RWBY

[spoiler=Thoughts on V5 chapter 1]
Yeah, Ren and Jaune weren't really there at all, though I was disappointed with RNJR as a whole this episode (apart from Qrow to be fair). I forgot how much I liked drunk Qrow though if it's any consolation to the group, and I thought it was amusing when Qrow revelled in success after finding Oz.
Weiss' scene was pretty good as it established where Weiss left off without it needing to be reminded of.
Blake's however, wasn't that great to be fair
I think it's neat that we'll be seeing more of Watts in this volume, and Lionheart seems like a good character. It'll be interesting to see how things will shape up as the volume progresses.
They didn't need to have the bloke bouncing around after getting punched by Yang.
Wasn't the best way to start V5, but oh well.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[spoiler=5.2]Weiss' fight against the Lancers was okay, I wasn't that interested in it but the music was cool. Her crash landing into Raven's group (I wonder how the pilot fared) will be neat because it'll probably mean she'll be the first one Yang reunites with. That could make for some interesting character interactions because for the most part that sort of thing has just been between the White Rose and Bumblebee pairs.

A bit of Watts and Lionheart was cool, as well as Cinder having recovered enough to talk again. Lionhart's definitely cowardly, I hope to see him stand up for himself later on.

I wasn't expecting Adam to enact a coup so quickly, it's a shame we didn't see much of Khan. Hazel seems like an interesting dude, maybe a lawful evil sort of character. I want to see more of him as well.

[spoiler=Thoughts on 5-2]

- I will admit, the fight between Weiss and the Lancers was okay, the music was good, but the fight itself was nothing out of the ordinary tbph. I'm not holding out hope for the pilot following the crash (seemed like a cool bloke), but now that she's landed in Raven's territory, we'll probs see more interaction with her and Yang.

- On another note, when Weiss was going to use her glyphs during the Queen Lancer fight, it looked like she was dabbing (didn't notice at first though tbf)

- I see Cinder has recovered enough to speak, that's cool.

- Y'know I would like to see Lionheart stand up for himself later on at some point, it'd make for some interesting development.

- I couldn't remember if we knew Hazel's name in v4 or not, but nevertheless, he seems like an interesting guy. I'd be interested to see how things will progress regarding his character

- Things escalated quickly, I would've liked to have seen more of Sienna though before Adam initiated the coup d'état, oh well.

[spoiler=5-3]I love when Ozpin talks. Even if it's mostly not his voice this time around, I just love his tone and manner of speaking. And now we finally know what's up with his whole body swapping thing. Getting to see him in action in Oscar's body for training should be fun.

Hopefully there's some Faunus who will help Haven, but so far it looks like it might just end up being Blake and her family and Sun (or maybe just Blake and Sun I dunno). I think it'd be cool if we got at least a couple more Faunus protagonists. We haven't seen Velvet since Volume 3, maybe her and her team can show up a bit.

I'm wondering how Weiss is gonna utilize her little summon. I imagine it'll be done stealthily, but I'd absolutely love it if it went on a tiny rampage, Ant Man style.

[spoiler=5-3]I love when Ozpin talks. Even if it's mostly not his voice this time around, I just love his tone and manner of speaking. And now we finally know what's up with his whole body swapping thing. Getting to see him in action in Oscar's body for training should be fun.

Hopefully there's some Faunus who will help Haven, but so far it looks like it might just end up being Blake and her family and Sun (or maybe just Blake and Sun I dunno). I think it'd be cool if we got at least a couple more Faunus protagonists. We haven't seen Velvet since Volume 3, maybe her and her team can show up a bit.

I'm wondering how Weiss is gonna utilize her little summon. I imagine it'll be done stealthily, but I'd absolutely love it if it went on a tiny rampage, Ant Man style.

[spoiler=Reply]I thought after I watched that Weiss would send the little knight to get out of camp and find help

Dunno why I'm only commenting now considering I watched the episode on Wednesday (probs forgot to be fair) 

[spoiler=V5-3]
It's nice that we finally know what was up regarding Ozpin/Oscar and the whole body swap thing, in addition to learning that his soul was cursed after a past encounter with Salem. I'm looking forward to seeing him in action via Oscar's body.
As for Weiss, selling her back to her father? Ouch. (Though when Winter was mentioned, my immediate thoughts were the trailer for V5) It'll be interesting to see what she'll do with her summon though.
Regarding the faunus situation, considering the ruckus Ilia caused, it'll most likely be Blake and Sun. (I wouldn't mind seeing Velvet again to help as well, but realistically speaking, I'm not holding my breath)

[spoiler=5.4]The little training bit with RNJR and Oscar was fun, Nora's explanation about getting her semblance was funny but not a surprise, and I didn't even think about Jaune not being the only one who still needs him semblance. I wonder what Oscar's will be. It'll be nice to see everyone develop together, but especially those two.

Yang getting to camp was expected, it was obviously a trap but she turned it around nicely. The explanation of Raven's semblance was neat, but I really enjoyed the reunion of Weiss and Yang. A nice little heartwarming scene (I wonder how it will go between Yang and Blake). And I absolutely loved the music that played when Weiss made her knight all giant and there was almost a fight.

I'm the most interesting in Raven's side of the story in all this. Ozpin and Qrow's goals seem benevolent but there has to be a reason Raven split from them.

[spoiler=V5.4]

- It was neat seeing Ozpin train as Oscar, and the training sequence was quite fun to watch. Of course Nora got her semblance after getting struck by lightning and surviving, that wasn't surprising tbph, and ngl I kinda forgot that Jaune still hasn't got his semblance figured out yet. Though I wonder what Oscar's is as well

- Speaking of semblance, we learn that Raven's involve making portals that is connected to those she is (or has been) close to, though I am interested in learning what her side of the story is.

- It was obvious that Yang was riding into a trap, but with her skills, she managed to turn the situation around and get to the camp. Those fools obviously didn't know what hit them though

- Yang and Weiss reuniting was touching, though I was like "well then" when the tent fell and revealed Weiss, and I liked how she was like "subtlety is out" and made her summon bigger, wasn't expecting that.

[spoiler=5.5]No Raven backstory this time, but I am more interested in Corsac and Fennec than ever before. Seems they're not just blindly loyal to Adam. And with what Blake said about Adam and his demeanor in his message to the Albain bros, I wonder if Adam might go down a mad king sort of route. It'd at least make him a bit more interesting.

That bit with Ruby talking to Oscar was really nice, too. Lotta feels when she said "combat ready" like that. And her speech actually made me think about Monty's death, and how CRWBY has had to keep pushing forward without him.

I sure hope Blake's parents don't die. That'd suck.

[spoiler=V5.5]

- Bit surprised we didn't learn any more about Raven's side of things, but that's fine, there are many things going on at the moment.

- Figured Blake and Sun would struggle to get any support from the faunus at Menagerie

- When Blake was saying that Ilia could've passed for a human, but decided not to, I respected that

- Ruby's conversation with Oscar was touching, feels were had.

- Adam wants Blake's parents out of the picture. Considering the stance they took as of late, this isn't surprising. It'd suck if they died. It'll be interesting to see where Adam will go from here. 

[spoiler=5.6]So we finally know about the raven/crow transformation stuff, it's some sort of spell that Oz put on them. Though from how Raven brought it up, it seems she thinks of it more as a curse. Her stance on Oz and the rest makes sense now, as well. If Qrow and Raven attended Beacon for the good of their own tribe, Qrow joining forces with Oz instead is seen as a betrayal by everyone else in the tribe and caused a lot of bad blood between them and Raven. She didn't get to tell the whole story, though, so it'll be up to Oscar/Oz to fill in the rest for them.

But man, what an episode full of feels. Qrow learning all his former comrades are dead/missing was a downer, the part with Heather's husband and child, and even the shopkeep guy's somber line of "That idiot." hit pretty hard. I'm so happy to see more of Team RWBY reunited, though, that was so nice. All that's left is Blake.

[spoiler=V5.6]

- Huh, so Raven/Qrow's transformation stuff was all down to Oz, though Raven's stance is that she sees it as a curse (Of course with her stance on Oz, that's not much of a surprise tbf), though with what she said about Oz, it makes sense seeing as Qrow was branded a traitor for leaving the tribe and siding with Oz, though I do believe there are things we still don't know, so there'll be more opportunities to fill in the blanks later on.

- Meanwhile on Qrow's end, it was a downer that he wasn't able to locate any of his colleagues, though it was nice to see Weiss/Yang reunite with Ruby.

Hm. Is watching new RWBY on-time so I can discuss it worth getting a VRV account? No. Will I do it anyway? Maybe.

The current season is just fuckin grueling - like Volume 4, but even more. Every episode has exactly three scenes (I counted), which comes out to an average of slightly over five minutes per scene. In each one, various characters stand around talking. This involves either one character delivering swathes of slowly, slowly​ doled out exposition (a third of which we already know), or one character doing exactly one thing. It's like VRAINS comes twice a week! Only VRAINS has the excuse of airing continuously, as opposed to dropping what is essentially a single long movie once a year.

Maybe in episode 7, Team JNRR will finally leave that house they've been sitting in for the whole season. Rooster Teeth First members, let me know if they do. The suspense is killing me.

[spoiler=5.8]I'd probably care about Ilia's confession if her and Blake hadn't been pretty much just arguing with/attacking each other since her introduction. But I don't care.

Now that Ghira's kicked off what appears to be his "last stand against the baddies" thing, I'm fully expecting him to not make it out of this (though I don't think it necessarily has to happen). He was pretty cool this episode, just slamming and throwing dudes around like ragdolls. But now the shirt's off and the claws are out, next episode should be especially kickass.

I'm glad that Weiss and Yang had this chat about Blake (and for some reason it never occurred to me that Yang would have abandonment issues), I wasn't sure when it was going to be brought up. And overall I'm enjoying the bonding they're having.

Man, I remember the good old days when official simulcasts were always a week after broadcast, so people were talking about two episodes at once. But RWBY5 episode 7.

[spoiler=Not sure there's even anything in this episode to "spoil" but I'll be good]

They didn't leave the house.

You know how a lot of times, when you're watching or reading something bad, your irritation makes you make a ridiculous prediction that you're sure is going to happen, but in hindsight obviously wasn't? ("Great, I bet all the female characters are going to be tortured horribly and die", but only half of them do.) And then you feel dumb because you made the story look good by comparison? Well. Uh.

They're still in the f***ing house.

Last week, we learned that Ozpin gave Qrow and Raven the power to turn into birds. This week, we learned that Ozpin gave Qrow and Raven the power to turn into birds. Storytelling!

And Raven hates Ozpin for doing this to her...with her consent...and giving her an...extremely useful ability...with no ill effects...whatsoever. Storytelling!

Anyway, I'm gonna take the big gamble and see if I can double my money! I'm putting all my chips on "they don't leave the house in episode 8 either". Stepping out, ready to start their adventure, right before the credits roll, does not count. However, I'll make a private bet that they won't even do that.

I could wait a week, or one of you Rooster Teeth First guys could just tell me.

[spoiler=If you want to know...]They don't. The episode was focused on some talks between Weiss and Yang and then cut to Blake and her family being attacked by the White Fang. Next episode should be action-packed if that's what you're looking for.

Personally I've quite liked this volume, but I tend to enjoy stuff like exposition and character arcs more than most people, I think.

Yes! Jackpot! I can retire early to the countryside, and spend the rest of my days in peaceful solitude, rising with the sun and painting the beautiful forest vista. Wait hang on, I'm being informed I was not actually making a multi-million dollar bet, this was just a not very funny joke I made.

Oh well.

I'm behind (I could've watched 5.7 on Tuesday, but didn't 'cuz work), sue me

[spoiler=Thoughts on V5.7]

I enjoyed the throwbacks (like vomit boy, ice queen, etc), it felt like a proper reunion and it showed how far each of them has come since volume 1.

So Oz revealed that he gave the first maidens their powers (as well as reiterating what Raven said in 5.6 about her and Qrow turning into birds, great storytelling right there)

We get our first on-screen appearance of Emerald this volume (Mercury as well, but he was in the opening whereas Emerald was not), things will get interesting on that front.

[spoiler=Thoughts on V5.8]

Yup, still at the house, what a surprise. That aside, we have Yang and Weiss getting personal, chatting about loneliness and whatnot (on Weiss' end, another reason why her father is a jerk), whilst sheet is going down over at the Menagerie with the Belladonnas/White Fang, though it has kinda dragged on a bit, (then again this volume if I recall is gonna be longer than 4) at least we'll see some action next week.

[spoiler=5.9]The talk between Raven and Cinder's groups was interesting, and Vernal's little show of power was intimidating but subtle, I liked it.

Random scene of Oscar and Qrow was random, honestly not sure what that was doing here.

Ok, now they're kinda blueballing us with the Blake family fight scene. Just another tease, now I'm expecting next episode to really kick off. Also, purple aura on Ghira was neat, I just like purple.

[spoiler=Thoughts on V5.9]

The discussion between Raven and Cinder's group was interesting, as was the reveal of Vernal being the current Spring Maiden. I like that despite Raven agreeing with Cinder's proposal, she still doesn't trust them. I defo feel that the battle at Haven will be quite the spectacle.

The Qrow/Oscar scene felt like it didn't need to be in the episode tbph

As for the menagerie situation, damn, another tease. I liked Cormac and Fennec having complimentary weapons though (cold and heat).

Hot damn.

[spoiler=5.10]Well, that is not how I expected things to go. I was on the edge of my seat for so much of the episode, waiting for something to go wrong, but somehow things worked out okay. Except for Fennec. Guess we're not getting a deeper look at the Albain brothers after all. I don't know what that tray that Kali used was made of, but if it deflected a bullet it could certainly knock the funk outta some dude who didn't see it coming, good on her for that. Ghira's fisticuffs are still awesome though Corsac must also be quite strong to have that ora/muda moment against him.

Ilia finally joining the good guys is nice, too. Sure, one could say she got off too lightly, but I think it's fine. She's been pretty reluctant in her White Fang actions since she was introduced, and when Corsac and Fennec came to her with the assassination plot I knew she wasn't going to be able to go through with it. Blake's been trying to get her to switch sides this entire time, it's not like she wasn't going to accept her help and forgive her.

Hopefully we just get a timeskip of Blake's group getting to Haven, I don't think they need to show much, if anything, of their training/travel unless there's gonna be some major interruption or something.

When Oz and Ruby started having the conversation about the Beacon relic I immediately thought about the cane, it was pretty funny that they shot that down right away (unless it's not true, but Oz said no more lies so for now I'll trust that).

Archived