Time moved so fast, right? (Chronous archetype)

Kanashimi

As usual, i searched for a silly card on the pool, then i found this

PyroClockofDestiny-PGD-NA-C-UE.png

"Move the turn count forward by 1 turn. The turn in which this card is activated continues as normal."

Question is, 1) What the hell with that effect? 2) Can we do something with that gimmick/mechanic/turn-count based effect? 3) Konami haven't make something out of this yet, and i see no one here too making it? (at least what i am seeing)

So here i am, albeit kind of busy, cant contain myself to see what kind playstyle if it were made as an archetype, as such, making the cards suddenly as of now 😄

Explanation wise, Chronous, portmanteau of Chronos/Khronos (Time) and Nous (Common Sense/Practical Intelligence), a bunch of guys/creature, able to control time, keeping the time intact for the balance of all universe

Also art taken from CFV, Gear Chronicles

As you can see, i am rushed to make this, so it is still unfinished (no effect for some cards), anyway, thoughts?

JMdiTFM.png

Chronous Virna, the Maiden

EARTH/Level 2

Psychic/Tuner

You can reveal 1 other "Chronous" monster; discard this card, and if you do, draw 1 card, also move the turn count forward by 1 turn, then if the turn count is at 30 turns or higher, you win the Duel. If you activate this effect, you cannot win the Duel by cards or effects, except by the effect of "Chronous Virna, the Maiden". If the turn count is at 5 turns or higher while this card is in the GY and you control a "Chronous" monster: You can Special Summon this card, but shuffle it to the Deck when it leaves the field. You can only use this effect of "Chronous Virna, the Maiden" once per turn.

0/2000

AwdVTXD.png

Chronous Saniya, the Watcher

EARTH/Level 2

Psychic/Tuner

You can reveal 1 other "Chronous" monster; discard this card, then add 1 "Chronous" monster from your Deck to your hand. You can shuffle this card in your GY to the Deck; send 1 "Chronous" card from your Deck to the GY, except "Chronous Saniya, the Watcher", then if you send "Chronous Virna" monster this way, move the turn count forward by 1 turn. You can only use each effect of "Chronous Saniya, the Watcher" once per turn.

1000/0

tvPS4zK.png

Chronous Prissy, the Ticking

EARTH/Level 2

Psychic/Tuner

If the turn count is at 3 or higher, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand.) If this card is sent to the GY: You can target 1 "Chronous" monster in your GY, except "Chronous Prissy, the Ticking"; add it to your hand, then if you add "Chronous Virna" monster this way, move the turn count forward by 1 turn. You can only use each effect of "Chronous Prissy, the Ticking" once per turn.

600/800

ALPxpTC.png

Chronous Phoenix, the Rewind

EARTH/Level 4

Machine/Effect

If the turn count is at 4 or higher, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand.) If this card is Summoned: You can target 1 "Chronous" monster in your GY, except "Chronous Phoenix, the Rewind", Special Summon it, then if you Special Summon "Chronous Virna" monster this way, move the turn count forward by 1 turn. You can only use this effect of "Chronous Phoenix, the Rewind" once per turn.

1400/1600

zWXlXdN.png

Chronous Catty, the Meowing

EARTH/Level 4

Machine/Effect

If the turn count is at 4 or higher: You can reveal this card in your hand, then target 1 card your opponent controls; discard this card, and if you do, shuffle the target into the Deck. During the Main Phase: You can shuffle this card and 1 "Chronous" monster from your GY into the Deck; add 1 "Chronous" Spell/Trap or 1 "Chronous Virna, the Maiden" from your Deck to your hand, then if you add "Chronous Virna, the Maiden" this way, move the turn count forward by 1 turn. You can only use 1 effect of "Chronous Catty, the Meowing" per turn, and only once that turn.

1500/1500

w5UMY3r.png

Chronous Unicorn, the Gallop

EARTH/Level 4

Machine/Effect

(Quick Effect): You can target 1 "Chronous" monster you control; return it to the hand, and if you do, Special Summon this card from your hand, then if you return "Chronous Virna" monster to your hand this way, move the turn count forward by 1 turn. (Quick Effect): Immediately after this effect resolves; Synchro Summon 1 Synchro Monster, by using only "Chronous" monster you control, including this card. You can only use each effect of "Chronous Unicorn, the Gallop" once per turn.

1800/800

ROJZXPz.png

Chronous Drake, the Stagnant

EARTH/Level 7

Machine/Effect

If the turn count is at 6 or higher, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand.) If you control a Psychic Tuner monster, this card becomes Level 4 while on the field. Once per turn, if a monster effect is activated: You can send 1 "Chronous" card from your Deck to the GY; negate the effect, then if "Chronous Virna" monster was sent this way, move the turn count forward by 1 turn. You can only control 1 "Chronous Drake, the Stagnant".

2700/1300

pdlstI3.png

Chronous Wyvern, the Forward

EARTH/Level 6

Machine/Effect

If the turn count is at 6 or higher, you can Special Summon this card (from your hand.) If you control a Psychic Tuner monster, this card becomes Level 4 while on the field. During the Main Phase: You can Special Summon 1 "Chronous" monster from your Deck, then your opponent can Special Summon 1 monster from their Deck, also if "Chronous Virna" is Special Summoned this way, move the turn count forward by 1 turn. You can target 1 card you control and 1 card your opponent controls; return it to the hand. You can only use each effect of "Chronous Wyvern, the Forward" once per turn.

2000/2400

9Cz3J76.png

Chronous Virna, the Keeper

EARTH/Level 6

Psychic/Synchro/Effect

1 Psychic Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
If this card is Synchro Summoned: You can add 1 "Chronous Virna, the Maiden" from your Deck or GY to your hand, then if this card is Synchro Summoned by using "Chronous Virna, the Maiden" as material, move the turn count forward by 2 turns. If the turn count moved forward by a card or effect: You can target 1 face-up card on the field; negate its effect until the End Phase, then if it is a monster, it loses 500 ATK and DEF, also, if its ATK and/or DEF becomes 0 this way, shuffle it to the Deck. You can only control 1 "Chronous VIrna, the Keeper".

2300/2000

AMINUHa.png

Chronous Virna, the Genesis

EARTH/Level 8

Psychic/Synchro/Effect

1 Psychic Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
Once per turn, if this card is Synchro Summoned or turn moved forward by a card or effect: You can target up to 2 cards in your GY (including at least 1 "Chronous" card); move the turn count forward by 1 turn, and if you do, shuffle those targets to the Deck, then either add 1 "Chronous" card from your Deck to your hand or banish 1 card your opponent controls. You can only control 1 "Chronous Virna, the Genesis".

2800/2000

DnQwpdi.png

Chronous Dragon, the Resetter

EARTH/Level 8

Machine/Synchro/Effect

1 Psychic Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters1 Psychic Tuner + 1 or more non-Tuner monsters
If this card is Synchro Summoned: Move the turn count backwards until it becomes turn 1, then this card gains the following effects based on the total of turns moved.
● 5 or more: Shuffle any monster that battle with this card before damage calculation.
● 10 or more: Cannot be targeted or be destroyed by card effects.
● 15 or more: Can attack all monsters your opponent controls once each.
● 20 or more: Draw 3 cards.

2000/3000

mQGyYR4.png

Chronous Elysium

Spell/Field

If this card is activated: If the turn count is at 5 or lower, move the turn count forward until it becomes turn 6, then during the End Phase, move the turn count backwards up to the number of turn count moved forward by the effect of "Chronous Elysium", otherwise excavate the top cards of your Deck until you excavate a "Chronous" card and add it to your hand, also shuffle the rest into the Deck. Once per turn: You can target 1 "Chronous" monster you control; it gains ATK and DEF equal to the current turn count x 100. You can only activate 1 "Chronous Elysium" per turn.

TLIbC33.png

Chronous Paradox

Spell/Continuous

Each time a turn moved forward by a card or effect: You can draw 1 card, and if you do, place 1 card from your hand to the bottom of your Deck, then place 1 Chrono Counter on this card (max. 5.) If this card has 5 Chrono Counters, destroy this card. During the Main Phase: You can banish this card from your GY; add 1 "Chronous" monster from your Deck to your hand, then shuffle 1 card from your hand into the Deck. You can only use this effect of "Chronous Paradox" once per turn. You can only control 1 "Chronous Paradox".

1EgmpbY.png

Chronous Timeworn

Trap/Continuous

If your opponent Special Summon a monster, activate 1 of these effects. You can only control 1 "Chronous Timeworn".
● That monster gains this effect "Destroy this card during the 6th turn after this card is Special Summoned".
● Move the turn count forward by 1 turn, also during the End Phase, move the turn count backwards up to the number of the turn count moved forward by this effect of "Chronous Timeworn" -1.

qYXYntB.png

Chronous Time Shield

Trap/Counter

If the turn count is at 10 or higher, you can activate this card from your hand. If a card or effect is activated while you control a "Chronous" Syncho Monster: You can negate the effect, then place 1 Chrono Counter on that card. During your Main Phase: You can banish this card from your GY, then target 1 card your opponent controls with no Chrono Counter; destroy it. You can only use 1 effect of "Chronous Time Shield" per turn and only once that turn.

This is a great mechanic, hope you don't mind me making a card for the archetype, cause I'm doing it

• Chronous Pyre, the Mechanic
  • FIRE
  • Level 2
  • Psychic / Reverse-Gemini
  • Cannot be Normal summoned: Must be Special summoned or Set. Once per turn: Tribute 1 "Chronous" monster; Move the turn count backward by 3 and if you do: this card is treated as a normal monster until it's sent to the GY or banished zone. When this card is in the graveyard: Shuffle this card back into the deck
  • atk 2000 / def 0

The idea behind them is that, instead of fast-forwarding time, they can reverse it.

they also have reverse stats to "Chronous Virna, the Maiden" to amplify the reverse theme

3 minutes ago, Yami Kiniko said:

This is a great mechanic, hope you don't mind me making a card for the archetype, cause I'm doing it

• Chronous Pyre, the Mechanic
  • FIRE
  • Level 2
  • Psychic / Reverse-Gemini
  • Cannot be Normal summoned: Must be Special summoned or Set. Once per turn: Tribute 1 "Chronous" monster; Move the turn count backward by 3 and if you do: this card is treated as a normal monster until it's sent to the GY or banished zone. When this card is in the graveyard: Shuffle this card back into the deck
  • atk 2000 / def 0

The idea behind them is that, instead of fast-forwarding time, they can reverse it.

they also have reverse stats to "Chronous Virna, the Maiden" to amplify the reverse theme

While the idea of reverse Virna sounds good, i am planning for the archetype to become "Virna hand looping and exodia win"), although i already make the Chronous Dragon, the Stopper as the time consuming card (reverse the turn count backwards until turn 1), anyway appreciated

EDIT: Also "move the turn countdown backward by x turn" can create a game mechanic issue, what if it is turn 1, but the effect turn the count backward by 2 or more turns? What will happen? Turn 0? Turn -1?

Just now, HonokaMadolche said:

Isnt there a possibility to create stuff brings you faster to the 20 turns, like by last countdown?.....or the moths which become bigger and bigger after some turns?

Wdym? If Final Countdown/Evolution Moth/Virus Traps will benefit from this, then yes, as of Final Countdown, i think its not that problematic since, its hard to search, using left arm offering also kills your resources at hand

4 minutes ago, Erika Mishima said:

While the idea of reverse Virna sounds good, i am planning for the archetype to become "Virna hand looping and exodia win"), although i already make the Chronous Dragon, the Stopper as the time consuming card (reverse the turn count backwards until turn 1), anyway appreciated

the idea is to create a sort of anti-Chronous set of cards that can stop the countdown, so if you know your opponent is playing the archetype, you can side in some anti-Chronous cards. Also did you like the reverse-Gemini part?

To be honest, better than playing Final Countdown would probably be Mystic Mine alongside this to try and buy as many turns as posible (Virna new Mystic Mine wincon??). Either way, i smell shenanigans ahead and im all for it, lets gooo

In any case, dude, this archetype concept looks hella cool, thank you

Virna feels like a Final Countdown getting archetype support, not sure if I fancy that. With the cards so far since a handful more seem to be coming, looks like when this card is not rushing to get that 30-turn count for Virna, it wants to open a board with Drake and the Virna Synchro on board, which doesn't sound like much for nowadays' meta standards until one realizes the negation of Virna Synchro has no OPT clause whatsoever so with enough turn-shifting cards on hand it can negate multiple cards in a single turn. I find important to note that it cannot respond to the activation of a card/effect directly, thus it cannot disrupt cards like Normal Spells unless a turn-shifting effect is activated in response. That means you need to understand a bit about chain links and timings, and that sounds fun to me.
That aside, I half-wish all those effect that say "If the turn count is at X" said "if the turn count is at X or higher" instead for the effects to be more consistent to apply, but IDK if that could break a few things along the way..
In short, seems like a good start, and I'm concerned about the walling Final Countdown effect of Virna but, you know, it's nice until proven naughty.

23 hours ago, Yami Kiniko said:

the idea is to create a sort of anti-Chronous set of cards that can stop the countdown, so if you know your opponent is playing the archetype, you can side in some anti-Chronous cards. Also did you like the reverse-Gemini part?

But why? Making an anti specific (Chronous) cards, solely for a purpose of mirror duel where . . . this is custom archetype, you hardly have a mirror duel unless you played on a competitively custom format somewhere, and Chronous somehow topped? Or just playing casually and do a mirror duel with someone you know? I dont see the whole point here

As for reverse Gemini, i admire your creativity, but nonetheless, once again, it creates another ruling issue as of how it interacts with monster effect negation, since it is treated as Normal Monster, but can activate an effect? Cant really say i like the idea

21 hours ago, drowsyCoffee said:

To be honest, better than playing Final Countdown would probably be Mystic Mine alongside this to try and buy as many turns as posible (Virna new Mystic Mine wincon??). Either way, i smell shenanigans ahead and im all for it, lets gooo

In any case, dude, this archetype concept looks hella cool, thank you

Ah yes, everyones favorite hated field spell kek, havent tried, maaaybe works, maybe not, since the whole Chronous monster has a way to fill board presence, probably adding the non summon card + stall/stun cards

Thanks!

21 hours ago, Darj said:

Virna feels like a Final Countdown getting archetype support, not sure if I fancy that. With the cards so far since a handful more seem to be coming, looks like when this card is not rushing to get that 30-turn count for Virna, it wants to open a board with Drake and the Virna Synchro on board, which doesn't sound like much for nowadays' meta standards until one realizes the negation of Virna Synchro has no OPT clause whatsoever so with enough turn-shifting cards on hand it can negate multiple cards in a single turn. I find important to note that it cannot respond to the activation of a card/effect directly, thus it cannot disrupt cards like Normal Spells unless a turn-shifting effect is activated in response. That means you need to understand a bit about chain links and timings, and that sounds fun to me.
That aside, I half-wish all those effect that say "If the turn count is at X" said "if the turn count is at X or higher" instead for the effects to be more consistent to apply, but IDK if that could break a few things along the way..
In short, seems like a good start, and I'm concerned about the walling Final Countdown effect of Virna but, you know, it's nice until proven naughty.

The reply i was waiting for lol

Yeah Drake basically your generic way to big free body and control the gamestate so that opponent at least getting 1 stun + GY set up from deck, at least halting them for combo wombo, Virna the Keeper was designed based on Aromaseraphy Rosemary, it negates, but slowed down by a different chain link, making it with no opt so that at least it's not so underwhelming, like you said, as long as you know timing and how chain link works, this can be strong. "if the turn count is at X or higher". . . . . thats . . . what i am intended for, looks like i worded it wrongly and it becomes exact turn to summon/activate the effect 😅

As usual, thank you for the deep review Darj!

19 hours ago, ITSUKOSOADO said:

I would like to at least mention both my time sorcerers and time contest that was attempting to make use of this concept

Feel free to do anything, the mechanic itself already been part of YGO for long, i simply expand it further as a whole into archetype and hopefully broke it~

So yeah, i'm interested to see your take on this mechanic, how you implement the effect

EDIT:

> Fixed the Chronous Catty, Chronous Phoenix and Chronous Drake turn count to activate their effect/SS self by adding "or higher" on its text

> Added the effect of Chronous Prissy, Chronous Dragon and Chronous Timeworn

Damn, noticed I made an unusual amount of typos in my previous post xD but everything can be understood anyway.
New cards, let's see... Prissy looks ok, basically a GY retriever and another turn-shifting effect to throw in. Stopper is... strange, it straight goes against the win condition, but only gets good with the -15 turn effect and IDK if it's worth resetting the turn count when you are halfway to Virna's win condition. Also while it gets scary as a 3000/3000 stat beater with some protection, is not impervious to everything and some cards can still break it, namely Ruler no More and Forbidden Droplets, but commonly run when going 2nd for breaking boards.
And I don't fully get how the 2nd bullet point of Timeworn works, the text confuses me. Could you give me an example of how the turn reduction works? It looks that it for the discouting it "remembers" how many times the effect is used, and if so, the text is slightly off and AFAIK would be missing a word:

● Move the turn count forward by 1 turn, also during the End Phase, move the turn count backwards up to the number of the turn count moved forward by this card's effect -1.

I believe that single word is important because without it, it only counts the turn shift done by that same iteration or use of the effect, in which case is always 1. But that wording should take into account all other times the effect has be used. Actually, I think it would be more PSCT-friendly if you write instead:

● Move the turn count forward by 1 turn, also during the End Phase, move the turn count backwards up to the number of the turn count moved forward by this effect of "Chronous Timeworn" -1.

AFAIK this would also take into account turn shifts done by that same effect from other copies of the card.

8 hours ago, Kanashimi said:

Feel free to do anything, the mechanic itself already been part of YGO for long, i simply expand it further as a whole into archetype and hopefully broke it~

So yeah, i'm interested to see your take on this mechanic, how you implement the effect

Is that permission to link my old archetype here, or would you rather me DM it to you or repost?

9 hours ago, Darj said:

Damn, noticed I made an unusual amount of typos in my previous post xD but everything can be understood anyway.
New cards, let's see... Prissy looks ok, basically a GY retriever and another turn-shifting effect to throw in. Stopper is... strange, it straight goes against the win condition, but only gets good with the -15 turn effect and IDK if it's worth resetting the turn count when you are halfway to Virna's win condition. Also while it gets scary as a 3000/3000 stat beater with some protection, is not impervious to everything and some cards can still break it, namely Ruler no More and Forbidden Droplets, but commonly run when going 2nd for breaking boards.
And I don't fully get how the 2nd bullet point of Timeworn works, the text confuses me. Could you give me an example of how the turn reduction works? It looks that it for the discouting it "remembers" how many times the effect is used, and if so, the text is slightly off and AFAIK would be missing a word:

● Move the turn count forward by 1 turn, also during the End Phase, move the turn count backwards up to the number of the turn count moved forward by this card's effect -1.

I believe that single word is important because without it, it only counts the turn shift done by that same iteration or use of the effect, in which case is always 1. But that wording should take into account all other times the effect has be used. Actually, I think it would be more PSCT-friendly if you write instead:

AFAIK this would also take into account turn shifts done by that same effect from other copies of the card.

Dragon the Stopper was meant for "emergency play" if the count haven't reach 30 yet, but you got pressured by the opponent/or close to losing, by resetting the time and survive. Yeah it has small window of being countered by certain cards you mentioned to avoid brokeness (Kaiju-ish Tribute can break too)

2nd effect of TImeworn basically free turn forward for Virna the Keeper to procs during opponent's turn, and yes, it turns back at the EP, -1, means say, if you moved the turn count forward by 5 turns with the effect of Timeworn, during EP, it goes backwards by 4 (hence -1), even so the -1 net you with 1 turn move still

"● Move the turn count forward by 1 turn, also during the End Phase, move the turn count backwards up to the number of the turn count moved forward by this effect of "Chronous Timeworn" -1." This wording is actually more correct 🙈 More specified to Timeworn, which is the intention . . . will change to that

Thanks Darj!

5 hours ago, ITSUKOSOADO said:

Is that permission to link my old archetype here, or would you rather me DM it to you or repost?

You don't need to credit, DM me, or link it here, feel free to use the turn count shenanigans, like i said it is not new things i just made, but rather a mechanic the konami already had but not yet expanded further

Updated*

> Fixed the Chronous Timeworn text, so now it is specified into Timeworn only for the backwards turn (thx to Darj)

> After a few test duels (using only 30 cards deck, since its unfinished), in a single turn uninterrupted, can gain 8-12 turns, which is scarily strong, so i decided to nerf both VIrna and the Synchro so they only move 1 turn instead of 2.

> Changing Saniya effect a bit, now it can send "card" instead of just "monster".

> Changing the Dragon effect, since it has shuffle effect before damage calc, the ATK gain is kind of useless, so removing ATK gain and move the rest of the effects up with the last effect being "Draw 3 cards".

> Added the effect of Chronous Time Shield.

13 hours ago, Darj said:

A nitpick here, but IMO the dragon could be named "the Resetter" due to how it resets the turn count, and the title of "the Stopper" could be reserved for another monster, possibly one that locks the turn count.

Done!

Also side infos, the update probs late due to me kind of busy with rl stuff, sowwy.

Updated*

> Added additional line to Virna the Maiden "If you activate this effect, you cannot win the Duel by cards or effects, except by the effect of "Chronous Virna, the Maiden".", for obvious reason Final Countdown exist.

> Added another line to Virna the Keeper "You can only control 1 "Chronous Virna, the Keeper"."

> Added the effects of Elysium and Paradox.

> Now available fully at DB! Feel free to use it! https://www.duelingbook.com/deck?id=9246401

> I think i also broke this up 😅 (be sure to fast forward, because the combo might get too long to watch) https://www.duelingbook.com/replay?id=348556-32828777

• 3 months later...

A couple o' questions emerge for this wonderful archetype of yours, Kana -

1) The Resetter Synchro - where does it shuffle the cards into for its first bullet-point effect? I assume the Deck, but you know what they say about assumptions.

2) The Field Spell - I'm a bit confused as to how the otherwise effect works. Is it something that only goes off if the turn count was already moved back beyond where it was by Chronous Elysium? Or does it go off if you choose not to move the turn count forward at all? It... seems a bit vague in that regard.

3) Virna the Keeper - how did you manage to find so many cute effects for such a wonderful Gear Chronicle girl? I simply must know.

-----------------------------------------------

All in all though, this set looks really well-put-together. I'll give a deeper review of this and your latest archetype later but suffice to say, being able to Special Summon based on the turn count is an amazing tool, and them not xenolocking you while the Summon from the hand basically in Level-sequential-order. I had anything I'd ever want to add (not that I like your Archetypes so much I make some in echoing respect of yours or anything! b-baka!) it'd probably be more effects that trigger on the turn count being moved,  even if it was something minuscule at first, that can build up over time. Like a small burn, or a banish from the top of a GY.

Fantastic archetype work, here. Hope to see more like it soon.

23 hours ago, Black D'Sceptyr said:

A couple o' questions emerge for this wonderful archetype of yours, Kana -

1) The Resetter Synchro - where does it shuffle the cards into for its first bullet-point effect? I assume the Deck, but you know what they say about assumptions.

2) The Field Spell - I'm a bit confused as to how the otherwise effect works. Is it something that only goes off if the turn count was already moved back beyond where it was by Chronous Elysium? Or does it go off if you choose not to move the turn count forward at all? It... seems a bit vague in that regard.

3) Virna the Keeper - how did you manage to find so many cute effects for such a wonderful Gear Chronicle girl? I simply must know.

-----------------------------------------------

All in all though, this set looks really well-put-together. I'll give a deeper review of this and your latest archetype later but suffice to say, being able to Special Summon based on the turn count is an amazing tool, and them not xenolocking you while the Summon from the hand basically in Level-sequential-order. I had anything I'd ever want to add (not that I like your Archetypes so much I make some in echoing respect of yours or anything! b-baka!) it'd probably be more effects that trigger on the turn count being moved,  even if it was something minuscule at first, that can build up over time. Like a small burn, or a banish from the top of a GY.

Fantastic archetype work, here. Hope to see more like it soon.

Perhaps you've forgotten, but if a Custom Cards thread is a month or older...don't touch it. Give it a Like and move on. Else, you are necrobumping.

Archived