God Bless The King [OOC/PG-16/Started/Accepting]

Techi☺

• Replies 398
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great! I'll have a app up in less than 24 hours. Another question: is the magic in this RP relatively freeform? Is there any type of strict structure, or even limitations? I'm hoping for the latter to be honest. Can the basic follow a pre-existing form of magic from another universe?

Oof. Unfortunately this RP is incredibly free-form - so free-form that someone like Kane Underwood who totally ignores every aspect of the setting is apparently acceptable. I asked about the religion from the title - the God who's Blessing the King - and I got told to make it up myself. :'u Still, I understand where you're coming from, so I'll try and figure out what Gnorfiend's magic system is from what we've got so far. Remembering that this is all just my interpretation, here we go:

I think there's two forms of magic basically native to Gnorfiend, at least as far as I can tell from existing apps. Form A is your "common" magic, very intuitive stuff, used by everyday people. This is typically supplementary rather than a key focus: consider Luke Night, whose fire magic somewhat supplementary to his swordsmanship and werewolfiness, or Vellan, whose fire and dark magic supplement his martial arts. I guess this stuff is almost like bending; it's more focused around "manoeuvres" than involved spells. This stuff seems to be specialized around elements - perhaps that's because people have natural elemental affinities that they have an intuitive ability to manipulate?

Form B is academic magic - the really complicated stuff people have to go to school to master. That probably involves incantations, materials, and involved rituals, as opposed to common magic, which is very intuitive and is used naturally by most people in this world (as the setting info says). That's most likely for the complicated effects: very powerful spells, like Daphne's; very specialized spells, like Maia's; and very precise magic, which Maia's healing and Fayyad's alchemy fall into. That also requires a fairly intensive education to use. Probably the reason why normal people don't use this stuff is because it's such a roundabout way of getting magical forces to interact that it requires special training and materials to use. The material components for academic magic seem fairly involved. After all, tons of people are shopping at Fayyad's store for lots of obscure magical ingredients. Intuitive magic, on the other hand, seems to need no components whatsoever. Vellan doesn't seem to carry around a bag of herbs to burn up to use his fire spells (or at least I didn't see it on his app).

Obviously there's plenty of overlap - clearly Luke Night has a recipe in mind going into Fayyad's store. However, lacking an education, he obviously couldn't brew the potions himself - he needs Fayyad's skills for that. Probably you'd have the educated academic mages selling their services in some capacity to people who use magic more naturally. Be it clerics, doctors, and alchemists using their anatomical knowledge for healing; Fayyad selling potions to our band of adventurers; the Royal Mages protecting the capital from evildoers and errant magical phenomena; or, I imagine, your magical blacksmiths and enchanters (there's got to be some); academic mages can provide some complex magical effects to the "laymen." And said "laymen," if they use magic regularly, know what they need - so even Luke Night, who has only minimal education, still knows exactly what potions to pick up at Fayyad's store.

Balok's magic is a bit of an outlier. He probably got magical training from fellow clergy of Aither, so that'd be academic. It isn't as impressive or specialized as Daphne, Maia, or Fayyad, but that's proooobably because Balok also had to train in combat... if I had to guess. We could always ask ANBU directly :v

And then there's Kane, but I have no idea what his deal is. He was supposed to be "negating and inverting" the elemental properties of his spells, but apparently "negating and inverting" the elements of a fire spell still leaves you with a fire spell, and "negating and inverting" the elements of healing leaves you with... more healing? Well, whatever. He's from another dimension, so he's probably using a totally different system of magic. As for how he knew what was going on in Fayyad's store... I have no idea; I like to think he was just grabbing things that looked good off the shelves to experiment with later. :V

None of that is authoritative; it's just what I've inferred from reading over the setting info, apps, and events so far. Still, if you wanted some limitations, there's the framework as I understand it. I hope that helps, and I hope you can join us in our adventures~ :3

Thanks a million, that was a very informative post! I don't have a problem with freeform magic, but limitless magic is hard to overcome in most situations in my experience. Still though, I think this can be a pretty awesome RP. It does go both ways after all. Yet another question, are multiple characters allowed? (Siblings or allies) Also, what about animal companions? (Beasts upon which to travel) Just bouncing a few ideas around in my head, not all of the above.

Animal companions: sure, why not? Multiple characters: I don't think so; or at least, no one else has multiple characters yet. Fayyad has his son in his backstory, but not in-game, I think.

Re: limitless magic: Hrm, well, I think the magic of Gnorfiend specifically isn't, like, ridiculous. In terms of what it can do, freeform stuff is pretty much limited to elemental manipulation, and the other stuff requires time and materials proportional to its effects. Again, can't tell you about Kane, because I have no idea what his deal is. But he's doing... some other thing, so you don't need to worry about that.

Can't post today, obviously, but I'll wait and see what happens over the weekend. (For those who don't know, I'm busy running an IRL tabletop game on Fridays.) If you post your app later, G4hardcore, I might have time to look it over after the session is done; if I don't, I'll look at it tomorrow morning.

Posted. Kane in that post initially wants to get away from the shop since he was about to get tracked down but now...

From his home world, there's another one of him that accidently dropped by. Well, he was thrown off by his guardian first though.

I hope it's fine. If not, I'll change it a bit.

Sorry, I ran a late shift last night, and I'm going back in early tomorrow, but I'll have plenty of free time in the afternoon/evening to post. Whenever you get the time, I understand IRL hang ups but I try to do what I can when I can. Thanks for all the time and effort spent explaining the frame work of this RP, I think I can hang!

Alright, let's give this a try then. Nothing beats the ol' college try:

[spoiler='Rosalina Fireheart']

Name: Rosalina Fireheart (Preferred name: Rose)

Race: boring old Human

Appearance:

[spoiler='Appearance']

bb683ddd92.jpg

Rose's most distinctive feature about her feature is her amber-colored eyes. These eyes are noticeably darker than your usual colored eyes, singed with her blazing fighting spirit. Rose wears and sports very flamboyant, yet somewhat revealing, clothing. Her battle dress, which is colored red from the shoulders down to her pelvis, flows down in long droves and has multiple cut outs to allow herself to move freely in a combat situation. She also wears a golden crown on her head, adorned with several red strips to match the upper half of her dress. While not fond of jewelry, she wears multiple "bells" on her belt so that she can further show off her flamboyance and fashionable dress code. The bottom half of her dress is colored blue, to offset the characteristic red upper portion. The bottom of her blue-portioned dress is riddled with white hemming and red trim. This way, she can blend all of her colors together while still maintaining enough mobility for combat. While not necessarily a "garter-strap", she wears a sort of brace around her left thigh that allows her to sport more jewelry and more bells. She wears sandals and socks, perfect for agile movement while not being too heavy to restrict fast-paced combat.[/spoiler]

Personality:

[spoiler='Personality']If Rose were to be summed up in one word, it would be: enthusiastic. She loves fighting more than anything, and would stop at nothing to become the best warrior in the entire realm, no, the entire world if she were up to the task. With that being said, she's also nice and humble, without spilling too much into being arrogant and a try-hard. She prefers the mentality of "if you can get to them first, then they can't get to you". She's smart as a whip and is very aware of her surroundings, especially concerning the state of affairs concerning the realm or the kingdom. In combat, she prefers to be fluid and mobile, but also fight with the spirit of a hundred fires, hitting the enemy hard and fast while making a flashy escape, all while being cautious and thorough. From a non-combat perspective, however, when you get her to calm down after a hard ordeal, she is very very caring and compassionate, even for her foes. She can be very shy to people she's just met and isn't comfortable talking to, but her shy exterior hides a very kindred and fiery assertiveness that leaves no room for those that would slow her down or stand in her way. She is the kind of person that would put her friends first before herself. She has the curse of a big heart that is easily overshadowed by her aggressive and generally rough and jagged fighting style and spirit. At the same time, she doesn't believe in miracles or "it was just one of those coincidences". She believes everything happens for a reason, and that is why she fights so hard for those around her. She is not magically attuned, given her past situation with magic, and prefers not to use it, even going so far as to completely reject the constant mana streams around her and solely focusing on the more rigorous aspect of physical training.[/spoiler]

Biography: [spoiler='Biography']When Rosalina was young, she was surrounded by an older brother and three younger sisters, along with a "through-the-roof" kind mother and an overly distant but gentle father. However, when the older brother went off across the sea and never returned (presumed dead), it fell to Rosalina to take care of her three younger sisters when her mother and father weren't around. One day, when her mother and father were out running some errands, an anonymous group of bandits not from the area ransacked the child's house. Knowing that it fell to Rosalina to take care of the house, she tried to defend everyone to the best of her ability. However, when she became wound up and too hot-headed, the constant stream of mana flowed into Rosalina's body, which projected outward into a massive inferno. The resulting anger and hatred became a raging torrent of fire that burned and destroyed Rosalina's house, along with her three sisters. When she had awoken, the fire was already extinguished by numerous neighbors who were adept at water magic. However, the charred corpses of her three sisters flew her father into a frenzy, calling Rosalina a monster and a demon, spouting malicious words of "you can't protect anything" and "you're a worthless daughter". Immediately, the father banished Rosalina from the family, no longer considering them worthy of being part of their family. She felt regret and nothing but hatred for herself, blaming herself for not being able to protect those closest to her.

Rosalina then walked along the outskirts of the realm, searching for anyone who would be willing to take her in. But when stories and rumours appeared that she was the "girl that burnt her own family", she would be immediately rejected. This cycle continued for the next two years. It wasn't until then that a gracious and kind Grandmaster appeared before her. The Grandmaster would show her the proper methods of controlling her inner mana flow and the rite of combat with a spear, in exchange for giving her a roof over her head and food in her stomach. The Grandmaster was the closest thing Rosalina could ask for a second father, since she never had any contact with her birth family ever since the incident.

After she was fathered by her Grandmaster, she became interested in books, which gave her the smart and quick personality she has today. She would read for hours on end about how to channel magic effectively (but she still can't exactly "put it into action"). The Grandmaster also trains her almost daily on proper spearfighting. When Rosalina was asked on a weapon of choice by her Grandmaster, she proclaimed the spear to be the best weapon. "It has range, which is good for striking distant opponents who can't get to you with shorter weapons, like a shortsword or a rapier. Depending on the quality of material made, and the strength of the wielder, a spear can also be very light and fluid, which can even rival that of the fastest dagger," said Rosalina once upon a time. "And while it doesn't have the 'bladed edge' that I would like, it can be a very threatening weapon in the right and experienced hands."

She has repeated the training and mental exercises for the last nine years, becoming near-masterful at her weapon of choice. Today, however, she sets off on the next big step on her journey. Since traveling in the realm, she has heard of a fabled "Warrior's Guild" that would be willing to take her in. It would be the next step on her journey, a new chapter in her book, a new breath of life. But she was afraid of what was to come. The black lightning that shot out of the sky occasionally was a sign of something far more destructive, much more than her simple little "burning of a house down". This could very well mark the beginning of a new era for the world...and someone like Rosalina could very well play a major, critical role in it.[/spoiler]

Weapon: While not completely significant, the spear she holds has been a part of her training ever since she became fathered by her Grandmaster. Two sharpened blades on the end of it (that she made herself) give it more of a "trident" feel to it, but she still insists on calling it a "spear" because that is what she grew up with. The extra blades on the end give the end more weight, which means in general more punching power, at the cost of it being more sluggish. The red feather grip on the end of her spear though lightens the overall weight of the spear, making it easier to swing.

Magic: Rosalina prefers not to use magic since her childhood incident. However, since her training, her usual "go-to" to show that she is not completely abhorrent of magic is that she can snap her fingers together to create sparks, which then light up in the palm of her hand. However, since the overwhelming force of mana is too much, it takes a lot of concentration for her and it usually leaves her feeling light-headed, and even a little bit more mana would leave her collapsed on the ground.

OOC Notes: Rosalina's IC color. Italics to signify thoughts.

[/spoiler]

Let me know if I need to change some things or if some things don't make sense. I'll clarify as best I can and then change them according to what I've said. But like I said: it's the good ol' college try. I haven't RP'ed in about a good three months and what I have done in between then is small little things that haven't really impacted much. So I might be a little bit rusty, especially since coming from a forum that does things A LOT differently. It'll take me a bit of time to get used to the swing of things, but I'm hoping you'll be patient and understanding with me.

With that being said, this took nearly two and a half hours for me to do~ <3

EDIT: Also, apparently, my biggest challenge is also coming back and trying to re-learn Spoilers. ;-;

Katrina Marek [Spoiler=]

Name: Katrina Blodhreona Marek

Race: Elven Dhampir

Appearance: Standing at an unassuming 5 & a half feet tall, Katrina has the physicality of a woman who engages in regular exercise. 135 lbs., and of fair-olive complexion, her unique racial combination allows her to enjoys the rays of the sun without suffering combustive side effects. Long auburn hair frames her storm gray eyes, and on her right palm rests a silvery oval shaped scar. No other scars or marks mar her skin, despite her history of violence. Elongated canines give away her nature, though only if she bares her fangs or smiles. When channeling magic through her speech, her palm's scar glows moderately.

[Spoiler=]vampiress.jpg[/spoiler]

Personality: Katrina spent the first five centuries of her immortal life being raised by a dragon in the wilderness. Due to this, she is largely unlearned as to the ways humans interact with one another on a social level. Though she has knowledge of fine magic, personal conduct and combat, and of the history of her homeland, her experience is strictly limited at best. Rather formal with her words, Katrina is a straight forward woman with a strong sense of pride and honor. At times, she may tend to be strong willed to the point of stubbornness, and it is easy to see her actions as quite dark in nature. Regardless, she isn't innately evil.

Bio: Katrina is a long lived warrior with a complex past; living as an elven dhamphir, never has she come across one quite like herself in her travels. Her mother had tragically become a vampire while Katrina was still in the womb, bitten to save her own life, and by extension, the child's life; her father was merely a skilled mage. It was only many years after she was born that her elven traits began to surface, an unavoidable result of her coming across an egg and forming a bond with the creature inside: a silver dragon. As time passed, she began to realize that her connection with the beast of legend was changing her on a physical level. Her ears became tapered, and her eyes seemed to take on something of a catlike slant. Even her complexion seemed to appear more radiant. Her new physiology granted her a certain degree of superhuman strength, reflexes, and balance. Along with her vampiric speed and senses, she was a formidable opponent for most.

Recently, her mentor and caregiver had passed into the void, leaving Katrina suddenly and without warning. She would have lost herself to the darkness, had she not bonded with her dragon, the silver scaled Valinor. It had been less than a year since than, with Valinor now easily the size of a war horse, though still not quite old enough to sustain a meaningful, combat worthy flame. Katrina's travels had taken her to many distant lands, where she met a few good people, and a few bad. Through it all, she managed to keep her inner strength, even as she came upon the shores of the Kingdom of Gnorfiend, home of the fabled King Tarian...

Valinor:

[Spoiler=]dragon-4-1.jpg

[/spoiler]

Valinor is a young dragon that accompanies Katrina on her journeys. Closely bonded by spirit and mind, the two have the ability to communicate non verbally over limited distances. (2-3 miles, maximum) They have the ability to grant mana reserves toward each other, though this works best when they are in physical contact with each other. Valinor himself can communicate non-verbally with others, though tends not to unless he feels comfortable with the person. A powerful and loyal creature, Valinor cannot yet sustain a meaningful flame, though can still come to close quarters with tail and talon. He can be wise, but tends to be rather reckless and quick to act, a true hunter and alpha predator in many regards. Valinor's scales are tough enough to defend against most arrows, though they can still bruise and there are natural weak points in his armor.

"Uden"

[Spoiler=]kr0004.jpg[/spoiler]

Uden is the name of an ancient blade, unearthed in the tomb of a deceased King, whose name was lost, perhaps even banished. Forged by elves from within an enchanted forest, little else is known about how "Uden" came to be, though not much else is pertinent. The silver blade, a compliment to Valinor's bright scales, was gladly scavenged by the elven dhamphir. It became evident over time that the blade was enchanted; the metal never warped or dulled, despite being subjected to unimaginable perils. Never did the blade rust, nor has it had a difficult time cleaving through the iron armor of her foes, though her unnatural strength certainly had a part to play. A diamond sits in the pommel of the sword, enchanted so that it can store mana for use at a later time. What Katrina lacks in skill as a self taught swordswoman, she makes up for with enhanced senses.

Magic

Katrina employs two types of magic when necessary, one which is based on verbal incantations, and another which allows her to metabolize metallic alloys for various effects. Verbal incantations are as relatively draining as if one were to physically perform the feat. Lifting a small stone would be effortless, whereas lifting a massive boulder would drain her of her energy as quickly as if she were lifting it herself. For spells which require high demand, Katrina can draw upon the reserves of Valinor, though Valinor is by no means without limits. Her metallic arts depend upon Katrina being able to replenish her metals at various shops, and prep time with which to properly mix and balance the metals. They are then placed in vials, suspended in an alcohol solution.

"Thorta du ilumeo": Truth spell (Low drain)

"Skolir": Sheild (Potentially variable)

"Kuldr, risa lam iet un malthinae unin bollr": Summon gold (High drain)

"Deloi moi": To form and move earth (Moderate drain)

• Iron: By ingesting flakes of iron in a balanced solution, Katrina is able to pull upon other sources of metal using her own weight as an anchor. Pulling on a heavy or stable source of metal will cause her body to be pulled instead of the intended object.
  • Steel: By ingesting flakes of steel in a balanced solution, Katrina gains the ability to push upon sources of metal using her own weight as an anchor. Pushing on a stable or heavy source of metal will cause her own body to be pushed in the opposite direction.
  • Zinc: By ingesting flakes of zinc in a balanced solution, Katrina gains the ability to enflame the emotions of another or others in subtle ways.
  • Brass: By ingesting flakes of brass in a balanced solution, Katrina gains the ability to dampen the emotions of another or others in subtle ways.
  • Tin: By ingesting flakes of tin in a balanced solution, Katrina gains heightened senses such as sight, smell, hearing and taste, as well as an increased sensitivity to pain.
  • Pewter: By ingesting flakes of pewter in a balanced solution, Katrina gains the ability to strengthen her physical might and durability, as well as dull her senses. Her recovery time also increases.
[/Spoiler]

Gah! I can't spoiler tag! I'm really sorry if my sheet comes across as in-your-face because of my lack of knowledge, but I've honestly been trying to spoiler tag my sheet for no less than half an hour. Help?

Edit: thanks for the help! I appreciate it, it was surprisingly simple.

Gah! I can't spoiler tag! I'm really sorry if my sheet comes across as in-your-face because of my lack of knowledge, but I've honestly been trying to spoiler tag my sheet for no less than half an hour. Help?

<spoiler=Insertnamehere>

</spoiler>

Replace the less than/ more than signs with [/] and you have made a spoiler.

True... But we should wait. It's hard enough for Rooster as it is. Anyway, I'll look through hardcore's app now.

EDIT: Arin: You have a URL link in your appearance field. You can transform that into an IMG code, you know. I'll accept, but if you can change your hyperlink into an IMG code, that would be great.

Hardcore: App is good, but as Rooster said, a spoiler would be necessary. You know shit loads of people... They crave presentation and quality. If you can do that for the fields necessary, then I'll let you in.

For both apps however, SG will need to confirm his acceptance too.

Okie-doke, let's see what we've got.

Re: Katrina Marek:

Oh, we have an Allomancer. Didn't see that coming.

Nothing terribly remarkable about the personality or bio. Raised by wolves dragons, with all the attendant flaws. No objections there. We have more elves than Gnorfiend natives at the moment, but I don't really think that's a problem in itself (especially given where the campaign is going), so no objections on race either. The dragons - and especially Valinor - might have been a worry, but you chose to execute that concept in a very balanced way, so that's fine. So the character herself is good. I just worry a bit about her powers.

I've had a lot of concerns about balancing the magic in this. In such a big party, it's important to specialize, so everyone has a niche, no one can do everything, and people are forced to interact with each other. And this magic isn't specialized at all. I suppose my question with the magic on this one is, "what's the point of the non-Allomancy?" The non-Allomantic (is that a word, Allomantic?) spells are all over the place, doing just... random things. Plus, they're from Eragon, which is nowhere near as good as Mistborn. A lot of the effects are redundant, too. We have three healers already; there's no need for a fourth. And while "lightning" and "shield" are staples, they're nothing Daphne, Vellan, or Maia couldn't replicate. Oh, and you have two elemental effects, while most of the magic we've seen so far only relies on one element.

Stretching Allomancy to fit this world a bit... it'd be easy to say that Katrina had a metal affinity, and that her Allomancy . Actually, Allomancy does provide a few interesting possibilities, since in battle, it's mostly based around mobility and self-buffing. Add on that rather impressive weapon and the Dhampir powers and you have a concept right there: a self-buffing swordsman who flies around the battlefield, using iron, steel, and the dragon to control distance. This is the same problem Luke Night had, actually: "Allomantic dragon-rider dhampir" is a concept; "allomantic Eragon-style dragon-rider dhampir" is going overboard. There's no need to execute two concepts (or in this case, two completely different systems of magic) on one character; they end up detracting from each other.

Before accepting you, I'd like to see those systems of magic either reconciled or pared down. Personally, I'd axe the Eragon magic and stick with Allomancy, since that's already a nice, unified system that fits well with the rest of your concept. If you were to use Eragon-style magic, I'd like to see that a little more focused, since as it is it's just random spells. Focusing it around an element would fit what other people have done, but focusing it around a fighting style or some other focal point would be fine too. If you could somehow reconcile the two systems, that'd be fine as well, though that's the hardest route IMO since they're such different systems.

I went on for a long time with that, because I wanted to explain my rationale and leave as many options available to you as possible, but that really is the only problem with that app. Everything else is good to go. :v

tl;dr - fix the magic and you're accepted

Re: Rosalina Fireheart:

I'm not sure anyone has seen the Shadow Walkers for a few centuries, so you'll want to change the identities of the attackers. Orcs or trolls or the like would do fine, as would just regular bandits (human or Giant).

Other than that... ooooooooooh, interesting. Yes, this is a very welcome addition. This could lead down some fascinating avenues. Do like. I would advise that we already have two fire mages, so if you do an arc where she starts to accept magic again, you might want to go for lightning or the like instead. But that's looking waaaay ahead, and as it is she's a very interesting character I'd like to see more of.

You are a bit low-power, especially with Katrina and Kane running around, so if you want to keep her balanced without ruining the concept, you might want to give her the equivalent of D&D 3.5's Manoeuvres - awesome weapon techniques that don't use magic per se, but would be impossible to replicate without weapon training. I don't think you'd necessarily have to put those in the app, though. Push comes to shove, just have her get along with Maia and Encouragement should make up the gap :V

tl;dr - change the attackers' identity to something that isn't supposed to be extinct and you're accepted

Re: Chaotic Angel's commentary on those apps: Wait, you prefer [img] tags? I prefer urls myself - that way the page loads faster because the images aren't using up bandwidth for people who don't want to see them. I won't argue, though - to be fair, it doesn't make much difference one way or another.

Re: The most recent posts: Wait, what the hell is a "replica?" Wasn't "Suffocated Gravekeeper" supposed to be Kane's nickname? ...Whatever, I'll just assume it's Kane's evil twin and go from there. :v I'll transition into that in my next post, I guess.

Ah, and for poor Rooster's sake, I'll just assume Maia got what she needed somewhere in there. :P I recommend that our new additions start by encountering the replica or something rather than going to the potion shop yet again; Rooster's swamped, and that shop got crowded fast. (Also people just assumed Fayyad could hold like eight conversations at once apparently?????)

Archived