How To Update Pokemon?

I know mostly what goes here is discussing games themselves but I wanted to make a thread for this.

Basically what I'm talking about is what mechanics or updates do you think would make for a better Pokemon game? Could be simple things like removing HMs, or more complicated things like a trainer stat system.

Story related, gameplay related, etc etc. What have you got in mind, YCM?

An item that lets Pokemon have a fifth move!

But in all seriousness, I haven't touched Alpha/Omega at all, so my impressions come from XY and earlier.

-Go back to the old EXP. Share. Having all 'mon gain EXP made things super easy (yeah, you can turn it off, but that makes grinding too long. The original Share was a nice medium)

-Bring back Radio and allow you to play soundtracks that you heard in-game. Maybe some rare item if you get all the songs.

-Remote Daycare access.

-High cost items that can replace HM users in the party (ie. "Hedge Shears" instead of a Cutter, "Water Scooter" instead of a Surfer, etc.) They can be made less efficient though so the Pokemon are better (ie. "Water Scooter" moves at half the speed of a Surfer)

I probably have some other ideas, but these struck me now.

I would like them to further equalize the Base Stats of fully evolved Pokemon. There are 3rd stage Pokemon out there that are simply outclassed by 2-stages and of course single-stages, most notably the early game rodents and bug Pokemon.

Changing/fixing the types on some Pokemon. There are a few of them who in my opinion got the stats, abilities and movepool to be great, but their average or bad typings hold them back. For instance, I have always thought that Aggron should have been pure-Steel. Bug/Flying is also generally a bad type combination because of all the weaknesses stacked.

Alternatively, re-balancing the type strengths and weaknesses would help, too. Before Fairy-Type, Poison was practically the worse typing around. That's no longer the case of course, but what I mean is that adjusting the types here and there could have an enjoyable impact on the game.

Giving that specific 1 move to Pokemon that would take it to a whole new level. There are Pokemon who practically got it all, except for 1 move. I don't have any specific examples at the moment but, for instance, more than once I have wished a defensive Pokemon had a recovery move (Slack Off, Recover) to be more reliable. I suppose Tentacruel would be a remarkable example?

Anyway, not including a link in order to not advertise directly, but Smogon Forums has a thread going on about Theorymon, where they propose different Pokemon with a single change (an specific move added to its movepool, a different ability or losing/gaining/changing 1 type) and I want to mention they have come up with really clever and cool ideas.

-High cost items that can replace HM users in the party (ie. "Hedge Shears" instead of a Cutter, "Water Scooter" instead of a Surfer, etc.) They can be made less efficient though so the Pokemon are better (ie. "Water Scooter" moves at half the speed of a Surfer)

I really like this idea. It's always been a pain to have a Pokemon with an HM move by endgame. It's important that you as a player will need to take on certain pokemon for their HM moves during the journey but by the end game it becomes more of a pain than anything else(and I absolutely detest the idea of HM slaves). I would be fine with this even without having the items be less efficient than their Pokemon HM counterparts.

Other than that, I guess, some attempt to make Pokemon more regionally varied would be nice. Since with the 3DS I hear Wonder Trade has you randomly trade with just about anyone in the world already, I think having some Pokemon availability change depending on the region you're in would be pretty neat.

Mega Evolutions are cool, but I agree with people that've said we need to get rid of them in future generations. Gathering the Stones will eventually become way too tedious, Split Mega Evolutions are kind of obnoxious in terms of countering, and the idea of them is just...eh. It stunts pokemon that SHOULD get an evolution (Why didn't Banette get one when Dusclops did?????) And pretty much anyone that wants a pokemon to get better just needs to pray for a Mega.

Also undeletable HMs are obnoxious. We can't deposit them anymore, There's no pokemon that can lose the ability to learn HMs via evolution (irrc), you can't get rid of pokemon besides trading them, and if you can trade them away, you can trade for them back. And hell, you can use GTS or Online to just ask for some shitty pokemon HM slave in exchange for local Pokemon.

Also please have a hard mode in more games. B2W2 were legit hard in challenge mode, but XY, even without EXP share are so ridiculously eaaaasssssy. 3 Pokemon Per Gym Leader? 4 per Elite 4? Geezus, that's too few. 

Also, make EVERY TM/HM move from previous gens as a Move tutor move at least. So obnoxious with stuff like Defog.

I don't like the idea of changing types and stats to make not so good Pokemon better, I like having a variety there.

I personally just would like to remove HMs entirely, and have gym leaders give the things to travel past certain roadblocks instead.

Mega Evolution was a tricky thing because too many and it gets ridiculous and too few and people complain about "why did these get it and not these"

I think, and have always thought, the EXP Share should have options. Basically where you can have it work for one, two, three, four, five, or all six, Pokemon.

Also. I kinda want the MC to actually have some dialogue. And maybe some dialogue choices that can change certain things? It might be interesting to see what they could change, story-wise, then.

Also more NPCs that are interesting and not just information dumps. My biggest pet peeve in RPGs and Pokemon does it a lot. They seem to be getting better at that.

I was wondering, would it be possible to make customizable trainers somehow? Like, what kind of attributes could one give the trainers?

That "profile" thing on PSS might matter more if it tied into Trainer abilities. Say, for example, you list your favorite Pokémon as Pawniard- what better way for this to show than to basically give a free Acupressure (random stat up) to a Pawniard you throw out? Listing your favorite Type might up the encounter rate of Pokémon of that specific Type (making things that run, explode, or are just plain rare slightly easier to catch).

Also, there is the possibility of Trainer Class (selected via that guy in the first or second Pokémon Center you come across) abilities, like Ace Trainers increasing the Accuracy of their 'mons, Delinquents giving a Quick Claw-esque effect to theirs, Swimmers having increased speed while Surfing, etc.

I don't really know, I'm of the opinion that the formula works the way it is, but theorycrafting is always fun.

Aside from Waterfal, Surf, and maybe Strength, basically all HM moves are useless in battle. Replacing them with various key items (wetsuit, gardening scizors, etc.) would make it so they don' clutter movepools as much, though I would probably make them slightly more usable in battle by altering their type, basepower and/or accuracy. Also I don't know why "Fly" is considered an HM, it is just a move for convenience. And it sort of got replaced with the "Eon Flute" (flying on Latios/Latias' back).

On the topic of moves which can be used outside of battle, it would be cool if you could set the weather for the route by using "Rain dance", "Sunny day", "Hail" and "Sandstorm".

In Pokemon Gold and Silver shuckle had the ability to turn berries into Berry Juice, which could then turn into Rare candies. Returning this feature, and adding similar abilities for others would be awsome (in my opinion).

Could be simple things like removing HMs

I'm more of the opinion they should go back to making HMs more useful. In particular, making strength do more than just provide shortcuts. That bugged me with a "what the hell man?" more than ever having to use an HM slave, although I must admit it was close. But the roadblock items would be a nice middle ground for everyone, I think.

I think the only things here I'd fully agree with is to always have a challenge mode and the usual Exp. Share. Though, nothing against Shuckle, radio, deleting HMs normally, and uh... if the customizable trainers is for the player character, then that does sound far more interesting than not.

I 100% agree with having items in place of HM's, having your team restricted by needing HM users is probably my #1 complaint about Pokemon. Also,I hope they're planning to have character customization in future games, because that was like the best part of X and Y. This I do expect is gonna be in the next game, though, so I'm not too worried about that.

I'd also like more Mega evolutions available before the postgame, because it's annoying how restricted the pool of Megas is for your team in the main story. And it would be nice if they go back to what gen 5 was like story-wise, where Gamefreak at least did something with the story that was less terrible than most Pokemon plots.

I'd prefer if the HM moves were more useful, at least in-game. Maybe changing types, stats and adding new effects (example: Cut having 70% chance of lowering the opponent's defense) would do it.

Also, Ice should totally be resistant to Fairy. GF ought to throw the cool old dog a bone.

Yes, I would fancy the HM moves capable of being stronger to give a Pokemon a reason to use them in battle, but bear in mind how early some HMs appear and the fact that they will outclass a lot of the moves you can learn at that stage in the game (unless you grind or trade). There can be a way to rebalance some of the weaker HMs like Cut or Rock Smash by allowing their base power to scale along with how far you are in the game (either by the Pokemon's Level, happiness, or your Badge count), or by giving them a sweet side effect (e.g. Rock Smash inflicting a -2 Defense instead of -1, or Cut having an abnormally high crit rate)

The main reason why HMs can't be overwritten or their host Pokemon traded out is to prevent the player from getting themselves stuck in the game, usually through insanity.

The main reason why HMs can't be overwritten or their host Pokemon traded out is to prevent the player from getting themselves stuck in the game, usually through insanity.

The trade thing I get. But HMs don't go away, even if overwritten, if you get stuck, they can just re-teach yes?

I think Black/White handled HM's pretty well. At the very least I feel like story progression should never be hindered by the problem of "There's a tree in the road! What do we do!?" Or worse "We gotta cross this lake in the road! Why did the even build the road to have a lake in it!?" The item thing sounds nice too, but I'd rather HM's be left for side stuff and puzzles rather than progression blockers.

Actually on the topic, it'd be kinda interesting to see a more open world Pokemon. I know it's already kinda open world, but I mean more like you'd be allowed to to go from Pallet Town to Cerulean City or something. Basically the ability to move through the world unbound by road restrictions so that there's the "optimal path" and the path the trainer wants to take. I dunno, I just think it'd be kinda cool.

A mobile PC box access would be kinda nice too. Maybe set it on a timer so that people don't just jump into it after every battle, but it does get tedious having to run back and forth between the pc and wherever the funk when you get a new Pokemon you want to use or when you're egg hatching. I don't even mind if it's an endgame item I just think it'd be so much easier to hatch eggs and such.

Oh and most importantly, a funking IV reader that tells you the EXACT IV that Pokemon have instead of a vague guess >.> or maybe an IV calculator? A system like what P4Golden used where it shows you what you're creating before you start breeding? Honestly getting the right IV's is the most tedious and obnoxious thing I've done in Pokemon. I don't mind invisible stats, but when the invisible stats are that crucial to competition it's really annoying.

Maybe make more trainer appearance customization too? It was cool in X/Y and it'd be nice to see that expanded too.

Oh and frequent updates. One of the biggest complaints I have is how the Mega's from ORAS can't be used in or against people playing X/Y. All the need to do is put out an update for X/Y to include those Mega's and the problems solved. I like X/Y better than ORAS too, so I wanna be able to fairly play my friend who uses ORAS with it. I guess this really only bothers me cuz it's such a simple fix :/

Lastly with EXP share, this might be an unpopular opinion, but I think it was fine the way it was in X/Y. Only thing I'd change really is that it should only be that way post game when it'd just be used to help train competition Pokemon. I mean the way it worked WAS balanced, just not for story. Your whole team would get EXP, but in exchange their EV's were effected, so it seems fair for post game stuff, but during the main story nobody really cares that much about EV's yet since it's not as important.

1) Connect to the internet.

2) Download the update Nintendo released for X/Y.

3)???

4) Profit.

----

Okay, in all seriousness, I think I want a better story. Black and White were on a good path.

Let me have friends other than 'You must fight me!! I wanna be better than you!'

That fifth move and seventh pokemon. C'mon, Gamefreak, that'd be awesome.

How about dialogue choices? Let me have an MC with a personality that I want it to have. Heck, how about being able to talk down of the 'evil teams' members if I say the right things? Let the story subtly change depending on my dialogue choices.

How about a relationship system? I can get closer to characters and learn more about them, let them join me in double battles. Get in a relationship with one?

LET ME HAVE A DAD!!!

Oh! Also can NPC trainer's pokemon have nicknames? That's something that's always bugged me.

Only certain trainers have Pokemon with nicknames (generally the ones who trade them to you). Otherwise, they just use their name.

------

Anyway....

Remove certain HM requirements: Pretty sure a lot of us don't want to be carrying something like Cut/Rock Smash to access the same areas late-game, especially with our teams already set up. (Then again, only HMs I really keep on nowadays is Surf/Waterfall, but those are competitively viable so they're fine)

But yeah, access to earlier generation ones in some shape or form would be great too. 

Main character customization: Yeah, at least let us have an option of what we get to say in-game. Most we get is usually yes/no questions (as much as I'd like to suggest being able to program our own text, will require too much coding to implement). Or yeah, at least some spoken dialogue outside of sending Pokemon out. 

Keep the trainer customization that X/Y brought over. That part was really nice. 

(And yeah Gamefreak, please give male players more clothing options)

IV stuff: At least X/Y fixed the one with effort points so we don't have to manually keep track of stuff, but being able to see IVs would be nice. Or hell, even the base stats, so we get an idea. Listing them on the Pokedex pages in-game would be nice. 

More box space: Assume that not everyone wants to spend money on PokeBank for the extra space there; maybe 5 more boxes might be nice (unlocked postgame or something)

Challenge mode: Would be nice to have access to NPC fights where their team is over Level 80 (or even a full Level 100 match). Last time this happened was either Red in HG/SS or the Area 10 bosses in B2W2 White Treehollow/Black City. Or yes, the Secret Base challenges. 

Better word filters: I probably mentioned this in a status somewhere, but now that the games have same release dates, apparently the words that get filtered in each language intermingle. (i.e. someone tries to name their Pokemon/themselves with a foreign name in English letters, but we can't use it because part of said word is a swear word in another language)

Oh yeah, and let us use other accented letters instead of just [é]. 

How about a relationship system? I can get closer to characters and learn more about them, let them join me in double battles. Get in a relationship with one?

LET ME HAVE A DAD!!!

As much as I'd like to second that motion of a relationship thing, don't think the younger players would really care about it. But yeah, being able to partner with another NPC would be nice (as opposed to being forced to either play with a preset NPC or get an IRL friend for certain fights).

You technically have a dad in Hoenn, but yeah it would be nice to have both parents in-game. 

Archived