Pokemon Gen 1

Flame Dragon

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lets be honest- Literally non of us will give a sheet about actual strategy.

You know why? We will all do this:

Sweep the game with your starter -> Catch other Pokemon along the way -> Whole team goes to Level 100 upon entering Cinnabar :^)

I'm actually going to do a totally legit run like any other Pokemon game. Just with all the insane nonsense that is gen 1.

And then there's me who basically crit slashed through the whole game...

My body is totally ready for the perfect X-Accuracies and lack of held items tho.

O right, almost forgot crits were different in gen 1. This is going to be beautiful.

When I play, I go for a little diversity, meaning, when I have a team of types to go up against I'm ready. For Blaine, Blastoise, Golem, Dugtrio, Starmie, Rhydon and Kabutops.

That seems really excessive. Like, you need to keep training up whole teams just for a single fight. Like Golem + Starmie would be more than enough to get through Blane.

That seems really excessive. Like, you need to keep training up whole teams just for a single fight. Like Golem + Starmie would be more than enough to go through Blaine.

Funnily enough, he already does this in his slow-ass playthrough of the Gen 6 games and posts his teams (whenever the dub gets to a gym battle) in the anime thread.

I agree though, it is really excessive training an entire team of outs when not all of them will be used in that single fight.

Exactly, This was WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY before the EXP Share was broken, heck, Holding items does not exist.

But anyway, Diversity is the spice of life. I have a team ready to take down the E4.

Zapdos with move set mentioned.

Articuno with Ice Beam, Bubble Beam, Blizzard and Fly.

Alakazam with Psybeam, Recover, Psychic and Reflect.

My Red starter will be Charizard with Wing Attack, Flamethrower, Fire Spin and Slash

Blue starter will be Blastoise with Dig, Ice Beam, Skull Bash and Hydro Pump

Starmie with Thunderbolt, Psychic, Hydro Pump and Ice Beam

and last but not least, Nidoking with Earthquake, Poison Sting, Hyper Beam and Double Kick.

Neat huh? Not the best but it is Gen I.

Hey guys, remember how Twitch's Venomoth beat Lance's Dragonite because said Dragonite kept using Barrier?

SO..... HOW ABOUT WE SOLO DRAGONITE WITH A CATTERPIE!? =D

I'll be sitting here with my equally OP Normal-types spamming Hyper Beam

....Only if you knock out a Pokemon with them.

I mean, that's not very different from Psychic-types. Admittingly, the thing they need removed is other Psychic-types (oh, and Chansey if you have one on your team), but the only things really stopping Normal-types is Gengar and Rock-types. Gengar is frail and doesn't enjoy taking Earthquakes from Tauros, and Rock-types aren't that hard to remove considering they have abysmal Special except for like Omastar.

Normal-types are still absurd in RBY, especially because of Body Slam and Hyper Beam being ridiculous moves and their expansive movepools. They also essentially have no weakness competitively (Fighting-type is one of the worst typings in the game in RBY, and no one is rushing to use Fighting-type moves for coverage just yet).

I mean, that's not very different from Psychic-types. Admittingly, the thing they need removed is other Psychic-types (oh, and Chansey if you have one on your team), but the only things really stopping Normal-types is Gengar and Rock-types. Gengar is frail and doesn't enjoy taking Earthquakes from Tauros, and Rock-types aren't that hard to remove considering they have abysmal Special except for like Omastar.

Normal-types are still absurd in RBY, especially because of Body Slam and Hyper Beam being ridiculous moves and their expansive movepools. They also essentially have no weakness competitively (Fighting-type is one of the worst typings in the game in RBY, and no one is rushing to use Fighting-type moves for coverage just yet).

Body Slam's ability to always paralyze is really damn silly.

Especially as that move does recoil damage.

1/4 of the damage dealt, same as Double Edge. Only that has 20 more power and acc.

As I've been saying, its amazing how bad the first gen was.

O, also, fighting was a lot worse simply because 2/5 types its good against didn't even exist yet. Not to mention Psychic being OP and all the Poison types.

Quick count has 31 poison types.

I think the only really good Fighting type is Hitmonless. Everyone else was forced to use Submission if they wanted a Fighting move and that move REALLY sucks.

I'd argue that Machamp is the only other good Fighting-type due to its stats being not bad (for one, unlike Hitmonlee, it can actually take a hit). It just really needs Paralysis support because of its abysmal speed.

I'd argue that Machamp is the only other good Fighting-type due to its stats being not bad (for one, unlike Hitmonlee, it can actually take a hit). It just really needs Paralysis support because of its abysmal speed.

Machamp also looks fine. I like Hitmonless since it can actually outrun things and has a decent STAB move. Champ is likely the better one for more competitive play since survivability is pretty important to my understanding. Honestly, you seem to know a fair bit more about Gen 1 in that regard than I do.

I really hope they fix all the glitches (specially the Psychic-Ghost one). And would it be too much asking for the once-planned female PC to be available this time? Also, please, GF/Nintendo/TPCi, release the rest of the previous generations as well, at least the first 3. I don't want the 20th anniversary to be solely about Gen I :/

I really hope they fix all the glitches (specially the Psychic-Ghost one). And would it be too much asking for the once-planned female PC to be available this time? Also, please, GF/Nintendo/TPCi, release the rest of the previous generations as well, at least the first 3. I don't want the 20th anniversary to be solely about Gen I :/

I would honestly be sad if they removed the Psychic-Ghost screw up. Though even if they did it won't matter. The best Ghost attack is Lick and comes of Gengar's nonexistent physical stat to throw extra salt on the wound.

Female PC would be cool, but again, unlikely.

With Gen 1 coming out the others are options, but they don't carry the same nostalgia as Gen 1. That or the same degree of broken. The 20th anniversary focusing on Gen 1 is likely what will happen. That and the release of Z at the end of the month.

Archived