Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

just making sure, Warning stops Neptabyss from taking a dump but Fiendish doesnt?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by this.

Fiendish Chain will not stop Neptabyss from sending a WATER monster from the Deck as the cost to activate its search effect, because the sending is a cost.

I'm not even sure what situation Warning is being used against Neptabyss. Neptabyss' Special Summon effect is unrelated to its Ignition Effect that sends a WATER to the Graveyard/

Warning is in response to the Normal Summon of Neptabyss. My opponent was wondering whether cost still applies which made me second guess since like Warning in response to Instant Fusion you still have to pay cost

Because the "send to search" effect is an Ignition Effect, Neptabyss must have been successfully Summoned and nothing activated in response to the Summon that would remove it from the Field (Bottomless, Torrential, Book of Moon, Compulsory, whatever). If Neptabyss' Summon is negated by Warning, it was never on the Field and definitely never was able to activate its Ignition Effect.

The difference between this and Instant Fusion is that Instant Fusion is a Spell Card that pays LP as a cost to activate. Warning negates this because it's an effect that Special Summons. Neptabyss is not an effect that Special Summons, it's an actual Summon attempt. There's no cost involved.

Can Naturia Beast negate the activation of a Pendulum monster being placed in the Pendulum zone because it's treated as a spell, or does it not work because it's technically a monster in hand?

Yes, Beast can negate you setting a Pendulum Scale because it is considered you activating a Spell Card.

if a monster has effect with hard opt (you can only use effect of "XXX" once per turn) activate its effect, then on the same turn opponent take control of it, can your opponent activate its effect? since technically your opponent hasnt use its effect this turn......

if a monster has effect with hard opt (you can only use effect of "XXX" once per turn) activate its effect, then on the same turn opponent take control of it, can your opponent activate its effect? since technically your opponent hasnt use its effect this turn......

No they cannot, it's still considered to have been used once that turn.

Actually I was wrong, turns out you can use it. As a sidenote, you cannot use the "Once per turn, this card cannot be destroyed" or similar though, since those keep applying, and they don't say "you", as that refers to the player.

http://forum.duelingnetwork.com/index.php?/topic/126786-once-per-turn-effect-question/

Evilswarm Ophion vs A Legendary Ocean. I have a Level 5 monster in hand. Can I SS it under ophion or no?

Yes, it looks at that Level it is in the hand, changed or otherwise, so you can. Similarly, you CANNOT Special Summon Qliphort monsters even though they would change their Levels, since they are still their original Level in the hand.

is there any ruling page for reference? i'm kind of curious since hard opt is not attached to the card itself like the soft opt, but the name and controller (i think)

Actually, turns out I was wrong. I edited my post from before to reflect that. Sorry, I jumped the gun here it seems.

If you MST an Aquarium Spell before it resolves, does it count as "on the field" and does it get it's SS effect? Is it the same if it's negated by Bribe or Magic Jammer?

Also Moon Mirror Shield + Aquarium Lighting, how does that work

If you MST an Aquarium Spell before it resolves, does it count as "on the field" and does it get it's SS effect? Is it the same if it's negated by Bribe or Magic Jammer?

Also Moon Mirror Shield + Aquarium Lighting, how does that work

I am 90% sure that it will activate in the first case. As for Bribe and Magic Jammer, it won't activate since the activation was negated, so it isn't considered to be on the field.

Both effects are mandatory, so they chain to each other, starting with the turn player's card. Simply resolve the effects in the order, then you will figure out what the ATK and DEF will be after they resolve.

Ultimaya vs Level Eater?

Its Level is considered to be 12, so you would be able to. Also, it has a Ruling:

"This card can be targeted by the effect of "Level Eater". Since this card is treated as a Level 12 monster, its Level is reduced to 11 and "Level Eater" is Special Summoned from the Graveyard."

Both effects are mandatory, so they chain to each other, starting with the turn player's card. Simply resolve the effects in the order, then you will figure out what the ATK and DEF will be after they resolve.

I control both, do I pick chain order?

Can Apoqliphort Towers be Tributed by Winged Dragon of Ra-Sphere Mode?

Also, does Goyo Guardian still get its effect under Necrovalley?

Yes. Even if Sphere Mode was an activated effect (it's not, it's a Summon condition), it's a Level 10, so Towers wouldn't be immune to it.

No, Necrovalley will negate Goyo's effect, because it negates any effects that would move a card from the Graveyard (other than by the effect of the card being moved).

How come Lightsworn Lumina can only summon the monster she discards if there's another target? I've never understood this.

You can only activate an effect if you have a legal target at the time of activation. Costs are paid before targeting (which is why you can target the card you discarded), but if there was no target originally, there's no guarantee that you're going to discard one, which would make the activation illegal in the first place.

The game state first verifies there IS a target before allowing you to try and activate the effect. If there's no target, you can't activate it.

But if there is a target, you are given the option to activate it. Once activated, you pay the cost, and then choose a target, which could include the card you just discarded. But without a target already there, you weren't given the option to activate because the game state can't find a legal target.

Archived