Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seem to remember OG Stardust not being able to negate Snipe Hunter because the destruction wasn't guaranteed or something. Is this still correct?

Yes. Stardust can only negate the activation of an effect that will definitely destroy a card(s). Since Snipe Hunter has a 33% of not destroying anything, and you won't know whether it will succeed until resolution, Stardust cannot chain to it.

Card X has an effect that sacks a monster to destroy an opponent's monster with DEF equal/less than the ATK of the sacked monster in the Graveyard.

Monster Y has 1200 base ATK, but has an effect that treats its base ATK as 2000 while in the Graveyard.

If Card X sacks Monster Y, does that mean I can destroy a monster with 2000 DEF?

Card X has an effect that sacks a monster to destroy an opponent's monster with DEF equal/less than the ATK of the sacked monster in the Graveyard.

Monster Y has 1200 base ATK, but has an effect that treats its base ATK as 2000 while in the Graveyard.

If Card X sacks Monster Y, does that mean I can destroy a monster with 2000 DEF?

...Yes?

Yes. Are these created cards?

So if Midrash (or any future card limiting Special Summons) is face-up, does that mean 1 attempt at Special Summoning per turn or 1 successful Special Summon per turn?

1 successful Summon. If the Summon is negated, it doesn't count for the limit. Same with S/T limits (Great Shogun Shien).

If Midrash is out, can I use T71?

If not: If an effect is chained to T71 to special summon Midrash, do I still special summon an Over-Hundred Number but just not rank it up?

I'm pretty sure that yes, you can use RUM - The Seventh One if Midrash is out. However, you will not be able to Rank-Up, as Special Summoning the Over-Hundred Number is your one successful Special Summon.

Since The Seventh One is a "then" effect, the Summons occur in sequence, and stops at the point the action cannot be taken. So you will only Summon the Over-Hundred and then stop.

Two questions:

1) If someone attacks Red-Eyes Zombie Dragon with Zombie World on the field, and Red-Eyes wins, does he still get to activate his effect and take the monster, even though it's not his turn?

2) If I normal summon Vampire Vamp and my opponent activates Bottomless Trap Hole, do I get to resolve her effect and take his monster before she gets destroyed?

Yes. Red-Eyes Zombie is a Trigger Effect and can activate on either turn, so long as the Trigger is fulfilled. (Paladin of Cursed Dragon, on the other hand, cannot).

No. Vampire Vamp's effect will be Link 1 and Bottomless will be Link 2. When the chain resolves, Vamp will be destroyed first, and it will be impossible to equip cards to it. The opponent's monster will remain where it is.

A simple question, Qliphoths' effect that have their ATK becomes 1800 When SS'd or NS'd w/o Tribute, could be negated with Skill Drain and will be negated even if Skill Drain leaves the field later, right?

As far as I can tell, yes, it should operate the same way as Beast King Barbaros.

Yes. Red-Eyes Zombie is a Trigger Effect and can activate on either turn, so long as the Trigger is fulfilled. (Paladin of Cursed Dragon, on the other hand, cannot).

No. Vampire Vamp's effect will be Link 1 and Bottomless will be Link 2. When the chain resolves, Vamp will be destroyed first, and it will be impossible to equip cards to it. The opponent's monster will remain where it is.

Thanks very much for the reply. Something I don't understand though. If a Monarch is successfully tribute summoned, he gets his effect, right? Vampire Vamp's effect is also trigger, so why won't it work? Is it because it's optional?

Thanks very much for the reply. Something I don't understand though. If a Monarch is successfully tribute summoned, he gets his effect, right? Vampire Vamp's effect is also trigger, so why won't it work? Is it because it's optional?

The reason is because Monarchs and Vampire Vamp do completely different things involving their targets. None of the Monarch effects specifically interact with ITSELF in addition to the card it's affecting. 

However, Vampire Vamp's effect equips the target to itself. That's the key distinction. Vamp must remain face-up on the Field at resolution to equip a card to itself. If it (or the target) is not on the Field when the effect resolves, you can't equip the targeted card to it.

I thought if a monster tried to equip itself with another monster

and left the field before the effect resolved,

the target went to the Graveyard.

But I don't know why I thought that.

I think that's a ruling for Destiny HERO Plasma, because Plasma is special, or something.

Plasma does have that ruling, but I have no idea why. I'm partially basing my answer on the ruling of No.101/C101, where if 101/C101 leave the Field before resolution, nothing happens to the opponent's monster. I don't think Relinquished has that ruling, but Plasma does.

In any case, if Vamp left the Field before resolution, it would still not do anything, because the target is no longer valid, as Vamp's ATK can't be compared when off the Field.

This is the first time I've come across this situation. If a spirit monster gets hit with Veiler, do they bounce during the end phase or does veiler resolve after the fact? Is it like how breakthrough resolves after a lightsworn and nulls the mill?

This is the first time I've come across this situation. If a spirit monster gets hit with Veiler, do they bounce during the end phase or does veiler resolve after the fact? Is it like how breakthrough resolves after a lightsworn and nulls the mill?

It's the same as Veiler vs Lightsworns. Turn Player can either activate the Spirit/Lightsworn Effect (negated) or pass priority to have the opponent resolve their End Phase effects first (Veiler wearing off), but if they do, the opponent can pass priority back, forcing the Turn Player to activate/resolve first.

Ok, I'm a serious nub here, and I think I know the answer to this, but I'll ask it anyways.

To activate Rain Storm, does the monster's attack need to be either 2000 or 1000? Or can I activate either effect on something like Smokeball?

Archived