Team Fortress 2

Bull3tM0nk3y

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To those still confused about Mann Up Mode, watch this video starting at 2:30 (the full explanation lasts until about 7 minutes in, since there is some rambling and repeating of points) and it get explained as clear as you can make it.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI3MjJ5AFtg&feature=g-u-u[/media]

It's also a good look at a full Mann Up match, so I suggest watching it fully if you like that sort of thing.

I simply can not get over how amazing this new game mode is. Everything still feels exactly the same, and yet everything feels completely new and different.

What I like best is how some items which were originally seen as crappy like the Beggar's Bazooka, Fan of War, and the Sydney Sleeper all see a new light in this game mode and are actually pretty helpful while other stuff that's more traditionally used for fighting humans like the Tomislav and Spycicle, all fall to the wayside.

The one big, big drawback is the server wait times. It's probably because this is a brand new game mode and the problem'll fix itself overtime but it's pretty damn difficult getting a game with a group of friends. Wait times of 20, 30 minutes were very common on the first day or so. I think the problem's kind of quieted down, or at least I haven't noticed it as much anymore since I just pick "join server" and type "mvm" for the map to find all servers running Mann versus Machines maps, instead of using the "Find a Game" feature and getting servers with passwords or "this server is running an older version of the game" or some jank.

tl;dr - It's hard to find an open server but if you do find one, you're in for a treat.

[quote name='Hatcher' timestamp='1345322095' post='6010270']
I simply can not get over how amazing this new game mode is. Everything still feels exactly the same, and yet everything feels completely new and different.

What I like best is how some items which were originally seen as crappy like the Beggar's Bazooka, Fan of War, and the Sydney Sleeper all see a new light in this game mode and are actually pretty helpful while other stuff that's more traditionally used for fighting humans like the Tomislav and Spycicle, all fall to the wayside.

The one big, big drawback is the server wait times. It's probably because this is a brand new game mode and the problem'll fix itself overtime but it's pretty damn difficult getting a game with a group of friends. Wait times of 20, 30 minutes were very common on the first day or so. I think the problem's kind of quieted down, or at least I haven't noticed it as much anymore since I just pick "join server" and type "mvm" for the map to find all servers running Mann versus Machines maps, instead of using the "Find a Game" feature and getting servers with passwords or "this server is running an older version of the game" or some jank.

tl;dr - It's hard to find an open server but if you do find one, you're in for a treat.
[/quote]
Yea, the wait time is a major pain. I was playing last night with the join game option and it still took 6 min to find an open game. It doesn't help that using the find server option I often can't join anything.

But yea, the mode is a ton a fun and I'm sure the finding of games will get better over time.

[quote name='Flame Dragon' timestamp='1345326113' post='6010316']
Yea, the wait time is a major pain. I was playing last night with the join game option and it still took 6 min to find an open game.
[/quote]
Six minutes!? On the first night it took about 45 minutes! DX

And the glitches... the glitches! e_e

The first time I played we had a glitch where after the bomb went off, the game didn't end. So we still had scouts running around and all that but nothing was happening, just a huge gap was there outside of our spawn. All the engineer sentry guns started shooting in the air 'cause they didn't know what was up either, and the game wouldn't end. No money was dropping either, in case you thought we used this time to make ourselves deities or something. I'm assuming this all got fixed last night, but this game mode was awful on it's first night. It's gotten so much better.

Scout's still the best IMO. After a few upgrades I got him to around 600 health, just running around and collecting money.

Also, put me on that "did not know I could upgrade the class" list. It wasn't until I read it here I knew I could get an even faster scout.

The glitch where the game wouldn't end even when the bomb blew up was a thing that happened if the server's time limit ran out or something.

One of my friend's servers I played on last night has a thing where you can change your model to that of a RED robot, and they look really nice now that I've gotten a good look without blowing them up. (Obviously there's not one for Engy.)

[quote name='Hatcher' timestamp='1345332569' post='6010390']
Six minutes!? On the first night it took about 45 minutes! DX

And the glitches... the glitches! e_e

The first time I played we had a glitch where after the bomb went off, the game didn't end. So we still had scouts running around and all that but nothing was happening, just a huge gap was there outside of our spawn. All the engineer sentry guns started shooting in the air 'cause they didn't know what was up either, and the game wouldn't end. No money was dropping either, in case you thought we used this time to make ourselves deities or something. I'm assuming this all got fixed last night, but this game mode was awful on it's first night. It's gotten so much better.

Scout's still the best IMO. After a few upgrades I got him to around 600 health, just running around and collecting money.

Also, put me on that "did not know I could upgrade the class" list. It wasn't until I read it here I knew I could get an even faster scout.
[/quote]
I think the fact that it was like 1 or 2 might have helped. When I first tried to play it was like a +20 min wait. My friend was trying to get on today and after waiting like 10 min got kicked as soon as he joined. Yea, that is fun.

Another glitch from last nights playing, we just got started on a new set of missions. timer hits zero and no bots. We waited like 2 min, reset the map and tried again. In the end we just changed maps, but yea, that was interesing.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm absolutely loving the new voice lines, and [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OmQ_eJ7NUkY"]Merasmus[/url] and the [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kbbObQFeIuY"]Bombinomicon[/url] are hilarious. (Making the Bombinomicon Hispanic was the greatest decision [i]ever[/i].)

Also:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPZxGM4pmqw&t=0m37s[/media]
(go to 0:36 in particular, but you should listen to it all)

Archived