The Command Tower (EDH Hangout)

bury the year

Sword of the Animist is a home-run for EDH, I think we can all agree.

To be perfectly honest, I am not sold on it in green decks yet. On the other hand, I think it is an autoinclude in mono-red, where it is easy to trigger early on and the additional mana is needed.

Of course, green was far from excluded. They were given this little beauty:

0SrmfM9.jpg

This is amazing. It can do tons of awesome stuff, and worst case scenario will fetch Eternal Witness, which is an easy green staple.

• Replies 845
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be perfectly honest, I am not sold on it in green decks yet. On the other hand, I think it is an autoinclude in mono-red, where it is easy to trigger early on and the additional mana is needed.

Of course, green was far from excluded. They were given this little beauty:

0SrmfM9.jpg

This is amazing. It can do tons of awesome stuff, and worst case scenario will fetch Eternal Witness, which is an easy green staple.

I can't believe I forgot about this guy. I need a copy or two of him too, he's incredible.

I wish Bellower could get legendary creatures. Opening up the options of Azusa, Nissa, Edric, and probably more cards that slip my mind would be incredible.

Getting pretty much anything in Elfball save Craterhoof and Regal Force is a bit nutty, as well.

Grabbing Fierce Empath will subsequently grab either of those two.

It can also get Bellower. Hype as hell.

What are some other really good targets for Bellower that work in most decks? Reclamation Sage immediately comes to mind.

Wood Elves, Farhaven Elf, Scavenging Ooze, Sakura-Tribe Elder, Ohran Viper, Lotus Cobra, Birds of Paradise, Bloom Tender, Dryad Arbor, Fauna Shaman, Scryb Ranger, Quirion Ranger...

With multicolor: Qasali Pridemage, Trygon Predator, Knight of the Reliquary, Deathrite Shaman, Gilder Bairn, Voice of Resurgence, Kitchen Finks...

Tons of stuff!

Added~

To help our little Yui friend out, what are some hidden gems that you've found? One of my favorites is Reaper of the Wilds. It always draws more hate than it deserves, but if left unchecked it generates a ton of additional value. Scrying is such an undervalued mechanic in a game.

Hidden gems in what colours, exactly?

For starters, as something that can go in nearly every deck, Mind's Eye. Unless you're constantly curving out, which means you're going to get ganged up on by everyone else, in Commander you'd nearly constantly find yourself with open mana. Turn the excesses into cards as the others take their turns!

In Red, Guttersnipe is wicked powerful for an uncommon, especially if you build around it. You merely playing will result in constant group chip damage that will add up over the long turns if Guttersnipe continues to stay around unprotected, and eventually the 2's will add up and someone will be in a dangerous situation from it.

BFZ spoilers are on the horizon, with some of the cards spoiled already from the duel decks. How well do you think the new mechanics will work in EDH?

Devoid means jack squat in EDH, as the color identity rule still means that Dominator Drone can only be played in a black deck (for example).

Ingest is mainly an enabler for the other Eldrazi theme, "cards in exile matter" (as seen on Oblivion Sower). It's still decently powerful in isolation, though: being able to mess up the day of an opponent who just scryed or cast Mystical Tutor has its value. If I'm on the fence between a card with ingest and one without, I'll try ingest for a few games and see how it handles.

Awaken seems designed primarily to be a late-game mana sink for Limited. Outside of that, I don't see it getting much play. Both modes on Sheer Drop are overcosted, and the benefits of animating a land in EDH are outweighed by the risk of having it blown up by frequent creature removal. It may change, but right now the only commander I can see that would play any awaken spell is Titania (who encourages her lands dying).

Finally, we've already seen landfall and know what it can do. I wouldn't be surprised if they tone down the power on it this time around, though, to try to avoid the problem with ZEN limited (namely, it was way too fast).

What I'm really hoping for are more cool Allies. Veteran Warleader's an interesting spin on the mechanic other than the ETB triggers we saw the first time around. Still don't think they'll have enough board presence in EDH to be worth playing: however, maybe they'll finally break through in Modern? Who knows...

Devoid means jack squat in EDH

Just because it doesn't allow you to cheat color rules doesn't mean it isn't really really really good. Avoiding cards like Wash Out, synergizing with the two Eldrazi lands, and you can do silly stuff with cards like Spreading Plague. Also laughs at color-based protection. I really like Devoid.

Just because it doesn't allow you to cheat color rules doesn't mean it isn't really really really good. Avoiding cards like Wash Out, synergizing with the two Eldrazi lands, and you can do silly stuff with cards like Spreading Plague. Also laughs at color-based protection. I really like Devoid.

I would be hard-pressed to call it "really good." All those examples you provided (save Eye of Ugin) aren't terribly common or powerful, and without those interactions devoid has no inherent power. Unlike ingest, a card with devoid isn't any more compelling than its equivalent without, unless you're playing a critical mass of colorless critters.

Yet I digress.

Oblivion Sower could be cute in Oona decks.

Huh, never considered this. My friend's building an Oona deck last time I checked - I wonder if he's picked up on this yet...

LET'S REVIVE THE THREAD PLZ.

Anyone have any experience with Vorel of the Hull Clade, Jenara, Asura of War, or any GUx generals that focus on +1/+1 counter shenanigans? I'm planning ahead at my next deck, and that playstyle's caught my eye for a while, but I don't know how well it actually performs.

Jenara is better, imo, because you don't need to rely on it to win and she fills all necessary plotholes that UGx can fall flat off of. The buffing is impeccable and she is almost always relevant, even to punch through for a few points of damage if nothing is happening. There is not much need of synergy with this deck, as I would suspect, so most cards can easily just be powerful by themselves.

Jenara is better, imo, because you don't need to rely on it to win and she fills all necessary plotholes that UGx can fall flat off of. The buffing is impeccable and she is almost always relevant, even to punch through for a few points of damage if nothing is happening. There is not much need of synergy with this deck, as I would suspect, so most cards can easily just be powerful by themselves.

Was going for Jenara anyways, so I'm glad to hear that others agree with me. (Do have a Korean Vorel I want to use somehow, though.)

I know people tend to overuse the word "synergy," though, so I'd like a bit of clarification on what you mean here - this is a good point for discussion in of itself, anyways. When I think of the word "synergy," I think of cards that may not be spectacular by themselves, but when played alongside the theme of the deck get better. For example, Path to Exile is a "good stuff" piece of removal: Mutant's Prey, however, is more "synergy" removal in a +1/+1 deck. Am I reading you correctly by this?

EDIT: At this rate, I think I'll go with Gisa over Sidisi if I choose Jenara. Having two GUx commanders is a bit much.

Was going for Jenara anyways, so I'm glad to hear that others agree with me. (Do have a Korean Vorel I want to use somehow, though.)

I know people tend to overuse the word "synergy," though, so I'd like a bit of clarification on what you mean here - this is a good point for discussion in of itself, anyways. When I think of the word "synergy," I think of cards that may not be spectacular by themselves, but when played alongside the theme of the deck get better. For example, Path to Exile is a "good stuff" piece of removal: Mutant's Prey, however, is more "synergy" removal in a +1/+1 deck. Am I reading you correctly by this?

You are correct in what I am saying. I am referring to the deck not relying on synergy, but can surely use it if the person does want to. The deck operates with each card being powerful or as you call it, "good stuff" for the most part.

You are correct in what I am saying. I am referring to the deck not relying on synergy, but can surely use it if the person does want to. The deck operates with each card being powerful or as you call it, "good stuff" for the most part.

Okay, glad we're on the same page. For that matter, I think I'm more of a "synergy" builder rather than a "good stuff" builder: I like seeing weird niche cards being used to great effectiveness in this format, like the aforementioned Mutant's Prey.

And at this rate, I think I'll go with Gisa over Sidisi if I choose Jenara. Having two GUx commanders is a bit much, and Pharika's repeatedly bored me despite attempts at breathing new life into her. Zombie party, ahoy! I'll try to have decklists finalized for both by this weekend - thankfully Gisa's is mostly complete.

Okay, glad we're on the same page. For that matter, I think I'm more of a "synergy" builder rather than a "good stuff" builder: I like seeing weird niche cards being used to great effectiveness in this format, like the aforementioned Mutant's Prey.

I am not on the same page, there. But it is possible to make Jenara synergistic. I feel that she is much better at not, but that is just me.

Archived