The Command Tower (EDH Hangout)

bury the year

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a pretty wacky game the other night. I'm playing Ghave, the guy across from me is Krenko and the guy next to him is Sliver Overlord. I get a pretty good ramp start with sol ring and get cathar's crusade, doubling season, altar of the brood and parallel lives out with Ghave, making huge saprolings and milling for a ton. The krenko plays warp world before I can really go crazy and I end up getting 34 cards from warp world. The krenko guy, still with priority activates his fire marshal a few times doing 20 damage, enough to kill me an the sliver guy and him survive with 6hp. Before It resolves i ping him a few times with the blasting station I got from warp world and Ghave as a source of sac fodder for it. I do 6 points of damage to him and we all die to the fire marshal.

The next game the krenko gets a turn 2 bloodmoon and it was GG from there.

So, altar of dimensia is not to be underestimated. Playing against Teysa, and it is the reason I almost lost. The instant speed mill just about ruined Sensei's Divining Top, and made the whole game into me terrified of Darkest Hour resolving. Luckily, good guy ulamog was hit by the third mill, and I was able to combo out with curiosity and niv for the game.

Thoughts on Glen Elandra Archmage, in the (obvious) context of EDH?

Since activated ability counters are so much more rare than spell counters, being able to hit any spell for U with functional uncounterability is pretty sick. And then, you get to do it again! Not being able to hit creatures kinda sucks, but still, there's a good reason she hovers at around ~$7. If you're asking whether to use her or not, the answer's "yes."

Not sure how good Dark Confidant can be in this deck. He has lots of very high drops there. I was going to suggest Arena but he already runs it.

Well, overall it looks like a pretty solid deck.

With top and skullclamp, bob is great for him. Trying to convince him to swap avacyn for mother of runes. This would make bob even better.

With top and skullclamp, bob is great for him. Trying to convince him to swap avacyn for mother of runes. This would make bob even better.

"I have X in my deck, so Y won't hurt me as bad!" is not a valid argument, unless you have enough tutors to get X into your hand every game that you draw Y. Cut Confidant for Phyrexian Arena, Phyrexian Etchings or Underworld Dealings. All of those cards do the "life for cards" thing better.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/nin-the-face-zapper/

Also, my Nin deck is pretty much complete. Maybeboard cards are currently under consideration: Blasphemous Act and Soul of New Phyrexia simply are really good, while Grand Architect + Pili-Pala + Nin = someone's dead. I'd like some feeback, please.

As for how it plays, deck worked suprisingly well the last time I piloted it. Almost won off of Scrap Mastery + Mycosynth Lattice, but ended up misreading the table and went to kill last the person I should've aimed at first. They got enough lands to cast Merciless Eviction. ;=;

People at my LGS were complaining about Ghave. So I took it apart and build Jarad. I never really enjoyed playing Ghave, I just built it because everyone started playing combo decks. Most of the cost was a Crucible of worlds and a dive top.

• 4 weeks later...

So this club has been rather... dead lately. Let's fix that. (Heh, "dead.")

Here is a link to my most recent build, for Ghoulcaller Gisa. I'm still missing six cards and would like to fill those slots in. I'm trying to bring the creature count up to 28, preferably 29, so 3-4 of those cards should be creatures. (Being a Zombie is ideal and preferred, but not required.) The other two should be noncreatures. Any thoughts, anybody? See any holes in certain areas that need to be filled.

• 2 weeks later...

Fast mana - Caged sun (this card is ridiculous in a mono colored deck), Bubbling Muck, black market (lots of fun if you have some sac outlets), Nirkana Revnant (Kind of pricy) Vesuvia and Thespian's stage are nice too so you can copy your cabal coffers

Card draw - Skullclamp (I don't know why you are not playing this), atlar reap, skull tap, Erebos, Greed, phyrexian arena Necropotence (lol)

Removal/stax - Smokestack, attrition, Sheoldred

You could put Mikeaus in there too, he's an excellent black creature and ideal for any kind of stax strategy

• 3 weeks later...

Archived