Duel Portal Tournament

Flash Flyer - Sakura

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright then, your 2-0 win has been recorded.

For the moment, Trickster is in the lead because they've gotten half their matches done with already.

Just so you're aware, a perfect score in this tournament is 22 [assuming you go 2-0 in every match].

Some people still need to battle though.

I was defeated 2-0 by Chaos Rogue and 2-1 by TheTrickyTrickster.

I am woefully underwhelmed by my archetype's performance and I hereby drop/concede the rest of the tournament. If that means giving the rest of my opponents the win then so be it. 

Good luck to everyone else in the tournament.

HaveALovelyDay

What exactly happened in your matches?

Assuming things didn't quite go the same way as they did against me that night.

Anyway, I'll go ahead and mark your matches, including any future ones as forfeits.

Of course, you and UE would have to fight at one point, so will be a 0-0 tie in your case.

Win 2-0 vs. themonkespower/themonkeyspower.

And yeah, I simphatize with BailasGale/lovelyDay. There are a couple of decks out there that are a bit too overwhelming. If I remember correctly, the ones he faced are arguably the most problematic. But not all decks in the tournament are at that power level.

I know during the test match with him, my Deck essentially spammed a lot of monsters for Synchro/Xyz (I think either you or Vector Nightmare looked at it sometime in the past).

But he still won though [then again, both of us did have relatively spammy Decks to SS stuff].

Anyway, results updated.

And yeah, I simphatize with BailasGale/lovelyDay. There are a couple of decks out there that are a bit too overwhelming. If I remember correctly, the ones he faced are arguably the most problematic. But not all decks in the tournament are at that power level.

I think the problem is half of us made archetypes to match the current meta and the others made their archetype out of fun lower tier shenanigans. It really created a huge split between us all

I agree. I have seen decks that are arguably at the power level of Qlips, Shaddolls, Necloths or BAs. I guess some players get carried away by the powercreep.

Sad to see players withdawing. I know dealing with overwhelming decks is unpleasant, but it would be nice if we could keep it up to pinpoint the problem cards/decks by the end of the tournament, depending on their performance.

Well, that can always be discussed in the DP thread, as to what sorts of things you guys have encountered during this tournament, and what should be done.

Agreed. Though we should be good with trying NOT to burn Decks with fire. I say this cause it tends to happen with the current game, and I think this witch hunt mentality causes the chaos and crying about how this game has supposedly fallen apart. However, just a suggestion, maybe post-tournament we have a separate thread to discuss such? It would seem unfit to clog the DP thread between server issues and heated discussions about cards. The former seems much more important than the latter

Could just be a Duel Portal Metagame thread, which seems like a pretty good idea. Instead of raging about the OP-cards we can instead just discuss them or have a voting if they have to be nerfed or not - based on tournament experiences. That seems like a good way to create a (warning: lame set phrase) fun and healthy metagame, and a much more enjoyable environment than the original TCG sometimes has. That would require future tournaments and community participation, of course.

Could just be a Duel Portal Metagame thread, which seems like a pretty good idea. Instead of raging about the OP-cards we can instead just discuss them or have a voting if they have to be nerfed or not - based on tournament experiences. That seems like a good way to create a (warning: lame set phrase) fun and healthy metagame, and a much more enjoyable environment than the original TCG sometimes has. That would require future tournaments and community participation, of course.

I think we could all be down for that

Anyway, I'll go ahead and mark your matches, including any future ones as forfeits.

Of course, you and UE would have to fight at one point, so will be a 0-0 tie in your case.

My decks have all been getting stomped at DP except for one, for two reasons.  First, is that all but the one deck were pop culture decks that focused first on having effects which match the cards well and on effectiveness second.  2nd, is that I haven't been a big yugioh player since synchros came out and I consider the modern game to be very overpowered in ways that are highly detrimental to the fun of the game, so my decks are largely designed for a weaker game.

The one I used in the tournament is the strongest of my pop culture decks.  Against Have a lovely day though I had absolutely no trouble for two reasons.   One, is that his deck, while certainly quite creative and potentially devastating, does not really do anything at all to disrupt his opponent(unlike everyone else I've dueled).  My  deck seems to require a turn or two to build momentum and most opponents were destroying my monsters too fast for that despite my anti-attacking effects.  Two, is that I added a new card which I think I forgot to tell you about which has greatly improved my deck(so if you like you can disqualify me).

u3gl62R.jpg

I've gotten exactly one card review since I started posting on this forum.  I would gladly help others with their cards in exchange for help with mine.  If a DP metagame thread would somehow help with getting reviews then I'm all for it.  Someone link me if we make one.

i would propose that in future tournaments we have voted-for winners in categories like "most balanced deck" and "most creative deck", because with the current system it's sort of just like the winner is the loser. He's the guy who made the most OP deck.  

If this tournament turns out great, perhaps another one will be in the making.

But your idea is something we can take into consideration for future stuff.

I'm probably glad that I never entered this tournament + decided to just host things; can't really say for certain that my cards would be any worse than the current winner's (although I did have them reviewed by Voltex in the past; although certain cards weren't there at the time).

Suppose Lovely Day toned down the Deck a lot after he fought me that night; at that time, he had a good amount of removal and swarm capacity.

As for the reviews, we're considering some options but they've been tried/failed in previous attempts in the past.

Casual has a thread to request a review; Advanced does not right now.

Long story short my deck is old and is completely reliant on an initial combo for any kind of success. Said combo is horrifically open to interruption and if at any point it does get interrupted I loose. So basically here were the matches

Against TrickyTrickster:

Game 1: Went first drew no monsters, he set up completely overwhelming field presence. Like the little birds I used got stomped. 
Game 2: Side decked...discovered an accidental loop that was literally only capable of not being overrun because of sidedeck. And managed to come out on top. 
Game 3: He went first and basically set-up a lock and field presence and I lost. 

Things to note: Deck has no built in answers to overwhelming field. All answers to such would have to come from existing Konami cards.

Against: 7thSamurai/ChaosRogue
Game 1: Fun fact, the game glitch and it didn't show that he had an extra deck...therefore I took an awesome play opportunity and made it mediocre. Was severely punished for it once I saw he had Xyz plays. Therefore lost.
Game 2: He just had far better consistency than me and all of the right answers at the right time.

Things to note: only 2 cards that recover in the whole deck...just disgraceful

I will say that so far I've only seen ONE archetype I would call balanced and fair and it isn't my own. There are plenty that I find overzealous compensation of weaknesses where the only reason why these cards aren't destroying everyone's mood is because their makers are being nice and simply NOT using them to their absolute worse potential.

My decks have all been getting stomped at DP except for one, for two reasons.  First, is that all but the one deck were pop culture decks that focused first on having effects which match the cards well and on effectiveness second.  2nd, is that I haven't been a big yugioh player since synchros came out and I consider the modern game to be very overpowered in ways that are highly detrimental to the fun of the game, so my decks are largely designed for a weaker game.

The one I used in the tournament is the strongest of my pop culture decks.  Against Have a lovely day though I had absolutely no trouble for two reasons.   One, is that his deck, while certainly quite creative and potentially devastating, does not really do anything at all to disrupt his opponent(unlike everyone else I've dueled).  My  deck seems to require a turn or two to build momentum and most opponents were destroying my monsters too fast for that despite my anti-attacking effects.  Two, is that I added a new card which I think I forgot to tell you about which has greatly improved my deck(so if you like you can disqualify me).

u3gl62R.jpg

I've gotten exactly one card review since I started posting on this forum.  I would gladly help others with their cards in exchange for help with mine.  If a DP metagame thread would somehow help with getting reviews then I'm all for it.  Someone link me if we make one.

i would propose that in future tournaments we have voted-for winners in categories like "most balanced deck" and "most creative deck", because with the current system it's sort of just like the winner is the loser. He's the guy who made the most OP deck.  

I had plenty of disruptors just didn't draw them and by the time I did draw them I was already behind too much.  While that spell certainly helped with your victory, it was in no means the problem with the deck. 

If this tournament turns out great, perhaps another one will be in the making.

But your idea is something we can take into consideration for future stuff.

I'm probably glad that I never entered this tournament + decided to just host things; can't really say for certain that my cards would be any worse than the current winner's (although I did have them reviewed by Voltex in the past; although certain cards weren't there at the time).

Suppose Lovely Day toned down the Deck a lot after he fought me that night; at that time, he had a good amount of removal and swarm capacity.

As for the reviews, we're considering some options but they've been tried/failed in previous attempts in the past.

Casual has a thread to request a review; Advanced does not right now.

I didn't tone down a thing. I won because what disruptors I had showed up for that match and other than that Latias synchro you had no interruptors so I could combo with some kind of peace.

I will say that so far I've only seen ONE archetype I would call balanced and fair and it isn't my own. There are plenty that I find overzealous compensation of weaknesses where the only reason why these cards aren't destroying everyone's mood is because their makers are being nice and simply NOT using them to their absolute worse potential.

Out of curiosity, which archetype is that, if you don't mind sharing?

And regarding the latter, I must agree. Not going to lie, I have been guilty of it a couple of times. Although I want to point out that in this tournament my deck has been effectively pushed to its limits and used to its full potential.

To be honest, I used to think my "Zorc" deck was among the fairest decks out there in DP, but the fact that is has lost to only 1 deck in this tournament so far should mean that it is not as fair as I think it is.

Archived