Duel Portal Tournament

Flash Flyer - Sakura

Sounds like a good idea. Although it will be difficult to determine which cards/archetypes are suitable or allowed in each metagame. For example, I guess ROTA would be available @3 in this "competitive" metagame designed to rival BAs, Qlips, Shaddolls, etc. while in the "casual" metagame it may be healthier to set it @1; or maybe you don't want "casual" to be that balanced/slow and ROTA would be acceptable @3.

And that's only for the official cards. When players make their own, it may not be clear in which metagame they would fit best.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much like Konami, the only way we'll know if a card's going to be broken with other cards is through repeated testing.

We can compare them to existing things, and see if they'll go a similar way.

If there have been any problem cards this tournament, which ones?

From my experience, not too much has been problematic. From testing my recent nerfs with my archetype, nothing has been problematic. DAD and Dark Simorgh were making the matches as smooth as they were, and now I can't run either of those with the effectiveness I had before. I guess I had a perfect counter to Chaos Rogue's Deck via Hachi the Magical Crow, but I don't find the card to be enough of a problem because you have to guess right and know the Deck you are playing against. As for everybody else, I can't say I encountered any other cards this tournament that were absolute overkill. Then again, I have been pretty dominant so maybe I can't say too much there

You could always post your sets in the normal sections after the tournament, so we get an idea of what you were using.

But yeah, there will be some Decks you can beat, and others that will stop you cold.

It's impossible to design counters for every threat you need to deal with, but least figure out a way to lessen such an impact.

If there have been any problem cards this tournament, which ones?

From my part:

- "Poker Joker Yarliqueen" became a problem because it gave decks a boost of speed by using power Spells twice in a single turn. I will slow it down after the tourney with a clause that prevents it from copying a Spell/Trap that was sent to the grave in the current turn.

- "Mercenary the Black Chain" puts a lot of pressure by searching "Fiendish Chain". I would say it is as good as Myrmeleo -> BTH, and I believe most of us here know how annoying that can be. I intended it to be this way, but after playing it, it doesn't feel fair anymore. Depending on the power level of the metagame we want, I may request a hit on either this or Fiendish Chain (the latter because Breakthough is available, and Black Chain can still search for other cards).

I would bring up cards from other players but I don't want to call them out, plus I have already discussed with a couple of them the issues I found in their cards and they are now working on them, so I don't see the need of pointing out the flaws in their cards publicly.

From my part:
- "Poker Joker Yarliqueen" became a problem because it gave decks a boost of speed by using power Spells twice in a single turn. I will slow it down after the tourney with a clause that prevents it from copying a Spell/Trap that was sent to the grave in the current turn.

- "Mercenary the Black Chain" puts a lot of pressure by searching "Fiendish Chain". I would say it is as good as Myrmeleo -> BTH, and I believe most of us here know how annoying that can be. I intended it to be this way, but after playing it, it doesn't feel fair anymore. Depending on the power level of the metagame we want, I may request a hit on either this or Fiendish Chain (the latter because Breakthough is available, and Black Chain can still search for other cards).

I would bring up cards from other players but I don't want to call them out, plus I have already discussed with a couple of them the issues I found in their cards and they are now working on them, so I don't see the need of pointing out the flaws in their cards publicly.

I personally felt untouched by Mercenary really, and usually if I got hit I just Xyz'd the monster that got Chained. While I can see your point, I think it's much less dangerous than getting Bottomless Trap Hole because Fiendish Chain, at least IMO, is much easier to play around, especially comparing turn 1 plays. At the very most, I could see each to 2 if only because other Decks exist.

Like I noted earlier, you can let all of it out after the tournament, preferably in the DP area thread. 

Although I didn't enter (obviously I cannot, due to knowing your Decks + hosting this), looking at my stuff, they spam more than Blackwings + others do (and that says a lot).

Might need to tone those down also.

Like I noted earlier, you can let all of it out after the tournament, preferably in the DP area thread. 

Although I didn't enter (obviously I cannot, due to knowing your Decks + hosting this), looking at my stuff, they spam more than Blackwings + others do (and that says a lot).

Might need to tone those down also.

Understood. Since you made the question I quoted here in this thread, I thought you wanted the answer(s) to be posted here as well.

And sure, I'm waiting for the tourney to end to post feedback on the main DP thread, or possibly a separate "DP metagame" thread.

Considering the normal thread's in Casual, just place it over there.
Suppose we could have a subforum for DP-related (or DevPro) matters like how TCG does.

I'll have to see how Nai feels about it though.

It would be a fantastic opportunity actually. It would open up things such as discussions on tech cards we found made by others and discussing them, among other things such as the obvious Metagame call! However, I'll leave you and Nai to make the call

Archived