Sugar Cube Corner - Bronies of YCM

Shradow

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@Issun: But it's suppposed to look crazy, hence, why I said you could be a hipster and do that. But why would you anyway?

@Shradow:
>Build a bear has Spike
Neat.
Also, it suddenly occurred to me that you could be weird and use some of the outfits from the bears, for whichever pony you want.
ALSO, the day they add a Fluttershy; Their sales will likely explode.

And while I'm at it- Saw this just now:
8a5.gif

So, a fanfic I like put me in some fanfic-reading quest. Curse you Capn. Chrysalid and your god writing skills!

So, I am fan of the fanfic The Best Night Ever, and it's ongoing sequel, This Platinum Crown. All OK.

There is one fanfic I haven't read yet, written by an admin of Fimfiction.net. It's named The Sweetie Chronicles: Fragments. It involves a dimension-jumping Sweetie Belle, with each chapter taking place in the universe of one fanfic of another author. One of the chapters take place in the universe of that fanfic I am fan of, during the events of The Best Night Ever.

Now here comes the thing. The author of The Best Night Ever said the chapter of Chronicles taking place in the universe of his fanfics is canon to those stories, and in there are references to it thrown in the ongoing story. Thus, even if the story can be understood without reading Chronicles, I feel I will be missing the whole picture.

Now, I will read The Sweetie Chronicles. But I don't want to just read the introduction and the relevant chapter. I want to just read it complete if I need to read a part. The problem is, as I said, the story involves crossing with several other fanfics, most of them I hadn't read yet. I have started reading the fanfics featured in Chronicles, including a Twixie shipping story; a Twilight x Nightmare Moon story that is incomplete and hasn't been updated in years; a story about the 200 years old mane six who never get old due to the Elements and have to deal with losing loved ones; and now I have left one other story. It's called Pink Eyes, and is a spin-off of Fallout: Equestria.

I don't want to read a spin-off of a story I haven't read yet, and I haven't read Fallout: Equestria because I want to play at least one Fallout game first.

So here is what I would do if I simply don't just stop caring: Get a Fallout game and finish it (I suppose Fallout 3 is the best option). Then read Fallout: Equestria (one of the longest fanfics of the fandom). Then read Pink Eyes. Then read The Sweetie Chronicles: Fragments.

As you can guess, I will not do all that, and will just call the thing off.

To be fair, guys, nobody ever said fanfiction was ever perfect.
I mean, some of it is better then others, but still.

off-topic, but your Spike/The Kid avatar is amazing.

It actually isn't from IWBTG, it's just a slight edit of this pic I saw the other day:
[spoiler=pic]
868.png[/spoiler]

Rarity, to an extent, is like that.
I mean, if you think about it, she obtained her Cutie Mark from her ability to find gems, and not so much design fashion.
Then again, Cutie Marks aren't exactly just for what your talented in, but rather, could also retain some trait of their owner and/or be related to their hobbies/interests.

I find it humorous Rarity got her cutie mark because she can find gems, so it's really an important skill of hers, but Twilight could easily copy the spell after probably having only seen it once.

The thing I like about Twilight is that she treats magic like a science (and we all know that sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science), and her intellect allows her to analyze any spell for what it does and easily mimic it, even big stuff like Sombra's dark magic.

Okay, I'm glad you mentioned that, because that is something I've wanted to bring up for a long time.

The hell is magic in this universe anyway? In Boast Busters, we're told that every unicorn can ONLY use a specific type of magic based on their talent, and Twilight is special because her talent IS magic.

But then, Starswirl the Bearded is mentioned. Not only did he CREATE types of magic, he has an ENTIRE LIBRARY dedicated to magic that he made. AND, come Magic Duel, not only could Trixie use more magic, Twilight EXPLICITLY SAID "An aging spell? That's only possible for high level unicorns!"

Really, ANY Unicorn can learn pretty much any spell, from what I can tell, it's just that they have to study it a lot. And Twilight is big cheater because she's a prodigy. 

I just want to know what's canonically correct. Due to the fact that it's most recent, and there's more evidence supporting it, I'm going with the idea that every Unicorn can learn anything, it's just that most are only good at one enough at one thing to only care about that one thing when it comes to magic. Which, again, makes Twilight a big cheater.

I think "high level" magic would mean that the spells would be forbidden as well. I mean, if anypony can master it, then there would be a matter of chaos with aging and Rule 64 all about.

But about cutie marks and magic, I would always think of their names and their respective talents/interests. Is it truly destiny that guides a selected cutie mark? The Boast Busters thing seems bogus as well if every unicorn can only use their magic that's aligned towards their destined talent. But seeing as Twilight came to be the Element of Magic, is it fate/prophecy that this one pony would unite the elements once more? It seems wild to think about, but if there are going to be some inconsistencies through the series, then we can assume probably some ponies were born with varying levels of magical abilities and talents, whereas there are exceptions like Trixie, Twilight, and Starswirl.

Off topic:

ff1.jpg

characters like Trixie or Starswirl. Ponies who can also do lots of magic.

I don't think Trixie counts. iirc, without the Alicorn Amulet, she only has magic relating to "real" magicians, such as smoke and mirrors and sleight of hoof, stuff for shows.

Archived