Super Showdown Society (closed)

So here's a quick discussion topic I was thinking about.

Is there any Mon that you guys like using more than any other? Like one specific Pokemon you like having on your team.

For me it's definitely Lele, getting it in the position to sweep is so satisfying for me.

SnkLa2l.jpg

This thing is just a monster. In BH it can be Imposter or Fur Coat which are both really threatening to all teams, while in OU it walls almost every special attacker.

It’s just so aesthetically appealing and easy to use

Weirdly enough, I don’t actually have any unique Pokémon that I really value because my favorites are garbage and the good ones are forgettable sometimes.

I guess Mega Gyarados, Mega Garchomp, Mega Diancie, Mega Slowbro are some honorable mentions in BH because they all put in work

Also I love several Pokémon with all my heart but Pangoro and Magneton are very notable among them

388Grotle_DP_anime.png

I put it on OU/uber/AG teams it has no place on.

Idk why you like Grotle so much but I’ve seen you use it and I guess you have your reasons

• Replies 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there any Mon that you guys like using more than any other? Like one specific Pokemon you like having on your team.

For me it's definitely Lele, getting it in the position to sweep is so satisfying for me.

Back in the day it was Scizor and Garchomp. Zygrade seems to have replaced Garchomp for me, but I want to start using Garchomp again.

I think I've told you and Yui this, but it's gotta be Volcarona. I've gone so far as to include it in my rain team where it's decent (although far from the Pokemon that does the most work). Runner ups are Garchomp, Scizor, and recently Greninja.

I think I've told you and Yui this, but it's gotta be Volcarona. I've gone so far as to include it in my rain team where it's decent (although far from the Pokemon that does the most work). Runner ups are Garchomp, Scizor, and recently Greninja.

I remember that damn Hurricane

I haven't played for a while, but when I went for serious teams, with EVs and the like, Tangrowth was there. I was really glad when it reached the OU tier, and would like to build an effective core around it someday. I have not played Pokemon post-Gen 7 though, but I wouldn't take Tangrowth out anyway, especially now that it's OU.

So I'm enjoying Showdown a lot. I definitely have lots to learn about the meta but that comes with experience. I'm kinda happy I'm 15-5 so far on the ladder and three of those losses were because I don't have the time to play against stall cause like every game out there it's just a waste of time. 

Gimme some thoughts with my team. It works really well so far. I had HP Ground on Koko for other Kokos and Excadrill, but I just ran into a Gastrodon that almost walled me into submission so I put HP Grass on that funker.

Harlquin (Blacephalon) @ Choice Scarf  
Ability: Beast Boost  
Shiny: Yes  
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe  
Timid Nature  
- Fire Blast  
- Shadow Ball  
- Trick  
- Explosion  

Johnson (Tapu Koko) @ Choice Specs  
Ability: Electric Surge  
Timid Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Volt Switch  
- Dazzling Gleam  
- Thunderbolt  
- Hidden Power [Grass]  

Danny Devito (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers  
Ability: Intimidate  
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD  
Impish Nature  
- Stealth Rock  
- Earthquake  
- Hidden Power [ice]  
- U-turn  

Chompgar (Zygarde) @ Leftovers  
Ability: Aura Break  
EVs: 188 HP / 136 Atk / 184 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Substitute  
- Dragon Dance  
- Thousand Arrows  
- Protect  

Mugen (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite  
Ability: Technician  
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 SpD 
Impish Nature  
- Bullet Punch  
- Defog  
- Roost  
- U-turn  

Toxaflex (Toxapex) @ Black Sludge  
Ability: Regenerator  
EVs: 252 HP / 4 DEF / 252 SpD  
Calm Nature  
- Scald  
- Haze  
- Recover  
- Toxic Spikes  

I'll have to play around with EVs and calculate what I can switch into safely etc once I play around a little more.

So I'm enjoying Showdown a lot. I definitely have lots to learn about the meta but that comes with experience. I'm kinda happy I'm 15-5 so far on the ladder and three of those losses were because I don't have the time to play against stall cause like every game out there it's just a waste of time. 

Gimme some thoughts with my team. It works really well so far. I had HP Ground on Koko for other Kokos and Excadrill, but I just ran into a Gastrodon that almost walled me into submission so I put HP Grass on that funker.

Harlquin (Blacephalon) @ Choice Scarf  
Ability: Beast Boost  
Timid Nature  
- Fire Blast  
- Shadow Ball  
- Trick  
- Explosion  

Johnson (Tapu Koko) @ Choice Specs  
Ability: Electric Surge  
Timid Nature  
IVs: 0 Atk  
- Volt Switch  
- Dazzling Gleam  
- Thunderbolt  
- Hidden Power [Grass]  

Danny Devito (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers  
Ability: Intimidate  
EVs: 248 HP / 104 Def / 156 SpD  
Impish Nature  
- Stealth Rock  
- Earthquake  
- Hidden Power [ice]  
- U-turn  

Chompgar (Zygarde) @ Leftovers  
Ability: Aura Break  
EVs: 188 HP / 136 Atk / 184 Spe  
Adamant Nature  
- Substitute  
- Dragon Dance  
- Thousand Arrows  
- Protect  

Mugen (Scizor-Mega) @ Scizorite  
Ability: Technician  
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 124 SpD 
Impish Nature  
- Bullet Punch  
- Defog  
- Roost  
- U-turn  

Toxaflex (Toxapex) @ Black Sludge  
Ability: Regenerator  
EVs: 252 HP / 4 DEF / 252 SpD  
Calm Nature  
- Scald  
- Haze  
- Recover  
- Toxic Spikes  

I'll have to play around with EVs and calculate what I can switch into safely etc once I play around a little more.

15-5 could be better but idk OU so I would say if you've been on such a long hiatus you're probably on a good trajectory.

It looks like random goodstuffs but I can't immediately point out any holes. Maybe you're weak to Lando-T because Toxapex seems to be the hallmark of the defensive core with Mega Scizor and your own Landorus. 

Do you have a way to break Stall? It looks like between Scizor and Substitute Zygarde you have some breakers but idt Bullet Punch does much to Clefable unboosted, so a core like Chansey/Skarmory/Clefable could handle your offenses. Unaware Clefable also doesn't care about how much you Dragon Dance and can set up itself on Zygarde.

I'm not sure if Protect is completely necessary on Zygarde because it ends up food for Tangrowth especially. Toxic can at least deter hard walls from forcing it out especially after investing HP into substitute. It also doesn't look like you have anything dedicated to beating Tangrowth, except Hidden Power Ice if you need to. 

I think Landorus and Toxapex fill most of the holes I'm trying to poke. Just watch out for stall with stuff like Chansey, Skarmory, Clefable, Zapdos, Mega Sableye, Tangrowth, and the like, especially because Zapdos often uses Hidden Power Ice to beat Landorus. 

15-5 could be better but idk OU so I would say if you've been on such a long hiatus you're probably on a good trajectory.

It looks like random goodstuffs but I can't immediately point out any holes. Maybe you're weak to Lando-T because Toxapex seems to be the hallmark of the defensive core with Mega Scizor and your own Landorus. 

Do you have a way to break Stall? It looks like between Scizor and Substitute Zygarde you have some breakers but idt Bullet Punch does much to Clefable unboosted, so a core like Chansey/Skarmory/Clefable could handle your offenses. Unaware Clefable also doesn't care about how much you Dragon Dance and can set up itself on Zygarde.

I'm not sure if Protect is completely necessary on Zygarde because it ends up food for Tangrowth especially. Toxic can at least deter hard walls from forcing it out especially after investing HP into substitute. It also doesn't look like you have anything dedicated to beating Tangrowth, except Hidden Power Ice if you need to. 

I think Landorus and Toxapex fill most of the holes I'm trying to poke. Just watch out for stall with stuff like Chansey, Skarmory, Clefable, Zapdos, Mega Sableye, Tangrowth, and the like, especially because Zapdos often uses Hidden Power Ice to beat Landorus.

Tangrowth has never been an issue for be because I just lando and Scizor u turn funk slam it. Chansey is covered by trick on blacephalon and it's set up bait for Zygrade really, clefable is easy To play around I just can't set up on it with zygrade. Skarmory dies to Zygrade or Koko. I can actually set up on Mega Sable Eye with Zygrade as well.

I definitely prefer protect over toxic.b

Lord knows I love testing weird builds in doubles and playing random.

YCM username: Icy

Pokemon Showdown username: Ciercy or LanakilaConqueror (depends on the week and testing purposes)

Favorite tier: OU

Favorite type: Flying or Steel. Not Skarmory.

Lord knows I love testing weird builds in doubles and playing random.

YCM username: Icy

Pokemon Showdown username: Ciercy or LanakilaConqueror (depends on the week and testing purposes)

Favorite tier: OU

Favorite type: Flying or Steel. Not Skarmory.

Hi :3

Good thing I've started my OU team because there are an awful lot of people who want to play it

One of the things I've found that intrigues me:

fyH8PSh.png

Maybe I'm impartial towards Dragon/Ground Pokemon, or Pokemon with Dragon Dance, but it's just such a wincon. It can handle Celesteela with Substitute and puts so much pressure on your opponent to stop it from setting up. It can't particularly replace Lando in utility but I think it makes up for it just because your opponent has to either drop everything and stop it or try to revenge kill it while it's snowballing. This is why I hate Flygon in RU.

Here's some proof: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-707518248

Also, I've been thinking:

How do you guys look at Momentum in Pokemon? Momentum is essentially having the upper hand in the current game state, which you acquire from predictions and scouting, such as by using U-turn, Volt Switch, or Baton Pass. In Balanced Hackmons, momentum is the most important part of a battle, since walls usually have U-turn to safely switch in your attackers.

Do you focus on momentum when teambuilding? Why or why not?

I think Momentum exists only on a single Mon or reliable checks to go switch in > boost > swing > switch... Or something. Otherwise it's the regular game we know.

Though I'll usually have a team where 3 Pokemon or more compliment the others weaknesses.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7unratedrandombattle-707610549

Meloetta sweeping.

On the topic of favourite Pokémon to use, as I primarily play randoms I don't have one competitively, I do like using Serperior and Samurott. Leaf Storm Contrary was nice to use in a Blaze Black 2 play through, and I like Samurrot's design.

You might have already known this about me, but Vivillon and Swoobat

I will admit every game against you I've had after a while I've lead with something to beat these two.

You really love set-up mons lol

Also welcome aboard Icy!

As for momentum it's actually...the number one thing I try to do in battles. Even without Volt/Turn I always am trying to figure out when to switch to build momentum. imo it's the biggest reason I win, when I win, most of the time.

Lets see what are these clown's names right now....

@
@@Faytl
@

@@Yuhi

@@The Amazing Avian

https://challonge.com/f9c4xx04

Yeah still want to have this get to a finish. So I'm gonna try and get all of y'all in here and let it continue.

I kinda want to start a Monotype tournament since we've got fresh faces but I want to try and finish this before I even consider that.

I haven't messed with my Arceus much yet, but you SHOULD be able to use different plates to make it get both Draco Meteor and Sword Dance right?

...I'm not sure how it works now that I think about it. But I am pretty sure it can get those regardless of Plate. Though I wonder...why?

Cloyster is something you basically always have to hit right away whenever its on the field I've noticed.

Archived