Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

Dystopic Barian w/ No.86 Rhongomiant

Who's End Phase Effect activates first? Someone told me one thing and another told me something different.

Given the errata given to cards like Effect Veiler and such, I'd assume Rhongomiant.

"Until the End Phase" or equivalent has become "Until the end of the turn" for all cards, so Barian should have its effect copying fade after Rhongomiant's mandatory detach in the End Phase.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Supervise vs F. Lance

Although the spell stays, do I get to resummon the gemini it was attached to and get the effect? Or is the effect nulled for the turn or something?

If the equipped Gemini was not Gemini Summoned, it will not be able to activate its effect while Lance is applied, unless you Gemini summon it.

If Machina Fortress is targeted by an opponent's monster effect, but you negate the activation of that effect with divine wrath, does your opponent still discard?

I'm thinking no but I'd like to be sure

No, since the effect was never activated.

Minerva and Lumina

if i discard-summon Minerva for the effect of Lumina do i still get the "mill 1" part or does it need to stay in the graveyard to fulfill the effect?

Judging by the last ruling on Mermail Abyssgunde versus D.D. Crow: You would mill 1, because Minerva was discarded and is still part of public information.

I used Felgrand the Divine Dragon Knight on a High Priestess of Prophecy affected by Spellbook of Power.

She was still empowered by the effect and it ran Felgrand down. Is this a bug, or is there something I'm missing about what it means for a card to be unaffected by other card effects.

I used Felgrand the Divine Dragon Knight on a High Priestess of Prophecy affected by Spellbook of Power.

She was still empowered by the effect and it ran Felgrand down. Is this a bug, or is there something I'm missing about what it means for a card to be unaffected by other card effects.

This is a common point of confusion. Spellbook of Power is not a continuous effect. If it's target is hit by something like Felgrand or a Forbidden Lance, Power has already applied it's effect on its target. The monster is no longer being affected.

Normal Spells like Spellbook of Power are never continuous effects. They leave conditions.

Once you let Power resolve, it is no longer "affecting" the monster.

Guys I need somebody to explain me the ruling on Black Horn of Heaven and why it can't kill all special summons.

it's counter, doesn't miss the timing since it isn't phrased "when... you can",

it says when a monster would be special summoned, which a very general term, I tried reading the wikia page to understand the difference between inherent summons and summons by card effect but didn't understand anything.

All of these types of special summon might be different but they all lead to a special summon, like described in Black Horn's eff. so why wouldn't this work ?

oh.

Guys I need somebody to explain me the ruling on Black Horn of Heaven and why it can't kill all special summons.

it's counter, doesn't miss the timing since it isn't phrased "when... you can",

it says when a monster would be special summoned, which a very general term, I tried reading the wikia page to understand the difference between inherent summons and summons by card effect but didn't understand anything.

All of these types of special summon might be different but they all lead to a special summon, like described in Black Horn's eff. so why wouldn't this work ?

oh.

The issue is that the timing window for Summon negation is considered to be before the monster physically hits the Field.

However, when a card effect that starts a chain (such as Monster Reborn) is played, the Special Summon does not happen until Monster Reborn is in the process of resolving on the chain. No card can interrupt an effect while it is resolving, so the timing window for effects that "negate the Summon" cannot be activated until Reborn has finished resolving, at which point, the window to negate the Summon has already passed, because the monster already was successfully Special Summoned.

In short, Summon negation like Black Horn, or Rai-Oh, can only be used against inherent Special Summons, which are Special Summons that do not use a Chain Link. Problem-Solving Card Text makes this slightly easier to understand, as you can now tell which effects are starting a chain (Dragon Rulers start a chain. Judgment Dragon does not).

The issue is that the timing window for Summon negation is considered to be before the monster physically hits the Field.

However, when a card effect that starts a chain (such as Monster Reborn) is played, the Special Summon does not happen until Monster Reborn is in the process of resolving on the chain. No card can interrupt an effect while it is resolving, so the timing window for effects that "negate the Summon" cannot be activated until Reborn has finished resolving, at which point, the window to negate the Summon has already passed, because the monster already was successfully Special Summoned.

In short, Summon negation like Black Horn, or Rai-Oh, can only be used against inherent Special Summons, which are Special Summons that do not use a Chain Link. Problem-Solving Card Text makes this slightly easier to understand, as you can now tell which effects are starting a chain (Dragon Rulers start a chain. Judgment Dragon does not).

what is the timing window for summoning negation? and if I understood correctly, the only effects that can be countered are the ones before a semicolon?

what is the timing window for summoning negation? and if I understood correctly, the only effects that can be countered are the ones before a semicolon?

If an effect has a colon or a semi-colon, it starts a chain. Spells and Traps start a chain by default.

Any Spell or Trap that Special Summons monsters cannot be countered with Black Horn.

Synchro Summons, Xyz Summons, single Pendulum Summons, or inherent Special Summons (Dark Armed Dragon, Cyber Dragon, etc) can be countered with Black Horn.

Does Mist Wurm's effect target? The card states "Return up to 3 cards..." and not "Target up to 3 cards..." (I know it's HA01, but it was never reprinted)

Since it wasn't errata'd does it return cards without targetting?

Non-PSCT cards follow original rulings, not PSCT rulings.

Archived