:: Roleplay Section Improvements Discussion ::

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Suggestion-

I don't know what' date=' but something should be done about the rate in which RP's are posted in, in this forum. I'm not saying it's entirely bad, but when a newer Roleplay is created, if not many people sign up to it within like an hour, it moves to the bottom of the page, and sometimes the second page. That's kind of ridiculous isn't it? Every RP deserves a chance to at least start up. And I know some of you may say 'Well, if that RP isn't that popular, then just let it die' But, if it doesn't get a chance because its moved to another page in less than 24 hours doesn't mean it shouldn't get a chance.

My solution is rather large, and would probably looked down upon by a lot of you, as getting this accomplished would take a miracle. I believe their should be a sub-section somewhere, where Sign-Up threads could be created. Even a Sticky in this section would suffice. But it's pretty much all up to how much you all would want to fix this situation.

Seems like a good idea.

But I do believe that there should be a ranking system.

The best RPers on YCM would be given the task of evaluating the other RPers' date=' and ranking them.

They would be added to a list on a stickied thread in the RP section.

Members would still be allowed to join any RP they want, but if they are unsure about the skill of the members or maker, they could look at the list.

It doesn't create a class system, it merely allows people to better understand beforehand the skill level of the people they are dealing with.

[/quote']

Q4E.

I agree with the above suggestions.

I agree that some system of rankage should be implemented to seperate the classes of roleplayers in this section; but maybe not necessarily in standard groups like 'Beginner' , 'Intermediate' , or 'Advanced'. Like Dealer Umbra explained, one member may have a different RP style to other members, which would kind of scramble the process of putting them together in those main groups. Maybe a different form of classification? Maybe, members can be classified as in their experience in roleplaying on this forum; eg. their history in rolepaying on this forum alone. And classified by their qualifications; like what qualities they have when roleplaying, such as in terms of Plot, Character Development, Grammar, other? What i'm trying to say, is rather than putting each member into a group of skill level, why not make a thread where members can Submit Information of themselves on their style of RPing and BG info on their experience of RPing in the past both on and off this site. That way when people want to find other roleplayers with skills and qualities such as themselves, they can look in the said thread (And maybe somewhere next to that persons RP Info, a set of links can be placed, links that member suggests as good RP's. So, people looking in that thread, at some members information who they find in similiar terms in roleplaying to them, can find other RP's that would interest them.

Damn you' date=' Traveler, now your long post will make mine feel short. D:

For some reason, roleplay competitions feel like a good idea. However, I don't know how to expand on that. Any ideas?

[/quote']

Maybe a council of Expert RPers or something can be assembled, and host a competition where users can sign up. I don't know if you mean Roleplaying in general or Hosting and developing a well thought out RP. But, I have suggestions for both?

For Hosting a Roleplay, users could develop a well-thought out plot, and organize their very own roleplay where they must both engage in an exceptional to the topic Roleplay and organize and mantain the order of the characters participating.

As for roleplaying in general, a series of roleplaying scenarios can be set-up by the council of RP Experts, where the entrants into the competition could begin and engage in actual rping, while the 'council' observe each entrants post. They can grade upon Plot Development, Character Development and Progression, Grammar, and other related Role Play Attributes.

I happen to prefer the latter of options, but hey those are my 2 cents.

My Suggestions.

Suggestion-

I don't know what' date=' but something should be done about the rate in which RP's are posted in, in this forum. I'm not saying it's entirely bad, but when a newer Roleplay is created, if not many people sign up to it within like an hour, it moves to the bottom of the page, and sometimes the second page. That's kind of ridiculous isn't it? Every RP deserves a chance to at least start up. And I know some of you may say 'Well, if that RP isn't that popular, then just let it die' But, if it doesn't get a chance because its moved to another page in less than 24 hours doesn't mean it shouldn't get a chance.

My solution is rather large, and would probably looked down upon by a lot of you, as getting this accomplished would take a miracle. I believe their should be a sub-section somewhere, where Sign-Up threads could be created. Even a Sticky in this section would suffice. But it's pretty much all up to how much you all would want to fix this situation.

Seems like a good idea.

But I do believe that there should be a ranking system.

The best RPers on YCM would be given the task of evaluating the other RPers' date=' and ranking them.

They would be added to a list on a stickied thread in the RP section.

Members would still be allowed to join any RP they want, but if they are unsure about the skill of the members or maker, they could look at the list.

It doesn't create a class system, it merely allows people to better understand beforehand the skill level of the people they are dealing with.

[/quote']

Q4E.

I agree with the above suggestions.

I agree that some system of rankage should be implemented to seperate the classes of roleplayers in this section; but maybe not necessarily in standard groups like 'Beginner' , 'Intermediate' , or 'Advanced'. Like Dealer Umbra explained, one member may have a different RP style to other members, which would kind of scramble the process of putting them together in those main groups. Maybe a different form of classification? Maybe, members can be classified as in their experience in roleplaying on this forum; eg. their history in rolepaying on this forum alone. And classified by their qualifications; like what qualities they have when roleplaying, such as in terms of Plot, Character Development, Grammar, other? What i'm trying to say, is rather than putting each member into a group of skill level, why not make a thread where members can Submit Information of themselves on their style of RPing and BG info on their experience of RPing in the past both on and off this site. That way when people want to find other roleplayers with skills and qualities such as themselves, they can look in the said thread (And maybe somewhere next to that persons RP Info, a set of links can be placed, links that member suggests as good RP's. So, people looking in that thread, at some members information who they find in similiar terms in roleplaying to them, can find other RP's that would interest them.

This.

• 2 weeks later...

This is more of a forum event, but it would be nice if the Moderators of this section, or if not then a select few RPer's here, could organize a Section Roleplay. The Mods or Rpers can devise a series, which would continue so as to keep Roleplayers at this forum interested. We can also practice Advanced Roleplaying (as seen in the Advanced Roleplaying Clause in the rules) and show the members who regularily post here how to Roleplay more professionally.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

I quit.

I just got back from a visit to San Fransisco to find out that thr Role-Playing forum has radically changed in my absence.

I don't agree with these rules at all, and I am quitting this forum altogether.

Period.

So thank you Dealer Umbra.

Thank you for ruining my experience here.

Goodbye.

I quit.

I just got back from a visit to San Fransisco to find out that thr Role-Playing forum has radically changed in my absence.

I don't agree with these rules at all' date=' and I am quitting this forum altogether.

Period.

Goodbye.

[/quote']

You see, this is another reason why the Advanced Clause can go suck balls.

It's making us lose our members. -.-

Only because you guys prefer complaining like there's no tomorrow rather than actually improving. You can't seem to comprehend that that's what this is supposed to be about; everyone improving how they roleplay.

What you don't get is that they take this seriously and personally, they find it unfair that they have to write the way others want.

I have always written like the Advanced Clause said I should, but I still say "let them write the way they want" because some people don't want to write like that.

I quit.

I don't agree with these rules at all' date=' and I am quitting this forum altogether.

Period.

Goodbye.

[/quote']

I lol'd. You realize that it was ME who implemented them, and secondly the rules were ignored so NOTHING HAS CHANGED. But if you want to whine like a little baby then it's not like anybody will beg you to come back because you wanted to be a child.

I think the easiest solution is just to have two sub-forums, for roleplays, and advanced roleplays. Everyone can post in roleplays from day one of joining, but are forbidden from posting in advanced roleplays. People can apply for advanced roleplays (a way I can think of is giving them a situation and a character, and asking them how to write about how the character would respond to that situation), and if their application is judged to be of sufficient quality, they can go into the Advanced Section.

That way, people with little skill can enjoy basic RPing, but if they want to play with the big boys, they have to up their game, and it means the big boys don't have to play with the little kiddies, and can enjoy higher quality RPs amongst themselves. Everyone is happy.

I already suggested that to Umby Piers, after debating what could come from it we both sorta figured that it would lead to more arguing which is easily a thing that the section doesn't need at the moment. I do believe however that if it comes to it that post count getting turned off for the section might be a good thing at this point because of the massive amount of off topic posting that went down in the stickies (that are now locked) or that thoses stickies get cleaned up of the off topic posts.

-Shadius-

This was somewhat where the ranking idea came into principle. But what's to stop a non-Advanced posting there?

Banhammers.

On a more serious note, doesn't this forum have a permissions application? Ie, you can turn off posting in a particular forum for members unless they have permission to view and post in said forum? Because that would be mighty handy.

@ XxShadiuxS: I can't see that much arguing. There isn't much to argue about, aside from whether your application was rejected or not, and seeing as you could get a "counsel" of some sort to look at it, there wouldn't be any bias, so I doubt you could sensibly argue. Most sites I know with large RP sections use that format. Plus, there's always the old "argue with a mod, get banned" thing.

And yes, why hasn't +post count been turned off here yet? That should have been done a very long time ago, really.

I'd be on the side of turning post count off. It will not harm any RP in anyway. Anyone who honestly RPs less or quits because of that is just here to get posts, aka, spam.

Why not just put {B} at the end of a topic title, like the PG-13/16 Stickers? {B} for Basic RPs. It doesn't require a useless sub-forum and people can make RPs that anyone, regardless of post quality, can join, while the Advanced Clause stays in effect for all RPs that don't add the {B} to the title. It seems the easiest and cleanest compromise, 3 characters in a topic title and no more need be said or done while both sides can be pleased, Advanced Clause stays and learning RPers or RPers who don't wish to follow a more advanced writing style can maintain their topics. This would be best done with turning post count off as that would stop any complains about people taking advantage of {B} RPs for post count.

This may be a bit irrational, but how about this layout?

• Advanced Roleplay

* Applications

* Out of Character

• Standard Roleplay

* Applications

* Out of Character

Advanced Roleplay and Standard Roleplay will retain post count, but the Applications and Out of Character sections will not. The layout can be changed however you see fit, but I think there should be at least those four different types of sections. Of course, due to the nature of this, we may have to devote an entire forum to Roleplay, leaving Fanfic without a sub-section.

This may be a bit irrational' date=' but how about this layout?

• Advanced Roleplay

* Applications

* Out of Character

• Standard Roleplay

* Applications

* Out of Character

Advanced Roleplay and Standard Roleplay will retain post count, but the Applications and Out of Character sections will not. The layout can be changed however you see fit, but I think there should be at least those four different types of sections. Of course, due to the nature of this, we may have to devote an entire forum to Roleplay, leaving Fanfic without a sub-section.

[/quote']

this is what needs to be done

Archived