Archetype Generator Meta

Draconus297

The answer is a resounding no, regardless. The Link format rules themselves are stupid, and Link monsters rub me the wrong way, especially given how few good generic ones Konami has deigned to make. The mechanic was just not well thought out, and I refuse to abide by it or anything it produces, especially considering that I have not seen a single new archetype in the Link era that looked even moderately interesting, which is less than I can say for every era previous, and that is just sad.

Konami may be taking the piss, but we shouldn't be so foolish.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you want to design Links, then just make them on your own outside the club. To be fair, I'm probably the only one in this club (well, add in Kyumi to an extent) who is even willing to address VRAINS, despite my own complaints about Links. (I have been talking about my personal project that does involve Link design, but I haven't gotten to it much yet).

I'll look over Stuffimols later.

I don't mind Links at all, other than the reduction to pendulums power. Pendulums were my favorite addition to the game, and when they lost power, D/D/Ds got nerfed, HARD. That's my only problem with Links. Special Summoning from extra Deck problems are easy to get around, I've done it before. I just don't like the pendulum nerf.

We all hate the Pendulum nerf; they got the worst from the new changes, given how they function in general. Though, it would be nice if Konami had a legacy format, but apparently they scrapped it. 

Oh hell, I have a Synchro spam Archetype offsite that doesn't really care about the new rules because they either ladder or can sit on bosses long enough. 

====

Should really post some of the Links I made in that game thread; would do some good to keep CC live for a while.

.... I kinda like the Pendulum nerf. For starters, the Pendulum Zones should've been in the Spell/Trap Zones in the first place. As for the whole "you can only Special Summon 1 Pendulum from your Extra Deck at a time" shenanigans, I think it would be really cool to see the Pendulum/Link archetypes that would come out of it.

I think Pendulum Summoning is a lot more interesting of a mechanic now than it ever was, but it definitely hurt the Decks using the mechanic. They'll probably get some archetypes and support that'll help alleviate the blow (Link Peformpal monsters would be hilarious).

So yeah I think the nerf did its job, just hurts how bad it affected some of the Decks.

You're entitled to your opinion, but, to use a long-standing Internet phrase, "keep that sheet out of my house". The Pendulum nerf took what I believed were the two most fun parts of the mechanic (going ham with lots of monsters at once, and essentially two additional S/T Zones to play with) and slaughtered them. There's a reason that I played Magician Magician- Spell Counters and Pendulums: it was fun, and it played with the way the mechanics interacted. Without essentially having 7 ways to get Counters, the Deck just wouldn't be as fast and fun.

In any case, next Monday will be my next big support wave in my Legacy thread (notably, Speedroids, Predaplants, Fossils, Aliens, Evil HERO, and Prysm are getting guaranteed support this time), and Tygrr should be finished at roughly the same time (I'm mostly just hemming and hawing over which Attribute I want to focus the archetype around, or if I want to play with a bit more spread). That said, I would appreciate any reviews in said thread, in any archetypes that you guys have thoughts on- given that you yourself made Gladiator Beast support, Eshai, I'd like to know your opinion on the mini-wave I added, for example.

In addition, if anyone would like a small list of my own archetypes that most need support in my opinion, for anyone wanting to start their own AGM Legacy thread, then feel free to ask- I'm mostly done compiling one.

.... I kinda like the Pendulum nerf. For starters, the Pendulum Zones should've been in the Spell/Trap Zones in the first place. As for the whole "you can only Special Summon 1 Pendulum from your Extra Deck at a time" shenanigans, I think it would be really cool to see the Pendulum/Link archetypes that would come out of it.

I think Pendulum Summoning is a lot more interesting of a mechanic now than it ever was, but it definitely hurt the Decks using the mechanic. They'll probably get some archetypes and support that'll help alleviate the blow (Link Peformpal monsters would be hilarious).

So yeah I think the nerf did its job, just hurts how bad it affected some of the Decks.

I kinda doubt PPals will get a Link member [well, least anytime in near future], but certainly a Pendulum support Link would be useful to them and other Decks that got sheet on by VRAINS. Then again, we've yet to see how that new Pendulum Archetype in EXFO fans out besides the two members we have now. 

====

I really think Konami could've done this a lot better or didn't force Links onto the Extra Deck users, but yeah, they make the game (even if we think their decisions are dumber than some of the bad stuff I've seen in CC over the years) so... Just wish they didn't make a bulk of them all Cyberse(-reliant), because Yusaku's cards aren't even that good right now, sans Firewall and Decode.

On that note, Yusaku has more anger issues than old Shun in ARC-V, and YCM had some words about him back then concerning that. So yeah...your new protagonist has anger issues with a bland Deck; make of that as you will. Maybe he'll shape up in the end; IDK. (Although, a choice few members beg to differ in that thread about how the series is going, but...)

====

Going away from Yusaku criticism and back to AGM stuff, I do have a list of Archetypes I'm going to add legacy supports to; majority of which are generally back support that I need for self and have been mentioning in passing here. Will need to look at the list of Archetypes to see what interests me.

Cosmorider/Comsoraptor (LIGHT Warriors/Dinosaurs) is easily the single worst archetype in the AGM- I honestly doubt that any card in the archetype would even be teched into a decent Deck, mostly because the entire Deck is absurdly inconsistent, and even once it gets going, it's outclassed. If anyone needs support, it's them.

Think of it this way- GameChild, an archetype that was not designed with any sort of synergy in mind, has a really solid draw engine, a very interesting and powerful boss that cards like Heralding Doll could ease the Summoning restriction of, and an out to some of the most terrifying single monsters in the AGM (GameChild Vespid bounces any monster of a short list of Types to your hand, and if the monster is an ED monster it goes to your Extra Deck, the last place where your opponent could ever reach it. Combine this with DNA Surgery, and . . .).

Other archetypes in my list wanting of help are:

●Flarem is tiny, and needs a way to get their Xyz plays started. Maybe some new Equip Spells, too, because I only made two.

●Geargoyle just needs more of a Main Deck in general, or maybe their own Denglong.

●Darkhorse also needs more of a varied Main Deck monster lineup, to ease up Synchro Fusion plays.

●Penumbral Fair needs some additional consistency, but probably not too much- they are a LIGHT/DARK troll Deck.

●Sorcery Hydras could benefit from more Xyz options, and maybe a few more neat Main Deckers.

●I really wish I had more knowledge on pop songs/places where pop musicians perform, because Dream☆Dream has a neat way to cycle through Field and Continuous Spell support, but not very many Field and Continuous Spells.

●Vigilizards could use a couple odd Fusions, and maybe one more Main Deck member, but I ran out of Dark Scorpion monsters to improve with the Main Deck members.

●Auras had a fun concept, but very little monster presence.

Then again, I technically wrote the prompt and gave you one of the members, so...I should at least look at it. But yeah, I'll get to it on Thursday because "who the hell thought it was a good idea to make me study for traffic engineering / fluid mechanics on same day, even if open book test on both.

(Least I get a period to somewhat study in-between / handle other sheet, and not back to back, unlike the case with linear algebra and statics last spring.)

Draconus, I was looking for an Equip Spell that sets all damage the monster deals to 1000, but then I stumbled on this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=yugioh+all+damage+is+set+to+1000&safe=strict&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiI2ojU9cXWAhUBUmMKHVLCCY0Q_AUICigB&biw=1600&bih=904#imgrc=dnANzYqOHQrtOM:

Is this where you got your picture from?

Kyumi, if you want your stuff to be reviewed, should probably repost the thread as that kid did necrobump it and I can't make an exception to keeping it open. Also may want to post the cards correctly [as in have the pics up in the thread completely instead of linking]. 

===

Then again, because the matter got brought up, I guess if Eshai plans on doing it, he can go make legacy Evil HEROs. If you think they should be like BAs and stuff, go ahead and design them. Konami sure as hell won't (or is unlikely to do so at this time).

(But then again, there are a few TCG vets who don't want HEROs to get more support than necessary and a few of them are salty about Dark Law. Blame MC 2 and I guess Konami deciding that it was okay to make a one-sided Macro Cosmos / punishing searchers despite Cosmos still being Limited to this day.)

IDK how to do that. Otherwise, I would always post the pics as actual pics instead of links. But thx for the heads up. As for a link to them, here:

https://forum.yugiohcardmaker.net/topic/365550-the-cute-stuffimols-custom-archetype/

Edit: nvm. I Will repost them soon. That way y'all can talk about them without necrobumping them

Well, whatever happened, let's all hope it never happens again.

Also, Card of the Week just in time for Monday:

Rail Cannon Delinquent

EARTH - Level 4 - Machine/Effect - 1800/1000

Once per turn, during either player's turn, you can move this card you control to an adjacent unoccupied Monster Card Zone, and if you do, inflict 200 damage to your opponent for every card in the same column as this card (including this one). If a card is flipped face-up, this monster gains 200 ATK. This monster is unaffected by the effects of Trap Cards.

Now, this card has 4 support Traps thus far (the "Rail" series), and although I've tasked Eshai with adding to it, it's still a pretty interesting gimmick all its own, mostly because it's best friends with cards like Scrap-Iron Scarecrow, and might benefit from Asport.

Archived