:: Roleplay Section Improvements Discussion ::

I dint think a separate sign-up AND discussion thread would be necessary. That would make too much clutter on the forum, although it does reduce clutter in the RP thread itself. I would say combine the two and have the other thread purely for the RP. Other than that, the updated rules look solid :D

• Replies 754
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also it's something people can work towards to being better' date=' true that it's for everyone but if we offer a system to help them improve and make them better people is that not a good thing?

[/quote']

Here we go again, the idea of longer posts with heavier descriptions being "better". In Fanfics, I would say "Yes" without a doubt, but in Role Play I would say "Not necessarily" since everyone roleplays differently. There's no single definition of "good" Role Playing that can be applied. There's "playable", no Godmoding and so forth, there's "descriptive", the six-novel-per-post that all of you seem to have as a minimum requirement, and there's a bunch of other things, but there's no such thing as a "good" role play by definition.

Role Playing is after all, really meant for fun. As long as all of the Players have fun, the question whether they should all write like they were all meant to be authors one day seems very irrelevant. What we consider "good" or even "acceptable" is as pointless to that fact as an ant's fart to space. The Rules we have is merely a tool to make it possible for the Role Players to have as much fun as possible while they Roleplay - not to make the novelists pleased. We're looking to enhance the general feeling here, not suppress the proles while we keep the Inner Party pleased. (Pardon the reference, it was an awesome novel tbqh.)

I'm not saying good in that sense, when I say good I mean at least write more than 4 words type of thing, I mean not being funny but what can you learn from something like this?

"Jaden raises duel disk

Lets Duel"

Rather than something like this.

"Jaden entered the damp and cold cave that sent shivers down his spine as he looked about himself, suddenly a bright light appeared and there he came face to face with a darkened figure, realizing this to be an opponent Jaden grinned as he rose his arm up.

I don't know who you are, but you don't seem friendly so lets duel!"

I would like to make a suggestion for yet another rule. I think that the hosts of Roleplays should not be able to say, "First three people to join get a rep," because people could basically just join to get them and then never post again, leaving the Roleplay useless. I would compare it to bribing.

Bribing:

Roleplay Hosts may not advertise their Roleplays by means of bribing. This includes paying reputations, points, or other things to roleplayers for joining their Roleplays. Signatures may be used to advertise your Roleplay instead.

All you have to do is look at the title of the roleplays and you'll see something like: First three to join recieve a rep!, or something like that.

Wait Time and Minimum Limit:

A roleplay which is created have a four day limit to get at least three more roleplayers to join their roleplay. A roleplay must wait until after the four day limit to begin, and people wishing to join may contact the host via private message to join. Also, it is advised that a roleplay has at least three active members during the course of however long the roleplay will last.

Once again' date=' here is another suggestion: I noticed that many roleplays do not have applicants for days and days, and other roleplays start, ending up with only two roleplayers. Maybe there should be a rule to fix that.

[/quote']

Why fix what is not broken? If people don't join, then the RP isn't that interesting anyway. The rule you suggest is completely unnecessary.

• 3 weeks later...

Inactive role-plays of three days or more should be locked or move ot separate section.

Like a Finished Roleplays Section? It could work.

Make me a mod.

The fact that you said that' date=' joke or not, totally messed up your chances.

Maybe some improvement section or something? RP School?

That's been suggested many times before, and such a section has never materialized.

Also' date=' you might want to section out seperate Roleplay types, like in CC..."Traditional", "Pop Culture" and "Any Other" come to mind.

[/quote']

Explain the point of this. If we're going to base it off of CC types, let's look at CC itself.

Realistic - I'm guessing this would be your "Traditional". These types are not as common as Pop Culture, believe me.

Pop Culture - Almost every Roleplay in this section is Pop Culture.

Any Other - Exactly how would a Roleplay not count as "Realistic/Traditional" or "Pop Culture"?

The other two sections are too obviously pointless to even discuss.

The first bit was a joke - nonetheless, I'd never be selected for a mod anyhow.

If it's never materialized, people should work on materializing it. Most people want the same idea - they've just gotta get off their asses and do it. The third suggestion, however, I can see what you're saying.

Inactive role-plays of three days or more should be locked or move ot separate section.

[justify]If you want a thread to be locked' date=' report it. It might be hard to believe, but there is a higher number of active roleplayers on this site than there are Moderators who can lock things in here. The eyes of the community see more than their leaders.[/justify']

And a separate section is out of the question.

The best teachers on Roleplaying are not those who repeatedly hammer in "Make interesting characters", "Use proper spelling and grammar", "Make longer posts", etc. It's those that show the others what they can do. Roleplays that aren't designed to make their participants better, but still do.

And, once again, a separate section is out of the question.

• 1 month later...

Suggestion-

I don't know what, but something should be done about the rate in which RP's are posted in, in this forum. I'm not saying it's entirely bad, but when a newer Roleplay is created, if not many people sign up to it within like an hour, it moves to the bottom of the page, and sometimes the second page. That's kind of ridiculous isn't it? Every RP deserves a chance to at least start up. And I know some of you may say 'Well, if that RP isn't that popular, then just let it die' But, if it doesn't get a chance because its moved to another page in less than 24 hours doesn't mean it shouldn't get a chance.

My solution is rather large, and would probably looked down upon by a lot of you, as getting this accomplished would take a miracle. I believe their should be a sub-section somewhere, where Sign-Up threads could be created. Even a Sticky in this section would suffice. But it's pretty much all up to how much you all would want to fix this situation.

Seems like a good idea.

But I do believe that there should be a ranking system.

The best RPers on YCM would be given the task of evaluating the other RPers' date=' and ranking them.

They would be added to a list on a stickied thread in the RP section.

Members would still be allowed to join any RP they want, but if they are unsure about the skill of the members or maker, they could look at the list.

It doesn't create a class system, it merely allows people to better understand beforehand the skill level of the people they are dealing with.

[/quote']

Q4E.

I agree with the above suggestions.

I agree that some system of rankage should be implemented to seperate the classes of roleplayers in this section; but maybe not necessarily in standard groups like 'Beginner' , 'Intermediate' , or 'Advanced'. Like Dealer Umbra explained, one member may have a different RP style to other members, which would kind of scramble the process of putting them together in those main groups. Maybe a different form of classification? Maybe, members can be classified as in their experience in roleplaying on this forum; eg. their history in rolepaying on this forum alone. And classified by their qualifications; like what qualities they have when roleplaying, such as in terms of Plot, Character Development, Grammar, other? What i'm trying to say, is rather than putting each member into a group of skill level, why not make a thread where members can Submit Information of themselves on their style of RPing and BG info on their experience of RPing in the past both on and off this site. That way when people want to find other roleplayers with skills and qualities such as themselves, they can look in the said thread (And maybe somewhere next to that persons RP Info, a set of links can be placed, links that member suggests as good RP's. So, people looking in that thread, at some members information who they find in similiar terms in roleplaying to them, can find other RP's that would interest them.

Damn you' date=' Traveler, now your long post will make mine feel short. D:

For some reason, roleplay competitions feel like a good idea. However, I don't know how to expand on that. Any ideas?

[/quote']

Maybe a council of Expert RPers or something can be assembled, and host a competition where users can sign up. I don't know if you mean Roleplaying in general or Hosting and developing a well thought out RP. But, I have suggestions for both?

For Hosting a Roleplay, users could develop a well-thought out plot, and organize their very own roleplay where they must both engage in an exceptional to the topic Roleplay and organize and mantain the order of the characters participating.

As for roleplaying in general, a series of roleplaying scenarios can be set-up by the council of RP Experts, where the entrants into the competition could begin and engage in actual rping, while the 'council' observe each entrants post. They can grade upon Plot Development, Character Development and Progression, Grammar, and other related Role Play Attributes.

I happen to prefer the latter of options, but hey those are my 2 cents.

Archived