Duel Portal Tournament

Flash Flyer - Sakura

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the Issue was pointed out perfectly by TheTrikyTrikster earlier, some of us made archetypes to match the time we played in, and some to match the current meta. What we would have considered broken in the past is balanced now, like Raigeki came back and Goyo simply because destruction effects got so much worse and cards that require battle to work aren't even played anymore. (Also referring to battle traps, Mirror Force at 3 and no one plays it, DPrison same to a lesser extent)

That being said, the Issue in a DP Meta thread would be that we'd have to decide what strength the meta we discuss about should be. If we say that we want to stick to Konami and make Archetypes to match theirs - which I have been doing to an extent in my tournament archetype - we'd get a really strong meta that would exclude the use of older cards and archetypes and would be deemed broken by older players. Though we would have no problem at sticking to a steady power level - unlike Konami, who have to sell new cards to make money, and in order to do that, make them more powerful. As we are not profit oriented, but solely here to have fun, we can keep said steady level of strength. That would, though, need to be decided in a voting or playtests or whichever method, I don't have really good ideas for that.

We neither want to create something that forces others out because their decks are not good enough and they don't want them better, and neither force others to overly nerf their archetypes they had so much fun with and that are up to a challenge for equally powerful decks. If that would be fixed by creating more than one meta is doubtful, based on the little amount of players we have compared to official tournaments. 

As for this tournament, I guess that most decks are on a level with each other, maybe some decks have 1-2 cards that are a bit too much (NOT excluding mine), but overall I - whereas this is my opinion, and does not have to be shared by others - enjoyed the tournament quite a lot so far, the duels against TheTrikyTrikster, -Noel- and Avaren (where I won 1 game with 300 LP left, while he had a way of burning me 200) showed me how close at least some decks are together. 

That's just my two cents on that matter, ignore it, approve it, comment it, do as you please.

I think the Issue was pointed out perfectly by TheTrikyTrikster earlier, some of us made archetypes to match the time we played in, and some to match the current meta. What we would have considered broken in the past is balanced now, like Raigeki came back and Goyo simply because destruction effects got so much worse and cards that require battle to work aren't even played anymore. (Also referring to battle traps, Mirror Force at 3 and no one plays it, DPrison same to a lesser extent)
That being said, the Issue in a DP Meta thread would be that we'd have to decide what strength the meta we discuss about should be. If we say that we want to stick to Konami and make Archetypes to match theirs - which I have been doing to an extent in my tournament archetype - we'd get a really strong meta that would exclude the use of older cards and archetypes and would be deemed broken by older players. Though we would have no problem at sticking to a steady power level - unlike Konami, who have to sell new cards to make money, and in order to do that, make them more powerful. As we are not profit oriented, but solely here to have fun, we can keep said steady level of strength. That would, though, need to be decided in a voting or playtests or whichever method, I don't have really good ideas for that.
We neither want to create something that forces others out because their decks are not good enough and they don't want them better, and neither force others to overly nerf their archetypes they had so much fun with and that are up to a challenge for equally powerful decks. If that would be fixed by creating more than one meta is doubtful, based on the little amount of players we have compared to official tournaments.
As for this tournament, I guess that most decks are on a level with each other, maybe some decks have 1-2 cards that are a bit too much (NOT excluding mine), but overall I - whereas this is my opinion, and does not have to be shared by others - enjoyed the tournament quite a lot so far, the duels against TheTrikyTrikster, -Noel- and Avaren (where I won 1 game with 300 LP left, while he had a way of burning me 200) showed me how close at least some decks are together.

That's just my two cents on that matter, ignore it, approve it, comment it, do as you please.

I would have to agree with this. Through my point of view, when I designed my archetype, I did a lot of testing on my own using YGOPro as a result of the people I know. While my matchups with the Decks I tested against were absolutely fair game, they were against Decks like Shadolls, tellarknights, and HAT. Despite this testing admittingly giving me a biased advantage, some of the things my Deck could do that were by no means THAT special in those matchups, they at times became at times a complete blowout in this tournament. Even Voltex, who knew my strategies and combos by HEART, had nothing he could do against what I had Game 2, with Game 1 ONLY being won because of Vanity's Emptiness. (Which every time it was flipped I instantly scooped to. F**k that card, seriously) Now I'm working on nerfing it to the point where I have to change the name of my archetype so a certain card I could search off of one of my cards (That wasn't even my own and only so happened to support the archetype) can no longer be searched. As much as I might be more of an extreme situation, it's still a call to have to have a discussion on what is actually necessary and what's realistic be done to balance the DP Metagame, especially if we are to have more tournaments soon. Yes, it will for sure help that some people will know a few side cards against the Decks they will be more susceptible too, but at the same time we need to know how or when to draw the line. I hate to be blunt but there's gonna be at least one of us left unimpressed or devastated by what happens as a result, but we have to accept that if we are going to prevent multiple dropouts or absolute blowouts from happening again. This is meant to be fun, not an internet brawl featuring card games

All results have been noted from last time.

@Have a Lovely Day: Yeah, lack of backrow + cleaning didn't really help.

I've since fixed that issue with adding new cards that can deal with that kind of stuff + retoning a few things here and there.

Probably would help if I go ahead and upload some Konami staples that would help a bit.

Out of curiosity, which archetype is that, if you don't mind sharing?

And regarding the latter, I must agree. Not going to lie, I have been guilty of it a couple of times. Although I want to point out that in this tournament my deck has been effectively pushed to its limits and used to its full potential.

To be honest, I used to think my "Zorc" deck was among the fairest decks out there in DP, but the fact that is has lost to only 1 deck in this tournament so far should mean that it is not as fair as I think it is.

that zorc deck is very powerful adn yet not really unfair.  unfair is trickytrickter's total negation of summoning or avaren's card that lets him prevent the destruction of his monsters seven times and then 7 more if he pays 1400 LP, or that guy with the rubble counters that he could remove the prevent the destruction of damn near anything. 

that zorc deck is very powerful adn yet not really unfair.  unfair is trickytrickter's total negation of summoning or avaren's card that lets him prevent the destruction of his monsters seven times and then 7 more if he pays 1400 LP, or that guy with the rubble counters that he could remove the prevent the destruction of damn near anything. 

Hachi only works on inherent Special Summoning. It's just a better Steelswarm Roach really, and not even my card btw. But for now, can we not try to call out everybody? Again, we aren't looking for a witch hunt, we are looking for worthwhile discussion.

A momentary comment from an innocent bystander.

I kind of wanted to join this tournament when I first saw it, and I had one and a half thoughts about the problems I see being noted:

1) Perhaps split into two tiers of power level? I think there's only "almost meta" and "old ygo" so that might be helpful in making it a better experience. The problem with this, of course, is that it might reduce population / interest / whatever.

1.5) Use the prior tiering system (just to make sure that the two pools aren't clouded by each other, so to speak), but a League system could be implemented to prolong activity in the off-time between tournaments to allow for balance discussion, tweaking, et cetera.

Anyway I'll definitely join one of these tournaments if (hopefully when!) there is another one; I would love to see my designs in action. I hope everything gets worked out!

A momentary comment from an innocent bystander.

I kind of wanted to join this tournament when I first saw it, and I had one and a half thoughts about the problems I see being noted:

1) Perhaps split into two tiers of power level? I think there's only "almost meta" and "old ygo" so that might be helpful in making it a better experience. The problem with this, of course, is that it might reduce population / interest / whatever.

1.5) Use the prior tiering system (just to make sure that the two pools aren't clouded by each other, so to speak), but a League system could be implemented to prolong activity in the off-time between tournaments to allow for balance discussion, tweaking, et cetera.

Anyway I'll definitely join one of these tournaments if (hopefully when!) there is another one; I would love to see my designs in action. I hope everything gets worked out!

I Don't know why we haven't came up with an awesome idea like this yet, totally support.

Archived