The YCM Championship Series #3 - Round 3 Begins Shortly

First of all, it was a collected effort to establish this for past 2 YCMCS, so it wasn't up to one person.

And Dimension of Chaos cards have a bigger chance to be relevant soon than the complete OCG exclusive ones are that we won't see for a year or so.

except we are using these cards for a format that they will never be relevant for, so we may aswell be using those ocg exlusives as they wont be relevant for the format either

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

except we are using these cards for a format that they will never be relevant for, so we may aswell be using those ocg exlusives as they wont be relevant for the format either

You really don't funking get it, don't you?

DOCS is a set that will be here NEXT format. OCG exclusives will be here in ages. And currently Konami's logic seems to be trimming on decks rather than killing them, so I don't expect a huge format shift any time soon.

Tbqh I agree.

I would rather have pure TCG or full on DNCG. (Perhaps we could alternate between them with each tournament?)

This current way of doing things is weird and confusing.

Full DNCG is honestly retarded as funk due to things like Infinity being there, so no thanks.

tl;dr people want to use new cards but don't want Infinity in the format. You can argue all you want but this is the underlying motive.

Honestly yeah, even though as I said before, I'd much prefer a full TCG format. My decks are mostly that anyways, so it doesn't really concern me in that sense, but at least it gives a full idea of the format.

i do understand that these cards will be coming to tcg soon, but that soon is over 3 months for some of the cards

it doesnt really test our decks for this format at all as we are facing cards that wont be relevant to a lot of us, we have to also prepare side decks differently, mostly untested as we have pretty much created our own format,

konami could not change the ban list much but i really do think they will hit shadolls, ba and qlis next banlist definitely

i just wanted the tournament to be a way to test out my card choices more for the current tcg

i do understand that these cards will be coming to tcg soon, but that soon is over 3 months for some of the cards

it doesnt really test our decks for this format at all as we are facing cards that wont be relevant to a lot of us, we have to also prepare side decks differently, mostly untested as we have pretty much created our own format,

konami could not change the ban list much but i really do think they will hit shadolls, ba and qlis next banlist definitely

i just wanted the tournament to be a way to test out my card choices more for the current tcg

Konami is unpredictable. They might make no changes at all tbqh since this format is pretty sweet actually.

tl;dr people want to use new cards but don't want Infinity in the format. You can argue all you want but this is the underlying motive.

thing is, tcg confirmed cards definitely means they'll be relevant in the tcg soon, even if not now

testing ahead reveals what could be, as we can't plan for the banlists season by season, which can be important

while this is a humble corner of the YGOnet, i still managed to find a deck with stupidly good synergies and power, though I underestimated it at first, and I'm not the only one. This actually took online by somewhat of a storm, as the Clownblade/Seraph interactions were the strongest we'd seen for Seraphs.

Which makes why Chain was banned make more sense, beyond Nelroz. While the stack is good in Nekroz, that alone did not earn it a ban. TCG just did not want Clownblade to exist.

And there was neither harm nor fowl in indulging in Clownblade, as it really showed why to be terrified of Stick and why Lavalval Chain was out of hand for a TCG format. Was it going to be T0? Nah, but no one wants a StickChair metagame, especially post-Norden, if it can be helped. The power in dolls alone is terrifying.

All in all, I think being able to test cards that will soon find their way to the TCG only helps you understand what's to come and what to value better.

If we're going to play with unreleased cards, I suggest we stick to cards that are releasing in the middle of our current format and not those being released when we might be getting a banlist between those times. I understand these cards will become relevant later, but we don't know if cards that will synergize very well with those cards will be hit by the banlist or not by the time they're actually released; or if cards that are hit come off. I'm fine with unreleased cards, but we need to stay within our format.

VCR wins 2-0. Quasar abounds.

confirming. like my day wasn't shitty enough already.

can you guys stop arguing about what cards are allowed? we've already started this, so no matter which side is decided to be 'right' (yeah right. *snorts* this won't get resolved, just dropped bc a mod threatened to lock it), we're not gonna start this all over again.

If we're going to play with unreleased cards, I suggest we stick to cards that are releasing in the middle of our current format and not those being released when we might be getting a banlist between those times. I understand these cards will become relevant later, but we don't know if cards that will synergize very well with those cards will be hit by the banlist or not by the time they're actually released; or if cards that are hit come off. I'm fine with unreleased cards, but we need to stay within our format.

Why?

There's been no solid reason for remaining within the format, beyond "I want to". Within one format more, whichis how confirmations go, hardly seems too much. 

Awareness of Clownblade/Seraph is a major reason that Chain got banned (in addition to its general Nekroz behavior, but djinn was banned so can't be purely Nekroz, and don't try to say shitty oni loop), and while we aren't a relevant corner of the community, we're still relevant to ourselves.

I'd love to play full mixed format, as well, because cards like Performapal Pendulum Sorceror and Rafflesia are around. But that isn't realistically TCG available.

There's nothing stopping you from checking out new sets and the like, they aren't hidden knowledge. After a set releases, solid builds aren't readily available, either, so you have to use your own merits to build/value what you play. And being able to test in a tournament environment, even with some people picking poorly, allows you to side reasonably for matchups, as you figure them out, as opposed to siding for every deck a random may run. DN isn't as bad for this, but it's full OCG/TCG. 

Even in our corner, testing and working out a deck's kinks in a tournament environment is better than randoms. And future TCG can be considered, even with Konami being preemptive lately.

I just said why, and it's for a pretty dang good reason. Simply arbitrarily picking and choosing what cards to use because they're being released globally is what we're doing right now; I could argue that all of the exclusives we see will be relevant to the TCG some time because that's what's going to happen; we've already had one World Superstars and there's a very, very strong chance it's going to happen. But why don't we go full DNOCG? Because it enables cards and decks in a ban list that hasn't accounted for their existence; at least that should be the reason. It would be like before when the new Seraphs weren't coming to the TCG any time soon and were hit by the OCG ban list; it enables a deck that's actually hit in its native format.

And this is why I think we need to stick to the current format we're in; because there's no certainty that the toolbox those newer decks that will be released a format later have access to will or will not be affected by the banlist. It also doesn't help that we don't know when the next banlist is; which is why I think we should play it safer if we want an accurate TCG format. Otherwise, we may as well be playing DNCG; we're playing with decks that we don't know are going to actually be decks in the actual TCG format. We're playing with Norden now; but what if Instant Fusion is banned before Norden is released?

It may be raising awareness or working with decks that will be in the format in the future, but the fact of the matter is neither you, nor me, nor anyone else here knows what those decks will look like in the future format. Simply put, using these cards is pretty much in the same boat as using OCG exclusives; I fail to see the difference. The main reason it seems we're doing this is because people want to play with the new OCG cards, but they don't want to play with the exclusives. This is basically our own DNCG, except we're arbitrarily picking cards based on release date.

If we want to actually play TCG, then play TCG. If we want to use newer cards but want to stay within TCG, then only use cards that are being released within the current format (because we can better guarantee those decks will actually function in the same way we use them now). Otherwise, we're pretty much playing DNCG.

And honestly, I'd really LIKE to play with exclusives, as is evident by my avatar and sig. But if we really want to releastically test TCG decks in a tournament format, then we should stick with the current format. Otherwise, you're looking too far ahead and there's room to just be patient and wait until we know for sure what the deck is going to actually be like.

I just said why, and it's for a pretty dang good reason. Simply arbitrarily picking and choosing what cards to use because they're being released globally is what we're doing right now; I could argue that all of the exclusives we see will be relevant to the TCG some time because that's what's going to happen; we've already had one World Superstars and there's a very, very strong chance it's going to happen. But why don't we go full DNOCG? Because it enables cards and decks in a ban list that hasn't accounted for their existence; at least that should be the reason. It would be like before when the new Seraphs weren't coming to the TCG any time soon and were hit by the OCG ban list; it enables a deck that's actually hit in its native format.

It's not arbitrarily. It's a perfectly valid reason. If you're going to use the word arbitrary, use it correctly.

There is a huge difference between one list and 3 lists. Your DNCG logic doesn't apply here, at all, as /1/ format difference isn't a huge one. Lavalval Chain and 95 are exceptions, not rules.

And this is why I think we need to stick to the current format we're in; because there's no certainty that the toolbox those newer decks that will be released a format later have access to will or will not be affected by the banlist. It also doesn't help that we don't know when the next banlist is; which is why I think we should play it safer if we want an accurate TCG format. Otherwise, we may as well be playing DNCG; we're playing with decks that we don't know are going to actually be decks in the actual TCG format. We're playing with Norden now; but what if Instant Fusion is banned before Norden is released?

Aaaand?

This logic doesn't hold. A deck will be theoried, so what's wrong with an environment that gives it a chance to be tested, as well.

Not knowing when the next list is more reason to NOT hold back future releases, as there is a chance that the format will not change.

Given that the formats are assumed to still be 3~ months, but we don't actually know, it's safer to assume no list than lists will happen. Norden's been used since before the schedule change, as well. However, saying cards a year out will occur without a list is a lot larger of a stretch than 3 months. Hell, by your logic in this part, CORE shouldn't be legal this time, despite the minor time discrepancy. A list may come out.

It may be raising awareness or working with decks that will be in the format in the future, but the fact of the matter is neither you, nor me, nor anyone else here knows what those decks will look like in the future format. Simply put, using these cards is pretty much in the same boat as using OCG exclusives; I fail to see the difference. The main reason it seems we're doing this is because people want to play with the new OCG cards, but they don't want to play with the exclusives. This is basically our own DNCG, except we're arbitrarily picking cards based on release date.

You fail to see a difference because you refuse to. And you continue to misuse the word arbitrary.

Also incredibly ignorant to just say no one will even get close to a future build. Testing Clownblade led to me streamlining the build as much as possible, and actually ended up with only 2-3 card discrepancies between my build and iHop's down to the ED, despite not conferring over it for a month or more at the tkme. We may not have made it totally optimal, but to saythere's no reason to try becauxe you won't be the end result makes no sense.

1. You can lay the groundwork which leads to better, which is good.

2. You can improve as a player as you work on something that isn't totally founded, because you have to figure the ins, outs, matchups out.

If we want to actually play TCG, then play TCG. If we want to use newer cards but want to stay within TCG, then only use cards that are being released within the current format (because we can better guarantee those decks will actually function in the same way we use them now). Otherwise, we're pretty much playing DNCG.

Current format argument has been tackled from all angles.

And who cares if they aren't the same as we imagined a build? You still have experience with the deck, and that experience can lead to finding a new formula because you know how another potential formula worked. It's sheer profit, provided you didn't lose money on it.

And honestly, I'd really LIKE to play with exclusives, as is evident by my avatar and sig. But if we really want to releastically test TCG decks in a tournament format, then we should stick with the current format. Otherwise, you're looking too far ahead and there's room to just be patient and wait until we know for sure what the deck is going to actually be like.

1 set ahead =/= too far ahead. at all. Norden will be here in 2 months.

While there is no shame in netdecking, themindset of "why work when others can?" is just incredibly stupid. Especially considering how OCG builds very rarely translate to TCG builds, at all, which means probably another month or two before thedeck is "Solidified" in the TCG.

Do anything to the best of your abilities.

I have a question. This isn't my topic, I'm not in the tournament, but I happened across this anyway. I will also admit to not reading the whole topic because...why would I go through 10 pages of a tournament topic?

Why, at this stage, is there a complaint bordering on argument? Were you not told what cards were permitted for the tournament prior to joining and turning in your Decklist? I can see the merits of both ends to this...debate, and my hunch is that people feel cheated because some of their opponents are using a build for a Deck that has cards from one of the sets that come to TCG later in the year, so they got side-swiped and weren't prepared for it. Which does have a logical basis for it, but it also indicates that those same players took a risk in bringing that Deck to an untested environment.

And they're reaping the benefits of Risk vs Reward. That's assuming my hunch is right.

It's not arbitrarily. It's a perfectly valid reason. If you're going to use the word arbitrary, use it correctly. 

My use of "arbitrary" was correct and I am full aware of its meaning.

There is a huge difference between one list and 3 lists. Your DNCG logic doesn't apply here, at all, as /1/ format difference isn't a huge one. Lavalval Chain and 95 are exceptions, not rules.

You, just like me, have no way of knowing what the future format is going to hold. There are no "rules" to what gets hit or not; Konami hits what they feel needs to be hit and there's no way you or I can predict what they're going to hit. You can go by what feels most likely, but Konami has pitched way too many curveballs in the past for me to think that the banlists are all going to be small, neat and tidy shifts in format.

This logic doesn't hold. A deck will be theoried, so what's wrong with an environment that gives it a chance to be tested, as well.

Testing against multiple players and recording the results and taking notes of match-ups is equally as effective. If you don't like randoms, you can always duel against people you know to be very good and seek out challenges. The environment to test already exists; tournaments are no such environment and are meant to be the result of testing.

Not knowing when the next list is more reason to NOT hold back future releases, as there is a chance that the format will not change.

Given that the formats are assumed to still be 3~ months, but we don't actually know, it's safer to assume no list than lists will happen. Norden's been used since before the schedule change, as well. However, saying cards a year out will occur without a list is a lot larger of a stretch than 3 months. Hell, by your logic in this part, CORE shouldn't be legal this time, despite the minor time discrepancy. A list may come out.

This is the logic that does not hold up. Because a list has just come out and that no new cards have been released since then nor has there been anything to warrant an "emergency ban" (this has only occurred once), the list will not change, which means that CORE is safe to use as it will be within the same format. Norden has only been out for a year in DNOCG and OCG formats, so referencing how long that has been out in a TCG environment is a waste of time.

However, Konami can still do a bigger list with sweeping changes; as it has happened before plenty of times. And considering how changes can be reverted as well, there's still the glaring possibility that the format can be just as different for when DOCS comes out then when say the next World Superstars comes out; just as there's the equal chance that nothing can happen. We don't know what Konami will do because they can pretty much do whatever they want. There are some obvious patterns we can take, like figuring that there will be no new list between now and CROS, but when you take gaps of time where there will be a newly released set inbetween, you don't know if anything's going to change or even what the TCG exclusives are going to be.

There are too many factors beyond the set that releases mid-format for me to safely say that even the set after the next will be safe to theorize entirely because we don't know what's going to happen. If we want a proper TCG format for a competitive tournament, this needs to be taken into account; this isn't a testing ground.

Also incredibly ignorant to just say no one will even get close to a future build. Testing Clownblade led to me streamlining the build as much as possible, and actually ended up with only 2-3 card discrepancies between my build and iHop's down to the ED, despite not conferring over it for a month or more at the tkme. We may not have made it totally optimal, but to saythere's no reason to try becauxe you won't be the end result makes no sense.

1. You can lay the groundwork which leads to better, which is good.

2. You can improve as a player as you work on something that isn't totally founded, because you have to figure the ins, outs, matchups out.

As said previously; you don't need this kind of event to properly test a deck, so don't act like this is your only venue. Ultimately there are those of us who would rather have a more accurate TCG format in which to have a tournament. The YCMCS is pretty much the largest one on the site, and just starting my own or someone else starting their own isn't going to be the same. You have much more of a choice to test and get the same results as you do not need this tournament to do it.

And I said; gaining the new experience with a deck can be done just as effectively outside a tournament without messing with the format of the existing one.

1 set ahead =/= too far ahead. at all. Norden will be here in 2 months.

While there is no shame in netdecking, themindset of "why work when others can?" is just incredibly stupid. Especially considering how OCG builds very rarely translate to TCG builds, at all, which means probably another month or two before thedeck is "Solidified" in the TCG.

No you're right; one set ahead isn't too far ahead. At this point, that one set is CORE (which has not released yet technically). But this isn't one set ahead; if you had bothered to recheck the list (not sure if you did). DOCS (which releases in November) is also included, along with 2 structure decks (one of which I am using cards from). Norden may be here in two months, but DOCS isn't going to be here for a while, and in that time I'm certain we're going to see a banlist in that time. Will it make sweeping changes? I don't know and neither do you; but that's not a reason to just use it anyways.

...how did netdecking get into this conversation? Actually could you clarify that paragraph; I have no idea what you're talking about in it and how it relates to the conversation. I mean yeah, if we were all netdecking OCG builds I suppose that has merit; but none of us are really taking OCG builds sooooo?

Do anything to the best of your abilities.

Also finally, I would appreciate it if you didn't approach this with such an aggressive and frankly condescending attitude. I'm not going into this wanting to hurt anyone's feelings, be a dick, or even make myself sound superior; I legitimately have concerns regarding a tournament I want to take part in and if we're going to make it a TCG tournament then we should make it a proper TCG tournament. I don't appreciate the way you present yourself in your post, as it comes across less like you also have legitimate concerns and more like you're just doing this looking for trouble so you can make yourself sound superior in some way. I'm more than willing to have a mature conversation about this, but I'd appreciate it if you approached this with the same level of maturity.

My use of "arbitrary" was correct and I am full aware of its meaning.

How is picking based on within one format and one set of cards we know are being added to the pool in the future (before current scheduling) arbitrary? Sure, the list can change things, but before it was 2 lists between, with at least an entire unknown set as well, creating a very strange gamestate.

I'll concede one thing here in a bit.

You, just like me, have no way of knowing what the future format is going to hold. There are no "rules" to what gets hit or not; Konami hits what they feel needs to be hit and there's no way you or I can predict what they're going to hit. You can go by what feels most likely, but Konami has pitched way too many curveballs in the past for me to think that the banlists are all going to be small, neat and tidy shifts in format.

Did I claim I did?

And please, do not argue semantics. The exceptions point was to seperate rare pre-emptive hits from other hits, as they are different. Nothing more.

Testing against multiple players and recording the results and taking notes of match-ups is equally as effective. If you don't like randoms, you can always duel against people you know to be very good and seek out challenges. The environment to test already exists; tournaments are no such environment and are meant to be the result of testing.

A tourney like this is fortesting. For matches. Randoms are garbage 9/10 anywhere that isn't DN TCG, so they aren't reliable. Testing with those you know is a thing, but... that's what this is. If this was a YCS, I'd agree, but this is like a locals.

This is the logic that does not hold up. Because a list has just come out and that no new cards have been released since then nor has there been anything to warrant an "emergency ban" (this has only occurred once), the list will not change, which means that CORE is safe to use as it will be within the same format. Norden has only been out for a year in DNOCG and OCG formats, so referencing how long that has been out in a TCG environment is a waste of time.

You disproved nothing. They very well COULD have had an oversight with, say, Kozmo and fixed it when the players realized it and made it evkdent. Stardust Warrior is an OCG example of such, as a pre-release errata. Not exactly the same, but was fixed within a day or so to avoid floating into more copies of itself. It could very well happen, and you can't say it can't, as there is no formal schedule.

However, Konami can still do a bigger list with sweeping changes; as it has happened before plenty of times. And considering how changes can be reverted as well, there's still the glaring possibility that the format can be just as different for when DOCS comes out then when say the next World Superstars comes out; just as there's the equal chance that nothing can happen. We don't know what Konami will do because they can pretty much do whatever they want. There are some obvious patterns we can take, like figuring that there will be no new list between now and CROS, but when you take gaps of time where there will be a newly released set inbetween, you don't know if anything's going to change or even what the TCG exclusives are going to be.

There are too many factors beyond the set that releases mid-format for me to safely say that even the set after the next will be safe to theorize entirely because we don't know what's going to happen. If we want a proper TCG format for a competitive tournament, this needs to be taken into account; this isn't a testing ground. 

Your straw man is not worth addressing.

As said previously; you don't need this kind of event to properly test a deck, so don't act like this is your only venue. Ultimately there are those of us who would rather have a more accurate TCG format in which to have a tournament. The YCMCS is pretty much the largest one on the site, and just starting my own or someone else starting their own isn't going to be the same. You have much more of a choice to test and get the same results as you do not need this tournament to do it.

I didn't use Strawman. I pointed out that you neglected to acknowledge logic, never diverting from the point at hand. Nothing more. You said ypu didn't see it, I pointed it out that it was laid outfor you. Agreeing is anlther matter altogether.

You also neglected the environment, so it fell short. Despite the size you mention, this is a locals. The majority don't appear to want TCG only (and if they do, they should free to speak up, nothing wrong with that), so how does wanting plain TCG matterin this point? You can use points and logic to make a case, but this point assumes you're the majority and uses it as a pedestal. If you are, power to you, but at least the vocal majority has been in favor of the current system overmultiple discussions.

And I said; gaining the new experience with a deck can be done just as effectively outside a tournament without messing with the format of the existing one.

Repeating yourself from the previous segment for no reason.

No you're right; one set ahead isn't too far ahead. At this point, that one set is CORE (which has not released yet technically). But this isn't one set ahead; if you had bothered to recheck the list (not sure if you did). DOCS (which releases in November) is also included, along with 2 structure decks (one of which I am using cards from). Norden may be here in two months, but DOCS isn't going to be here for a while, and in that time I'm certain we're going to see a banlist in that time. Will it make sweeping changes? I don't know and neither do you; but that's not a reason to just use it anyways.

All of this is semantics. I said 1 set ahead for a reason. Not one deck, not one booster sp thing, one set. I should have clarified main set, but you shluld not have tried to use that as a point.

I also should haveclarified that the knowledge of sets inbetween point Aand B is important. I'll touch on this with High-Speed Riders later.

Norden point was to show that it was at least 3 monthx away last ycmcs.

There is no reason to assume there will be a list. Maybe there will, maybe they won't. It's not "safer" to expect it. It's not "safer" to not expect it. However, living in fear, so to speak, of a list that may or may not come is not logical.

And, even if the list does change things, who cares? You're not being cheated out of a prize of some sort. You just don't come out on top at a locals. Nothing more, nothing less.

Maybe you could go full exclusive, but there is a point between 4 months and 9 months where not expectomg the list to hit takes a significant nose dive.

After checking release dates for TCG, I will concede DOCS may not hace been the best to include. High-Speed Riders comes out befpre DOCS here, unlike Japan, so there is a pack variable due to inconsistency in release order.

10 TCG exclusives/imports are also a variable, but much less so, so it's easier to ignore, as the former are generally small and blanks, and the latter aren't possible to even adequately guess until we get the checklist.

It's not peefect, but it's not a terrible system either. DNCG would have the same High-Speed Riders and exclusive flaws, but with more chances for the list to change things up given the much greater amount of time.

Also, promos, promos everywhere.

...how did netdecking get into this conversation? Actually could you clarify that paragraph; I have no idea what you're talking about in it and how it relates to the conversation. I mean yeah, if we were all netdecking OCG builds I suppose that has merit; but none of us are really taking OCG builds sooooo?

You said wait until the deck was established. The only establishing between now and maybe a month after TCG re,easeis the OCG. And waiting until it's established implies just taking a build.

Also finally, I would appreciate it if you didn't approach this with such an aggressive and frankly condescending attitude. I'm not going into this wanting to hurt anyone's feelings, be a dick, or even make myself sound superior; I legitimately have concerns regarding a tournament I want to take part in and if we're going to make it a TCG tournament then we should make it a proper TCG tournament. I don't appreciate the way you present yourself in your post, as it comes across less like you also have legitimate concerns and more like you're just doing this looking for trouble so you can make yourself sound superior in some way. I'm more than willing to have a mature conversation about this, but I'd appreciate it if you approached this with the same level of maturity.

I'm genuinely sorry, but I laughed here, because wow are you assuming incorrectly.

I say that all the time. It was no insult, the fact you took it as such speaks of you, not me. I'm not being immature, you're just being really sensitive for some reason. Use context with the lines before it, and you'll see that. The only one making this personal is you.

I present the flaws in logic and presentation, nothing more.

You also go in circles a lot, as if in an attempt to fluff your points.

So since YCM finally let me post: I gotta drop out due to time constrains. From Friday to Sunday, I'll be out of town, possibly for 2 days more, and before that I gotta prepare/take care of some stuff, so I might not necessarily have time or be in mindset for competitive YGO.

Archived