League of Legends

Shrekstasy

Supports make or break the lategame.

That's good to hear. It would be awful if supports just had no late game relevance. Or relevence past the laning stage. 

It's also not shocking in the slightest - I'd argue in a lot of games for most MOBA's carries can be the least impactful hero's. Well, unless you have carriers that force themselves to take centre stage regardless.

To add on to what Hanako said, there are some supports that aren't even good in lane phase, such as Blitzcrank, Alistar, and Braum. They basically exist because they're really good in teamfights. Even Soraka, a healer with basically no CC, is great late game because she can spam her heals all over her carries.

Again that's good to hear. Also since you seem to know DOTA things as well, does LoL have an equivilant to a BKB? 

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Again that's good to hear. Also since you seem to know DOTA things as well, does LoL have an equivilant to a BKB? 

I do know some 'cause I've played a few bot games, and one of my IRL friends plays DOTA. BKB is the thing that makes you immune to magic damage, correct? The closest LoL has is probably Zhonyas Hourglass (which makes you invincible for 2.5 seconds, but unable to do anything), or maybe Banshees Veil (which gives you a shield that blocks the first spell that hits you).

On the topic of DOTA stuff, what all do supports do over there? I've never really understood, coming from LoL, why you need 2 of them.

No not really, LoL is less focused on items and more focused on skills. LoL items just make your skills do more damage with some utility items thrown in. Plus LoL took out the dodge mechanic a long long time ago, s*** was broken anyways.

Yeah, I know that LoL allows abilities to scale, and items have less utility than ones in DOTA. (Such as no Blink Daggers being the biggest one).

By Dodging I assuming you mean disjointing? 

I do know some 'cause I've played a few bot games, and one of my IRL friends plays DOTA. BKB is the thing that makes you immune to magic damage, correct? The closest LoL has is probably Zhonyas Hourglass (which makes you invincible for 2.5 seconds, but unable to do anything), or maybe Banshees Veil (which gives you a shield that blocks the first spell that hits you).

On the topic of DOTA stuff, what all do supports do over there? I've never really understood, coming from LoL, why you need 2 of them.

Yeah, Black King Bar, giving gradually down-scaling Magic Immunity. 

It depends entirely on the choice of supports. 

A supporting duo at the very basic level buys and upgrades the courier, gets wards, dewards, and usually utility items like Force Staff, and Urn of Shadows. They control lane equilibrium by pulling creeps, increase the overall economy of your cores by stacking the jungle, and rotate as and where is necessary in order to assist other lanes. (Either by TP scrolling in upon dives, or by rotating for ganks). Mid to late game they basically perform CC as well as buy Dust to reveal invis units, Smoke to make Smoke ganks, and generally rotate about with the intetion of getting pick-offs. 

But it changes a lot depending on your support choices, and the opposing draft. 

A support duo like Bane and Mirana have one job essentially. You rotate around the map getting as man kills as possibly due to the fact you have incredible pick off potential. 

You get some like Skywrath Mage who can do bits of everything, some CC, lots of in lane harrass, and amazing burst damage. They can do bits of everything. You have very passive, almost defensive supports who basically function as a lane support, but transition into being great mid game defensive heroes. You get some who can push incredible well (Including massive amounts of tower damage). Then you can have dedicated Junglers who build an economic advantage, whilst also rotating around for ganks and pushes depending on your there jungling mechanic works. 

Basically there's a tonne of variety in how supports play, and it's hard to explain without going into massive detail. But essentially they have much more variety, and much higher early game impact, whilst stilling scaling brilliantly in mid game, and even late game. 

Well you also get very greedy picks where a team will pick essentially a 4 core hero rather than a more dedicated support. 

The reasoning for two supports is simply due to how the jungle works in DOTA. It is simply not gold efficient half the time compared to having a core simply lane. Only a handful of Heroes are fully dedicated junglers, and that's only because they have skill-sets to accelerate there farm in the jungle. The Jungle in DOTA is more of a set of additional resources mid to late game. Thus it becomes more optimal to have only 3 farming cores, one for each lane. 

To add on to what Hanako said, there are some supports that aren't even good in lane phase, such as Blitzcrank, Alistar, and Braum. They basically exist because they're really good in teamfights.

I find this to only be 50% accurate.  Braum has incredible pressure, more so with specific carries--as do most supports--and can lane just fine.  Alistar has since fallen out of favor, but is by no means terrible in laning phase.  The big thing is that, while Alistar and Blitz work, Thresh and Nami do their jobs better.

Awe, match history doesn't go far enough back for me to one-up this with my 88-minute, no structures left (except Nexus, obv), 600-some CS Sivir stallfest comeback.

But wow, that jungle cow's score is...unfortunate.

Fun fact of the day, he was the... "support".

Archived