[906] Dimension of Chaos

If we truly was popular, than more Malicevrorous would've been printed as legacy stuff ages ago. I mean, the last we ever got from him were C69 and C92. I'm being overly pessimistic, but that's something one should come to expect when hoping things from Konmoney.

Well Anna and BOOK guy do have a niche fan base, and look how their archetype/series turn out

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My main concern is whether or not they stopped the ZeXal anime support train.

Oh same, since the past Twos WP have little anime archetype support. However if the rumours is ture (and rumour from BBS are 80% correct) then we should be getting some new numbers in this pack! (Come on konami please hurry up and finish the numbers series!)

Anyway no one is excited that we are getting new BF support :trollface

Were you the guy who was saying that Rituals and Fusions are inherently flawed mechanics?  I can't recall if it was you or Black.

Ftr, while I do say this about rituals, I don't say it about Fusion. Fusion is the best designed mechanic after Synchro.

Do you mind elaborating on that?

Well, it goes like this:

Rituals are the worst designed. They require a spell, a main deck monster, AND fodder. It's a minimum 3-card investment, in some form or fashion, though this does get subverted. Even with Manju, Senju, Sonic Bird, it tends to be a 3-card investment, unless you're playing, like, relinquished. And this means their power level has to be higher to worth it. At that point, they're either shit or too unfair, at least for their time (Demise) or in general (the eternal prescience of Gishkills). Nekroz' form of consistency is just the proof in the pudding that they really can't be handled well.

Pendulums are a terrible mechanic... But a pretty cool game design choice. It's not a fair mechanic, but most used of it are as support. With the exception of Qli and Igknights, pendulums are actually fairly fun to use, though they do inherently show their flaws. In P-Pal, all scales are "monsters waiting to be summoned", thanks to Wizard. In D/D/D, scales are just way more versatile spell cards. While these do showcase their players' styles, they also expose some underlying flaws of the mechanic, especially in the latter case. I actually wouldn't call Pendulums hopeless, they just need help to get on track.

Xyz are an okay idea that went horribly wrong. Xyz are just way, way too generic. 2x4 is so laughably easy that it covers many, many decks, even dexk's you wouldn't think it would. Even with limits, the potential Key Beetle debacle-to-be shows you how easy themed Xyz are to shit out, and that's just one example. The core power level of Xyz was set too high, considering Leviair in set 1 and Laggia (and Zenmaines and Dolkka TCG-side) in set 2, and cards like Tour Guide ushered it in. This mechanic could have been fine if they kept them weaker and/or more reasonably restricted, but they were never that, even at the very core of the mechanic.

Fusions require a similar setup to rituals... But the notable facet is that you don't need an otherwise unsummonable card as part of your setup (well, sometimes, but you know what I mean). Fusion is actually comparable to Xyz with how it's evolved, and I still think it's one of the better mechanics, from core intent until now. The core intent needed work, because specific monsters and poly was a lot to pay, but some of them (Flame Swordsman in the eaaaarly game) rewarded you for them correctly. The present intent may be a bit too generic, but the mechanic still requires the correct input. Like, Shaddoll as a whole, while power creep factors in, are a fairly well designed fusion archetype. Hound, Nephe-Fusion, Dragon, Squa, Beast, Core, and Hedge are all fine cards. Falco and the supports went awry, but if you built from the ground up with those I listed and a weaker Shaddoll Fusion, then it would actually be right as rain. Oh, and no super poly.

Fusion has a lot of potential to reward you the right amount, where Xyz reward you too much. This, too, shows in Shaddolls, as all of your bosses are passive... Except Construct. And she's the only one that really rewards you beyond just enough. Oh, and Wendigi rewards you way too little, but that's a dropped ball in the mediocre set known as SECE.

Synchro is comparable to ritual... So this does mean inherent inconsistencies with the mechanic. Tuners. You have to devote space in your deck to monsters that initiate a synchro summon, then you have to assemble them on the board. And get an exact level. And tbh, though a bit powercreepy at first (I'd blame E-Tele and Plague more than the Synchros themselves)... Once they balanced out what they were doing with them, most of them reward you just right. They're almost like 2-tribute monsters, they just happen to come from the ED and have more specific conditions. Even if you just randomly decide to designs synchro, the value it should be able to give you is much easier to understand than the other mechanics make it. It's intuitive.

It also introduced laddering. While laddering can be too much, it does introduce an interesting idea into the gamestate, and rewards you for using your resources to build into a boss, usually.

It's a mechanic that relies on the power of tuners, which means it will have inconsistencies. However, given that tuners are monsters and not dead spells... It makes it easier to play with them, though you likely run more tuners than you would ritual spells (shaddolls are an exception). It's a little slows down less consistent, in theory, but should the ED mechanics be super consistent anyways? I think the mix is just fine, you just have to accept that tuners come with some inconsistencies and have to have a certain power level.

Well done for pointing out terrible design, that's not unique, that's making something OP and ideal a reality.

6 days old but there was a lot of inconsistencies here.

You can't say the recycling spells and Ritual search effects are non-unique because they are abusable, then you say Spellbooks abusing spells was unique. 

The Ritual Spells are fine. Mirror gets materials from the Graveyard but you still need the Ritual Monster in hand and will Summon it as a -1 after using up Mirror. Cycle is the same but reversed unless you Tribute Shurit, or with Kaleido unless you are using Herald, in those best cases it winds up a +0.

Then what? They search for new Ritual Spells? I think this recycling is actually pretty smart. You can only do it if your field was wiped so if you have any remnants of last turn's power play you can't really advance because you can't search the cards that would let you swarm there at times. Then everything about the Spells is capped by a hard OPT clause so it's not truly loopable the way Gishikis were. Those searches aren't even immediately payable.

If anything, Spellbooks search out their Spells WAAAAAY more, and you only have so many Ritual Spells in Nekroz (the typical number is around 6, or was last time I checked) so expect each Ritual Spell to pretty much search once each duel.

Though as a whole, the archetype goes +1 when Manju/Senju are involved, and that puts it at the level of "very good". Then it pluses once more by SOME Ritual Monsters' effects and through the actions and magics of the Battle Phase, and that is something that just barely puts them up to pair with the meta.

The big flaws that break the whole archetype are Trishula's power play being too good, and the Djinn lock being so stupid consistent. Really those are the two power plays that give the deck an edge over other meta decks, and if they were to disappear the deck would probably fall to tier 2. The whole archetype shouldn't be blamed for them.

As for the argument that was going on, you got a pic of a mountain of salt because from what I read you weren't really giving actual points yourself. You were talking along the lines of "boring", "unoriginal", and vague terms that were never explained in detail. How is someone gonna try and make a point when you aren't really saying anything that people can respond to? You'd just reply again with something along "boring unoriginal bullshit that needs to go die in a fire", which again doesn't do anything.

• 2 weeks later...

Can we kill BW already? Dammit crow why do you even need to reappear in Arc V?

RURIRAPTOR>BW, end of discussion.

Trishula would like a word with you. BW can work as an XYZ deck if needed as well. RR cannot works as a synchro deck. More versatility more win. I'm personally hoping for some half decent grave effect BW's

less about utility, more about aesthetic.

You know that's a terribad reason right? + What's more aesthetic about RR. Synchro is a beutiful mechanic, and BW can now play Miracle Synchro Fusion as a late game Noden maker. I'm literally waiting for Heroes to get assraped by this list before dropping Heroes for BW

Archived