Duel Portal Tournament

Flash Flyer - Sakura

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If that's the case, reason why I'm not on DP is probably because of other things (essentially with that MMORPG on another site I was on during my YCM absence in 2012 and bulk of 2013) and for downtime reasons on DP.

I don't know, however.

That being said, I most likely have to tone down my Deck on it; probably comparable to that of Blackwings or some other swarm Deck (maybe worse).

Based on win-loss record, Noel is the winner with 20 points and a 10-1 record.

Voltex has a 9-2 record, also 20 points

Self-Destruct Button has a 9-2 record also + 20 points, though Voltex got a point in a match against someone he tied against.

I have no idea how that part works, but yeah.

Trickster's 4th place, also 9-2, but he had some 2-1 matches, so the opponent's point thing took a beating on him.

http://challonge.com/ycmdpt/standings

Based on win-loss record, Noel is the winner with 20 points and a 10-1 record.
Voltex has a 9-2 record, also 20 points
Self-Destruct Button has a 9-2 record also + 20 points, though Voltex got a point in a match against someone he tied against.

I have no idea how that part works, but yeah.

Trickster's 4th place, also 9-2, but he had some 2-1 matches, so the opponent's point thing took a beating on him.

http://challonge.com/ycmdpt/standings

EDIT: Misread.

Anywho, congrats to Noel, Voltex, and SDB!

I think Voltex won that match over SDB, so that's why he got second in terms of the ranking. 

But yeah, congrats to the winners.

I haven't exactly thought out any prizes (well Nai and I didn't), but I suppose reps are a good one for now.

An award logo might be appropriate too, but let's just see.

I think Voltex won that match over SDB, so that's why he got second in terms of the ranking.

But yeah, congrats to the winners.

I haven't exactly thought out any prizes (well Nai and I didn't), but I suppose reps are a good one for now.
An award logo might be appropriate too, but let's just see.

That would be nice. Even just having 1 set put together a format or something would work for these in the future

Since one of you made a DP Meta thread, might be good to separate the two styles; considering that was a factor here.

Might be a pain in the ass though to record scores for two separate tournaments, but we'll see.

I should release my Psychic Dragon stuff; though I'm going to have to edit them a bit, considering they are like Blackwing 2.0.

Tiering-wise, probably 1.

Since one of you made a DP Meta thread, might be good to separate the two styles; considering that was a factor here.

Might be a pain in the ass though to record scores for two separate tournaments, but we'll see.

I should release my Psychic Dragon stuff; though I'm going to have to edit them a bit, considering they are like Blackwing 2.0.
Tiering-wise, probably 1.

We're to be deciding if we for sure want the split. After recent discussion it seems like not as many as we hoped would be interested. However, we could see and I guess I'll mention it here that replies to the bottom discussion are important and much appreciated for everyone to go over

As some of you mentioned here when resigning, the difference in playstyles between stuff designed for today's creep and earlier things was a factor in some cases.

I'll go make a comment in that thread afterwards.

Prize-wise, this will be how the reps go.

1st - Noel - 3 reps

2nd - Voltex - 2 reps

3rd - SDB - 1 rep

I don't know if you guys had tournaments on DP before this (given I never bothered to look in that thread until a month/so ago after getting computer to install Silverlight/Pipelight).

But if this is the first one, then indeed it is a milestone.

Guess an award to mark it really is appropriate.

Just wait a bit while I work on the awards.

EDIT: Here ya go, guys.

53qf54n.png

IOc8kof.png

jDX4jbB.png

Congrats to the winners. Mirage Guardians deserved the first place in my opinion. I did lose against them, and perhaps they were a bit abusive with their playstyle, and yet I had a lot of fun fighting against them. Really, they are one of my favorite DP archetypes.

EDIT:

Here is the deck I submitted to the thread:

[spoiler=Decklist]

Monsters: 17
3 Dark Master - Zorc
3 Doomknight of Darzorc
3 Druid of Darzorc
3 Abysswalker of Darzorc (formerly "Mercenary of Darzorc")
2 Mercenary of the Black Chain
3 Necromancer of Darzorc

Spells: 11
1 Book of Moon  
1 Madness Circle of the Dark Master
3 Mystical Space Typhoon
1 Raigeki
3 Reinforcement of the Army
1 Revival of the Dark Master
1 Soul Charge

Traps: 12
1 Blast with Chain
1 Bottomless Trap Hole
1 Compulsory Evacuation Device
2 Concealed Circle of the Dark Master
2 Fiendish Chain
1 Skill Drain
1 Solemn Warning
1 Torrential Tribute
2 Vanity's Emptiness

Extra:
1 Castel the Avian Skyblaster
1 Daigusto Emeral
1 Devourer of Unfortunate Souls
1 Divine Dragon Knight Felgrand
1 Evilswarm Exciton Knight
1 Evilswarm Nightmare
1 Hachi the Magical Crow
1 M-X-Saber Anu Fullknight
1 Number 101: Silent Honor ARK
1 Number 82: Heartlandraco
1 Number 85: Crazy Box
1 Poker Joker Yarliqueen
1 Reaper Princess - Mithra
1 Sword Mistress of Phantasm
1 Trap Engineer Vivyzian

Side:
1 Mercenary of the Black Chain
1 Blast with Chain
2 Different Dimension Ground
1 Dust Tornado
1 Eradicator Epidemic Virus
1 Full House
2 Light-Imprisoning Mirror
2 Mistake
1 Skill Drain
1 Soul Drain
2 Wiretap[/spoiler]

I mained the Emptiness because you can't go wrong with stopping Special Summons; and sure enough, it did a lot of work vs. a couple of decks. In my opinion is a more of an staple than a side-Deck card, and shouldn't hurt to go as far as to main 3 copies.

1 teched Skill Drain because in theory it works well with Crazy Box and the deck has no problem with summoning Zorc through Spell/Trap effects, but in practice it hurt me more than the opponent.

Light-Imprisoning Mirror was useless in this tournament.

I sided in the Mistakes once or twice but didn't draw into them and thus couldn't test them. But the deck itself did a lot of searching with Merc, Doomknight and Abysswalker so it most likely would have affected itself.

I'm just glad I got to show off my cards and had as much success with them as I did.

And I'll bite: here's the deck list I used (to find my custom card thread just click the link in my sig.)

[spoiler=Deck]
2 Ancient Steamer
1 Big-Boy Steamer
1 Breakdown Train

1 Cab Front Steamer

1 Fairlie Steamer

2 Freight Train Car

2 Mountain Steamer

2 Passenger Train Coach

2 Shay Steamer

2 Tank Steamer

2 Train Caboose

1 Train Conductor

2 Train Hobo

1 Train Robber

1 Western Steamer

-

1 Busy Station

1 Cow Catcher

1 Crowded Platform

1 Mystical Space Typhoon

1 Roundhouse

1 Shunting

2 Snow Plow

1 Soul Junction

1 Steam Up

1 The Lost Spike

1 Train Wreck

-

1 Broken Coupler

1 Buffalo Safari

1 Engine Explosion

1 Magical Cylinder

1 Mirror Force

1 Parlor Treatment

1 Retrofit

2 Siding Switch

1 Ticket Punching

1 Crane Steamer

1 Mist Train

1 Damnation Train

1 Redemption Steamer

1 20th Century Train

1 Daylight Steamer

1 Driven Passenger Train

1 Garratt Steamer

1 Mallard Steamer

1 Merci Train

1 Scotsman Steamer

1 Tram Train

[/spoiler]

Gratz to the winners. As suggested, I'll give my decklist aswell.

[spoiler='Decklist']

Main Deck:
Monsters: (21)

2x Spirit of the Sky Conquerors

2x Tour Guide from the Underworld

1x Scarm, Malebranche of the Burning Abyss

3x Vamp of the Sky Conquerors

2x King of the Swamp

2x Lance of the Sky Conquerors

3x Shard of the Sky Conquerors
3x Flare of the Sky Conquerors
2x Angel of the Sky Conquerors
1x Black Luster Soldier - Envoy of the Beginning

Spells: (12)

2x Reinforcements of the Army

3x Mystical Space Typhoon

3x Polymerization

1x Super Polymerization

1x Raigeki

1x Book of Moon

1x Flash Fusion

Traps: (7)

1x Bottomless Trap Hole

1x Compulsory Evacuation Device

1x Solemn Warning

1x Mirror Force

1x Threatening Roar

2x Vanity's Emptiness

Extra Deck: (15)

2x Bloodscythe of the Sky Conquerors
1x Thornpike of the Sky Conquerors
1x Aegis of the Sky Conquerors
2x Breaker of the Sky Conquerors
2x Lightblade of the Sky Conquerors
1x Frostfangs of the Sky Conquerors
1x Ghostrick Alucard
1x Castel the Avian Skyblaster
1x Armades, Keeper of Boundaries
1x Number 17: Leviathan Dragon
1x Hachi the Magical Crow 
1x Trap Engineer Vivyzian 

Side Deck: (15)
2x Betrayal 
1x Dark Hole
3x Flying "C"
3x Maxx "C"
1x The Transmigration Prophecy
2x Fairy Wind
3x Black Horn of Heaven[/spoiler]

As Voltex already mentioned, Vanity's Emptiness made for an awesome Trap in the format. It worked against every single Deck and was almost never a deathdraw - i only drew it once when my opponent already was set. The Flash Fusion was a bad choice, it was always a deathdraw and never worked out - while it seemed nice on paper. The Tour Guide Engine worked, the BLS won me 3 games (i think) and my personal MVP of non-Archetype cards was Book of Moon. The sheer amount of utility this card provided was absolutely stunning - from Battle Protection to stopping Xyz plays, Book of Moon does it all. The side deck was kinda random, Fairy Wind was very good against IceBurn and Black Horn would have been good against a lot of decks, I never drew it though. I sided in Maxx "C" against Mirage Guardians which was propably my death - I drew 2 of them and couldn't really make use of them at all, so I ended up setting them for defense while my opponent could just create ridiculous advantage and beat me down with ease. Other than that, it was running quite good, especially the Trap Lineup won me a lot of games.

I suppose I'll join in the trend and post mine. I made several changes since then, which I have left in the actual DCR thread, but here is what I ran this tournament:

[Spoiler Decklist]

Monsters: 28

3 Grandmaster of the Darkness

2 Dark Ghoulungulate

2 Alector, the Dark Sovereign

2 Abyssleed of the Dark

2 The Venus of Dark

2 Dark Grepher

2 Dark Manju

2 Dark Senju

2 Sonic Dark Bird

2 Spirit Charmer of Shadows, Dharc

Plaguespreader Zombie

Dark Anchor

Shaddoll Beast

Lich Lord, King of the Underworld

Dark Armed Dragon

Dark Simorgh

Caius the Mega Monarch

Spells: 12

3 Dark Ceremony

2 Dark Ceremony 2

3 Darkness Invitation

3 Preparation of Rites

Reinforcement of the Army

Extra Deck:

2 Poker Joker Yarliqueen

Castel the Avian Skyblaster

Number 101: Silent Honor ARK
Evilswarm Exciton Knight

Trap Engineer Vivyzian

Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon

Hachi the Magical Crow

Constellar Ptolemy M7

Dark God Destroyer

2 Fiendish Joker

Void Ogre Dragon

Chevalier de Fluer Sombres

Dragocytus, the Impure Underworld Dragon

Side Deck:

3 Necro Plasma

2 Gorz the Emissary of Darkness

Dark Ghoulungulate

3 Book of Eclipse

3 Dark Crystal Sealing

Devourer of Unfortunate Souls

Abyss Dweller

Dark Dragon Assailant - Trident

[/spoiler]

I was usually on the other end of the Vanity's Emptiness, folded twice instantly to it :( Tbh tho I deserved it. Thanks to the nerfs, a bit of this changed, but a few things I'll note:

- Necro Plasma was basically a hand trap that acted as a Majesty's Fiend for 1 type for a turn. The person who made it was going to upload it, I made my own private copy with permission of course, but it was never made public, so I dropped it. I only tested it once, and it did well, but the other time I had it, it was a dead draw. I ended up trading these for Shaddoll Fusion + Winda

- The Dharc/Grepher engine worked fantastically, got the setup going really quickly and assuring those Poker Jokers when I didn't have Grand. Not sure if there is any other Deck that could really utilize Dharc, but hey, if you can run it, I highly recommend it

- I never got to use Book of Eclipse because I never drew it, but I had situations where I really wanted it, so I suppose it's worth the note.

- Caius I had a hard time drawing, but when I did get him, he put in WORK! The double banishing was killer against certain Decks, and I think in general it's just one of those cards that, if you can efficiently run it, (For which unfortunately there are few) do it.

- Trident was just very bad. It would be ok if it wasn't Level 7, but it's Level 7

- Dark Crystal Sealing I drew into a lot actually, and I actually opened with it a few times, allowing me to go first without falling behind. I think Darzorcs would actually love it, using their own boss as a way to seal off a Spell or Trap or 2.

Keep the train going.

[spoiler='Decklist']

Monsters
1 RDMD
1 Tidal
1 Redox
2 Mythic Water Dragon
2 MG Basilisk*
2 MG Therion*
3 MG Hydra*
3 MG Wyvern*
3 Ethreal Knight*
Spells
2 ROTA
1 Sarc
1 Foolish
2 Instant R4
3 Trade-in
2 MST
2 Leyline of Mirage*
Traps
1 BTH
1 TT
1 CED
2 BTS
3 Mirage Life*
1 Warning
ED
2 Noden
1 Dweller
1 Chain
1 Emeral
1 Exciton
1 Ethereal Paladin*
1 101
1 Big Eye
1 Sack
2 MG Yggdrasil*
2 Felgrand
1 MG Glasir*

Sry for the short names of many cards, just too lazy to type their full and I think it's noticeable if you have played YGO for a while.

[/spoiler]

Description? just think of them as... hmm... DP's Mythic Ruler. Their Main Deck monsters can be divided in 2 groups based on what they do, the Floating one and the Engine one. The floating one will have their effects go off when they are banished, which started by return themselves to the Graveyard, then somehow go for a plus. The engine one are capable of swarming any MG monster, mostly and preferably the floating one, then place a condition which will have the SS'd monster banished when it would leave the field/would be sent to the Graveyard as Xyz Material, or both in case of our boss monster. But throughout the tournament, I found out that most of the time those Xyz (especially Glasir) are just winmoar, since the floating one that can be easily SS'd each have huge 2600-2800 body, and that's enough to win the game. With the returning to grave after banished strategy, Dragon Rulers can be tech'd and go along with the Deck very well. I never tried all 4 since just 2 that can search off something through Sarc are enough imo, but it would be nice to see someone trying.

The after-tour nerf is quite harsh, now Knight only SS monster in Def Pos and thus lose the deck's beat nature. But I think it might encourage the use of Xyz and it's never bad to shift them from just winmoar to the proper boss.

As suggested in OP, 2+ copies of Imperial Iron Wall means the auto-lose of this deck, also Emptiness works quite great. I would have lose to Voltex if I didn't topdeck MST during our Game 3.

Out of fairness, guess I'll post the Deck I used in the test match against Have a Lovely Day / BailasGale.

Since then, there have been a few changes to the cards (whatever's not colored navy blue wasn't in the Deck, save for Regeneration).

Thread's at the bottom of the section if you all care to look and comment on them.

For brevity, I'll abbreviate Psychic Dragon as PD.

Idea is basically SS Psychic Dragon monsters and make Synchro/Xyz quickly if able to.

During the match, I didn't use much of the Extra Deck; most likely due to lack of recycling options and Lovely Day had a ton of backrow to combat.

After that match, basically toned down some stuff (because they were getting overbearing after a while).

Right now, DP's being stupid about the public option since I originally had them on private mode while I tested stuff; but I will try to get them public so you can try out the style for yourselves. 

Bolded is a new addition and was not present in the original Deck.

[spoiler=Decklist]

2 PD Airisu

3 PD Hero Shinri

3 PD Hikari

2 PD Kitana

2 PD Sakura

2 PD Satoshi

3 PD Serena

2 PD Shigeru

2 PD Takeshi

PD Tamer Wataru

1 REDMD

Dark Hole

2 Duality (Pot of)

2 PD Reflection

PD Regeneration

2 PD Suppression

2 PD Restoration

BTH

2 BTS

Mirror Force

2 Shinreiryu Gate

2 Shinreiryu Magic Deflection

Warning

Dark Rebellion Xyz Dragon

Exciton

107 (Probably don't need it now with Serena's nerf)

110 PD Scarlet Shocker

26 PD Supreme Emperor Ryukyu

PD Hakuryu

BRD

2 PD Prince Latios

2 PD Princess Latias

PD Emperor Arkeios

Star Eater

Stardust Spark Dragon

[/spoiler]

To add more on my deck's strategy:

The goal is to first take a Zorcs or 2 out of the deck as soon as possible before they end up a dead draws. For that reason, searching for Doomknight, the Ritual Spell/Trap searcher, as soon as possible is priority, and the deck has both ROTA and Abysswalker to do so. Then you proceed with the Zorc summons; even if they would come as vanillas with their effects locked, a beater was enough of a threat and it further punished the opponent for not removing it before its effect lock worn out. Also, with the Ritual Spell you had a free revival of Zorc as backup (this effect has been replaced, though).

Afterwards, with Zorcs on the field, you have 2 options:

1. Search Druid to get Madness Circle and enable Zorc pops without the risk of backfire.

If there is nothing to pop, then skip to:

2. Search Necromancer for follow-up Rank4 plays, or use her second effect to bring back a Zorc and possibly trigger Abysswalkers in the hand to get a search of another Necromancer. Usually I would go to these steps right after summoning 1 Zorc.

You had a bad starting hand clogged with Zorcs? Then you priority becomes into searching Druid instead of Doomknight as soon as possible and fix that up.

Why I only mained 1 Ritual Spell? Because the deck doesn't need more really. Normally, I believe Ritual Decks want their Ritual Spells at 2~3, but since Darzorcs only have 1 Ritual monster (3 copies of it), you don't really need that many. Also, the Trap proved to be more effective than the Spell, which is why I went for a 1-2 Spell-Trap ratio, ideally 1 for each Zorc. Still, a single copy of the Spell allowed me drop faster Ritual Summons and set Abysswalkers in motion if needed.

Basically, you could sum it up in the following steps:

1. Search Doomknight.

2. Ritual Summon Zorc.

2.1. Search Druid.

3. Search Necromancer.

Hand clogged with Zorcs? then:

A. Search Druid.

Power plays:

Doomknight --> Concealed Circle: Really, same formula as Hanzo --> Super-Transformation, except more consistent because Doomknight has another searcher in addition to ROTA, Abysswalker.

Ritual Spell + Abysswalker: Ritual Summon Zorc from the Deck while triggering Abysswalker to search Necromancer or Druid. Both cards are searchable by ROTA (Doomknight --> Ritual Spell) so this combo was not that difficult to set up.

Madness Circle --> Abysswalker --> Druid: A silly loop that allowed me to restore Madness Circle to keep the fixed dice roll effect and ATK boosts. It only worked as long as the opponent kept destroying the Field Spell.

Archived