YCM Grand Pokémon Tournament 6

Flash Flyer - Sakura

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Quarterfinals are done, and next up are the semifinals (medal fights).

We have 5 competitors (because by a stroke of luck, both of my remaining noms forced a tie and moved on together), but that shouldn't be much of an issue.

One match will be a triple (obviously) and the other is regular.

Even if we get a tie, whoever wins in the semis will face off in the finals.

It's also interesting to note that aside from Xerneas, everyone remaining is from Hoenn.

Well, as of this round, Latias breaks her tournament track record + makes it to the medaling rounds.

That's an accomplishment of her own (though record for noms in general is still runner-up by Lucario, who unfortunately is no longer here)

But yeah, Jirachi is also in contention for a medal, so there's that.

That's good.

----

Kill list-wise, it's down to only one 'mon.

Lilligant is down, so that's good, though the black marked Altaria moves on.

I am surprised Masquerain won tbh, and for reference Lance lost to Archie (manga Archie to be exact as he/Guile Hideout had a Masquerain in the Emerald chapter of Adventures).

Latias and Xerneas both moving on, you could say that was a bit of a miracle.

Even if we get a tie, whoever wins in the semis will face off in the finals.

If we do get a tie in the semis, then it'd only be the 3 finalists that'll be getting a medal.

[spoiler=Kill list for the semis]

Jirachi

Altaria

I haven't gotten that far in Emerald Adventures (though again, blame lack of access to the chapters).

Think there's a manga site that has scans of them; that's acceptable enough for my taste.

But yeah, if we get a tie in the semis, that's how things will turn out.

---

Indeed, I had expected Dragonite to trash Masquerain, but that came out as an upset.

Though, Masquerain still living means that it's still on my kill list (but last one, so once it dies, my kill list is cleaned out)

Both of us have kill targets that are blacklisted.

Yeah, as far as match logic goes.

(I do have 4th place medals in case stuff happens; not as pristine as regular ones, but it's something.)

So in case stuff happens.

• Co-champions or co-runner-ups; Latias and Jirachi get 3rd place
  • Regular stuff; Latias/Jirachi get 4th.

And apparently yes, Masquerain made it.

iU8EggM.png

Xerneas won this one, though it probably deserved it.

Rest well, Latias-chan, you fought your best and broke your record; that's about as much as I can ask from you.

If you'll excuse me, I'm taking my Eon out for dinner as commemoration for her progress.

Xerneas can handle itself.

They get 4th place medals (which aren't as pretty as standard gold-silver-bronze, but we'll see).

Like I mentioned above, if there's a tie in the final, then Latias/Jirachi get bumped up to third place.

(I probably should've changed my vote to Altaria when I had the chance; would've killed off my last bingo target, and final would've been simpler to deal with)

It'll probably break eventually, assuming we get the usual people who vote for Altaria.

Come to think of it, I'm still unsure if people are doing it because Altaria's actually good [and yeah, it got good this generation] or because of other reasons (one of them being in a similar vein to me/Zextra with our own avatars). Not going to question it though, but just out of interest.

Though we might get Xerneas voters, and that'll push a Kalos Poke into contention for the champion tournament.

Or we get another upset; who knows.

Well...Masquerain managed to pull another close upset over Xerneas and Nai.

So in conclusion, it wins.

(Though, one vote could've made all of the difference either way; whether it forces a champion tie or a runner-up one)

With this, I pass on the GPT reins to whoever's hosting the 7th rendition of this tournament, whenever this may be, and declare the end of GPT 6. 

----

I'll leave this open for a couple hours for last minute thoughts and stuff, then I'll lock it.

I suppose there were enough people who wanted to see a really gimmicky Poke win, especially faced off against Xerneas and Nai (you know this means Altaria, right?), which are a lot more viable.

Though, as I mentioned, it was a rather close match (Xerneas had the lead for a good while, but Masquerain suddenly came out of the back burner).

Well, at least Xerneas got silver, so that's a good thing.

----

I suppose we could have a hypothetical match about what would've happened if it were just Masquerain and Altaria (if, for some reason, I didn't want the final to be a 3-way, and they settle the scores). Nah, probably not.

That's why I voted against the notion.

So in order, assuming my memory hasn't gone down to sheet yet in terms of GPT winners:

• Flygon
  • Rayquaza (not under my command, I think)
  • Vaporeon
  • Zigzagoon
  • Venusaur
  • Masquerain

Hmm, this list contains mostly Hoenn 'mons and two Kanto ones.

Nothing from Johto and nothing from Sinnoh and beyond...yet.

Archived