Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

A peculiar situation occured in a duel a few weeks ago on DevPro.

Fiendish Chain was used on my opponent's Clear Wing Synchro Dragon, and negated it.

The following turn, my opponent used Rank Up Magic Numeron Force to negate all face-up cards, which negated Fiendish Chain and Clear Wing's effects were restored.

My opponent's logic as to why this happened is that a card that has its effects negated cannot be negated again so Numeron Force didn't affect it. Is this correct?

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fiendish Chain was used on my opponent's Clear Wing Synchro Dragon, and negated it.

The following turn, my opponent used Rank Up Magic Numeron Force to negate all face-up cards, which negated Fiendish Chain and Clear Wing's effects were restored.

My opponent's logic as to why this happened is that a card that has its effects negated cannot be negated again so Numeron Force didn't affect it. Is this correct?

No. Clear Wing will also be affected by Numeron Force's blanket negation effect, the only difference is that Fiendish Chain is no longer negating Clear Wing. You can have multiple sources simultaneously negating the same effect. Blanket effects don't just ignore a card because it's already being negated. It will still consider it affected by said blanket effect.

That scenario is correct, as is the reasoning your opponent provided. When Numeron Force resolves, it can only negate Fiendish Chain, which subseqently stops negating Clear Wing.

EDIT: Holy sheet DevPro got something right.

No. Clear Wing will also be affected by Numeron Force's blanket negation effect, the only difference is that Fiendish Chain is no longer negating Clear Wing. You can have multiple sources simultaneously negating the same effect. Blanket effects don't just ignore a card because it's already being negated. It will still consider it affected by said blanket effect.

You cannot negate an effect that is already being negated.

That scenario is correct, as is the reasoning your opponent provided. When Numeron Force resolves, it can only negate Fiendish Chain, which subseqently stops negating Clear Wing.

EDIT: Holy sheet DevPro got something right.

You cannot negate an effect that is already being negated.

Really? Huh. That still seems odd to me that a blanket negation effect would ignore a card on the basis that it's already being negated by a different source. But I didn't bother looking up the situation before answering, so that's on me.

if an effect that allow a monster to make a second attack affect a monster that can attack more than 2 times, will it make the monster can only attack twice?

like when vision hero trinity is equipped with rocket hermos cannon, it can attack 2 or 3 times?

if an effect that allow a monster to make a second attack affect a monster that can attack more than 2 times, will it make the monster can only attack twice?

like when vision hero trinity is equipped with rocket hermos cannon, it can attack 2 or 3 times?

I am pretty certain that you cannot attack more than what the maximum number of attacks is for that monster that turn.

I am pretty certain that you cannot attack more than what the maximum number of attacks is for that monster that turn.

yeah i know it wont raise it more than 3 times, but will it reduce the number of attack  to 2? because i remember reading something about if multiple attacker is affected by attack twice effect, it will only be able to attack 2 times that turn, regardless of its original number of attack 

edit: found it, but still not sure if its appled to trinity, which have a fixed number of attack instead of all attacker

Question time. :3

Say my opponent attacks my face down Ghostrick Jiangshi. Yada yada they both live he ends his turn. During my main phase I use Jiangshi's effect to set itself. I'm able to flip summon her after I use that effect right? Cause like it was set with an effect? Or something around tat area? Lol.

My understanding is that the limit is determined by the highest number, and these effects don't stack. Since Trinity can attack up to 3 times, its maximum number of attacks is 3, even if you equip it with Rocket Hermos Cannon or Twin Swords of Flashing Light.

Question time. :3

Say my opponent attacks my face down Ghostrick Jiangshi. Yada yada they both live he ends his turn. During my main phase I use Jiangshi's effect to set itself. I'm able to flip summon her after I use that effect right? Cause like it was set with an effect? Or something around tat area? Lol.

This is correct. Since Jiangshi was Set by its own effect, it doesn't count as your once-per-turn manual Battle Position change. This same rule applies to cards like Des Lacooda or Stealth Bird. 

I ram Fire Hand into a thing and it dies and I have Thousand Blades in graveyard. Can I fully resolve both of them?

I'm not sure why not.

Activating an effect doesn't count as an event for 'missing the timing', so that wouldn't be a problem. As far as I can see, the only thing that could prohibit you being able to use both of them to full effect is if you couldn't use one of them, which would be accomplished by either:

• You already used the effect of Thousand Blade this turn

• Your opponent doesn't have a monster to target after Fire Hand is sent to the graveyard.

I've heard 2 different things about "before dmg cal"

So like Ehren's eff. If it attacks a def monster, before dmg cal, it bounces the monster out.

Heard they changed Ehren's ruling at YCS tourney to where the monster would flip, flip effect triggers, then bounce out.

My argument is on the U.A penalty box. It's the same as Ehren's ocg. And I can't find rulings on it.

Question is, Does the monster flip up if atk by an U.A before it gets banish?

Is Dark Balter the Terrible's negation effect compulsory? It looks like it is but it is pretty unclear, supposing it is an old card.

Old card text had a poor mentality by today's standards for conveying whether or not an effect was optional or mandatory. Effects were optional unless expressly stated otherwise. Compare the original text of Cannon Soldier with the original text of Doomcaliber Knight. Dark Balter the Terrible's effect is optional.

The rulings on it seem to indicate that it is optional.

They're incredibly ambiguous, especially given how notorioursly poorly written many rulings were from that era.

I've heard 2 different things about "before dmg cal"

So like Ehren's eff. If it attacks a def monster, before dmg cal, it bounces the monster out.

Heard they changed Ehren's ruling at YCS tourney to where the monster would flip, flip effect triggers, then bounce out.

My argument is on the U.A penalty box. It's the same as Ehren's ocg. And I can't find rulings on it.

Question is, Does the monster flip up if atk by an U.A before it gets banish?

U.A. Penalty Box does not activate at the same time as Ehren. Ehren activates "before damage calculation" which is after a set monster is flipped face-up. U.A. Penalty Box activates "at the start of the damage step" which is before the monster is flipped face-up.

How Ehren works has not changed. Premier events in territories under KDE-US' jurisdiction have been doing their own thing regarding effects that activate in a specific plance and then the card changing location after being triggered but before activation. You can go back a few pages to read up on that.

can you activate trigger effect that trigger on activation of card with X action if another card or effect is already chained to that activation?

like when you activate any burn effect, opponent, chain a card, can you still use Performage Stilts Shooter in response to the burn effect?

can you activate trigger effect that trigger on activation of card with X action if another card or effect is already chained to that activation?

like when you activate any burn effect, opponent, chain a card, can you still use Performage Stilts Shooter in response to the burn effect?

Depends on what the card is that is being Chained, if it's another Trigger Effect, yes you can, if it isn't, you cannot. A good example is Number 39: Utopia, which cannot activate its effect if another card is used first, for example Mirror Force. Also, if it's cards that activate in the hand such as Gorz the Emissary of Darkness, you may only activate one of them in the hand at a time. Also, Performage Stilts is a Quick Effect, not a Trigger Effect, so that's a bit different, in that you can only activate it it response to the effect itself, so if another card was activated before that, you would not be able to anymore. For example, trying to negate an activation of a card or effect must respond directly to that card or effect to be activated.

what exactly should happen if i have Queen of Thorns in play, my opponent Pendulum Summons Conquest Overlord Kaiser, and i chain lose 1 turn?

edit: yes i realize that i shouldn't have chained lose 1 turn because i controlled a ssed monster, but what would the interaction between Kaiser and Queen of Thorns be; would my opponent take 1000 or not? also what would it's interaction with lose 1 turn be; would he be negated or lose 1? 

Archived