The Command Tower (EDH Hangout)

bury the year

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Since there are more peeps here than in the skype group, http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/07-02-17-silas-and-reyhan/

I can't really think of any changes besides adding a Doubling Season, but I don't really know what to cut. Also maybe some sac outlets to enable Reyhan more.

I have never been a fan of Spawning Pit; I always feel like you never get enough bang for your buck with it, there are better sac outlets. 

Crazy as it seems to say, that cost of 1UUU on Cryptic Command is actually really hurtful to a 3-color deck. I don't know if I would remove it but it's definitely one of the harder cards to reliably cast.

Weaponcraft Enthusiast seems somewhat weak. 2 extra counters on board for 3 mana, and that's really it.

Since there are more peeps here than in the skype group, http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/07-02-17-silas-and-reyhan/

I can't really think of any changes besides adding a Doubling Season, but I don't really know what to cut. Also maybe some sac outlets to enable Reyhan more.

C O R P S E J A C K M E N A C E

Absolutely necessary in any +1/+1 deck that's in the colors.

EDIT: Also, Death's Presence.

• 3 weeks later...

STAGE DIRECTION: "As My Wallet Gently Weeps" is heard playing in the background.

New set released, so new topic. With MM3, it seems like a ton of previously-out of reach Modern staples will now finally be in a reasonable price range. Anyone picking stuff up? I know I am:

• One of each enemy fetch. The non-blue ones will join the allied fetches I have in Saskia, while the blue ones will hang out in my binder for future decks.
  • Cavern of Souls will go into Saskia, too. So many humans in that deck that I don't think I'll have difficulty using its second ability.
  • Finally, looking to pick up a bunch of staples that weren't on my radar before due to price. Venser, Cyclonic Rift, Phantasmal Image, Deadeye, and ScOoze are my primary targets, as well as one of each signet with the new art.

Anyone else?

Depends on how cheap they get. Given out insane the set is I imagine a lot more being bought so hopefully prices will be pushed down more than I'd expect. As for cards I'd like to pick up

Can always stand to have more Craterhoofs

Deadeye Navigator is a card I'm sure I'll need more of (though he was never that expensive)

I've actually needed Cyclonic Rift for some builds I'm planning so the price drop there is welcomed

I've always wanted to see if I can find a use for Phantasmal Image

Venser, Shaper Savant could be interesting in Animar as another counterspell option

Damping Matrix seem interesting

Cavern of Souls would be nice to get if the price drops enough

Can certainly use some fetches

• 2 weeks later...

I realized my Karador deck doesn't play any actual Wrath effects outside of Elspeth's Sun Champion and I'm looking to fix this. Was considering Sunblast Angel but ran across Magister of Worth and think its just better. Odds are if you want to wrath the board someone else will and as long as you have two votes you should be set. Not to mention Karador getting to bring back all its creatures will often be super good for you anyway. Thoughts?

Magister of Worth is a pretty good card. It's common in my meta, and you're usually playing at times where the table agrees with you on which effect to vote for. Sunblast Angel is also very good, though, particularly if you can flicker it. It makes opponents very wary of swinging out.

I would put the Magister in first, because it does let you kill stuff that doesn't attack, but both warrant testing.

Magister is almost certainly the correct pick, but Magus of the Disk and Mageta the Lion deserve mention.

Magus is best used if your playgroup is slow, giving you time to untap it, but once it is untapped it has an instant speed wipe ready to go. Killing itself is no real downside, because lolkarador.

I realized my Karador deck doesn't play any actual Wrath effects outside of Elspeth's Sun Champion and I'm looking to fix this. Was considering Sunblast Angel but ran across Magister of Worth and think its just better. Odds are if you want to wrath the board someone else will and as long as you have two votes you should be set. Not to mention Karador getting to bring back all its creatures will often be super good for you anyway. Thoughts?

The best wrath in Karador is False Prophet. With any sac outlet it makes a really one sided mass exile.

The best wrath in Karador is False Prophet. With any sac outlet it makes a really one sided mass exile.

When I was talking about it with a friend I think he brought up the Prophet, but I think it was more as a joke since it can really screw you over and that was why I'd never seriously thought about it. However the good old rule of "you can play around your own cards" reminds me that I'd never have it in play if it would seriously screw me over. That and the combination with a sac outlet hadn't fully hit me that it becomes a one-sided mass exile. It is harder to trigger than than the others, but if you have it its much stronger. This needs further investigation.

Speaking of, I'm trying to find more sac outlets for Karador. I think the full list I'm currently running is Alter of Dementia, Ashnod's Alter, Vish Kal and Grave (and Teysa to a lesser extent) and I'll get Phyrexian Alter at some point. Alter isn't cheap though and I'd like another sac outlet or two to add right now and I'm curious for ideas. I would prefer one that doesn't have an activation to use and is on a creature if possible. Most the creatures ones I've seen just pump themselves and that isn't super interesting so I'm not sure what to go for. Right now Blasting Station seems to be one of the more interesting ones.

There's tons of good ones in black, Carrion feeder, Viscera Seer, Bloodthrone Vampire, Dross Hopper, Nantuko Husk and all its functional reprints. There are a ton more in black too. Add white and you get Cartel Aristocrat and Ayli, green doesn't have much available to it.

Look through here and see what works.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&color=+!+![R]&type=+[%22Creature%22]&text=+[sacrifice]+[a]+[Creature:]

There's tons of good ones in black, Carrion feeder, Viscera Seer, Bloodthrone Vampire, Dross Hopper, Nantuko Husk and all its functional reprints. There are a ton more in black too. Add white and you get Cartel Aristocrat and Ayli, green doesn't have much available to it.

Look through here and see what works.

[url=http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&color=+!+!%5BR%5D&type=+[]http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Search/Default.aspx?action=advanced&color=+!+!%5BR%5D&type=+["Creature"]&text=+%5BSacrifice%5D+%5Ba%5D+[Creature:]

I know about those, I was just hoping for a more impactful effect. From the ones in the link Devouring Swarm for the evasion and Feeder for how cheap he is are likely the best of the pump options. Past that Plaguelord, Hypnotist, and Seer are the best for general affects. None of these have the pop I was looking for, but I guess for now this is more or less my best choices for the creatures. Totally possible Amonkhet will bring something sweet to use though.

Archived