The Command Tower (EDH Hangout)

bury the year

So, as I have mentioned, my meta is very combo/control oriented, with both sides making use of artifacts either to speed up their own game or stifle the opponents'. Now, my question is, what would be the best artifact removal to run? I am already running Vandalblast (because in any format with mana rocks it is an easy blowout) but what else would be good?

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, there are tons of awesome options in green, but when stuck in UR, sometimes an artifact (or worse, enchantment...) hits the board and the only response is "...fuck."

Just found Shattering Pulse, it seems really good. It is 2 mana more per destruction, but unlike Heretic, it doesn't get taken down by removal, have an initial casting cost, ir suffer from summoning sickness. If need be, it can also just be used as a Shatter.

Yeah, there are tons of awesome options in green, but when stuck in UR, sometimes an artifact (or worse, enchantment...) hits the board and the only response is "...f***."

Just found Shattering Pulse, it seems really good. It is 2 mana more per destruction, but unlike Heretic, it doesn't get taken down by removal, have an initial casting cost, ir suffer from summoning sickness. If need be, it can also just be used as a Shatter.

Shattering Spree may also be up your alley.

so apparently game-winning cards that don't flat-out say "win the game" are unfair

kek

My lgs had an annoying "no infinite combo" rule, and i had an extensive argument with them stating that curiosity+niv is not infinite. Eventually I gave up and just formed a separate league from the shop's with a custom banlist and a few cool house rules (notably a special mulligan rule)

Into the Core seems like one of the better red artifact removal cards. I doubt you ever need to kill more than two of them when comparing to Shatterstorm, and you're likely to want to save your own. And it's instant speed. And it kills Darksteel Ingots, and doesn't trigger Spine of Ish Sah.

Naw, just poking fun at how Rodrigo forbid me to play Ephara because I run Torpor Orb and Humility there :3

...have him play around it, then? Throw in Hushwing Gryff for good measure. #wantstoseetheworldburn

Commander Volt and SpawnOfThraxes (do either of y'all have a more preferred name?), added. Wanna post your deck lists so we can get critiquing?

...have him play around it, then? Throw in Hushwing Gryff for good measure. #wantstoseetheworldburn

Commander Volt and SpawnOfThraxes (do either of y'all have a more preferred name?), added. Wanna post your deck lists so we can get critiquing?

You can call me Raeg.

As for my decklist, sure, but it won't be now.

Volt is plenty fine, please go with that if you'd like.

my Keranos EDH is actually on YCM already albiet... from quite a few months ago.

For my own and everyone else's reference.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/keranos-edh-raegs-build-not-my-own/

Let's see, stuff I'd cut...

Divination, Flame Slash, Lightning Bolt, Magma Jet, Quicksilver Dagger, Unsummon - These may be good in faster formats, but the scale of the format means I wouldn't want to see such low-impact spells on turn 15+.
2-3 lands - You have 10/11 pieces of ramp (depending on how you count), which means you can go down to as low as 35 lands without feeling the heat.

Suggested stuff I'd add:

Cackling Counterpart, Clever Impersonator, Dack's Duplicate - Clones are good wincons in Izzet builds from my experience, since similar builds often have few outright game enders of their own. These allow you to take your enemies'!
Turnabout, Reiterate - Not sure how you feel about comboes, but these two together produce infinite mana, which combined with something like Comet Storm or Blue Sun's Zenith can kill players outright.
Rewind, Swan Song, Dissipate - More counterspells are never bad.
Epic Experiment - You have enough instants and sorceries, so why not? :'D

That isn't raeg, it is volt.
also, cackling counterpart can only clone your own stuff, so using it to take an opponent's win con makes little sense.

Anyway, these colors are my bread and butter. I will have a full review in a short time.

Please do. I would love to see the way you look at commander. Seems appealing.

Ok, here we go. Basically, I read through the list while jotting stuff down.

To start, Keranos is a control general. There is no two ways about it. Thus said, your picks should sway toward a control playstyle.
[Spoiler=Ravings of a mad izzet mage]
Commander's Sphere is a new mana rock that is simply incredible. Look into it.
if you can get one, get a top. Top is wonderful. Once you have top, cram your deck with fetchlands and play legacy.
wayfarer's bauble can be swapped for expedition map. The ability to find nonbasics trumps the acceleration.
Increasing Vengeance is an awesome card, but does not want to be in this deck. At all. It whiffs on a lot of stuff, and can be a depressing dead-draw. Similarly, both Past in Flames and Melek point to a combo win that simply isn't within your deck's capacity.
Get Hinder. Hinder is amazing
Divination can be cut for Mulldrifter, because reasons i will get to later.
The 1 drop cantrips, once again, are awesome, but want to be in a combo deck.
The Jace you are running is trash. Off the top of my head, Living Guildpact should be good, since he lets Keranos hit lands as often as possible.
Remember that time I recommended Mulldrifter? It is because you need Deadeye Navigator. You have SEVERAL great combos with it.
The Dracogenius is bad. I love me my Niv, but certainly not that one.
Mindwrack liege belongs in the weird tempo aggro thing back in shadowmoore, not here. If you want hybrid mana, go nucklavee.
Burnished Hart is amazing. Get burnished Hart.
Almost forgot: cut any burn that can't dish out at least 4 damage. It won't do anything useful.
[/spoiler]

Also, raeg, anafenza makes a sweet general. Gopher it.

Archived