The Command Tower (EDH Hangout)

bury the year

http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/amonkhet

Full Amonkhet spoiler is out. What are you all considering adding?

Saskia (may be turning this deck into a "badass women of Magic" deck)

• Cascading Cataracts
  • Insult // Injury
  • Samut, Voice of Dissent
  • Vizier of the Menagerie (maybe I can swing this as being female?)
Ephara
  • Aven Mindcensor
  • Cast Out
  • Dusk // Dawn
  • Irrigated Farmland
  • Open into Wonder (???)
  • Vizier of Deferment (???)

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My considerations list for the new set. Decided to be super open to stuff so a handful of cards are only here because I have a 1% chance that they might actually be good.

Karador: Dusk//Dawn, Liliana, Death's Majesty

Animar: Prowling Serpopard, Rhonas the Indomitable, Vizier of the Menagerie

Sedris: Liliana, Death's Majesty, Combat Celebrant, Heart-Piercer Manticore, Embalmer's Tools

Gahiji: Anointed Procession, Oketra the True, Dusk//Dawn, Combat Celebrant, Rhonas the Indomitable, Mouth//Feed, Samut, Voice of Dissent, Oketra's Monument

Sharuum: Dusk//Dawn, Liliana, Death's Majesty

Freyalise: Rhonas the Indomitable, Sandwurm Convergence, Mouth//Feed

Hanna: Approach of the Second Sun, Gideon of the Trials, Gideon's Intervention, Kefnet the Mindful, Cycling Land

Grenzo: Bontu the Glorified, Combat Celebrant, Hazoret's Monument, Cycling Land

Iroas, God of Victory: Oketra the True, Dusk//Dawn, Combat Celebrant, Insult//Injury, Onward//Victory

Sliver Overlord: Mouth//Feed

Ezuri: Mouth//Feed

Gitrog: Liliana, Death's Majesty, Mouth//Feed

Kozilek: Oracle's Vault

Kemba: Anointed Procession, Oketra the True, Dusk//Dawn, Oketra's Monument

Sidisi: Bontu the Glorified, Dread Wanderer, Liliana, Death's Majesty, Liliana's Mastery, Lord of the Accursed, Plague Belcher, Bontu's Monument

Phenax: Kefnet the Mindful, Cycling Land

Atraxa: As Foretold, Liliana, Death's Majesty, Nissa, Steward of Elements, Oracle's Vault, Pyramid of the Pantheon

Sigarda: Rhonas the Indomitable, Cycling Land

Wort: Mouth//Feed, Cycling Land

All the considerations are pretty straight forward. Some interesting notes

Combat Celebrant in Sedris feels a little odd, but getting an extra attack step with my unearthed creatures is powerful and he plays well with unearth himself. Don't think I'll actually do it, but its worth considering. Of all my commanders this is the one I'm most interesting in reworking.

Sandwurm Convergence is 99% to note make it into Freya, but the deck really doesn't have a ton of ways to deal with flying creatures and protecting my commander is nice. Though at the same time I feel like something a ton better can be used instead.

I want more ways to draw cards in Hanna and Kefnet is one of the better reusable mana draw cards. Though I think I might just add Book of Rass instead.

The white and red monuments seem surprisingly decent to just throw into a deck. Don't think its insanely powerful, but I also don't think its all that insane to do so. Like, for the white one if you get 5 tokens off it (which I don't think is super hard) it would have done good work. Where as the for the red one getting to loot 2 or 3 times would have made up for the mana spent on it. That said if you can get the cost reduction on a good number of cards they are a TON more powerful.

Dusk//Dawn seems weird to consider for Iroas, but Iroas is indestructible and I have a decent number of value creatures. Might be decent.

I was really excited when I realized the gods always being creatures means they play well with Phenax. Is a pretty cool little interaction.

Rhonas seems like it has the best shot to make it into Sigarda. Unlike my other decks where Nylea is likely just better, the mana difference in casting and activating Rhonas would give him the edge here.

Kind of redundant. Everything in the deck already has evasion and Edric draws you enough cards. X spells are generally not good in Edric either since you want mana open for counterspells.

not even slither blade? just a little better than triton shorecrasher.

probably a good thing for me to make a list here:

i already built hapatra and neheb. i've had a few runs with hapatra and it's a lot of fun. avacyns just melt.

teysa: anointed procession (very happy) and maybe anointer priest. kinda upset by aven wind guide being UW but oh well.

wort: harvest season, maybe glorious end, maybe heaven /// earth

kraj: probably gets the new nissa, maybe. haven't decided

isperia/ultimus: maybe pull from tomorrow, maybe commit /// memory. isperia gets an updated aven mindcensor. ultimus gets kefnet's monument

dual lands go where they need to. 

im looking for new commanders to try, i'll just list my criteria:

• im pretty big on control, so i want access to a lot of boardwipes, counters and card draw.
  • i want a deck that has access to a lot of options for customization and fine tuning. im the type to want to make my commander decks as good as they can possibly be without being outright bullshit to play against.
  • i'd like not to go above 3 colors if possible.
  • commander that doesnt immediately get focused by everyone.

i've considered:

Brago

Merieke Ri Berit

Rubinia Soulsinger

Dragonlord Silumgar

Oloro

Damia

Rashmi

Jhoria

I already have Melek and Niv, as well as Sharuum and Azami. Should give you an idea of decks I like.

Might I reccommend ARJUN, THE SHIFTING FLAME?

Very fun commander that requires you to play with a willingness to improvise, but has plenty of ways you can weaponize crd draw while also putting you firmly in heavy blue most likely, giving you lots of counterspell options. Arjun is also not going to be on people's radar from turn 1 a vast majority of the time. It's great cause you just quietly assemble your combo of choice and then blast them.

You do already have Melek and Niv, so if you con't want to triple dip into Izzet, Roon of the Hidden Realm seems a bit like what you're looking for, or it could be. Mimeoplasm is also a deck that gives you a lot of options while giving you access to black board clearers and blue for counters and draw.

Brago and Jhoria basically play one way. They're pretty linear strategies but there's some room to play around with how your deck is set up.

Merieke, DLS, and Rubinia are all fine, I'd lean toward Rubinia simply because Bant is probably the best shard colors in EDH.

Oloro is boring and no one likes to play against him.

Rashmi and Damia are goodstuff decks. Rashmi is great since UG is honestly the strongest 2 color combo in EDH. Damia is seriously outclassed by Tasigur though. He does everything Damia does but comes out faster and can win the game on the spot.

Brago

Merieke Ri Berit

Rubinia Soulsinger

Dragonlord Silumgar

Oloro

Damia

Rashmi

Jhoria

Brago and Jhoria basically play one way. They're pretty linear strategies but there's some room to play around with how your deck is set up.

Merieke, DLS, and Rubinia are all fine, I'd lean toward Rubinia simply because Bant is probably the best shard colors in EDH.

Oloro is boring and no one likes to play against him.

Rashmi and Damia are goodstuff decks. Rashmi is great since UG is honestly the strongest 2 color combo in EDH. Damia is seriously outclassed by Tasigur though. He does everything Damia does but comes out faster and can win the game on the spot.

Yes, but Damia has Steve Argyle art.

Might I reccommend ARJUN, THE SHIFTING FLAME?

Very fun commander that requires you to play with a willingness to improvise, but has plenty of ways you can weaponize crd draw while also putting you firmly in heavy blue most likely, giving you lots of counterspell options. Arjun is also not going to be on people's radar from turn 1 a vast majority of the time. It's great cause you just quietly assemble your combo of choice and then blast them.

You do already have Melek and Niv, so if you con't want to triple dip into Izzet, Roon of the Hidden Realm seems a bit like what you're looking for, or it could be. Mimeoplasm is also a deck that gives you a lot of options while giving you access to black board clearers and blue for counters and draw.

I'll second Arjun. He's a lot of fun to play and does everything you asked for, though a bit less on the boardwipes. 

Guys, I'm out of ideas for new commanders to play. At this point I've played pretty much every combo, stax and aggro archtype out there. Suggest me some obscure and interesting legends to build around.

5C mono-gold tribal. Makes ramping pretty hard, though, considering the only real options are the borderposts and Exploding Borders. ;=;

Guys, I'm out of ideas for new commanders to play. At this point I've played pretty much every combo, stax and aggro archtype out there. Suggest me some obscure and interesting legends to build around.

Norin the Wary.

Also this is current list for Reyhan/Silas

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-04-17-the-glorious-evolution/

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone try the new 1v1 commander? Getting to play upheaval in a blue deck makes me feel something deep down inside and it feels good.

Just played my first game of it with very good results. It was exhilarating (I'm actually slightly shaky with amusement and shame) as I am not usually very good in 1v1 games, but I did get a bit lucky. Will require more testing... once I calm down a bit.

• 1 month later...

//grabs Whip of Erebos, targets thread

8mYlsfm.jpgu9GzihW.jpgfVTLtVg.jpg

So we've seen three new legendary creatures from HOU, with at least one more to come (The Scarab God). What are people's first impressions so far of these new commanders, and of the set as a whole, for EDH?

(And before it comes up, please keep discussion of the Ixalan leaks out of this thread. I know there are members who are trying to avoid those spoilers - including myself, and I'd like to try to accommodate them.)

I was kind of cold to the idea of The Scorpion God when I first saw him. Not sure if I've said it in this thread but I have an unhealthy bias against commanders that cost a lot and don't protect themselves. However the return effect does a really good job of shortcutting the commander tax and the pay off is certainly real. Between Shadowmoor, Scars, and now Amonkhet you should have enough -1/-1 counters to get a solid deck. Sadly I already have a BR deck so I'm not going to build it myself.

After getting over my issue with the Scorpion God I was a lot more cool with The Locust God. My not having a UR deck helped a fair bit. I actually did a very basic gatherer search for various wheel/windfall effects. I was surprised at how many options you have. While I do think the deck can be pretty cool I think its playing a little too close to what I'm doing with my Talrand list and since I like the style of play I built into that deck (Draw, Go) I think I'd rather have Talrand. My search for a UR commander continues on.

Neheb is certainly super powerful. Can go infinite with 2 other Red cards certainly something. That said I'm not sure what you'd do with him as a commander. He seems a much better in the 99 of aggressive commanders.

For other cards from the set that have stood out.

Hour of Revelation is nuts and I'm expecting it to be a commander staple.

Swarm Intelligence is slow but in the right deck is going to a windmill slam.

Solemnity can make the lives of some decks hell while also letting you go infinite with persist and undying.

Ramunap is a second Crucible of Worlds and a first for the people that don't want to drop a ton for a copy.

Scavenger Grounds gives non-black decks a Bojuka Bog of their own. Certainly want a copy in Kozilek.

HOU spoilers have been pretty tasty so far. probably gonna write up a list for both of the gods spoiled so far (and probably the scarab one when we get him too) since they're pretty nutty.

Scarab God has been spoiled. He basically replaces Grim Grin in U/B zombie tribal.

Scarab God has been spoiled. He basically replaces Grim Grin in U/B zombie tribal.

Personally I think Gisa and Geralf are the best zombie commander for UB. Granted I have a graveyard bias, but getting to use your graveyard as an extended part of your hand is super powerful. Personally I like Scarab more when you're feeding him with mill stuff which is a pretty different style of deck then what zombie tribal would go for. This is why I like the idea of him in my Phenix build. He keeps troublesome creatures from being reanimated for a decent price while also giving me more bodies to mill with.

Speaking of Phenax, a local store does commander weekends when the new set is getting ready to come out. Went and got to have some good tests of my build and it did really good work. Intruder Alarm is a stupid magic card and carried me to a full table deck out. Still need a little work with the deck. A continuous issue I think they deck will have is one of so many mana sinks (and adding Scarab will only increase the count). I was also underwhelmed by the Bloodchief Ascension and Mindcrank combo. The deck isn't aggressive so it really relies on the other players to trigger them both and I don't think thats a place I want to be.

Archived