RWBY

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's the appeal of RWBY? It can't be story, because we've only just began that with Volume 3. Can't be the fights, because they're all s***. Is the character design? The girls? Someone tell what it is.

I disagree with you on all points there, so I'd only end up telling that what you've already shown your dislike for.

This, although, unlike Shradow, I will give reasons as to why I enjoy each of the things you listed as bad.

• What volumes 1 and 2 lacked in plot it made up for in setup and humor. It gave us an overview of the characters when they first meet and how much they improve in their teamwork, all the while having tons of Monty's trademark humor. However, starting in the middle of volume 3, it's apparent that they plan to have much more plot and much less humor (although our humor will come in the form of RWBY Chibi). So yes, while the plot didn't really start developing until season 3, the first two volumes showed great potential and provided fun laughs. It doesn't hurt that the episodes were so short, meaning we didn't have to dedicate a lot of time to watch or catch up to it.

• I very much enjoy the fight scenes. They very much fit the style of the show, which is mainly what I got drawn to. I heard Naruto, Bleach, and Dragonball have great fight scenes, but I couldn't get into these shows for the life of me. Maybe the shows that do fight scenes "better" just also generally follow styles that don't resonate with me.

• I find all of the characters very distinct in design and personality and it's exciting to get to know each characters a bit more with every new character development moment/episode.

Two other points I've slightly touched on slightly:

• style - while it's clear that Monty envisioned a much more humorous RWBY from the start and that the team is dropping off a bit in this regard, the vibrant colors, color themes still show through a lot. for some reason, I find that this vibrancy contrasted with its darker nature creates somewhat (and probably unintentionally) hilarious moments.

• RWBY's characters follow a structure of having a combination weapon, an aura/semblance, possible dust augmentation to either, and, if faunus, night vision and animal traits. At the very least, this allows for many possibilities for fans to make their own characters, and that sometimes can be an adventure in and of itself.

But not everything will appeal to everyone, so if these don't catch your eye, it would make sense why you wouldn't like the show.

I guess I'll level on it right now.

I've been watching RWBY 'cause it was Roosterteeth's first foray into a totally original animated production, so I wanted to see what they could do.

Volume 1 was really, really bad. The pacing was awful, the plot was bare-bones, and like, honestly, the fight scenes were super meh. I've done a huge thingy on my thoughts of the volume before, but I won't post them here. If you're curious, I can link you to that thingy, though. But yeah; it was just not that good.

But, I was gonna stick with it.

Volume 2 had more plot and more character development; and this was welcome for improving the series, and the pacing had improved A LOT; but the show still suffered from a lot of shortcoming, especially in how frequently the animation was just lazy or poor.

Volume 3 is still the best in my opinion, and a testament that the series is actively improving and working towards something objectively good. I disagree strongly with the idea that RWBY is all about the fight-scenes. Flashy action scenes do not carry a given piece of media, especially something that's intended to be as long-form as RWBY is.

I've brought this up in a script-writing course while offering feedback to someone's script in a workshop. I said that action is essentially fluff in a story; it doesn't offer much in the way of the plot or development, and serves to bring tension to the table and be flashy and nice to look at. It's a tool that can be used to make a story more interesting, but it can't carry a story alone.

When I think of action scenes used as a tool properly for a story, I think of the final Zuko vs. Azula fight in Avatar; it's purely an action scene that uses the context of the whole story to add so much more depth and emotion behind what's going on. I mean honestly, solid stories and characters can really bring an action scene to life, but if someone wants a story to be REALLY good, it doesn't really work the other way around.

IN hindsight we can see why Volume One was so . . . . "meh". Not only did it have the same problems as every other shows, setting up the world, the characters, the lore, etc., but it also had to figure out just how much to give without boring people. On top of that, the series first "season" was only meant to introduce everything- nothing more.

So for me it was basically an info dump while getting used to the characters.

Season Two showed me how they improved and what I thought was going to be the way the series went- with Team RWBY participating in the tournament then going after Torchwick.

Season Three is threw all of my expectations out the window.

It's like "Red vs. Blue". The first few "seasons" aren't that good. It was mainly for jokes and seeing the characters interact. But Rooster Teeth has shown with "Red vs. Blue" that they take time to make you care about the characters before sending them off on their epic journey.

What's the appeal of RWBY? It can't be story, because we've only just began that with Volume 3. Can't be the fights, because they're all s***. Is the character design? The girls? Someone tell what it is.

I agree on the story only really beginning with Volume 3. But the fights are MILES ABOVE what most anime can give you.

Mostly for the fact that (at least for now, provided that the new direction doesn't f*** up everything) they're actually choreographed, which is something that a lot of the anime I've seen can't really claim.

Of course, the fights complement the plot, just as the plot complements the fight. But there are a ton of productions that have characters and a plot comparable to RWBY's. Not saying that RWBY is a knockoff. But what's REALLY unique about it is its style, especially in the fight scenes. Take that away, and RWBY is no longer unique.

• 3 weeks later...

giphy.gif

So what is everyone's opinions on RWBY Chibi now that we've had a few episodes to see?

In my opinion it's pretty good. Looks like a bunch of jokes that the team wants/ed to put in the show but ha to get cut. It's not bad, some of them I really do like, but as with any comedy there are some jokes I just don't enjoy.

So what is everyone's opinions on RWBY Chibi now that we've had a few episodes to see?

The characters look... off and weird; particularly every time I notice the geometry around their eyes. Overall it desperately needs a sort of cell-shaded look to it, or something to add to the cartoony appearance; because the current method of shading makes everything just look... bad...

Beyond that, the jokes are lazy and have zero comedic depth to them. The only time it got me to chuckle is when they poked fun at how they cut corners to animate background extras in season 1; beyond that, everything else is just over-used, low-hanging fruit that they just grabbed for a cheap laugh from an easy audience.

• 3 weeks later...

Am I the only one who doesn't like RWBY Chibi? Idk, like all of my friends love it, but I just don't find it entertaining.

Maybe its cuz I'm still salty about the ending of RWBY and no amount of chibi can fill the hole in my heart Pyrrah left but still.

So, the trailer seems to show that the graphics have (predictably) gotten a lot better, but the quality of the animations seems to at least have stayed consistent. Maybe I was worrying over nothing.

I don't get why they decided to have a 6-8 months timeskip, though. There was a LOT to explore about the political situation. At least I'm glad it's not a 1 year timeskip like some people were saying at first.

I had seen the trailer, it looks really good.

Yang's new look makes me sad, though. It kinda reminds me of hobo Phoenix Wright in Apollo Justice. But like hobo Phoenix Wright, hopefully Yang will still be doing cool stuff from the shadows.

• 2 months later...

Archived