Yu-Gi-Oh! Rulings Questions

So, in summary: U.A. Summoning themselves is an effect. It's an effect that's classified as a "Summon Monster Effect". It does not use a chain.

It is an effect that does not have a classification.  

That's a good point. The distinction is important.

Unless the TCG has issued a different ruling (or has any regional ruling differences, such as whether effects activate if they're removed from the area of activation before the chain is finished resolving), the TCG will still follow the OCG rulings.

If Ha Des destroys Grapha, Grapha's effect will be negated in the Graveyard and you will not be able to revive it by its own effect. You will not be able to return a Dark World to the hand, because that's not a cost. It's part of the effect that Special Summons Grapha. Since the effect is being negated, it cannot be used, and it doesn't start a chain, so you can't even declare an attempt to use it.

I've already shown, using the rulebook, that it is an effect, and we all know that effects can be negated. You have all the information you need to determine whether or not the ruling applies in the TCG.

Returning the card is a cost to summon Grapha; however, you cannot pay it if you cannot apply the effect (e.g. It is being negated).

Vampire Grace is another example of a card this is relevant for. You can summon Vanpire Grace when Goka, the Pyre of Malice is summoned by its effect, but not when a Vampire Genesis is summoned through the method prescribed on its text, Vampire Grace cannot be summoned.

• Replies 16.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can a card effect that has "you cannot conduct your Battle Phase the turn you activated this effect" or something similar be activated during the first turn?

Yes it can, only cards that have to do with you attacking, suck as direct attacks or double attacks cannot be used if you can't conduct your Battle Phase, but you can still use cards like that even if you can't conduct the Battle Phase already. Similarly, you can use them in the opponent's turn as well, such as Artifact Sanctum.

If Stardust Dragon doesn't respond to the activation of Exploder Dragon during the Damage Step, then why Can Cyber Dragon Infinity Respond to Honest during the same step?

Stardust CAN negate Exploder Dragon, though.

And the reason is because Quick Effects that negate an effect's activation can be used during the Damage Step.

If Stardust Dragon doesn't respond to the activation of Exploder Dragon during the Damage Step, then why Can Cyber Dragon Infinity Respond to Honest during the same step?

I am a little bit confused about what you are trying to say here. Exploder Dragon and Honest don't have the same timing, and you are saying that Stardust Dragon isn't responding to anything, but Infinity can. You can do both in the Damage Step though.

Question on Limiter Removal + Number 81: Rail Cannon Dora/Divine Knight Felgrand:

If I apply Limiter Removal's effect on Dora, or any Machine monster, and before the turn ends I apply Dora's effect on itself, or Felgrand's in the Machine respectively, what happens?

a. The effect of Limiter is cancelled or dispelled (so to speak), removing the ATK boost but also saving the monster from Limiter's End Phase destruction.

or

b. Limiter's effect isn't dispelled, since it already resolved successfully, and the monster is destroyed during the End Phase by Limiter's effect anyway.

Question on Limiter Removal + Number 81: Rail Cannon Dora/Divine Knight Felgrand:

If I apply Limiter Removal's effect on Dora, or any Machine monster, and before the turn ends I apply Dora's effect on itself, or Felgrand's in the Machine respectively, what happens?

a. The effect of Limiter is cancelled or dispelled (so to speak), removing the ATK boost but also saving the monster from Limiter's End Phase destruction.

or

b. Limiter's effect isn't dispelled, since it already resolved successfully, and the monster is destroyed during the End Phase by Limiter's effect anyway.

B.

Limiter already successfully resolved, so making the affected monster immune to card effects afterwards doesn't change anything. It will still have double ATK, and still die during the End Phase because those are lingering effects.

Same ruling as Limiter vs Forbidden Lance.

If I have my opponent's card in my hand due to Exchange, and PSYFrame Lord Omega banishes it, during the End Phase does it return to my hand (from which it was banished), or does it return to the owner's hand?

The only card that seems to keep control away from an owner after a card leaves the purview of the effect is Interdimensional Matter Transporter, and even so, in all the cases the rulings give, while it returns to the controllers field, whatever effects that allowed them to keep it have worn off (Big Eye, Brain Control, Snatch Steal, etc) so they immediately revert to their owner.

It doesn't cover how robust the lasting effect of Exchange is, or when a card leaves from the hand, so I'm inclined to say that in this case it would follow the normal "return to owner if it goes anywhere" rule.

If I have my opponent's card in my hand due to Exchange, and PSYFrame Lord Omega banishes it, during the End Phase does it return to my hand (from which it was banished), or does it return to the owner's hand?

The only card that seems to keep control away from an owner after a card leaves the purview of the effect is Interdimensional Matter Transporter, and even so, in all the cases the rulings give, while it returns to the controllers field, whatever effects that allowed them to keep it have worn off (Big Eye, Brain Control, Snatch Steal, etc) so they immediately revert to their owner.

It doesn't cover how robust the lasting effect of Exchange is, or when a card leaves from the hand, so I'm inclined to say that in this case it would follow the normal "return to owner if it goes anywhere" rule.

It should return to the player that had it in hand when the effect resolved.

Whenever a card removes a card from the Field temporarily and then returns it, it goes to the player who controlled it. The examples you cited are cases where the control was TEMPORARY, or a continuous effect was neutralized as a result of leaving the Field.

- Brain Control wore off and control reverts. The monster returns to the controller's Field, then switches to the owner.

- Snatch Steal left the Field, so the equipped monster is no longer equipped, and control reverts. Same as above.

- Big Eye is permanent. Control remains as is.

Exchange's control is permanent until the pilfered card is sent somewhere that is under the owner's jurisdiction (hand, Deck, Graveyard, banish). But if the banish is temporary until later, it will return to the player that controlled it when the effect resolved.

Say I use book of moon on a monster taken from me with comic hand. Since the monster gets set, comic hand is destroyed. Do I get the monster back? Or does he keep it because it was set or something?

It will remain under the control of the new owner. Only cards that temporarily change control will return back.

http://forum.duelingnetwork.com/index.php?/topic/88227-snatch-steal-falling-down/

If my opponent activates the effect of Burgesstoma Anomalocaris to destroy a card on the field, can I respond with Cairngorgon to target something else, or will Anomalo's immunity to monster effects prevent me from doing so?

The effect changes the targeted card, so it would only make sense that it was unaffected by it, but don't quote me on that.

how can dupe frogs miss timing

also if 2 are destroyed on my field at the same time e.g. raigeki, do i only get one eff?

Dupe Frog can miss the timing in a lot of ways, actually.

- Sent to Graveyard/Tributed as a cost, or other situations where two parts of an effect are not considered to happen simultaneously.

- Tributed for a Tribute Summon, or used as Synchro Material.

- Sent to the Graveyard during Chain Link 2 or higher

If two are sent to the Graveyard simultaneously, you will get both of their effects, because their Triggers were fulfilled at the same time, so they will chain together. One will be Chain Link 1, the other Chain Link 2.

Does Tyrant's Throes prevent me from "Gemini Summoning" Gemini monsters? Also, does it prevent me from summoning Gemini monsters from my hand/deck/banished?

You will not be able to Gemini Summon, because that's considered the Normal Summon of an effect monster. You will not be able to Summon Gemini monsters from the hand (they're Effect Monsters in the hand), the Deck (Effect Monsters in Deck) or banish (Effect Monsters in banish). They are only considered Normal Monsters when already on the Field or in the Graveyard.

I've gotten myself to a point where I can reasonably assess most situations and understand most things in the game, but the problems caused by an effect saying "when" instead of "if" seem like unnecessary complication and I prefer to avoid "when" cards on DN just so I don't end up arguing over things I don't understand myself.

On another note, if something like Red-Eyes Black Flare Dragon, which prevents activation of effects until the end of the damage step, kills a Tricklown, can Tricklown's or similar card's effects that activate on destruction be used or no?

I've gotten myself to a point where I can reasonably assess most situations and understand most things in the game, but the problems caused by an effect saying "when" instead of "if" seem like unnecessary complication and I prefer to avoid "when" cards on DN just so I don't end up arguing over things I don't understand myself.

On another note, if something like Red-Eyes Black Flare Dragon, which prevents activation of effects until the end of the damage step, kills a Tricklown, can Tricklown's or similar card's effects that activate on destruction be used or no?

There isn't a whole lot to it really, but if you still need help, this page should help:

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Missing_the_timing

It cannot activate, it activates when it's sent to the Graveyard, if destroyed by battle, it is still in the Damage Step when it is sent to the Graveyard.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Breakdown_of_the_Battle_Phase

There isn't a whole lot to it really, but if you still need help, this page should help:

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Missing_the_timing

It cannot activate, it activates when it's sent to the Graveyard, if destroyed by battle, it is still in the Damage Step when it is sent to the Graveyard.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Breakdown_of_the_Battle_Phase

It's the use of the word "until" confusing me again with regards effect activations. Since even that breakdown says cards are sent at the end of the damage step, and the effects say they prevent things until that point.

To my understanding, effects that prevent things that activate until the End of the Damage Step apply all the way up to "You can now choose another monster to attack". So that'd prevent things that activate when sent to the Graveyard, or cards that activate when something is destroyed by battle, such as Hero Signal and such.

Archived