 AM, Libracor said:

Lorewise, I need to think of an archetype name for a set of cards before I can come up with any cards, but the ones I have thus far don't feel to me like they fit what I have for mechanics.

1) Nobliris: From the words Noble and Iris, the theme is one gold eye and one purple eye, but I've no clue what mechanics or lore to attach beyond that aside from a general 'royal' theme. I'd try to attach it to a Pendulum mechanic, but I don't want it to be so derivative of Odd-Eyes.

2) An unnamed theme based on playing card motifs, similar to the Knights of Face. I thought these might be good for a deck based on controlling the size and/or contents of each player's hand but I'm not sure what to call it or how to flavor it.

3) I'd really like to make a small Beast/Wyrm archetype based on Kitsune, but again I've no idea what to use for a naming scheme or what mechanics to attach to them, although the second option seems like a decent enough fit.

If I'm in the wrong thread let me know but I couldn't find a better place to put this.

2). Pipari (from pip and pari, French for Gambling). Machine. Come in power armor Suits and boss monster ships called Decks.

3). Trixen. Named after famous Kitsune for their bosses, fox species, and kitsune powers for main monsters and support cards.

Hope this helps you. I'm better at coming up with themes than actual card mechanics but Fusion Monsters are Purple and Normal Monsters are closest to Gold so if you don't want your Nobliris to be Pendulums, maybe focus on (one of) those? Or maybe their heterochromia means they have unbalanced scales.

New archetypes:

Concrete Jungle - Beasts in business wear. Muka Muka like cards dependent on holding cards in your hand but have effects when revealed in hand to help with that. Greed archetype as my Devilicious would be to Gluttony.

Fun Sway - Oni furniture moving company that move cards around the field. To what purpose I haven't decided.

Edited by MickeyDee

• 3 weeks later...

I have been thinking about this for a while and I want to get your opinions on this. My idea is that I wanted to create cards that are based around the movies from the Jurassic Park/World franchise but I don't know where to start. It's gonna be hard Coming Up with the ideas for monsters, spells and traps related to the movies. I was wondering if you got any ideas on which ones should I start with And if you can come up with ideas on what should I put.