Sword Art Online

Seen the 18 episodes that have been released so far and I have to admit that I am enjoying it; it is average though. I absolutely love the concept but I hate the pacing of it... it was set up perfectly so that our protagonist could have gone through a couple of levels an episode and have the end of the series as the premise of SAO, but instead we're already out of SAO and into another MMO (albeit linked) by episode 18. Not convinced that there has been any character development other than the time that our overpowered protagonist and Asuna spent away from the frontlines either which is disappointing. His sister/cousin's crush on him is creepy.

That doesn't mean to say that I'm going to stop watching it by any means though. :P

• Replies 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote name='Expelsword - 黎明' timestamp='1352216311' post='6062172']
I'm having trouble seeing how anyone in ALO except the very top players can even pose a threat to Level 90-something Kirito.
Isn't it suspicious to anyone that he joined 2 days ago and has endgame stats?
[/quote]

That's because Yui explains that ALO is basically a copy of SAO, and that Kirito's info was transferred over from there. I guess he was able to access it by using the name "Kirito" again.

And Kirito's going to have some issues in the coming episodes that make up for his high levels.

[quote name='Expelsword - 黎明' timestamp='1352216311' post='6062172']
I'm having trouble seeing how anyone in ALO except the very top players can even pose a threat to Level 90-something Kirito.
Isn't it suspicious to anyone that he joined 2 days ago and has endgame stats?
[/quote]
There are no levels in ALO, which also means there are no conventional stats. :/

[quote name='Expelsword - 黎明' timestamp='1352255815' post='6062768']
Kirito said that his ALO parameters looked like his SAO ones.
[/quote]
You have skill stats in ALO (night vision, one handed sword, ranged magic, throwing sword, ect). You don't have stats related to defense (based on armor alone in ALO instead), attack (based on weapon, attack placement, and speed of attack), health, and speed (based on athleticism and familiarity with FullDive).

SAO had personal stats and skill stats, but ALO only has skill stats. Also, since Kirito's parameters are close range, sword related, in a game with magic he is at a disadvantage. Though his power and having Leafa makes the difference.

Latest episode had the battle that I thought, and next episode should be the best fight in ALO. <3

[spoiler The Return of...(Spoilers for today's episode)]
THE GLEAM EYES
[spoiler animations/gifs]
[img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mda9w0f3q21ripz58o1_500.gif[/img]
[img]http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mda9w0f3q21ripz58o2_500.gif[/img]
[img]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mda9w0f3q21ripz58o3_500.gif[/img]
[img]http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mda9w0f3q21ripz58o4_500.gif[/img]
[/spoiler]
[/spoiler]

[quote name='Expelsword - 黎明' timestamp='1352581552' post='6065895']
Isn't that the same boss he killed with his Dual Blades?
[/quote]
[spoiler answer]iirc the magic he used takes its form from what the user is thinking of. So Kirito thought of the scariest monster he could.

I'll look for it in the LN[/spoiler]

Edit:[spoiler Found it in the LN]
[i]"Lyfa held her breath for a moment - then ground her teeth. The spell Kirito is casting is an illusion magic that makes a player look like a monster. But the magic is not useful in actual combat. Because the shape depends randomly on the player’s combat skills, usually the result is some weak monster, with no change in stats, since most people are aware of this it won’t frighten them."[/i]

So basically, what monster is equal to Kirito's combat skills? Answer: the one that he barely beat after it had to fight the Army.

At least that is how I make since of the obvious similarities. [/spoiler]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lkzMXiIcc0g

Well, that was really cool, but... Sword Art Offline! xD
The SAO specials, the first one is out, and it was funny all the way through.

EDIT:
[quote name='Legend Zero' timestamp='1352583102' post='6065916']
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lkzMXiIcc0g[/media]
[/quote]=O

<3

Well, I think that is because there are times in every anime where the main characters are not the attention of the episode(s). I'm glad it wouldn't be about just Kirito and Asuna anyway.

... But now it seems like Suguha is a main character with them. [url="http://myanimelist.net/anime/11757/Sword_Art_Online/characters"]http://myanimelist.n...line/characters[/url]

When people knew SAO wouldn't be the only game in the anime, (talking about the link in this post) she should have been put as a main character from the start, anyway, but maybe the only people who would bother weren't reading the light novels. Neither do I, but she does seem like one now.

[spoiler=Don't Read If You Don't Want To Know What Happens After Alfheim Online]If you think that Asuna gets little screentime now, she gets next to nothing during Gun Gale Online. But, she makes a big return for the next arc after that.[/spoiler]

I'm not upset or disappointed with her limited involvement during Alfheim Online. The story is following the light novels quite well, almost perfectly, and it makes the story more interesting when they focus on newer characters instead of just established favorites.

Kirito now has a power-up transformation and it's a towering Gleam-Eye Beast?
YEAH SHONEN TROPES!

But nah, I liked this episode and that whole sequence was pretty pro.

[spoiler=Question to LN readers]
I heard there's apparently some other game after ALO called GGO or something, right?
Do you think a 2nd season's likely to adapt some of the stuff they won't have time for, or do you think they'll just have their own ending?
If it's the former, I might hold off on reading the light novels until the 2nd season's made.[/spoiler]

[quote name='Fusion X. Denver' timestamp='1352685583' post='6067105']
[spoiler=Question to LN readers]
I heard there's apparently some other game after ALO called GGO or something, right?
Do you think a 2nd season's likely to adapt some of the stuff they won't have time for, or do you think they'll just have their own ending?
If it's the former, I might hold off on reading the light novels until the 2nd season's made.[/spoiler]
[/quote]
[spoiler Answer]Depends on the TV ratings, which have been impossible to find.

The general reception for the english speakers is fantastic, so there is a strong chance imo. GGO is definitely the darkest arc to date, making it awesome. However, they have already casted a VA for a major character in GGO. Which is so far the only one, which leads me to believe it is for OVA purposes. This could be expanded, but so far no info.

Though, the ending of ALO could be a really strong ending for the series. So either way it will end well for anime watchers only. [/spoiler]

[quote name='Legend Zero' timestamp='1352686705' post='6067122']
[spoiler Answer]Depends on the TV ratings, which have been impossible to find.

The general reception for the english speakers is fantastic, so there is a strong chance imo. GGO is definitely the darkest arc to date, making it awesome. However, they have already casted a VA for a major character in GGO. Which is so far the only one, which leads me to believe it is for OVA purposes. This could be expanded, but so far no info.

Though, the ending of ALO could be a really strong ending for the series. So either way it will end well for anime watchers only. [/spoiler]
[/quote]

In which case I'll wait it out a couple seasons and if we don't hear anything, I'll just go for the LNs.
I know I'll get to them eventually, it's just a matter of when since I'd rather see an anime adaption first.

I think I remember seeing this top 10 character list in Japan a little while ago and Kirito was on it, so I'm guessing SAO's doing well over there too.

[quote name='GodWynn' timestamp='1352677535' post='6066988']
[spoiler=Don't Read If You Don't Want To Know What Happens After Alfheim Online]If you think that Asuna gets little screentime now, she gets next to nothing during Gun Gale Online. But, she makes a big return for the next arc after that.[/spoiler]
I'm not upset or disappointed with her limited involvement during Alfheim Online. The story is following the light novels quite well, almost perfectly, and it makes the story more interesting when they focus on newer characters [b]instead of just established favorites.[/b]
[/quote]

But I [i]want[/i] Klein to get more focus!

Archived