Pokemon Gen 1

Flame Dragon

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow, I'm just now noticing that Charmander has it really rough early RB (I always usually roll with Bulba / Squirt). Why does Nidoran get Double Kick at like level 40ish in RB ;_;

Yea, I remember being floored when I realized that. I think I was having a discussion as to the best way to fight Brock with Charmander in Gen 1 and when I looked at the Pokemon you could get I slowly realized that the only non Flying, Fire, Poison, or Normal attack you get was Confusion. Charmander is honestly just hard mode.

Charmander is honestly just hard mode.

...Only until you beat Misty.

I mean-

You get Dig from the one house in Cerulean/use it to beat Surge

Fire-Type wins over Erika

Sabrina might annoy you, sure, but shes still easy because her Psychic-Types are laughable

Koga loses to Dig; Levitate doesn't exist yet :^)

Blaine loses to Dig OR if you catch a team of Level 30 Water-Types and teach them all Surf, that also beats Blaine

Giovanni might be an issue, but still fairly easy.

running through it with a Venusaur, a Jolteon, and Gyarados. i need nothing more to destroy this game. unless the mew glitch is still there.

matter of fact, do you think the cloning glitch will still be in this? and will we have t leave a team slot open because they don't get sent to the pc automatically? and obviously most important, is rage gonna be as busted as it was, or will they fix it?

Hey, you know... Without glitches, you can skip Surge, Erika, and Sabrina, and go straight to Koga. From there, you go to Blaine and have acess to the Mew Glitch.

I mean, I'm pretty sure you don't need Strength nor Fly to get to Cinnabar. At least, if I remember correctly. Just be a pro and stock up on Max Repels.

I'm thinking back on the sort of teams I made back in the day, and I honestly can't remember what I did. In recent generations I've always just caught and trained every single Pokemon that I liked aesthetically, which often lead to me having several teams of dozens of different Pokemon. But for Gen I, I can't think of anything, since a fair amount of the early Pokemon are kinda lame, looking back.

...Only until you beat Misty.

I mean-

You get Dig from the one house in Cerulean/use it to beat Surge

Fire-Type wins over Erika

Sabrina might annoy you, sure, but shes still easy because her Psychic-Types are laughable

Koga loses to Dig; Levitate doesn't exist yet :^)

Blaine loses to Dig OR if you catch a team of Level 30 Water-Types and teach them all Surf, that also beats Blaine

Giovanni might be an issue, but still fairly easy.

Charizard can just take the fire attacks from Blaine and flying makes EQ useless for Giovanni. After Misty it more or less evens out since by then you have access to more good pokemon.

running through it with a Venusaur, a Jolteon, and Gyarados. i need nothing more to destroy this game. unless the mew glitch is still there.

matter of fact, do you think the cloning glitch will still be in this? and will we have t leave a team slot open because they don't get sent to the pc automatically? and obviously most important, is rage gonna be as busted as it was, or will they fix it?

I'm honestly curious how many of the glitches they'll fix. I know in the direct they said they were going to try and keep as much of the original stuff as possible. Rage is almost for sure going to still be busted though.

A couple things I won't miss though was the pack/item limit, and the fact that the PC doesn't heal your 'mon.

I forgot item limits was a thing for the first 3 Gens. And it doesn't? Thats......wow. Didn't know that one. 

honestly you make it sound harder than it is against brock if you get a charmander. just level to like 14-15 and spam stab ember, shouldn't be more than 2 attempts.

Compared to just needing a Water/Grass move on the other two it is LOADS more difficult. Not helped by Misty being Water. Simply saying that going with Charmander creates several extra hurdles to get through than if you use the other two.

Hey, you know... Without glitches, you can skip Surge, Erika, and Sabrina, and go straight to Koga. From there, you go to Blaine and have acess to the Mew Glitch.

I mean, I'm pretty sure you don't need Strength nor Fly to get to Cinnabar. At least, if I remember correctly. Just be a pro and stock up on Max Repels.

Yea, I realized that a while ago when trying to figure out my team. Its like, I have to wait until I have this many badges before I can get this Pokemon. Then I stopped and thought about it and it hit me that you can do gyms 3-6 in any order with 7 only needing surf. I honestly like that ability. Though the levels still bias you towards the correct order.

I forgot about the item limit in the bag, that's going to be a pain.

As for teams, in recent generations I went with a mix of pokemon I liked aesthetically and if my teams have older pokemon, I'd go with 'mons I haven't used before.

Whenever I build a team for in-game I always plot it out before I get it and only use those Pokemon. Made my Black run fun since my 3rd Pokemon was obtained after Gym 5. Other rules are

-Try to not use Pokemon I've used before

-Try to only use Pokemon from the Gen (ORAS used only Gen 3 Pokemon for example)

-Try to have STAB x2 hits on all mono-types

I didn't know the PC didn't heal your pokemon either.

Whenever I build a team for in-game I always plot it out before I get it and only use those Pokémon. Made my Black run fun since my 3rd Pokemon was obtained after Gym 5. Other rules are

- Try to not use Pokémon I've used before

- Try to use Pokémon from the Gen (ORAS only used Gen 3 Pokémon fro example)

- Try to have STAB x2 hits on all mono-types

The only time I had used pokemon from only that Generation was with Diamond/Platinum as well as with Black & White. Other than that, I try to not use pokemon I've used before in some of my in-game teams, but I've clearly broken that rule in the past.

I'm thinking for a Team, I'll just do what I always do, and pick favorites. So it will be something like....

Blastoise

Arcanine

Rapidash

Nidoking

Raichu

Aerodactyl

Which means I'm likely going to play Red.

I mean, I could buy both versions, but still.

Yea, I realized that a while ago when trying to figure out my team. Its like, I have to wait until I have this many badges before I can get this Pokemon. Then I stopped and thought about it and it hit me that you can do gyms 3-6 in any order with 7 only needing surf. I honestly like that ability. Though the levels still bias you towards the correct order.

Mew Glitch makes the Levels moot :Kappa:

Back in my day I'd go Pikachu, Butterfree, Pidgeot, Charizard, Venasaur, and Blastoise.  Every single time. 

Taking on the role of Red are you? Did their genders match too? xD

It'll be interesting to see how many of the glitches make it to the reissue. Was there are news on if they were going to revise any of the content? 

Taking on the role of Red are you? Did their genders match too? xD

It'll be interesting to see how many of the glitches make it to the reissue. Was there are news on if they were going to revise any of the content?

There was not. The best we have to go on is this quote from the direct.

"We've done what we can to preserve the games exactly as they were"

I'd assume almost everything will be carried over, including all those fun glitches.

There was not. The best we have to go on is this quote from the direct.

"We've done what we can to preserve the games exactly as they were"

I'd assume almost everything will be carried over, including all those fun glitches.

Exciting to think that people will be able to be overwhelmed with nostalgia, and the younger generation will catch a glimpse of the past xD. I kinda wish I owned a 3DS just so I could experience it. Can you imagine how many inexperienced people will ragequit do to ridiculous glitches? x'D

Exciting to think that people will be able to be overwhelmed with nostalgia, and the younger generation will catch a glimpse of the past xD. I kinda wish I owned a 3DS just so I could experience it. Can you imagine how many inexperienced people will ragequit do to ridiculous glitches? x'D

I imagine anyone who started with Gen 4 or later will find the games nearly unplayable. Just on the base of the EXTREME lack of moves, the special stat, and the pre-atk/sp.atk split the first gen lacks SO much of what modern pokemon games have. Hell, I imagine the casual players who started with Gen 1 and kept playing since will be shocked to see how many issues the gen has. I'm really interested to see how the Genwunners react to it.

I imagine anyone who started with Gen 4 or later will find the games nearly unplayable. Just on the base of the EXTREME lack of moves, the special stat, and the pre-atk/sp.atk split the first gen lacks SO much of what modern pokemon games have. Hell, I imagine the casual players who started with Gen 1 and kept playing since will be shocked to see how many issues the gen has. I'm really interested to see how the Genwunners react to it.

Yeah, in a way the game didn't have much balance. I don't know if you could confirm, but I remember crits were ridiculous to. If you don't mind me asking, who are the Genwunners?

Yeah, in a way the game didn't have much balance. I don't know if you could confirm, but I remember crits were ridiculous to. If you don't mind me asking, who are the Genwunners?

Yes. The way crits worked in Gen 1 was as followed

-They keyed off speed. So faster pokemon had higher critical hit rates. The equation is Base Speed / 512. Moves with a high critical ratio have Base Speed / 64. You cannot have a 100% chance. The highest is 99.6%. This also applies for accuracy.

-Focus Energy and Dire Hit do not work. They instead make it 4 times less likely to get a critical. Base Speed / 2048

-The damage increase was based on level, meaning higher level pokemon do more damage on a critical

-They ignore ALL stat modifications. This includes both the bad (growl/harden) and good (swords dance/tail whip)

Genwunners are the type of people who think the First Generation are the best and badmouth the later ones for not being as good/original/etc.

Yes. The way crits worked in Gen 1 was as followed

-They keyed off speed. So faster pokemon had higher critical hit rates. The equation is Base Speed / 512. Moves with a high critical ratio have Base Speed / 64. You cannot have a 100% chance. The highest is 99.6%. This also applies for accuracy.

-Focus Energy and Dire Hit do not work. They instead make it 4 times less likely to get a critical. Base Speed / 2048

-The damage increase was based on level, meaning higher level pokemon do more damage on a critical

-They ignore ALL stat modifications. This includes both the bad (growl/harden) and good (swords dance/tail whip)

Genwunners are the type of people who think the First Generation are the best and badmouth the later ones for not being as good/original/etc.

Ah, I see now. Thank you for clearing term up ^-^

Point exactly x'D First Gen crits were my absolute worst nightmare. I hadn't known that all that went into them, but it seems a little outrageous to be honest xD. That's Gen 1 for ya, I guess.

Gen 1 is full of ALL kinds of fun. Honestly, I've been fascinated with the idea of doing a LP on the games to show how different everything was. The rerelease certainly makes the dream that much closer to a reality.

I wouldn't even mind watching it in all honesty xP You should do a Nuzlocke LP of one or both of the games too.

Archived