The Command Tower (EDH Hangout)

bury the year

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Okay, here y'all go. No budget. All entries are due by midnight EST this coming Sunday, August 7. Please post your list using DeckStats (TappedOut's been glitchy recently so I don't trust it). I will judge you all and deem a winner, who will get... Iunno, a fancy badge for their signature. Or something.

Best of luck!

Rinne: Gwafa Hazid, Profiteer (Don't hit me, bro!)

Rodrigo: Progenitus (Tokens)

Sixty: Glissa, the Traitor (Living weapons + equipment)

Shard: Sakashima the Impostor (Clones)

Poc: Horde of Notions (Elementals)

Kano: Kangee, Aerie Keeper (Birds)

Faytl: Szadek, Lord of Secrets (Mill)

Yui: Ishkanah, Grafwidow (Delirium + spiders)

Lujan: Rakdos the Defiler (Anti-fun police!)

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, this contest didn't do anything. We all suck. Let's change the topic!

What do people think of Conspiracy 2 so far? This is probably the best release we have for EDH focused cards in a long time (I'll be writing up a full review hopefully on Monday once the set drops) but even now the commanders all look good.

Personally, the only one I'm disappointed with so far is Adriana. Probably the only real disappointment in terms of commanders so far. While she's one of the few commanders I can think of that gets better with really large pools, she for the most part just feels like a lesser version of Jor Kadeen. If I were to build her, I'd throw in every "extra combat" effect I can find and pray for the best. Just wish Boros could get less strict combat effects.

poor boros. i have no interest in adriana. in the pod sizes i normally play in, the most we get is five players, so everyone getting +4/+4 on attacks is cool but not exciting. load her up with double strikers.

leovold and marchesa, on the other hand...

leovold is obviously lending to being a second nekusar--windfall and wheel effects everywhere. the difference being he doesn't want anyone else to have a hand. sultai is arguably one of the best, if not the best, color combo in edh, so i expect him to take off. if i were to build him, i would steer clear of windfall/puzzle box shenanigans.

marchesa looks like a sweet mardu token commander. i would stuff her with plenty of repeatable blink effects and teamwide first strike cards like knighthood and archetype of courage to make her tokens deadly for combat. the blink effects like eldrazi displacer or conjurer's closet to blink marchesa if i ever want my crown back (also could run the new kaya)

selvala is an interesting mono-green choice, but i'm gonna slot her into kraj because she goes infinite with kraj and gilder bairn, joining the relatively small suite of cards that do so (gyre sage, viridian joiner, karametra's acolyte). the fact she makes any sort of mana and it has no stipulations is nuts.

new grenzo is absolutely insane. whether he goes into existing krenko lists to make it into mono-red mill, or he heads his own goblin deck, he is going to be a house.

kaya and daretti don't really fit into any decks of mine. i used to have a rakdos artifact theme deck that would LOVE daretti, but unfortunately that deck is long gone.

i'm just excited to have tons of juicy cube goodies from this set.

Leovold is nice because he's the only Sultai commander outside Damia that doesn't fold to graveyard hate. Doesn't have a specific direction to build in outside of wheels, but he's just a strong commander independently. I'm halfheartedly thinking of building him as Sultai control/ramp/goodstuff - no infinite combos. Chock full of removal, a few decent Howling Mine-type effects to interact with the commander (but no Puzzle Box because that's just being an ass), and a few big splashy cards for the win. Gotta include Edric and Expropriate for flavor, as well as his Entourage.

Marchesa's similar to Leovold. Provides card advantage, but doesn't strongly push you in one direction or another. If I'm building her, it'd probably be aggro/creature control. Tokens galore with a couple of the bigger "you become monarch" creatures to keep the crown and fill my hand.

Selvala's good, but I think she'll prove herself to be better in the 99 than helming by herself. Just need a creature of power 4+ for her to really start to snowball. I'd only worry that you already need a board presence for her to do anything - she's "win more" at its finest.

Grenzo, however, is nutso. If I wasn't already committed to two decks in development I'd strongly consider building him. Such versatility, and for only two mana.

And other cards I aim to pick up so far (hoping to eventually obtain each legendary that isn't Adriana as well):

• Sanctum Prelate: Hatebears gonna hate.
  • Expropriate: Even though I don't have a deck yet to put it in, I just want to cast this card once at some point.
  • Custodi Lich: Best of the monarch cards so far for me. Goes in Gisa/Geralf by virtue of being a zombie, and maybe in Ayli as well.
  • Subterranean Tremors: Once again, don't have a home for it yet, but who doesn't like Godzilla?
  • Regal Behemoth: Card advantage and ramp, all on a significant body?
  • Kaya, Ghost Assassin: Definitely has a slot in Ayli. Each of her abilities does something the deck wants.
  • Birds of Paradise, Burgeoning, Desertion, Hallowed Burial, Phyrexian Arena: All EDH staples.
Glad I've ordered a box. :'D

• 4 weeks later...

Not much going on, huh? Idea for discussion: If you had to do the 27 Challenge (soon to be the 31) and pick a commander to build a deck of each color combination possible, which ones would you choose? If you can't decide, having an extra 1 or 2 isn't off-limits. Also, to encourage variety lets say you can't choose any commander you already have a deck for.

Mono-White- Darien, King of Kjeldor or Khemba, Kha Regent

Mono-Blue- My least favorite color to play by itself, but Imma say Sakashima the Impostor

Mono-Black- Ink-Eyes, Servant of Oni, or Horobi, Death's Wail, or Phage the Untouchable.

Mono-Red- Pia Nalaar or Grenzo, Havoc Raiser.

Mono-Green- The newly spoiled Oviya Pashiri

Azorius- Dragonlord Ojutai

Dimir- Vela the Nightclad or Gisa and Geralf

Rakdos- Kolaghan, the Storm's Fury

Gruul- Ulasht, the Hate Seed

Selesnya- Sigarda, Heron's Grace

Orzhov- Not counting the Teysa, Envy of Ghosts I'm building, so Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim

Izzet- Oh jeez, so many good ones. Probably Nin, the Pain Artist.

Golgari- Sisters of Stone Death, Glissa the Traitor, or Mazirek, Kraul Death Priest

Boros- Basandra, Battle Seraph

Simic- Momir Vig, Simic Visionary

Esper- Sydri, Galvanic Genius, or Sen Triplets if I win the damn lottery.

Grixis- Thraximundar or Sedris, the Traitor King

Jund- Shattergang Brothers or Kresh the Bloodbraided

Naya- Rith, the Awakener

Bant- Roon of the Hidden Realm

Mardu- Tariel, Reckoner of Souls or Zurgo Helmsmasher

Temur- Maelstrom Wanderer

Abzhan- Doran, the Siege Tower

Jeskai- Ruhan of the Fomori or Shu Yun, Silent Tempest

Sultai- The Mimeoplasm

Pentacolor- Horde of Notions or Reaper King

Colorless- Karn, Silver Golem

What about you guys? I had a real hard time choosing and even narrowing down some of these to just 2, and failed in some cases, as you see. What commanders would you play?

W: Odric, Lunarch Marshal
U: Barrin, Master Wizard
B: Endrek Sahr, Master Breeder (Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief)
R: Grenzo, Havoc Raiser
G: Oviya Pashiri, Sage Lifecrafter (Titania, Protector of Argoth)

WU: Hanna, Ship’s Navigator
UB: Gisa and Geralf
BR: Tymaret, the Murder King
RG: Mina and Denn, Wildborn
GW: Captain Sisay (Sigarda, Heron's Grace)

WB: Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim
BG: Jarad, Golgari Lich Lord
GU: Rashmi, Eternities Crafter
UR: Keranos, God of Storms (Jori En, Ruin Diver)
RW: Iroas, God of Victory

GWU: Roon of the Hidden Realm
WUB: Sydri, Galvanic Genius
UBR: Lord of Tresserhorn
BRG: Adun Oakenshield (Shattergang Brothers)
RGW: Marath, Will of the Wild

WBG: Doran, the Siege Tower
URW: Ruhan of the Fomori
BGU: Leovold, Emissary of Trest - but no wheels, just control
RWB: Alesha, who Smiles at Death
GUR: Maelstrom Wanderer (Yasova Dragonclaw)

Refusing to choose a penta or colorless general because I don't find any of them interesting. Also, the majority of the generals I chose are utility-focused. Interesting… (Parenthesized generals are runners-up.)

W: Bruna, the Fading Light

U: Arcum Dagsson

B: Geth, Lord of the Vault

R: Zada, Hedron Grinder

G: Titania, Protector of Argoth

Azorius:  Dragonlord Ojutai

Gruul: Thromok the Insatiable

Dimir: Lazav, Dimir Mastermind

Rakdos: Tsabo Tavoc

Izzet: Jhoira of the Ghitu

Golgari: Glissa, the Traitor

Simic: Momir Vig, Simic Visionary

Boros: Basandra, Battle Seraph

Orzhov: Athreos, God of Passage

Selsnya: Captain Sisay

Bant: Rubinia Soulsinger

Grixis: Nicol Bolas
Esper: Sharuum the Hegemon

Jund: Prossh, Skyraider of Kher

Naya: Uril, the Miststalker

Abzan: Teneb, the Harvester

Sultai: Damia, Sage of Stone
Jeskai: Zedruu, the Greathearted
Temur: Intet, the Dreamer

Mardu: Kaalia of the Vast

Penta: Reaper King
Colorless: Emrakul, the Promised End

I'm going to name the commanders I actually have decks for too with this. I'll note which decks those are and at the end will list the ones I'd use if I couldn't make those decks.

W: Kemba, Kha Regent

U: Azami, Lady of Scrolls

B: Erebos, God of the Dead (second choice would be Blather the Defiled)

R: Daretti, Scrap Savant

G: Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury (have)

WU: Hanna, Ship's Navigator (have)

UB: Phenax, God of Deception

BR: Grenzo, Dungeon Warden (have)

RG: Wort, the Raidmother

GW: Sigarda, Host of Herons

WB: Karlov of the Ghost Council (I’d more or less copy my friends list)

UR: Mizzix of the Izmagnus

BG: Gitrog Monster (have a list written up)

RW: Iroas, God of Victory (have a list written up)

GU: Ezuri, Claw of Progress (have a list written up)

GWU: Roon of the Hudden Realm

WUB: Sharuum the Hegemon (have)

UBR: Sedris, the Traitor King (have)

BRG: Prossh, the Skyrauder of Kher

RGW: Gahiji, Honored One (have)

GWB: Karador, Ghost Chieftain (have)

WUR: Narset, Enlightened Master

UBG: The Mimeoplasm

BRW: Alesha, Who Smiles at Death

RGU: Animar, Soul of Elements (have)

5 Colors: Sliver Overlord (have)

Colorless: Kozilek, the Great Distortion

Since my initial building of commander decks I’ve really wanted to keep my decks as distinct as possible. So for WB I’d also really like to build a Daxos deck, but that play too closely to what Hanna is doing. I’d want a UBG Sidisi deck to do zombie tribal, but I’d rather do that as mono-black.

Of the decks listed, the ones I’d be least interested in building are Bant and Sultai. None of the possible commander choices really speak to me. Like, I really want to build a Sultai deck since I like maintaining color balance across my actual commander decks, but I just don’t have the spark to put one together. Its why I made BG and GU lists, I’d rather build them than a BGU list. Prossh and Purphoros are similar in that I wouldn’t be super interested in making them, but I at least think the decks can do cool things.

As for second choices for decks I already have

G: Titania, Protector of Argoth

WU: Brago, King Eternal (I'd rather a flicker deck with him than Roon)

BR: Rakdos, Lord of Riots (doesn't speak to me though)

BG: Nath of the Gilt-Leaf

RW: None. Aurelia and Gisela would function the same as Iroas and I don't like the other options at all.

GU: Prime Speaker Zegana (doesn't speak to me though)

WUB: Oloro, Ageless Ascetic (would be similar to what I did with Hanna)

UBR: Marchesa, the Black Rose (not doing Neku since a friend already has a build)

RGW: Mayael the Anima (other end of what I'm doing with Naya. I'm honestly not super happy with any of the current Naya options for my build tbh)

GWB: Doran, the Siege Tower

RGU: Maelstrom Wanderer (doesn't speak to me though)

White Isamaru, Hound of Konda

Blue Vendilion Clique

Black Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief

Red Purphoros, God of the Forge 

Green Omnath, Locus of Mana

Azorius Brago, King Eternal

Boros Aurelia, the Warleader

Dimir Oona, Queen of the Fae

Golgari Meren of Clan Nel Toth

Gruul Ruric Thar, the Unbowed

Izzet Niv-Mizzet, the Firemind

Orzhov Teysa, Orzhov Scion

Rakdos Lyzolda, the Blood Witch

Selesnya Rhys the Redeemed

Simic Vorel of the Hull Clade

Bant Roon of the Hidden Realm

Esper Oloro, Ageless Ascetic

Grixis Nekusar, the Mindrazer

Jund Prossh, Skyraider of Kher

Naya Mayael the Anima

Abzan Doran, the Siege Tower

Jeskai Narset, Enlightened Master

Sultai The Mimeoplasm

Mardu Kaalia of the Vast

Temur Maelstrom Wanderer

Rainbow Reaper King

Colorless Kozilek, Butcher of Truth

Only going to be including commanders I haven't built.

White Hixus, Prison Warden

Blue Teferi, Temporal Archmage

Black Phage the Untouchable

Red Fumiko the Lowblood

Green Jolrael, Empress of Beasts

Azorius Isperia the Inscrutable

Boros Depala, Pilot Exemplar

Dimir RECKseal, the Eldritch Meme

Golgari Mazirek, Kruul Death Priest

Gruul Mina and Denn, Wildborn

Izzet Jori En, Ruin Diver

Orzhov Daxos the Returned

Rakdos Kaervek the Merciless

Selesnya Rhys the Redeemed

Simic Rashmi, Eternities Crafter

Will do the rest later

once upon a time, i actually did the 32 challenge. took em all apart eventually because wow dude that's too many decks

but here's what i had. bolded names are decks I still have:

W: Nahiri/Kemba (equipment)

U: Mistform Ultimus (good times with lords and morningtide autoequipments)

B: Corrosive Mentor (pauper). Nowadays, I have a flavorful Kothophed deck.

R: Purphoros, God of the Forge (tokens)

G: Sachi, Daughter to Seshiro (shaman tribal super ramp)

Azorius: Isperia, the Inscrutable (bird/sphinx/angel tribal)

Dimir: Sygg, River Cutthroat (super budget)

Rakdos: Grenzo, Dungeon Warden (artifacts)

Gruul: Wort, the Raidmother (copy spell shenanigans)

Selesnya: Karametra, God of Harvests (land creature aggro. often got literally all 45 lands on the battlefield as 5/5 or higher trample/indestructible)

Orzhov: Teysa, Orzhov Scion (tokens)

Izzet: Tibor and Lumia (give them deathtouch and have enough levitation effects, suddenly every red spell you play is a one sided boardwipe)

Golgari: Varolz, the Scar-Striped (super voltron with guys like death's shadow and phyrexian dreadnought)

Boros: Iroas, God of Victory (double-strike tribal with every extra combat step card)

Simic: Experiment Kraj (infinite combo tribal/huge dudes are huge)

Bant: Roon of the Hidden Realm (yeah)

Esper: Daakon Blackblade (landfall)

Grixis: Marchesa the Black Rose (bleed while everyone else bleeds with you)

Jund: Sek'Kuar, Deathkeeper (my pet deck, rapid damage triggers combined with graveyard trickery and fast aggro with tokens)

Naya: Marath, Will of the Wild (wall tribal. yeah, wall tribal)

Abzan: Karador, Ghost Chieftain (shadowborn apostle fun)

Jeskai: Shu Yun, Silent Tempest (tiny leaders)

Sultai: Sidisi, Brood Tyrant (zombie tribal with hilarious mill-myself-forever combo)

Mardu: Zurgo Helmsmasher (boardwipe tribal)

Temur: Animar, Soul of Elements (first it was all creatures, and that was absolutely bonkers. then it was morph tribal, and that was only less bonkers)

WUBR: Yore-Tiller Nephilim (admittedly, never finished this guy. it's like kaalia but from the grave, so what do i even do there? goodstuff, i guess)

WBRG: Dune-Brood Nephilim (super tokens, like if teysa and sek'kaur were fused this is the commander)

UBRG: Glint-Eye Nephilim (infect tribal)

WUBG: Witch-Maw Nephilim (goodstuff)

WURG: Ink-Treader Nephilim (this card is stupid and makes commander games go whoooosh)

WUBRG: Horde of Notions (elemental tribal)

Colorless: Kozilek, the Great Distortion (eldrazi tribal with superfast mana)

once upon a time, i actually did the 32 challenge. took em all apart eventually because wow dude that's too many decks

but here's what i had. bolded names are decks I still have:

Boros: Iroas, God of Victory (double-strike tribal with every extra combat step card)

Sultai: Sidisi, Brood Tyrant (zombie tribal with hilarious mill-myself-forever combo)

Temur: Animar, Soul of Elements (first it was all creatures, and that was absolutely bonkers. then it was morph tribal, and that was only less bonkers)

See, part of me worries that if I actually went through with it that would happen to me. Another part just enjoys making up deck lists and I can very realistically not even bother making them.

Curious, how did the Sultai Zombie list work out? I've considered it, but feel like mono-black will be able to do most of what BUG does.

As someone with an Animar list with nearly all creatures, yea, the deck can get VERY stupid. That and Karador are my main two EDH decks. Or at least the two I think are the strongest.

Your Iroas build is pretty much the build I ended up going with. Curious if you'll give some feedback on mine since I feel like it can be made a little better.

http://i.imgur.com/uZovkYn.jpg 1/2

http://i.imgur.com/n9hP3R3.jpg 2/2

Hope you don't mind this being how I share the list. I'm super low tech and just have a paint doc with my lists since I find it the easiest way to look through my decks when I make changes.

See, part of me worries that if I actually went through with it that would happen to me. Another part just enjoys making up deck lists and I can very realistically not even bother making them.

Curious, how did the Sultai Zombie list work out? I've considered it, but feel like mono-black will be able to do most of what BUG does.

the spin sultai gives to zombie tribal is being able to mill things like wonder to make your zombies fly and gaea's blessing (i guess you could use an eldrazi titan but at the time they were like 40 bucks still no thanks) to reshuffle your graveyard when you're using mesmeric orb and basalt monolith to mill yourself forever. doing it this way creates a number of cards hitting the grave triggers equal to the number of cards hitting the grave, so you get basically however many zombies you want off of sidisi. at the time, i didn't have gaea's blessing either, because frankly i didn't know the card existed. so it was a fun all-in kinda deck that had to rely on elixir of immortality instead, and if i milled that, well... hope my 40+ flying 4/4 zombies will do the job before my lack of deck does me in.

Archived