The Command Tower (EDH Hangout)

bury the year

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my Sidisi list. Maybe I had fun with it because it didn't go infinite and it was a lot more all-in than other decks.

Yeah, I like your build a lot better than mine. Some of your choices puzzle me a bit, though. Never been a fan of Dralnu, Lich Lord because of that terrible drawback: I guess you can just keep him out of combat, but a single Blasphemous Act (which is really common in my playgroup) can ruin your day. For that matter, how effective is Grimoire of the Dead? It takes a while to actually do something, and in the meanwhile everyone will be gunning for you. At that point I'd rather just play Rise of the Dark Realms.

Some cards I found that did good work were Corpse Connoisseur, Lich Lord of Unx, Splinterfright, Sultai Ascendancy and Sultai Charm.

I like your inclusion of Kessig Cagebreakers and Bound//Determined, though. Those are awesome finds.

I don't have the two variants up on TappedOut yet, but I am toying around with using Jace, Vryn's Prodigy in a pair of EDH decks-in-scheming, one of them having an illusionary theme, the other having more of a psychic theme.

Good luck with trying to find one on a budget: nerd!Jace is $30 atm. Dunno what you mean by a "psychic theme," though. Do you mean spell-stealing stuff like Talent of the Telepath?

Yeah, I like your build a lot better than mine. Some of your choices puzzle me a bit, though. Never been a fan of Dralnu, Lich Lord because of that terrible drawback: I guess you can just keep him out of combat, but a single Blasphemous Act (which is really common in my playgroup) can ruin your day. For that matter, how effective is Grimoire of the Dead?

Grimiore is pretty good friends with Golgari Grave-Troll. Discarding him then dredging him back led to some pretty blowout plays sometimes.

Dralnu didn't do s***, tbh. If I rebuild the deck, he'll be the first to go in favor of something else.

Prophet of Kruphix and Havengul Lich were dirty together.

So, I've had it in my head to build a Keranos EDH, just to give him a home after rotation. The plan here is to have all sorts of scry and deck-rigging shenanigans to give a greater amount of control over his abilities.

With scry being given increasing amounts of presence, this deck might be increasingly easy to build. Maybe.

It is gonna cost a decent amount, but I recommend buying a Sensei's diving top. I played Keranos for a while, and top was the MVP. Plus, it will have utility in future decks.

It is gonna cost a decent amount, but I recommend buying a Sensei's diving top. I played Keranos for a while, and top was the MVP. Plus, it will have utility in future decks.

IMHO, when it comes to EDH, Crystal Ball >>> SDT. Being able to tuck cards you don't want to see is incredibly valuable. Plus, it's an infinitely cheaper option if you're building on a budget.

Good luck with trying to find one on a budget: nerd!Jace is $30 atm. Dunno what you mean by a "psychic theme," though. Do you mean spell-stealing stuff like Talent of the Telepath?

And I'd be willing to spend it if I can't get one via boosters any time soon. Seriously, the only Planeswalker I do have in real life is Jace, Architect of Thought and that's because of the Duel Deck pairing between him and Vraska (pretty sure he had a few nightmares after seeing into her head).

Top activates for only 1 mana, and can be used again if you shuffle. It is searchable by trinket mage, playable turn 1, and is part of arguably one of the best infinite combos in the format.

If you want budget, Crystal Ball is fine, but top is a better card.

You're undervaluing the ability to tuck cards here. Top is only better if you have a high enough density of those shuffle effects. Otherwise, you risk "Brainstorm locking yourself," in which you reduce your ability to see new options. This is exacerbated in singleton formats like Commander: in the 2014 Duel Commander major tournaments before SDT got banned, the average number of shuffle effects in any deck that took top-8 was less than 10. (Saw this stat on Reddit while previously researching this issue, but lost the page.) In multiplayer games, decks tend to run even less.

I would run SDT only in a heavily green deck, because green gives you land based ramping spells (ex. Skyshroud Claim), which can reset the Top. Anywhere else, I'd rather have the option to tuck away cards I don't need than have to see them next turn.

EDIT: And in multiplayer games, the difference between 1 and 3 mana doesn't matter much past turn 10.

Doesn't your point about how few shuffle effects were used before top was banned actually work against your point? It saw play everywhere, despite the relatively low number of shuffle effects.

Also, for a deck like Keranos, he is far better off with both.

No. That's more because the stats I used were from Duel Commander, where low CMC is much more of a higher priority. In multiplayer EDH - the more common of the two formats - keeping a low curve isn't as important, so higher CMC alternatives (like Crystal Ball!) are more viable. I'd quote similar stats for multiplayer if I had them, but formal multiplayer tournaments aren't exactly a thing.

But yes, Keranos should definitely run both if possible. Also Jace's Sanctum: it's a new card but it seems like one that any spellslinger build would want.

EDIT: Additionally, SDT wasn't initially banned from Duel Commander because of its filtering capabilities, but because it dragged games out and brought them to time. See here.

Ah, so it is banned for the same reason it and second sunrise are gone in modern. That makes a ton of sense.

A lot of this is just due to the differences in how games play out in our individual playgroups, to be completely honest.

And Jace's Sanctum is definitely an EDH bomb, gave a ton of power to my Melek deck.

Speaking of Origins EDH bombs, has anyone really gotten Pyromancer's Goggles to work?

I wouldn't say Goggles is a bomb in EDH as much as it is monumental value. Producing mana is good enough, but being able to double a Violent Ultimatum? Hell yeah. I'd throw this into any red deck I own with at least 10 spells that it can copy.

I forgot to mention I've thought about playing Omnath for a while. Ramp into giant Genesis Wave, win game?

Find a lot of draw power and mana sinks or that mana will just be sitting there forever. The few times I played Kruphix I had so much mana I didn't know what to do with it all when I ran out of gas.

ANOTHER TOPIC OF DISCUSSION.

What are new cards that you're excited to use from Origins?

Personally, I can't wait to try out Graveblade Marauder and Animist's Awakening. Leap I already know will work wonders in whatever BGx deck I shove it into, but I'm curious to see how Marauder and Awakening will fare in other places.

I played a copied Animist's Awakening for 36 the other day, after I dropped Avenger of Zendikar. It was gross.

Sword of the Animist is a home-run for EDH, I think we can all agree.

I've used Lili lite in Sek'Kuar to some good effect. I might try her out as a commander some time.

Sphinx' Tutelage will make Azami pretty nasty nastier.

I still need to secure copies of Alhamarret's Archive and The Great Aurora. Those are also EDH bombs.

Managorger Hydra is actually pretty nutty, especially in Tiny Leaders with Hardened Scales.

Archived