(Experimental) Supreme Nullification [WRITTEN]

Tinkerer

Supreme Nullification

Continuous Trap

Activate this card by paying 2000 LP. Numerals that are less than 10 in the effect text of cards on the field become 0. Send this card to the GY at the end of the next turn.

This card represents a gimmick that I plan to make into a whole archetype.

In case the card doesn't make sense, the intent is for all card effects that specify any numeral from 0-9 to be treated as 0.

For example: you chain this card when your opponent activates "Upstart Goblin". Your opponent will draw 0 cards (because the numeral "1" in the effect is replaced), but you still gain 1000 LP (because 1000 is not a single-digit number).

Alternatively, you can use it to your benefit in rare circumstances. If you have it face-up on the field, you can activate cards like "Lightning Vortex", "Silent Graveyard", or Counter Traps that discard cards without actually having to pay for their costs.

This turns off almost every searcher and draw spell as well as most targeting effects. I even found an "FTK"/OTK combo with it (a like to whoever can figure it out!).

What would you use this for?

On top of the samples you mentioned, you can preemptively flip this card up when you think the opponent has targeting negation (Impermanence, Fiendish Chain, etc. I'm guessing you cannot do anything about lower chain links that already designated their target in the chain, but any future additions that turn will target 0 monsters. Even S/T removal like Cosmic Cyclone will now destroy 0 cards if they did not do it.

I find it interesting how this card can fully nullify Trishula. 
Virtually anything that's LP, ATK, or DEF is left untouched, but anything that mentions Level/Rank/Rating/Scales/targeting will most likely fizzle.
Does this make the "min Level 1" clauses legally change to "min Level 0"? I think the game has something against it but the game DOES say "effects > rules" xD

Well, even beyond targeting effects, Maxx C/Shared Ride draw 0 x hilariously and Obedience Schooled/Rescue Monsters all now Special Summon 0 monsters.... any revival that mentions numbers too..... so that just leaves Dimension Fusion, Return from the Different Dimension, Soul Charge, and Rekindling as virtually the only allowed revivals, and only the last of those isn't banned.

I like it.

9 hours ago, Sleepy said:

On top of the samples you mentioned, you can preemptively flip this card up when you think the opponent has targeting negation (Impermanence, Fiendish Chain, etc. I'm guessing you cannot do anything about lower chain links that already designated their target in the chain, but any future additions that turn will target 0 monsters. Even S/T removal like Cosmic Cyclone will now destroy 0 cards if they did not do it.

I find it interesting how this card can fully nullify Trishula. 
Virtually anything that's LP, ATK, or DEF is left untouched, but anything that mentions Level/Rank/Rating/Scales/targeting will most likely fizzle.
Does this make the "min Level 1" clauses legally change to "min Level 0"? I think the game has something against it but the game DOES say "effects > rules" xD

Well, even beyond targeting effects, Maxx C/Shared Ride draw 0 x hilariously and Obedience Schooled/Rescue Monsters all now Special Summon 0 monsters.... any revival that mentions numbers too..... so that just leaves Dimension Fusion, Return from the Different Dimension, Soul Charge, and Rekindling as virtually the only allowed revivals, and only the last of those isn't banned.

I like it.

Pretty much! You summarized it nicely.

I was originally going to just make it a normal trap, but it just felt like a weird Solemn card at that point. I switched it to remove itself at the end of the turn it was activated, but that could end up forcing players to skip their turns entirely if they can't get around its restrictions, so I decided to make it affect both players' turns.

9 hours ago, Dokutah Jolly said:

Could it be more legal if worded like this though:

"Number listed on the text that less than 10 becomes 0"

As for the card sleepy pretty much summerize it, pseudo-negation with suprisingly wide range of uses

This is probably a much simpler way of wording it, thanks!

I do want to make sure it says "numeral" instead of "number" though since there are a few cards with the words "one" and "two" written out (rather than 1 and 2). Those ones with the numbers written out should not be changed.

9 hours ago, ITSUKOSOADO said:

You can make any effect that contains a whole number greater than say 50 become zero! Really cool concept.

Haha! Yeah, that would be the other logical direction. On the whole, I think a card with that kind of effect would be a bit less useful overall since it would pretty much only affect ATK/DEF manipulation + LP increases/decreases.

Thanks all!

18 hours ago, Tinkerer said:

Supreme Nullification

Continuous Trap

Activate this card by paying 2000 LP. Numerals that are less than 10 in the effect text of cards on the field become 0. Send this card to the GY at the end of the next turn.

This card represents a gimmick that I plan to make into a whole archetype.

In case the card doesn't make sense, the intent is for all card effects that specify any numeral from 0-9 to be treated as 0.

For example: you chain this card when your opponent activates "Upstart Goblin". Your opponent will draw 0 cards (because the numeral "1" in the effect is replaced), but you still gain 1000 LP (because 1000 is not a single-digit number).

Alternatively, you can use it to your benefit in rare circumstances. If you have it face-up on the field, you can activate cards like "Lightning Vortex", "Silent Graveyard", or Counter Traps that discard cards without actually having to pay for their costs.

This turns off almost every searcher and draw spell as well as most targeting effects. I even found an "FTK"/OTK combo with it (a like to whoever can figure it out!).

What would you use this for?

Hmmm, if you included 10, I can see how to get to that with Utopia Prime...hmmm...I mean, if they use enough halving cards on their turn

6 hours ago, Erika Mishima said:

Question, what about dice effect? it mentions numbers too

Imo, they would, so unless we go into the realm of quantum mechanics, you won't be able to roll a 0 sided die and apply the result of 0 or 0 or 0 or 0 or 0... or 0.

1 hour ago, MickeyDee said:

Does effect text include summoning requirements? Could you summon XYZ monsters with 0 Level 0 monsters?

Edit: Nevermind, stupid question I answered myself/

There's no such things as stupid questions. In a sense, you acquired knowledge by asking, even if the source of such knowledge was your inner self... man, I'm on fire today xD

Hey for the question of dice it would stop only some of them. The six sided die would still be rolled because

11 hours ago, Tinkerer said:

I do want to make sure it says "numeral" instead of "number" though since there are a few cards with the words "one" and "two" written out (rather than 1 and 2). Those ones with the numbers written out should not be changed.

therefore "six sided" wouldn't be affected. If a card said increase the level based off the result it would work as no other number would be mentioned but cards like Roulette Spider with six possibilities would get nothing because you can't roll a zero.

One interesting card that can work with this is (custom)

Extrovert's Party

Spell

Roll a six sided die and if the result minus the number of monsters your opponent controls = 7, all monsters you control gain attack equal to the number rolled x 200, and if they did, gain LP equal to the number rolled x 500. 

^This card^ couldn't work without Tinkerer's card but with it is fairly powerful. (you could add lower ATK DEF or deal damage or gain DEF or modify levels with similar effects or even make the effect work on it's own by replacing 7 with zero or making the card work without it and guarantee it with Tinkerer's effect by sayin something like >= 5

19 hours ago, Erika Mishima said:

Question, what about dice effect? it mentions numbers too

Itsu gave a good answer for this, but in short: you can roll a six-sided die since "six" in that text is not a numeral, but a written-out number.

If a card has specific effects for each die roll (like "Dicephoon" or "Orgoth the Relentless"), then the effects should not work since you can't roll a "0". Other types of effects (like "Ghost Beef", "Mild Turkey", and "Maximum Six") can work pretty much as normal.

15 hours ago, TheWanderingMist said:

Hmmm, if you included 10, I can see how to get to that with Utopia Prime...hmmm...I mean, if they use enough halving cards on their turn

Lol, that's a good one. Reverse FTK! But yeah, that would not work with the way the card is written now.

14 hours ago, MickeyDee said:

Does effect text include summoning requirements? Could you summon XYZ monsters with 0 Level 0 monsters?

Edit: Nevermind, stupid question I answered myself/

Like Rayfield said, there are no stupid questions.

To clarify the answer for anyone else that is curious: this card does not change monster levels (unless the monster itself has a level-changing effect, i.e. "Gagaga Magician" or "Dododo Buster"). Regardless, there are no Xyzs that can be Summoned using "Level 0" monsters.

Archived