Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

1. If masked HERO Dark Law/Banisher of the Light/Banisher of the Radiance is in effect and a pendulum monster on the field is destroyed, what happens?

2. Is there any other way to prevent a pendulum monster from going back to the extra deck when it leaves the field?

1. Luckily we now have an official ruling on this.

Q: If Macro Cosmos or Banisher of the Radiance are on the field, will a Pendulum Monster on the field be placed face-up in the Extra Deck if it is destroyed?

A: While the effects of Macro Cosmos or Banisher of the Radiance are being applied, if a Pendulum Monster on the field is destroyed, it will be banished instead of returning to the Extra Deck.

Q: If Dimensional Fissure is on the field, will a Pendulum Monster in a Pendulum Zone be placed face-up in the Extra Deck if it is destroyed?

A: While the effect of Dimensional Fissure is being applied, if a Pendulum Monster in a Pendulum Zone is destroyed, it will not be banished and will be returned to the Extra Deck, since it is treated as a Spell Card while in a Pendulum Zone.

2. Leaving the field doesn't send them to Extra Deck, going to Graveyard does. (Compulse works just fine, if you feel like it) That bit of semantics aside, not really bar the aforementioned banishing tactics, until we get a card with something along the lines of "Cards cannot be sent from the Field to the Extra Deck"

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm getting confused by things so I really need clarification on this for the future.

Does Ghostrick Vanish become an effect that affects everything for the rest of the turn or only the things on the board when it's activated? Because I know Diamond Core protects everything on the board when you use it

I'm getting confused by things so I really need clarification on this for the future.

Does Ghostrick Vanish become an effect that affects everything for the rest of the turn or only the things on the board when it's activated? Because I know Diamond Core protects everything on the board when you use it

"Reveal 1 "Ghostrick" monster in your hand; this turn, "Ghostrick" cards you control, and face-down Defense Position monsters you control, cannot be targeted by, or be destroyed by, card effects."

It applies for the rest of the turn to everything its effect describes, even if placed on the field after its activation. This means that any face-up Ghostrick card you control or face-down monster you control is protected by its effect.

Another Pendulum question:

What types of cards/effect can pendulum monsters in the pendulum zones interact with? I'm thinking they are treated as face-up spell cards, but not as a specific type of spell card, is this right?

eg, Mystical Space Typhoon can destroy them, but cyber prima can't.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Pendulum_Monster doesn't answer this one. Maybe someone should edit it.

I want to be able to explain accordingly at locals tomorrow

Another Pendulum question:

What types of cards/effect can pendulum monsters in the pendulum zones interact with? I'm thinking they are treated as face-up spell cards, but not as a specific type of spell card, is this right?

eg, Mystical Space Typhoon can destroy them, but cyber prima can't.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Pendulum_Monster doesn't answer this one. Maybe someone should edit it.

I want to be able to explain accordingly at locals tomorrow

That is correct. They are simply "face-up Spell Cards". They are not specific sub-Types. Cards that specifically destroy Continuous, Equip, or Field Spells cannot be used on Pendulum monsters in the Pendulum Zones. But cards that can destroy any type of Spell Card, such as MST or De-Spell can destroy them.

Also, the Wiki link DOES mention this (unless someone edited it between you posting and me seeing it. Second paragraph: "Although they are treated as Spells, they are special cards that are not treated as a Normal, Continuous, Field, Equip, Quick-Play or Ritual Spell cards"

My opponent activates Mystical Space Typhoon and targets my Dust Tornado. I chain Dust Tornado and target the face-down Michizure(casual duel with friend) and I set Dark Coffin in Dust Tornado's place. Does MST hit Dark Coffin or miss Dust Tornado?

Until the chain fully resolves, cards do not leave the Field unless removed by another card effect.

Link 1: MST, targeting Dust Tornado

Link 2: Dust Tornado, targeting Michizure.

Resolving backwards

Dust Tornado destroys Michizure (removing it from the field) and Sets Dark Coffin. You may not Set Dark Coffin unless you have an open S/T zone, as Dust Tornado is still on the Field during the resolution of the chain.

MST destroys the face-up Dust Tornado and it is removed from the Field. The chain is fully resolved and MST goes to the Graveyard.

Even if something happened so that Dust Tornado left the Field before resolving, and you chose to Set Coffin in Dust Tornado's old zone, MST will not destroy the new Set card because it was not targeting that card. Unless a card is targeting the S/T zone itself, and destroys whatever card is in that zone, placing a different card in that same zone will not result in its destruction.

CC question. Pendulum monster when activated as a Spell says "If this card would be sent to the Graveyard, shuffle it into the Deck instead." Does it still get shuffled into the Extra Deck when destroyed or "sent to the Graveyard" by an effect, or does it follow the card text and shuffle itself into the Deck"?

CC question. Pendulum monster when activated as a Spell says "If this card would be sent to the Graveyard, shuffle it into the Deck instead." Does it still get shuffled into the Extra Deck when destroyed or "sent to the Graveyard" by an effect, or does it follow the card text and shuffle itself into the Deck"?

It would shuffle itself into the Deck. Its effect overrides the usual rules for Pendulums.

If a Pendulum cannot go to the Graveyard (due to Macro Cosmos/etc) it will not go into the Extra Deck, so here, its own effect is preventing it from going to the Graveyard, so it won't go into the Extra Deck.

Random thought, let's say E-HERO Blazeman has used the effect that can change its attribute. If used as an Xyz material, at the end phase, would it stay as its new attribute or go back to being FIRE?

The main way I can think of this being significant is with Abyss Dweller and its ATK boost; I see its text says 'originally WATER' but figured it would be nice to get some input.

Random thought, let's say E-HERO Blazeman has used the effect that can change its attribute. If used as an Xyz material, at the end phase, would it stay as its new attribute or go back to being FIRE?

The main way I can think of this being significant is with Abyss Dweller and its ATK boost; I see its text says 'originally WATER' but figured it would be nice to get some input.

Technically, if this were possible, the answer would be no.

However, if you'll take a look at Blazeman, if you use that effect, you can't Special Summon non-Fusions for the remainder of that turn. Thus, Blazeman as an Xyz Material in this scenario would be impossible/cheating.

In theory, it can be used for specific Attribute-dependant Xyz, but would no longer be considered that Attribute once it ceases to be a monster. So if you used Blazeman as WATER (in theory) for Dweller, it would NOT be considered a WATER after it becomes an Xyz Material.

That won't conflict with any timing? Like if I summon Crane, then Graff kills itself, wouldn't Graff dying be the last thing?

Timing is only an issue if the Trigger happens during a chain or action (Tribute Summon/Synchro Summon). Since Graff doesn't use a Chain Link, there is no conflict with the timing "Crane Crane was successfully Normal Summoned".

Archived