A Look Into YCM's History - A Request of Sorts

goddamnit names are a pain

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't get to see Fusion's post until today but it was pretty cool going through it. That's probably more the kinda thing being requested here in terms of a YCM history.

I might try to write up something similar to see if I can't add anything to those who are curious of the older days. Can't say I know when I'll get to it though.

R.P.820 was the third biggest club, not AP, iirc.
I was thinking RP.820 had 800 pages, but now that I'm thinking about it, might've been 1,800.

Unless there was a remake or 2 slipping my mind.
Also Darkplant is part of The Organization/YGOrg nowadays and pops up rarely.
Don't know what that is, but that's good to know.

And byak was one of the top 3 in TCG when I started there (Jenny/byak and Lily/Koko are a couple, btw)
Now I remember, though I had little/no interaction with him/her.

We could use a TCG history...
Overall seemed more or less correct.

Cool, glad my memory wasn't that faulty.

Does anyone remember the fake YCMaker account on DN? And Frog the Jam?

I remember the former, but I forgot the circumstances surrounding it.

I do remember Zeal dueling people as YCMaker and causing some doubts (though not really) about his legitimacy and it riled up the forum really hugely for a day or two. But I feel like I missed something.

And CowCow, guess there were some benefits to the forum downtime. More time to stroll memory lane.

But the cool part is that wasn't even all of it. TCG, Showcase, RP, those have intimate histories that have had funny/interesting stories crop up from there over the years.

Didn't get to see Fusion's post until today but it was pretty cool going through it. That's probably more the kinda thing being requested here in terms of a YCM history.

I might try to write up something similar to see if I can't add anything to those who are curious of the older days. Can't say I know when I'll get to it though.

Speak of the dog devil, this guy's been in RP AND he's considering a write-up.

Also, you gave me my 700th rep. Thank you!

Makes sense. Akatsuki had 3.5, Chibi Knights had 2, the Hotel's had 2, you could argue Club Pikachu was reincarnated multiple times for every Pokémon club that's cropped up over the years.

Even Powerforce was the continuation of another club called Stardust...something, don't remember. Stardust Force?

And I just realized I left out the whole thing with the cardmaker not having Xyz until Showcase people got together and eventually got YCMaker to add it in.

R.P.820 had at least one Remake. Maybe 2.

So far as I can recall it only ever had one remake and that was to give you control over the opening post since Phantom wasn't around a lot at the time. But memories aren't perfect. Perhaps I'll dig through the site a bit to see if it ever did get more than one.

On a completely unrelated side note, I'm liking the new name Fusion. You must remember to show the younger members the amazing power of their youth and how explosive it can be.

I can easily provide more insight into the whole s*** that people have against Striker, but honestly it just boils down to Striker was a dumbass.

This all happened around the time The Absolute Powerforce was a thing. As Fusion mentioned, I was one of the few people who remained on Striker's side for the longest time.

I tried to help him and would even PM other people to try and get them to not be as harsh against him. Black beat him in a 1v1 a long time ago and used it as an opportunity to try and knock him down a few pegs, so I sent him a message to try and convince him to not be too harsh against the guy. It didn't go well to say the least, the "Apology Thread" Striker made ended up devolving into petty arguments and s*** like that.

Anyway, Striker's godmodding s*** and horrible attitude ended up getting worse and worse until it ended up pissing the majority of people off. I was blind to this for a while, well, more like I still thought he could change when everyone else gave up on him.

Then he decided to accuse me of completely abandoning him for the "cool kids" and not doing anything for him.

I was the only person left in the Absolutely Powerforce who was defending his batshit insane actions. Just, lemme get a post made by [url=http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/222313-roleplaying-club-come-and-improve-your-skills/?p=5167149]Broken that I still 

respect to this day.[/url]

I can also show you the straw that broke my back and made me just snap against Striker, cause that was a fun time. Like, I consider that series of posts my Magnum Opus here on YCM. I can only show the climax though. The rising actions all occurred around different threads on YCM. 

[url=http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/205534-absolute-powerforce-everlasting-burning-soul/?p=5165654]It started with Striker trying to provoke arguments and his excuse was "It makes me laugh."[/url]

[url=http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/205534-absolute-powerforce-everlasting-burning-soul/?p=5165748]He went on to say I did nothing to help him ever. If you scroll down from there, there are two posts made by Black and now gone member Cherry on the topic, along with a third post from me.[/url]

At this point, I was pissed. I was the only person left who was defending Striker at all, and having him stab my back like that killed the last hope I had in him, and it made quite a few people in the club upset as well.

[url=http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/205534-absolute-powerforce-everlasting-burning-soul/?p=5165774]What Striker said to me made Ice really angry. His posts sums up a lot of what the Powerforce was thinking about Striker, and even with me around it was hard to convince them to not crucify him.[/url] Two days before this mess, I was talking to Ice. I told him I would fix the messes Striker made. This broke me, and I refused to help Striker anymore.

[url=http://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/205534-absolute-powerforce-everlasting-burning-soul/?p=5165879]I broke. This the post that pretty much ended my time on YCM. I was never as active as I was then after I made this post.[/url]

So yeah. I just felt like, since I was one of the main people at the heart of all the Striker drama, I should bring to light some of the facts of what happen. Most of the people who hate Striker don't hate him because of what he did on the site, but because that he completely ignored the fact that one person was keeping him from being one of the most hated people on the site to Powerforce. Once I stopped defending him, everything went to hell for him for a while.

This Striker s*** went on for a couple pages, read them if you would like.

Striker isn't nearly as bad as he was then, but for those of you who are newer and don't know why Striker has the reputation he does and why it's still alive today, it's because he completely spat on the one person who was on his side the longest.

I can easily provide more insight into the whole s*** that people have against Striker, but honestly it just boils down to Striker was a dumbass.

This all happened around the time The Absolute Powerforce was a thing. As Fusion mentioned, I was one of the few people who remained on Striker's side for the longest time.

I tried to help him and would even PM other people to try and get them to not be as harsh against him. Black beat him in a 1v1 a long time ago and used it as an opportunity to try and knock him down a few pegs, so I sent him a message to try and convince him to not be too harsh against the guy. It didn't go well to say the least, the "Apology Thread" Striker made ended up devolving into petty arguments and s*** like that.

Anyway, Striker's godmodding s*** and horrible attitude ended up getting worse and worse until it ended up pissing the majority of people off. I was blind to this for a while, well, more like I still thought he could change when everyone else gave up on him.

Then he decided to accuse me of completely abandoning him for the "cool kids" and not doing anything for him.

I was the only person left in the Absolutely Powerforce who was defending his batshit insane actions. Just, lemme get a post made by Broken that I still 

respect to this day.

I can also show you the straw that broke my back and made me just snap against Striker, cause that was a fun time. Like, I consider that series of posts my Magnum Opus here on YCM. I can only show the climax though. The rising actions all occurred around different threads on YCM. 

It started with Striker trying to provoke arguments and his excuse was "It makes me laugh."

He went on to say I did nothing to help him ever. If you scroll down from there, there are two posts made by Black and now gone member Cherry on the topic, along with a third post from me.

At this point, I was pissed. I was the only person left who was defending Striker at all, and having him stab my back like that killed the last hope I had in him, and it made quite a few people in the club upset as well.

What Striker said to me made Ice really angry. His posts sums up a lot of what the Powerforce was thinking about Striker, and even with me around it was hard to convince them to not crucify him. Two days before this mess, I was talking to Ice. I told him I would fix the messes Striker made. This broke me, and I refused to help Striker anymore.

I broke. This the post that pretty much ended my time on YCM. I was never as active as I was then after I made this post.

So yeah. I just felt like, since I was one of the main people at the heart of all the Striker drama, I should bring to light some of the facts of what happen. Most of the people who hate Striker don't hate him because of what he did on the site, but because that he completely ignored the fact that one person was keeping him from being one of the most hated people on the site to Powerforce. Once I stopped defending him, everything went to hell for him for a while.

This Striker s*** went on for a couple pages, read them if you would like.

Striker isn't nearly as bad as he was then, but for those of you who are newer and don't know why Striker has the reputation he does and why it's still alive today, it's because he completely spat on the one person who was on his side the longest.

This is helpful in understanding why Striker has the reputation that he has now; thank you for posting it.

On a sidenote, not sure what kind of history I can write about for YCM; considering there is a 21 month gap in it. Maybe a history of Club Espeon or something [the original one did have a fair amount of stories during its original run; not so for the remake].

Cool, glad my memory wasn't that faulty.

I remember the former, but I forgot the circumstances surrounding it.

I do remember Zeal dueling people as YCMaker and causing some doubts (though not really) about his legitimacy and it riled up the forum really hugely for a day or two. But I feel like I missed something.

And CowCow, guess there were some benefits to the forum downtime. More time to stroll memory lane.

But the cool part is that wasn't even all of it. TCG, Showcase, RP, those have intimate histories that have had funny/interesting stories crop up from there over the years.

Speak of the dog devil, this guy's been in RP AND he's considering a write-up.

Also, you gave me my 700th rep. Thank you!

Here's what I remember: A fake YCMaker account (allegedly the one Zeal/Frog the Jam made) contacted I think Rodrigo and said that he was going to get rid of all spambots by deleting every account that was online at 12 A.M. that day. This erupted into some form of status bar activity where the news were spread and some people started treating it as a cult thing.

I wasn't online at the time, so this is all hearsay and things I gathered from a file with a screenshot of the status bar at that exact moment, but I sadly no longer have that file.

Here's what I remember: A fake YCMaker account (allegedly the one Zeal/Frog the Jam made) contacted I think Rodrigo and said that he was going to get rid of all spambots by deleting every account that was online at 12 A.M. that day. This erupted into some form of status bar activity where the news were spread and some people started treating it as a cult thing.
I wasn't online at the time, so this is all hearsay and things I gathered from a file with a screenshot of the status bar at that exact moment, but I sadly no longer have that file.

I actually remember that happening, but unfortunately I don't remember details.

I actually remember that happening, but unfortunately I don't remember details.

I don't remember it in any great detail, but I know a bit. Dwarven King doubted the power of "YCMaker" (who was touted by most members as our Lord and Savior in the status bar). This dispute was ended by a duel between "YCMaker" and DK. I wasn't able to watch it (I believe I was dueling evilfusion at the time), but I know "YCMaker" played Wind-Ups, one of the top decks at the time, and won. Which lead to even more hype.

There was also that one April Fools Day where the joke was that a bunch of topics on the first 1-2 pages of sections were stickied, and people complained 'cause it was a lame joke. Speaking of April Fools Day (don't remember the year, it was right before Rod got banned), there was the time Rod and I stole Pika's joke idea, and swapped names/avis/everything. Not really history, but it happened.

This is helpful in understanding why Striker has the reputation that he has now; thank you for posting it.

And I just realized that because the Powerforce is an Archived Topic, those links probably didn't work right. Seriously what's up with that? :/

That said, no problem. A large part of the schism going on with YCM is rooted in the actions that happened in the past, so it's worth bringing those details back to light. I seriously doubt anyone would have bothered if I didn't. 

Oh, I remember now. I can confirm since I was awake for that.

The legitimacy of Zeal's YCMaker was upheld because I remember my account was banned, as were a bunch of others. People made statuses that were taken down immediately, so we actually thought sh*t was going down and YCMaker was going nuts.

Mods pranked us...

Looking more closely over Fusion's post, he covered a lot of stuff and obviously did his homework very well when writing. Well this old dog isn't that motivated for this to do such things so instead I'll just ramble about things for a while and see how it goes.

[spoiler=Ramblings]YCM's an excellent place to find your "true online self" (whatever that means). But however silly that sounds you've seen it in people that have a theme they stick to very well. Like Fusion will always be Luigi to everyone here, I'll always be a dog of some sort or another, Sakura will always be Sakura, and so on and so forth. Well of course when one first comes to the Yugioh Card Maker Forum they hardly expect such a thing to happen to them. Take me for example. I joined this place on July 25th, 2008 (my goodness it's been that long). And strangely enough my joining of the site was for much the same reason Fusion joined. I too saw sonic yugioh cards though on Deviant art and I'm not entirely sure how I stumbled across them. Regardless the description included therein a link to the card maker.

And without even knowing what was going to happen I clicked that link. I had never been a forum goer. I was a fifteen year old console gamer and that was about it. Granted I had played a few MMOs by that point. In fact my original name of Andx came from the first thing I really did online which was play Runescape. Now Runescape was this game where everything was originally in 2D graphics and you ran around and you fought things and by fought I mean you just stood there and your guy kinda poked the monster a bunch of times until it died but that was fine I mean we were all like twelve years old when we were playing and you don't care too much for gameplay or quality or whatever and....

Oh right YCM history. Right, staying on topic. So anyway, I was just a foolish card maker. I think Brawl had just been out that year as Brawl cards were some of the first things I made. I also made Fire Emblem stuff and Bleach stuff. All really bad ocg I'm sure. I don't exactly go looking through them anymore. But for a good long while that was it. I stuck to the card maker and never so much as touched the Forum button. Well we know that curiosity killed the cat (Ha, it's funny cuz the cat gets dead) so eventually I looked at the forum. There again I just kinda stuck to one place. I looked at the pop culture cards for the most part. And as that went on I finally posted commenting on them. Realistic was much too scary a place for a new card maker such as myself so while I looked every so often I stuck to Pop Culture. I don't think the place has changed all that much other than levels of activity or new series that have come out since.

Well of course this was merely all part of YCM's diabolic plot to lure me in forever. For as time went on I began posting cards I made and then even commenting in realistic. (Yugioh was a fair bit simpler at the time so I sort of knew how the game worked hence the only reason I ever felt like commenting. Today I wouldn't know what to say since I'm so out of touch with the state of the game. Never really have been very on top of the meta though.) Then YCM takes you and shows you that there are forums outside of custom cards. This is the dangerrous part and likely your last chance to escape. Because eventually YCM sits you down in front of a thread of something you really like and then you're caught. Well I don't know about any more. But at least back then it was probably clubs or something stupid like that. It was for me anyway.

I joined a club about the Tales of Series of video games. And thus began real social interaction with members who are mostly not here anymore. (All this early stuff would have gone down in 08 or early 09 just for time reference, not that you care so much about me as the stuff that happened).

Eventually that club died and somehow or other I joined some anime based club as I was really getting into anime at that point in time. I forget what it was originally called but eventually it became known as the Megaverse. I don't know what to tell you about the Megaverse really. A collection of young idiots rambling about various anime and other things, you all know what that's like. The leader was like twelve and stuff. A lot of the members from that time are long gone. Though it was there that I met a certain someone named Shadow Zero (or whatever the heck he's named now). Thus began a most interesting relationship.

Early on I was good friends with Shadow. Eventually we both had a falling out with the Megaverse (I was tired of spam/hanging out with immature kids? idk for sure). Can't say why Shadow left but he did. As time went on I started disliking him and it kinda always went back and forth from tolerating to disliking. He always seemed to like me though. Like I said, weird. Well anyway I was kind of done with clubs for a bit at that point. Well not entirely. In fact I think I joined some little Bleach club that didn't last very long. All I know is there was a certain link in this thread. And this certain link led to a certain forum on the site I had never really visited and with which I was unfamiliar. A certain forum with which I would become associated with. Yes it was a link to a Bleach RP.

Now I can't tell you much about this RP as I don't remember a lot of the details. If you've been in a Bleach RP you probably know the deal though. But for those of you unfamiliar with the way those went before Bleach was even done with the huge war arc I will now include a generic Bleach RP plot for you.

It is now X000 (insert favorite number for X) years after Aizen was defeated. There are a bunch of new captains. But there is some great evil doing things with Y (insert type of villain used in Bleach anime or maybe some attempt at a new idea if fancy). Now you must fight to stop them.

Like seriously every Bleach RP could boil down to that for the most part of what I saw. Everyone makes a captain because being anything other than godly in an RP is silly and not fun. Anyway, long story boring I joined this RP as did Shadow Zero. But it was here I encountered a member who altered the course of my social life here on YCM. 820reborn, later changed to Tempest Dahlia, was also in that RP. And though we were all pretty bad honestly looking back at it we had a lot of fun with the thing. Though eventually it got locked or whatever. Extended amounts of god modding tend to do that to an RP.

Anyway, 820 and I started talking at that point. It was around this time I first discovered the Yugioh Abridged series and stuff. Which was kind of important because I stumbled across an RP that was Marik's evil council of Doom. Thought it would be cool so I joined. That's where I met ThePhantomDuelist and Ragnelondite. Then little did I know 820 knew these two and they eventually created R.P. 820. Perhaps you've heard of this club. Well anyway I joined. Ragnelondite left and was replaced by Kazekage Gaara (You all know him as Black today). So from there I got more active in clubs and role plays.

I suppose some actual forum history and not just Andx-specific history would be appreciated at this point. So I don't know how many reading this will be familiar with the RP forum considering it's current activity level. But you know how people have to meet a certain post length of like at least four lines? Yeah that hasn't always been around. When I really got into RPs the section was attempting to up the quality of things. So at that time a Role Play had to have a tag in the title indicating it as a Basic or an Advanced RP.

An advanced RP was basically just what an RP has to be today. Basic had less restrictions. So in basic RPs it was common to see very short posts, god-modding and all of that. Though I will say as a new RPer I did appreciate the basic RPs as just fun things to do before I was really into things like plot and character development. And the more you practice the better you get right?

Well this division would not last forever. And thus started the Advanced Clause controversy. The mods of the section decided it was time for every RP to adhere to the advanced rules as a means of raising the forum's quality. Those who had done Advanced RPs were of course fine. But the basic RPers weren't so happy about things. By this time I had ventured into the land of advanced roleplaying so I don't think I was particularly concerned about my ability to still RP. But members like 820reborn were a bit more vocal about their discontent with forcing the advanced clause on everyone. This eventually resulted in an attempted forum migration I think. Because of this thread I was reading through some old stuff and from what I saw someone at the time named Flandre Scarlet (no idea if they're still around but they can correct me if I'm wrong) was trying to lead this proposed migration. It never really caught on. Eventually the forum just sucked it up and dealt with it. And it was a good idea to get some better quality stuff going.

Interesting note on the forum migration though. For a little while a member named Hayate Masaru (now Primal Fear) got a forum going for RPing called Role Playing Universe as I recall. Essentially all this ever amounted to was R.P. 820 members RPing with each other on a different site. Something happened though and we never were able to get back onto it.

Anyway just as a side note I've made quite a few RPs in my time and written plots for several other hosts. This is by no means me bragging but they did often impress people. But that said, I'm horrible at keeping an RP going and most died before they ever really got anywhere. This isn't to say that none of them did. My first RP ever was an Advanced Bleach RP (back before the Advanced clause was mandated if I recall correctly). Went crazy on plot and stuff (not that it didn't just boil down to the basic plot I gave when you looked at it). I ambitiously desired a full set of thirteen RPers including myself as the captains had been divided and stuff. I know Phantom Roxas was in it but other than that I can't recall anyone who's still around that was there. And it did get quite a few IC posts. Eventually I tired of trying to manage thirteen people and stuff and requested it to be locked. Much later, (like 2010 or so as opposed to 08/09) I made an RP called the Sound and Fury. Complete nonsense RP that everyone and their grandmother seemed to want to be part of. That said, large group, again I failed at managing it. You get the picture. I can bring in the apps but managing the IC, forget about it.

So Fusion told you a lot about clubs and stuff. I joined a lot too. Eventually Powerforce grabbed me and changed me forever into a completely random person. A few weeks before that I changed my avi to Repede for the first time. I've never not been a dog online since. So like I said, you find your true online self. You wouldn't have expected to when you joined but you do. Anyway, so yeah I was in clubs and stuff. Oh yeah, random tidbit I recalled. Before we switched to IP board and were on MyBB this interesting thing was happening. It was the page hiding glitch. New pages of threads wouldn't appear until a certain number of posts had been made and then the new page with like 4-8 posts would show up all at once. As I recall every deleted post made in a thread added to the count until some times it was whole pages wouldn't show up until the page after that had been made. So several clubs were remade around this time to get around that. The IP switched fixed the problem though got rid of everyone's saved PM drafts. A fact that saddened me as I had a bit of planning done for a Star Ocean RP in there I never got back after. Anyway, tangent over.

Guess I only bring up the clubs because the RP forum was home to three attempted Club Wars. Now as best as I can recall the first was a result of Club Pikachu and Organization XIII declaring war against each other and everyone took it to the RP. Think Fusion talked about these so I guess you can look at his stuff. I believe the second was R.P. 820 liked the war but wanted to do it better than the first one went. So we made up four factions and tried to go at it and it eventually died. The third was everyone in the forum wanted to go to war against striker. And while apps piled in, they all piled in against him. So there wasn't going to be much of a war. So it never even made it to the in character part.

What is it that attracted so many to these wars? Well it's obvious really. People are selfish. And by this I mean we love ourselves. And by that I mean whatever we actually think about ourselves, the subject of ourselves is generally one that is very easy to talk about. So given a chance to RP as yourself and beat up people you don't like on a forum playing themselves? Yeah everyone wants in on that. Besides that made personality and other parts of the app a breeze. And you got to have pretty much whatever powers you wanted. Even people who didn't usually RP wanted in on it.

Anyway. So now obviously Clubs and RPs are both much less active than they used to be. So I'll discuss why I think Clubs started to subside. A lot of stuff happened towards the end of 09 to the end of 11. Like I can't even begin to remember all the things I've done here or that happened. But somewhere in there the social dynamic of YCM changed forever with the introduction of real time chatting. First it was MSN, now it's skype. In between there were all these games online that you could chat in. So where one on one conversations used to be done over PM and groups conversations over Clubs, now you could do all that on different websites, and in real time.

And that's what my group of friends did. Whether it was MSN, Yugioh Network, Duel Monsters Genesis, Dueling Network, Dungeon Fighter Online (notably fewer of us for that), we took to the live chatting. Granted Absolute Powerforce at least took a fair bit longer to ever stop the madness that was its thread. This led to me at least moving away from RP and Clubs and YCM in general to these games or chatters we were on.

None of this has really been all that insightful I suppose. It's mostly just me gong on about some things I saw or things I was part of. I guess that's mostly what I've been here on YCM more than anything. I've lurked and watched and seen a lot. But I was never too involved with most of it. Eventually I drifted away from most of the friends I had here, had falling outs with others. There wasn't much left. Then I went away for two years to "become a monk" as Fusion put it. (I was a missionary for my church but that sounds cooler). So I can't tell you anything that happened between March 2012 and March 2014 as I wasn't around for any of it. But now I'm back. Mostly just lurking. Watching things happen. A forum with much less activity than it used to have. Top poster of the day has like twenty posts where they used to have like eighty. Do i miss the chaotic olden days? A bit yeah. I won't say that it was any better or worse there was just more of it going on. YCM is still entertaining at times so I still lurk here to see what you all come up with.

[/spoiler]

Well that was entertaining. My memory will probably work better if asked questions about things and stuff. But that's just some stuff. It's weird in that at the time it felt like there was so much stuff that was happening but now I either don't remember most of it or it doesn't seem all that important. Regardless that's a small look into the mystery of my experience here whatever good it will do anyone.

Archived