Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

According to the wiki, using The Monarchs Stormforth means it doesn't count as a Tribute Summon. Is that right? Because if it is the case then none of the Monarchs even get their effects off it being used and that seems like a very odd thing for an archetype support card to do.

You might be confused by the Wiki's wording.

Stormforth lets you Tribute an opponent's monster for a Tribute Summon, as if it were your monster being Tributed. But Stormforth does not, in itself, perform a Tribute Summon. It applies a condition to you as a player, letting you Tribute Summon using an opponent's monster. You can choose not to Tribute Summon using their monster, or not Tribute Summon at all.

But if you do Tribute Summon, the monster you Summon IS considered to have been Tribute Summoned.

Go through priority rules. Turn player (the one with the spirit monster here) can choose to activate/apply his effects here. If not, non turn player can choose to activate/apply an effect. If not, turn player now MUST apply a mandatory effect if he has one.

Veiler applies until the end of the turn, no longer until the End Phase. Furthermore, even if both players pass, you are not forced to apply a mandatory effect, policy just forces you to act to prevent endless passing.

*does not understand*

I thought priority was an old thing that was gone? Or are there different kinds of priority?

Responses like these are exactly why judges were instructed to cease using the term "priority" when fast effect timing was introduced. Players have the right to act, and pass that right between each other.

Priority as a mechanic remains the same, it is only ignition effect priority that was removed from the game; however, it is confusing for players who didn't understand the difference.

There is a reason the fast effect timing page doesn't use the word: http://www.yugioh-card.com/en/gameplay/fasteffects_timing.html

If I activate the effect of Relinquished, and my opponent chains Book of Moon, targeting Relinquished, what happens to the monster targeted by Relinquished's effect?

Nothing will happen to it. Cards cannot be equipped to facedown monsters, so Relinquished will resolve with no effect. The targeted monster will remain where it is.

Nope, I'm wrong.

If I activate the effect of Relinquished, and my opponent chains Book of Moon, targeting Relinquished, what happens to the monster targeted by Relinquished's effect?

It will be sent to the Graveyard by game mechanics since it cannot be equipped to a monster that is not face-up on the field.

Nothing will happen to it. Cards cannot be equipped to facedown monsters, so Relinquished will resolve with no effect. The targeted monster will remain where it is.

Incorrect. See above.

Ok, another question...

If I target a face-up monster with Relinquished's effect, and then Book of Moon is chained, targeting the monster I targeted with Relinquished's effect, is that monster still equipped? I know I can equip face-down monsters to Relinquished, but is that monster still treated as the target?

Ok, another question...

If I target a face-up monster with Relinquished's effect, and then Book of Moon is chained, targeting the monster I targeted with Relinquished's effect, is that monster still equipped? I know I can equip face-down monsters to Relinquished, but is that monster still treated as the target?

It doesn't care if the target is face-up or face-down, only that it's still a monster on the field, so it would be equipped.

Text says:

"You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; equip that target to this card."

Doesn't say face-up or face-down, just "monster".

It doesn't care if the target is face-up or face-down, only that it's still a monster on the field, so it would be equipped.

Text says:

"You can target 1 monster your opponent controls; equip that target to this card."

Doesn't say face-up or face-down, just "monster".

ok, thanks.

Can anyone help me figure out the effect type of Double Tributers? 

• Continuous ? sounds most likely to me, even though it's highly conditional, misleading to sound like other eff. type
  • Ignition ??? doesn't seem right.
  • Trigger ?? 
  • Flip
  • Quick

Here is an example of the most recent one i could find:

Chronomaly Mayan Machine:

"This card can be treated as 2 Tributes for the Tribute Summon of a Machine-Type monster."

Does the tribute start a chain? I know it can be negated by Skill Drain and Veiler, but negating it with Divine Wrath or such sounds silly, so my guess weight on Continuous. Still need reassurance of a pro with excessive knowledge.

Can anyone help me figure out the effect type of Double Tributers? 

• Continuous ? sounds most likely to me, even though it's highly conditional, misleading to sound like other eff. type
  • Ignition ??? doesn't seem right.
  • Trigger ?? 
  • Flip
  • Quick

Here is an example of the most recent one i could find:

Chronomaly Mayan Machine:

"This card can be treated as 2 Tributes for the Tribute Summon of a Machine-Type monster."

Does the tribute start a chain? I know it can be negated by Skill Drain and Veiler, but negating it with Divine Wrath or such sounds silly, so my guess weight on Continuous. Still need reassurance of a pro with excessive knowledge.

They are unclassified, some effects are not like Continuous Effects, nor like conditions, but something inbetween. They definitely do NOT activate, as that would put them in Trigger, Quick or Ingition always.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Unclassified_Effect

If Exciton Knight's effect is activated and Book of Moon chained, does Exciton go through or get stopped?

It still goes through. Resolving Exciton Knight is not dependant on Exciton still being faceup on the Field. All other cards will still be destroyed, but Exciton will be facedown.

I need some help on the rulings of these cards (Rampaging Rhino, Alien Infiltrator, Storm Shooter)  which these monsters can move to an adjacent unoccupied Monster Card Zone, in which I am left to believe you can move it to your opponents side of the field, if so is it still under my control while on my opponents side of the field?

Could not find any info anywhere on the rulings of these cards.

I need some help on the rulings of these cards (Rampaging Rhino, Alien Infiltrator, Storm Shooter)  which these monsters can move to an adjacent unoccupied Monster Card Zone, in which I am left to believe you can move it to your opponents side of the field, if so is it still under my control while on my opponents side of the field?

Could not find any info anywhere on the rulings of these cards.

No, they can't move to the opponent's field.

Adjacent means next to. You can move it to the left and right, but not across. If you have a monster in your 3rd monster card zone (counting from left to right), you can move it to Zone 2 or Zone 4.

for dn

if my card effect says to randomly discard a card from opponents hand

can i just ask them to shuffle their hand and can i just click one of their card or must i number their cards and do a die roll

You can do whatever you want, as long as it's random. Just make sure that your opponent is clear on what you want to do.

It's a Summon Condition. There isn't a colon or semi-colon in that part of the text, so it doesn't start a chain.

Actually it's an effect, it's only a Summoning condition as long as it's a Special Summon only monster. There's a great article about it here:

http://forum.duelingnetwork.com/index.php?/topic/129816-everything-you-need-to-know-about-special-summons/

Actually it's an effect, it's only a Summoning condition as long as it's a Special Summon only monster. There's a great article about it here:

http://forum.duelingnetwork.com/index.php?/topic/129816-everything-you-need-to-know-about-special-summons/

Well now, I feel you're needlessly complicating the answer by contradicting me, despite the answer not being incorrect other than by terminology. It is a very informative article, though.

U.A. are considered Summon monster effects. It is a card effect, but it doesn't start a chain. I would call it an inherent Summon, but the article says I shouldn't use that term. That's a shame, too, because unless I'm misunderstanding the context of the original question, this answer would be sufficient for almost all scenarios, since UA don't have any text restricting the methods it can be Summoned.

So, in summary: U.A. Summoning themselves is an effect. It's an effect that's classified as a "Summon Monster Effect". It does not use a chain.

A Summon Condition, by contrast, is a restriction imposed upon the monster that tells you how you are required to Summon the monster properly, and until you do, other card effects cannot Summon them.

I suppose I should just start asking for context why people want to know whether something is considered an effect or a Summon Condition so I don't make this mistake again.

Well now, I feel you're needlessly complicating the answer by contradicting me, despite the answer not being incorrect other than by terminology. It is a very informative article, though.

U.A. are considered Summon monster effects. It is a card effect, but it doesn't start a chain. I would call it an inherent Summon, but the article says I shouldn't use that term. That's a shame, too, because unless I'm misunderstanding the context of the original question, this answer would be sufficient for almost all scenarios, since UA don't have any text restricting the methods it can be Summoned.

So, in summary: U.A. Summoning themselves is an effect. It's an effect that's classified as a "Summon Monster Effect". It does not use a chain.

A Summon Condition, by contrast, is a restriction imposed upon the monster that tells you how you are required to Summon the monster properly, and until you do, other card effects cannot Summon them.

I suppose I should just start asking for context why people want to know whether something is considered an effect or a Summon Condition so I don't make this mistake again.

I wasn't trying to make it complicated, I was correcting you, and trying to be helpful.

This distinction needs to be made due to cards like Dark Ruler Ha Des, which can negate the effects of cards in the graveyard or other locations (e.g. Grapha).

Which leads me to my questions: According to the wikia OCG rulings, Dark Ruler Ha Des will negate Grapha's ability to revive itself. Does this carry over into TCG? Also, can I still attempt to use this ability by returning a Dark World monster to my hand, or am I cut off from even attempting the summon?

This distinction needs to be made due to cards like Dark Ruler Ha Des, which can negate the effects of cards in the graveyard or other locations (e.g. Grapha).

Which leads me to my questions: According to the wikia OCG rulings, Dark Ruler Ha Des will negate Grapha's ability to revive itself. Does this carry over into TCG? Also, can I still attempt to use this ability by returning a Dark World monster to my hand, or am I cut off from even attempting the summon?

That's a good point. The distinction is important.

Unless the TCG has issued a different ruling (or has any regional ruling differences, such as whether effects activate if they're removed from the area of activation before the chain is finished resolving), the TCG will still follow the OCG rulings.

If Ha Des destroys Grapha, Grapha's effect will be negated in the Graveyard and you will not be able to revive it by its own effect. You will not be able to return a Dark World to the hand, because that's not a cost. It's part of the effect that Special Summons Grapha. Since the effect is being negated, it cannot be used, and it doesn't start a chain, so you can't even declare an attempt to use it.

Archived