Super Showdown Society (closed)

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-725272779

And thus it is over! My reign of terror can begin anew!!!

First Place: God Emperor Cow

Second Place: Mr Spaz

Third Place: Azure Wolf

However since I am a mod and points are uh...not necessary. The first place prize will go to Spaz and the second place to Rep!

I'll update the OP with the 2018 records.

Alsoooooo....Since this one did so well thinking of doing another tournament soon. I already know what it'll be and it'll be a bit risky to say the least but I think it's only right to do it at least once.

If anyone has any objections to starting a new tournament probably after Easter let me know. I don't want to go too fast but I'm sorta excited how this one turned out.

So this time there will be TWO tournaments going on. The reason why is the first is uh...you'll see.

[spoiler=Great Mew Off 2][spoiler=Rules]1.) Custom Game Three Mew. Only Metronome for moves, using the Metronome item. Neutral Nature, 0 EVs, 31 IVs all. (tip: Fill all four move slots with Metronome. I THINK that works.)

2.) Tournament will be double elimination bracket tournament. And the matchups will be determined once the sign ups end.

3.) Victories in this won't count towards the Rankings

[spoiler=Points and Prizes]Tournament is free! Just say you want in in a post and you're in.
1st place-1500 points

2nd place-500 points

[spoiler=Participants]

1. God Emperor Cow

2. Alaina

3. Mr Spaz

4. Azure Wolf

5. Reptilious

6. Chaos Sonic

7. Yui

8. Octosquid

And then one where I don't know what the turn out will be.

[spoiler=Balanced Hackmons]https://www.smogon.com/dex/sm/formats/bh/

[spoiler=Rules]1. Follow the link above to see what is banned.
2.) Tournament will be double elimination bracket tournament. And the matchups will be determined once the sign ups end.
3.) You are allowed any number of team changes in between rounds.

[spoiler=Points]Entry fee is 200 points, to be sent to me upon sign-up. Please still post in thread if you want in, too. I'll start the pot at 2000 points.

[spoiler=Prizes]1st Place: 60% of Pot

2nd Place: 30% of Pot

2rd Place: 10% of Pot

[spoiler=Current Pot]4000 Points

[spoiler=Participants]1. God Emperor Cow

2. Azure Wolf

3. Reptilious

4. Kill Son Goku

5. I S S A C

I...don't know much about the tier tbh so...

@ if you could give any general information we should know or have any suggestions, beyond what you've already said in this thread, please say so.

How funny, I haven't played Pokemon Showdown in ages.

Well I doubt the meta has changed much but basically in Balanced Hackmons you can do anything with your team. You can use Fur Coat, Prankster, Poison Heal, Psychic Surge (rip), Illusion, Tough Claws, Aerilate, Pixilate, Refrigerate, etc. on any of your members, as well as Extreme Speed, V-create, Spore, Shell Smash, Shift Gear, Quiver Dance, Photon Geyser, Sunsteel Strike, Moongeist Beam, Nuzzle, Anchor Shot, Core Enforcer, and other moves in conjunction. This makes teambuilding extremely dynamic and creative, more than most other formats.

But before you try to use Focus Energy Super Luck Mega Salamence, you should know that some sets are just too bad to be used. There are standard sets for every Pokemon, and although they can be altered, it is never a poor idea to stick with the good stuff. Of course, using basic teams only lasts for the first part of the ladder, and all skillful players innovate.

Always Remember: Creative Does Not Mean Arbitrarily Different!

Yugioh is like this, but a bit more punishing of you. Balanced Hackmons has more leeway for what's viable and what's not, in my opinion. In order to determine whether or not your set is viable, you must weigh it up against regular sets.

For example, take these two: opens up showdown from the dead

Sh5kEi9.gif

Gengar-Mega @ Spooky Plate  
Ability: Normalize  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Entrainment  
- Judgment  
- Shell Smash  
- Boomburst  

Sh5kEi9.gif

Gengar-Mega @ Focus Sash  
Ability: Adaptability  
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Def / 252 SpA / 252 SpD / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Moongeist Beam  
- Shell Smash  
- Secret Sword  
- Spore  

As I continue to explain a few things, consider how these sets size up against the rest of the meta. 

ugh I have to remake all my teams cause they got deleted

[spoiler=S-Tiers]

5fYoqjz.gif

Mega Rayquaza has fantastic mixed attacking stats, decent bulk, good speed, and a competent dual STAB type that gives it an especially strong Oblivion Wing. Backed by Triage and Tail Glow, the recent ban of Psychic Surge can allow Mega Rayquaza to punch holes in an opponent's team with little effort. It can also use Aerilate effectively, especially using Choice Specs to lure Steel-Types that usually wall it into switching in. However, faster attackers that use Dazzling or Queenly Majesty could make quick work of Rayquaza if it does not have an increase to its speed. With that said, many different Rayquaza sets can see success if used properly due to its mixed stats.

daUBsiC.gif

Mega Mewtwo X has never been S-tier before, but this is a welcome change for it, even without Psychic Surge. Photon Geyser acts as an extremely strong physical STAB move that negates abilities and can potentially 2HKO certain dedicated physical walls with a Choice Band and enhancing ability. It should also be noted that very few Pokemon can properly switch into Mega Mewtwo X in this metagame; Mega Slowbro works, but most other bulky Psychic-Types are either too frail or have a poor, exploitable secondary typing. That said, enough team support can cause most standard setups to fall to Mega Mewtwo X—by itself, it has caused an insurgence of the ability Intimidate, viewed as much worse than Fur Coat.

LwWzMY1.gif

Mega Mewtwo Y seems to have been on S-rank since its inception, from Protean to Moody to Psychic Surge. Presently, it also has good abilities in Dazzling/Queenly Majesty, Magic Guard, Sheer Force, and Contrary, the latter of which could also abuse Psychic Terrain for an extremely strong Psycho Boost. It also can use Photon Geyser as a STAB move, eliminating the need for Moongeist Beam. This vast pool of abilities and options to choose from make Mega Mewtwo Y one of the best Special Attackers in the format. 

I'll elaborate when it's not past my bedtime

[spoiler=Great Mew Off 2][spoiler=Rules]1.) Anything Goes tier. Three Mew. Only Metronome for moves, using the Metronome item. Neutral Nature, 0 EVs, 31 IVs all. (tip: Fill all four move slots with Metronome. I THINK that works.)

3.) Victories in this won't count towards the Rankings

[spoiler=Points and Prizes]Tournament is free! Just say you want in in a post and you're in.

1st place-1500 points

2nd place-500 points

[spoiler=Participants]

1. God Emperor Cow

2. Alaina

3. Mr Spaz

4. Azure Wolf

5. Reptilious

A tournament where I can probably do something (as I have yet to learn how to balance hackmons)...I'm perfectly alright with this.

Sign me up, @@God Emperor Cow

I would like to point out that you probably can’t use 4 of the same moves in AG because it’s constrained to what’s achievable in-game, and you’re generally not allowed to learn a move more than once.

It could be done in BH though.

Just checked to be sure and you're right. But sadly Balanced Hackmons doesn't allow two of the same ability.

But

Custom Game works.

Maybe double post but important.

Turns out that if you run out of PP even with one Metronome if you have 4 then it doesn't work so uh

Let's do one Metronome so that you can at least Struggle.

Also fun fact Imprison OP.

Trying out Gen 5 Custom game since it said it was how the 3DS would respond. Will edit this with the result.

Turns out that it doesn't. So yeah, Custom Game, one Metronome each. Hope you win before you have to Struggle lol

Ummmm Balanced Hackmons allows up to 2 of the same ability.

Please don't cause people to think you can't have 2 Regenerators because that can be a pretty good core

Well there's three Mew. I COULD have people give them abilities that don't matter I suppose but idk about that.

Archived