:: Roleplay Section Improvements Discussion ::

It's obviously you wrote that' date=' [b']we should force the moderators[/b] to put in the rules that each and everything included in a aplication should be 3 or more sentences.

I lol'd, big time.

Basically, I rarely join RPs here because I know that most of them are going to end up (if they don't even start up) as spam-filled trash threads. Basically, an RP needs three things:

• A Plot
  • A Character Development System
  • A Character Interaction System

Without all three of those, an RP isn't an RP. However, most RPs I see focus on one single thing, and that is fighting. An RP can't function on that alone, there needs to be a consistent plot that guides the storyline and some degree of freedom for characters to maneouver around. So basically, a good RP needs a good RP creator, which does not equate a good RPer, and there are only a handful of those around, if that.

To go on, most people who join RPs do so with half-assed character sheets and no real desire to RP with others, just wanting to get a few posts of their characters doing something heroic and epic. That's not how an RP functions - if you want to create a character and godmod him, go write a fanfic (it will be a bad fanfic, but at least it won't bother others who want to RP properly). One-liner posters and people who can't spell or structure their sentences properly are a mere nuisance compared to those who godmod or take control of other characters without appropriate permission. Also, another reason many RPs fail is because of the large degree of freedom given by the creator, which happens solely because said creator is too bored to create a proper system and just lets everyone do whatever they want.

Again, after an RP has been properly designed, and I can't emphasize enough on that, it needs three things:

• A Game Master willing to involve himself and steer the RP
  • Members who actually want to adhere to the rules of the RP for their and others' enjoyment, instead of doing what they want
  • An ongoing plot to maintain interest

Notice how the plot is here, too? Good. By "plot", I don't mean "bunch of people trapped in alien planet, go kill kill kill aliens and survive!". Your RP doesn't have to be the next Lord of the Rings or World of Warcraft, but it can easily be decent without you having to spend too much time on it. An RP where members can contribute to and steer the plot is a good RP, an RP where everyone can control the plot by doing as he wishes is a bad RP.

I wrote this because I've seen too many people believe that three lines of ripped-off backstory and some copy-pasted character sheet with a few "cool" additions can make an RP. When an RP thread degenerates into trash, it's usually the creator's own fault. Usually.

Now, I've seen very few members here who are actually capable of RPing to a relatively good degree and maintain a proper adherence to some basic rules, so as not to ruin a well-designed RP. But everyone can have fun if they try - RPing shouldn't be an elitistic priviledge, rather, a fun option for everyone. And for those who can't tolerate the 'noobs', there are always private RPs for them.

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

umm no, Games master really said that. In fact here's the post. I may have re worded it a little, but it was his concept.

http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/thread-94056-post-1596115.html#pid1596115

lol' date=' that's a long bio, thought we weren't allowed to make such a big one :P

[/quote']

NOTE: THE BIO SHOULD BE TWO PARAGRAPHS LONG' date=' NOT TWO SENTENCES.[/b']

You aren't allowed to make one any shorter.

@Wuja: Accepted. And it's not just 'these days;' any RPer worth their salt shoots for three paragraphs.

Minimum post-length requirement in all RP posts. At least 6 lines; I know that this can be implemented. Believe me, on the RP-specific sites I go on, you are expected at least 3 paragraphs. If you can't manage at least a quarter of that, go back to English class and start learning up about crafting an enjoyable piece of writing.

EDIT:

We need a ranking system for RPers.

I want to be able to tell the skill level of the people I'm roleplaying with.

YES. Make an application thread. The mods will review the skills of an individual member, and rank them. Or, they could pop into a thread randomly and grade them there; people will have to keep their post quality up then.

What you people don't see is that for every kind of roleplayer, there is a kind of roleplay. YCM isn't a role-playing site, and will never be, so having a ranking system in the first place is of little use. And if you don't want to play with bad roleplayers, you should be able to tell them from good ones when they apply. And if a good role-player turns bad, then you can simply kick them. If you can't tell a person's "skill level" from their application, then ask them to elaborate on it. It's not harder than that.

How about we have a mini YCM RPing awards, sort of like a warm up for the people of YCM who are waiting for the YCM awards, it would be fun, catigories are as followed:

Best Male RPer

Best Male RPer

Best Female RPer

Best Female RPer

Best RPer Creator

Best RPer Creator

RPing Legend

RPing Legend

Four simple catigories which won't take a minute to fill out

Seems like a good idea.

But I do believe that there should be a ranking system.

The best RPers on YCM would be given the task of evaluating the other RPers, and ranking them.

They would be added to a list on a stickied thread in the RP section.

Members would still be allowed to join any RP they want, but if they are unsure about the skill of the members or maker, they could look at the list.

It doesn't create a class system, it merely allows people to better understand beforehand the skill level of the people they are dealing with.

Seems like a good idea.

But I do believe that there should be a ranking system.

The best RPers on YCM would be given the task of evaluating the other RPers' date=' and ranking them.

They would be added to a list on a stickied thread in the RP section.

Members would still be allowed to join any RP they want, but if they are unsure about the skill of the members or maker, they could look at the list.

It doesn't create a class system, it merely allows people to better understand beforehand the skill level of the people they are dealing with.

[/quote']

Q4E.

It's also completely unnecessary. YCM's roleplaying is FOR EVERYONE, and if we start putting numbers on EVERYONE, then:

1. We will have a lot of work to do.

2. We will divide members based on what a few people think of them. Yes, that is a class system. Besides, how many ranks would such a system have? Ten? Fifteen? Over Ninethousand? Skill cannot be defined by a number alone.

tl;dr version: You want numbers? How about four, as in FOURCK YOU!

How about we have a mini YCM RPing awards' date=' sort of like a warm up for the people of YCM who are waiting for the YCM awards, it would be fun, catigories are as followed:

[center']Best Male RPer[/center]Best Male RPer

Best Female RPer

Best Female RPer

Best RPer Creator

Best RPer Creator

RPing Legend

RPing Legend

Four simple catigories which won't take a minute to fill out

Actually I felt three ranks were justified, maybe four.

Newbie/Beginner

Intermediate/Average

Advanced/Experienced

Also it's something people can work towards to being better, true that it's for everyone but if we offer a system to help them improve and make them better people is that not a good thing? Anyway putting my ideas aside what do YOU suggest then Nitton.

Archived