Card/Archetype Ideas Thread

Tinkerer

Hello, fine peoples!  Do you have an idea for a card/series/archetype, but don't have the time to finish it?  Want to get some ideas out of your head, but don't have the right wording/art for the card(s)?  You've come to the right place!

This topic is for people to post ideas for cards/archetypes without having to commit to actually making the cards for it.  This thread can also be used to figure out preliminary wording for a gimmick or simply posting concepts that they think would be fun, but can't make for various reasons.  You may also use this thread to post pictures that you want to turn into cards.

Basically, you can use this thread to tinker with any ideas you have before committing them to their own thread.

Rules

• As usual, site rules apply.
  • If you come up with multiple ideas before the normal bump limit (6 hours) and no one else has posted since your last post, please edit your previous post with your new ideaDo not post multiple times unless you do so after the normal bump limit.
  • If you see another person's idea that you like, ask them if you could use it and credit them appropriately for the idea.  If said user has not been on the site for more than ten days, you can use their idea without messaging them, but make sure to credit them in your thread.

Cheers!

• Like 5

full of cards that have effects while they are banished face up that activate during the standby phase or end phase.

based off the turn counter (I've made time sorcerers already but it could have been done better)

synchro/XYZ/link with banished cards returned to GY or deck (XYZ would be attached)

cards that search for every letter (would work different  in TCG/OCG)

cards that try to work with all extra deck monsters (tuner Fusion into synchro for an XYZ into link?)

require references (concentration mini game)

swap gimmick (fields, hands, GYs, banished, and decks)

try to have 10x your opponent life to win (effect on boss monster to check the game state)

steal monsters on opponents turn

floodgate around card names

• Like 1

LV card series that starts with a LV 1 Ritual Monster, but the Ritual Monster has to have the right total Level of Tributes to continue the LV Summon chain on top of the traditional "Require the card before" effect-given rule.

Cards that refer to Original Priority.

Cards that treat "otherwise" impervious effects as having "influence" instead and cards that negate those influences and effects (in that order or simultaneously -- it wouldn't work the other way around).

An actually "Fair" card that changes your LP to 0 or reacts to you having 0 LP (But you don't Lose the Duel as a result, at least until the effect is finished doing what it is doing.)

Might have time to come up with these myself, might not, but here you go.

Archetype ideas with gimmicks:

Phazer

An archetype of LIGHT monsters that can attack directly.  They only inflict 100 damage, but by inflicting any battle damage they get to activate powerful effects that usually revolve around hand manipulation.

Hypermassive

An archetype that consists entirely of Level 7 and higher monsters.  They have relatively easy summoning conditions and decently powerful effects, but they only work as long as your GY does not contain Level 6 or lower monsters.

Kaleidoscope

An insect archetype of monsters that have minor effects when you have no backrow.  However, they have a field spell that changes the text of the monsters so that they gain the effects for each card in their backrow.

Node

An archetype of Level 1 Cyberse monsters that focus on Xyz Summoning.  The goal is to summon their Rank 5 monster by floating into the Main Deck monsters from the GY.  The Xyzs also have a secondary gimmick of stacking themselves on top of each other from the GY.

Aethereal (probably need a different name for this.  I've already made/posted a completely different "Aethereal" archetype)

An archetype that builds upon the gimmick of the "Clear" monsters: i.e. they don't have Attributes (while on the field/GY).  They are also direct support for Dark Hole with their monsters being able to search/recur it while also benefitting from being destroyed.

Blightmare 

Archetype of monsters that have different effects depending on who took damage during that turn.  A secondary gimmick revolves stat reduction and turning their own lowered stats into powerful effects. (Probably won't use this.  Some preliminary cards have really long effect texts and can't be effectively simplified given how the gimmick operates.)

Integer

A Level-changing archetype that supports Number monsters and gives them additional effects (a la Zoodiacs)

Echo

An archetype that revolves around a single Level 4 Tuner with a "multi Synchro" effect - it can summon 2 Synchro monsters at the same time.

The archetypal Synchros share a common effect: if they are the only Synchro on the field, they are returned to the Extra Deck, then summon 2 archetypal non-Tuners from the GY.  The game plan is to Synchro Summon pairs of Synchros to handle different situations rather than just 1 Synchro at a time.

Hourglass

The deck utilizes a "protect the castle" style strategy that revolves around the Field Spell "Hourglass Golem".  The Golem becomes a monster while you control an "Hourglass Battery" card.  The "Hourglass Batteries" are often Continuous Spells and they can only stay on the field a limited amount of time (as dictated by the number of Sand Power Counters on them).  The batteries can also trigger their own powerful effects, but they cost Sand Power Counters to use.

Steam Beast

A FIRE Aqua archetype of animals made of/hidden in steam.  Neither player takes battle damage from them, and they put themselves on the bottom of the Deck when they leave the field.  Besides the "no damage", their gimmick involves powering up giant devices (continuous spells) that then inflict massive damage on their behalf.

Elementile

Reptile archetype that mixes with other types and has a host of triple fusions with powerful effects.  Each "Elementile" has a secondary type to make mixing them easier (mini version of Hybrid monsters.  See "Gimmicks w/o archetypes" section).

They have a secondary "tributing" gimmick; most Main Deck monsters trigger an effect when tributed and the Triple Fusions can Special Summon themselves during the End Phase if they get tributed.

Volatile

A set of anti-Extra Deck monsters.  They prevent you from special summoning from the Extra Deck, but in exchange, they have powerful board-breaking potential. (Dogmatika)

Templar

An archetype of Warrior monsters that revolve around placing them in specific columns to gain specific benefits.  (Security Force)

Statutist

An archetype whose gimmick is that it lacks any effects that activate.

Flame Augur

An archetype that puts opponents' cards in your Deck/on top of your Deck and triggers powerful effects when an opponent's card is drawn.

Einherjar/Draugr

Zombie Spirit archetype whose gimmick is that they can be NS'd from the GY.  Instead of being returned to the hand, they get sent to the GY... and they make sure they don't go alone!  Straightforward archetype that revolves around literally using your GY as a second hand and getting rid of crippling boards.  They use continuous spells to modify damage and protect the player (given their typical lack of board presence.

Archetype themes without playstyle/gimmick:

Planants

Level 10+ cosmic ants whose abdomens are planet-sized.  The queen ant acts as the "sun" that the rest of the Planants revolve around.

Punk Rock

A WIND Thunder rock-n-roll archetype that fills the opponent's board with an enraptured audience (tokens).

R.I.F.T.

The RIFT: a cosmic hole of pure entropy that opened above Earth one day.

A Synchro and Xyz archetype comprised of Scientists (Psychics) who study the RIFT and cultists (Spellcasters) who worship the RIFT.  Both sides have differing playstyles, but I never figured out their gimmicks nor what the RIFT is supposed to do.

Scriptagonist

EARTH, Shakespeare themed monsters.

Archword

High level EARTH Fairies that also treat themselves as Fiends.  Think of them as the "rules" that the Archfiends and Archlords have to abide by.  They have bonus effects from both "The Sanctuary in the Sky" and "Pandemonium".

Gimmicks without archetypes:

• Cards with conditional effects that can trigger when drawn.  If it resolves appropriately, you draw 1 additional card.
  • "Hybrid-type" - a type of monster that is always treated as every type of monster.  Think Battle Pack 3.
  • Non-Pendulum monsters that can place themselves face-up in the Extra Deck to be Pendulum Summoned later.
  • Putting "Counters" on monsters that would be used as Fusion Material.  Monsters with the Counters cannot be used as Material for anything else and get sent to the GY during the End Phase.  "Loan Fusion"?
  • Monsters that do/do not want to be in the same location at the same time.  i.e. If you have 2 cards with the same name in GY, one banishes itself, while the other adds itself to hand.
  • Monsters with different effects depending on whose turn it is.
  • "If this is the only card/monster you control, resolve this effect twice."
  • Pendulum Summon from GY.

This is all the reasonable-sounding ideas that I've logged in my current phone's notes.  It'll be good for me to have all this inspiration in one place instead of having to dig back through the app.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I actually want arc-v Intergration Summon to be a thing. Although not full ice cream color like anime Zarc, 3 color including mandatory pendulum part is enough and i personaly think Ritual-Synchro-Pendulum Intergration is cool looking as hell

And that note of multiple moded card, Its a bit extreme but i want yugioh to adapt MTG's Double face card concept especially the their MDFC. Its a brilliant idea to delegate card ever growing text, adding more flavor of either alternate form or 2-in-1/tag team combination. And since any player will sleeves their cards anyway it pose no problem to public knowledege part of the game

• 4 weeks later...

Therian - Gemini Beast Spellcaster and Warrior monsters who become Beast Warrior when they are double summoned. Werewolves.

Black Tide - Water monsters whose effect changes when they are made Zombies. Pirates who pillage opponent’s deck, hand, and Graveyard.

Pelagic - Dark Flip Fish. Haven't decided on strategy. Based on deep sea life.

ANT - Fire Insects whose effects depend on how many monsters with their name are already on the field or graveyard. Names are puns - MilitANT, SergeANT, InformANT.

Trolol - Dark Cyberse monsters based on both mythological and Internet Trolls. Need very annoying strategy for these guys.

Grimm - Fairytale characters reimagined as monster hunters.

Metamon - Level monsters as Pokemon parodies and the Tamera who control them.

• Like 1

Updates and Questions:

The Therians will have Ritual Support so that similar themed cards Lycanthrope and Cu Chulain the Awakened can be splashed with them as Geminis are Normal monsters in the GY.

Black Tide has been renamed Cursed Sea. I have the full member list done for them they will probably come out first.

Decided on Grimm gimmick; as they are Monster Hunters, they will be the anti-Dark version to the Allies of Justice. At least 1 member of every other attribute.

I'm better at forming fun concepts than actual deck strategies so I want to crowd source the strategy of three of my archetypes. I have themes for them but I need solid mechanics.

I need a way to set apart my Pelagic monsters from other face down archetypes like Ghostricks and Subterror.

The Trolol are supposed to be a fun yet annoying deck that messes with the opponent some how. What kind of playstyle would you consider fitting for these trolls?

Metamon LV monsters will be Insects in homage to Pokemon's origins while the tamers will be Psychics. I just need help with their actual win strategy.

Any suggestions or advice on how to choose playstyles myself will be much appreciated.

Finally, a new Archetype on my ever expanding plate that actually does have its gimmick all worked out:

Xstream - Wind Warriors and Psychics based on extreme sports. Effects activate either when you take battle damage or while you have less life points than your opponent. Clears the field to set up an OTK. Take risks and live life to the extreme!!!

Edited by MickeyDee
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

BBA6CEF9-B3AC-44E9-9C73-5B47412D2B07.thumb.jpeg.7183d909d2436a3d489a96266d9a278b.jpeg72D20A63-CEA6-4D7E-8690-EE49D7C0F26B.jpeg.3d9b77e03d63b05eaab8b618b7f90345.jpeg491FDD18-9BC1-4071-8188-0FB1B3BFEEE2.jpeg.3ed809567f37142de15c675636a621ee.jpegEF312BC0-CC07-4E39-A22B-B7D18B8E4230.jpeg.c1095f83961d749b8ddd463e14d4c9c0.jpegFA50A1D4-5853-414C-9C45-929496E407A9.jpeg.232d62466dcaca6253d073b91bf0d2c2.jpegAAD97CF3-E388-41EB-8411-065DC45DFB95.jpeg.e0d2f0b47324e85a463e37ddecd89c96.jpegC2028B56-5312-4488-ADCB-00338BCA814E.jpeg.720d3954f556fd8110e748a8eb2af6aa.jpegB3211E46-9124-4874-B578-52387403C2EB.thumb.jpeg.690959a3e51bea65d8ba23baa61fb016.jpegA05CFDE7-EA50-4959-B84F-61B97E201E7F.thumb.jpeg.c0b16e6c0a0ad7c06cac8375686aca9c.jpegC5191FFC-0112-442B-AA53-6F3FEB74A258.thumb.jpeg.42c13152367d530eab7a2cf91409551e.jpeg“Yellow-Eyes”

Consists of level 1 LIGHT Tuners and Defence Position Special Summons and mostly uses the card “Yellow-Eyes Golden Dragon” for the strategy play, they also use Fusions, Synchros & Xyz monsters under the title “Yellow-Eyes”. The decks have a large use of counter traps like “Counter Gate”

“Divine-Eyes”

Just like the “Yellow-Eyes” archetype I just mentioned, they use Fusions, Synchros & Xyzs. Except that they use hence “Yellow-Eyes” Fusion, Synchro or Xyz monsters as material (this was mainly based on the signature cards from the corresponding series: YuGiOh!, YuGiOh! 5DS & YuGiOh! ZEXAL) I’ve already made my own versions of the “Yellow-Eyes”/“Divine-Eyes” Deck in a website called DuellingBook. It plays a lot like the “Elemental HEROES” archetype.

• Like 1

(yep i still haven't have time and brain power to house these 2)

Oversider Hound
DARK / Level 1 / Psychic / Effect

If either this card is Summoned OR a non-token "Oversider" Monster you control is destroyed While this card in your GY and it Discarded there because you had more cards than your hand size limt, Special Summon 1 Oversider Token (DARK/ Level 1/Psychic/ATK 0/DEF 0). those token cannot be destroyed by battle or card effect during the turn it was Summoned

ATK 1500 / DEF 1500

Imagine the game bloodborne but its a ghost from space~ turns out, taking advantage of mandatory discarding your excess hand is very hard to do since its can be quite slow and you trapped on at most 2 option being: making the search/draw power crazy OR lessen your hand size which is my current choice although not featured on this sample. 

Well for story lovers this come with a rather simple lore: evil king keep banishing anyone or eveything thats alive and he find annoying without realizing he banish those people in a rather cursed place that turns any living creature into a extra-dimensional "ghost" of themselves. And now the "ghost" ready to bite the king's ass 

Swashdugger's Shadow, Bonnie
WATER / Level 4 / Warrior / Effect

If this card is Summoned: Place 1 Plunder Counter on 1 other monster each player control (Whenever cards with Plunder Counter activated its effect(s) that require coin toss, you can toss additional coin for that effect for each Plunder Counter on that card). During your Main Phase: Discard 1 card and Toss a Coin(s); Add "Swashdugger" card from your Deck to your hand equal to the number of Head(s) +1 then remove 1 Plunder Counter on this card. you can only activate this effect of "Swashdugger's Shadow, Bonnie" once per turn. 

ATK 1800 / DEF 0

Yarrr, Its pretty simple mate. Pirates! That use actualy Coin of the booty to use their effects. But why stop there, lets make the counter that generically boost all coin flip card the require 2+ result

• Like 1

Update: My previously mentioned Pelagic monsters will be split into 3 subseries - Bathyal Pelagic main deck monsters, Abyssal Pelagic synchro monsters and Hadal Pelagic XYZ monsters. They will be a reverse tuning archetype like Ursartic so the idea is that going lower in level is going deeper into the ocean and actually getting stronger cards. The Hadal Pelagic monsters require multiple Level 1 Synchro monsters as materials.

Mixing Latin American foods with Japanese warriors: meet the Ñinjas and their signature Taco Techniques!

It's a weird thematic mixing that came to me when I was eating lunch (yes, I had a burrito, what of it?). The archetype itself is not likely to be very unique. I had a vague idea of a bunch of relatively weak monsters with the Taco Techniques largely being equip spells, but that's about it.

Edited by Tinkerer

Deck that switches between being monarch like and using the extra deck by messing with turn counter (was going to make this and realized it was ridiculous)

sorry for the back to back post meant to merge

oh yeah might make this one: monsters that can be summoned from anywhere even your opponent's GY banished zone and Extra deck (not their hand or deck) 

Edited by ITSUKOSOADO

Hamstar - Hamsters operating Mecha and high tech vehicles exactly how you expect  hamsters to - wheel power! I'm kind of thinking Gadgetish with trap monsters that then equip the Main Deck monsters onto them.

Megapede - Light Level 1 Insects that build longer and longer Centipedes as well as larger and larger Links which float their weaker versions when destroyed. How big can a Link monster get before it's reasonable for its effect to be "You Win"?

Hattrick- based on magicians and Magical Hats. They are warriors instead of spellcasters to symbolize that they don't do real magic. Focus on putting Spell and Trap cards in the monster zone then gaining advantage when the magician reveals they weren't attacked. (Representing a successful trick).

Dominome- Mad Tinker Gnomes and their Rube Goldberg devices. Focus on building chains with their spells/ traps and after the chain resolves, the gnome's effects activate which are powered by how large the chain was.

Devilicious- Level 1 Dark Fiends which depict gremlins offering fine cuisine. They all gain level equal to the number of Devilicious monsters you control and add effects when used as material for their XYZ monsters. Their XYZ monsters (Rank 3,4, and 5 based on restaurant ratings) meanwhile have continuous effects while they have materials but digest 1 material each End Phase.

Danse - Zombie versions of the Cyber Ladies but with a consistent strategy of allowing monsters in their column to attack directly then gaining advantage with their own effects. Field Spell is named Danse Danse Maccabre. 

Stitchcraft - Dark monsters of various types representing Frankenstein like creations. They all allow contact fusion and grant potent effects to monsters fused summoning them. The fusion monsters aren't anything special without granted effects, the boss is a material 5000 ATK non effect monster.

Edited by MickeyDee
  • Like 2

On 7/24/2021 at 11:42 PM, MickeyDee said:

Dominome- Mad Tinker Gnomes and their Rube Goldberg devices. Focus on building chains with their spells/ traps and after the chain resolves, the gnome's effects activate which are powered by how large the chain was.

Devilicious- Level 1 Dark Fiends which depict gremlins offering fine cuisine. They all gain level equal to the number of Devilicious monsters you control and add effects when used as material for their XYZ monsters. Their XYZ monsters (Rank 3,4, and 5 based on restaurant ratings) meanwhile have continuous effects while they have materials but digest 1 material each End Phase.

these two quite interesting since i did tinker with similar kind of effects in the past. heck, devilicious even so similar in theme with Gastroyomis that linked in my sig its just uncanny (its an archive thread though so no replying please)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dokutah Jolly said:

these two quite interesting since i did tinker with similar kind of effects in the past. heck, devilicious even so similar in theme with Gastroyomis that linked in my sig its just uncanny (its an archive thread though so no replying please)

I haven't seen your Tinkers yet. I'll admit to having seen your GastroYomis before. I'm making 7 Deadly Duelists Archetypes/Series and the idea of little goblins in chef's hats or waiter uniforms definitely inspired my Gluttony archetype above. 

Edited by MickeyDee
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I have an idea for an Archetype. On this one I was planning to use the Link/Pendulum option in the Beta Card Maker for it. The only problem is, I'm not sure wich theme should use for it. I had one already in mind. But the only problem is, I am not sure if I should work with it; after all, most of the images I was planning to use are from cards from other games (and I know that in this kind of thing you can go wild with your creativity, but I should put some limits to it, at least on me). Not to mention that I can already imagine/think of the rest of the cards on the fly, but I can't seem to find the right image for each one. I also know that if I can't make images of the cards, I can just write them, but I prefer making the cards, because I'd rather have a "visual" image of their appearence, than a "textual" one.

And if it can't be that theme, I could always think of another one, but right now... nothing comes to mind. Can anyone held me with this? It really is messing with my head.

Flip/Pendulum archetype

The low scales can flip your monsters face-down + has an effect that triggers when a monster is flipped face-up (note to self: allow these to work during Damage Step)

High scales can flip a monster face-up + has an effect that triggers when a monster is flipped face-down (note to self: make these more powerful because this is a less common condition)

FLIP effects should partially have effects that allow you to bounce your scales so you can keep flipping monsters.

On 8/16/2021 at 6:17 AM, JairoLeyn100 said:

I have an idea for an Archetype. On this one I was planning to use the Link/Pendulum option in the Beta Card Maker for it. The only problem is, I'm not sure wich theme should use for it. I had one already in mind. But the only problem is, I am not sure if I should work with it; after all, most of the images I was planning to use are from cards from other games (and I know that in this kind of thing you can go wild with your creativity, but I should put some limits to it, at least on me). Not to mention that I can already imagine/think of the rest of the cards on the fly, but I can't seem to find the right image for each one. I also know that if I can't make images of the cards, I can just write them, but I prefer making the cards, because I'd rather have a "visual" image of their appearence, than a "textual" one.

And if it can't be that theme, I could always think of another one, but right now... nothing comes to mind. Can anyone held me with this? It really is messing with my head.

That sounds like a very interesting archetype, just DM for the cards, effects and what kind of spells/traps you would like to see and I’ll see what I can do 

On 8/22/2021 at 10:34 PM, Tinkerer said:

Flip/Pendulum archetype

The low scales can flip your monsters face-down + has an effect that triggers when a monster is flipped face-up (note to self: allow these to work during Damage Step)

High scales can flip a monster face-up + has an effect that triggers when a monster is flipped face-down (note to self: make these more powerful because this is a less common condition)

FLIP effects should partially have effects that allow you to bounce your scales so you can keep flipping monsters.

ooh, that sounds like a formidable archetype and would very possibly give links a run for their money, I’ll try to work on it 

11 minutes ago, JairoLeyn100 said:

Hey, I posted some 'written' cards of that Archetype. You can check them out if you want to.

It's the clock stuff, right? I've had your thread open in another tab on my phone all day because I wanted to comment on it, but didn't have the time to sit and think.

Mind if I shoot ya a pm? I dunno if I'd be able to gather my thoughts together for a formal post; I think it'd be easier for me to run down some points over pm.